Clear Channel Communications Employee Reviews

This Company is the Poster Child for How Deregulation Destroyed Radio
On-air Talent (Former Employee) –  Several locationsJune 27, 2013
This company is more than $80-billion in debt and the work culture grows worse and worse each year. They grabbed up way too many stations, as deregulation allowed, then got upside down in a lot of them. The infrastructure of the company is in shambles for on-air people. Constant equipment failures and tech problems, and the work load has become inhumane for people who are on-air, unless they see you as a valuable talk show host.

As AM radio especially drops in ratings, they have rebranded themselves as a full service communications company, not just a radio company and have embraced social media, which is fine. However management assumes that if you are over the age of 40 that you don't know anything about social media, which is tragic and untrue. Don't bother to apply if you are over the age of 40. They have an unspoken policy of age discrimination because of their new direction. They put no value on experience, judgment, hard work or dependability, or even talent if age is a factor.

I've worked for this company twice in the past decade in two different states. In the last station, I was valued by my immediate supervisors, and the co-workers who were doing the hard work, but they no longer had any say in my hiring or advancement. Hiring decisions were made by upper management people in and out of the station, with no experience in the department, no contact or presence in the department. Those management decision makers are completely disconnected from the actual situation and have no experience or understanding of what goes on, or what the problems are.

Young candidates
  more... are given blatant preference for full-time jobs (older folks are welcome to work the graveyard part-time shifts), and the young ones turn out little or no work other than just on-air reading, and spend most of the day on their personal Facebook pages. But those who make the hiring decisions are never around to see it. They think that by having "20 somethings" on-air, even through they can't be seen, that somehow younger listeners will follow, even in traditionally older formats like news. One where I worked kept quitting, couldn't find another job and they kept hiring him back.

They also discriminate in pay levels for women, and have been sued numerous times in the past for it, but never change. Tragically, because they own and have destroyed so many stations, there is little choice for any on-air person but working for CC, and no choice for older on-air people, who are repeatedly rejected based on age alone, have no place to go and will find it difficult to translate their radio skills into another field, especially if they are over 40.
Pros
good co-workers and good people doing their best
Cons
a company that actively discriminates against people over 40
Great place to work of you aren't a single parent
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 27, 2014
I was contracted through a temp agency to work for Clear Channel Outdoor. It was hard work and understaffed. I loved it. I stayed busy and most of the time the day flew by. People had their clicks, just like any job. The parts I wasn't crazy about, if the supervisor or team lead did not like you, you were not going to last there. Even with doing a great job and surprising everyone with how fast you catch on, this did not matter if you were not liked. Things were done or forgot to be done if you were that person. I was really not liked because when I caught onto what was happening I started emailing my request so I may have a paper trail. Well, they got me. The weekend before I was let go my infant daughter was hospitalized from Friday night to Sunday evening (this was during my days off). I went back to work during my normal shift on Monday with no issues. Tuesday, while at work, I was called saying my daughter was running a temperature and needed to get picked up. I informed the proper people of the situation. I was told that was fine but to make sure I set my away message on my email until Monday. I was told this is standard to set it up like that. It didn't sound right but I did as I was told and had to go pick up my child. Due to my child being hospitalized just a few days earlier, I had to take her into her doctors to be checked. I informed the proper parties about the soonest appointment was the next day and I had to go due to paperwork that had to be signed. I was told that was fine and they will see me the next day. The evening of the next day I was called by the temp  more... agency saying I was being let go due to the two days I took off. I was surprised but yet was not. I was upset with the supervisor and team lead because of the lie that was told for them to let me go. Other than that, I loved the job I did, most of the people I worked with, and the pay was decent.  less
Pros
good pay, great hours, a lot of work making the day fly by.
Cons
you had to suck up to team lead and supervisor, watch your back when you are not liked, a little more unorganized than i like, understaffed.
Exciting work place filled with road trips
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAJuly 8, 2013
I would arrive at the office fifteen minutes before my shift in order to look at the schedule and research the venue we would be visiting that day. I would then meet up with my partner for the day and we would load the car with our sound equipment and giveaways and head out to our destination. We, typically, worked at concerts and events that the radio station was putting on but we also worked at events such as state fairs and grand openings. Our job was to set up a booth, play music from the station, and invite potential listeners over to talk with us and hand out freebies.

This job taught me how to think practically and entertain a crowd of people. I also learned how to say no to customers who were simply trying to take advantage of our employers generosity by grabbing an excessive amount of giveaways. It was always a good time setting up the booth and music with my partner because the variety of employees allowed for a different dynamic at every event. There was never a dull moment!

The hardest part of this job was learning how to work with unruly weather conditions and adapting to miscommunication between our employer and the staff working at the event but we were always able to work through it and get the job done. I can honestly say I enjoyed every part of this job. It always felt like we were putting on a mini party for the guests of the venue and it was nice knowing that we were being appreciated for being there.
Pros
access to venues, tickets to concerts, mingling with a variety of people
Cons
no health benefits
ex UK Employee Clearchannel Outdoor
posting operative (Former Employee) –  South West UKMay 7, 2013
worked for clearchannel UK outdoor, posting and servicing ad displays from 2000 to 2006 when i had an accident due to other workers not bothering to do there job and management insisting i service unsafe plant.
as someone else here said managers are only interested in making themselves look good to higher bosses.

from 2006 to 2012 i am off sick , no pay out from the sick scheme one is told will look after you if you join the pension plan, (clearchannel lies), 2012 i am asked to leave the company as there is no chance of me returning due to the injury clearchannel caused me and no compensation either, so to date may 2013, i am around £126,000 out of pocket due to lost pay, then theirs the lost pension on top.

there was racist issues around mangers who only get moved to let the issues die down. i write to bob pitman ceo and he dosent respond (they say rot starts at the top bob)(management seem to forget that with out the low lives yep the guys that do all the physical graft, there would be no clearchannel) i notice that all contact phone numbers and addresses are slowly being moved from the clearchannel web sites in favour of contact forms, i wonder why,
company is totally focused on money, i could go on but think i better stop here.

good bunch of guys to work with though
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
bad management
Educational and fun, but untrusting.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 5, 2014
Working as an intern at Clear Channel Communications was a very educational experience, and I learned a lot about the radio business. The employees who worked there were all very kind and inviting. However, they would rarely give the inexperienced interns like myself any challenging jobs, instead relying on interns who had been there for a longer time or other employees. Most of the tasks I was asked to do were simply office work. While I had no issue doing them, I felt as though it would have been more rewarding if I had been given the chance to at least watch the audio editing. That being said I did learn a lot about the radio business and I have many fond memories working there. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been the song segueing, which is simply making the time between songs going on air as short as possible. I needed to listen to the beginning and end of each song and decide when the best time would be for me to transition to the next song. Many of the other employees there thought it was a tedious task, but to me it was the task that made me feel like I was working for a big radio station the most.
Pros
educational, friendly employees
Cons
office work, no pay
Great Vision. Lacking Talent to Execute.
Director of Marketing & Digital Programming (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 20, 2012
Superior vision and foresight at the corporate level. Balanced risk taking with strong research to bolster direction. The 30,000 foot vision is ground breaking in an industry sorely lacking visionaries. However, the private equity style of management at the local market level is sorely lacking and short sighted. Great vision cannot be implemented by spreadsheets and algorithmic processes. The lack of value placed on the people (the few that remain) who work to implement the vision of the company is saddening. Great ideas stacked upon great ideas topped with broad sweeping statements of accountability fall of deaf ears at the front line of the local markets. The workload of those activating at the local level is unfathomable. The stress level at the local level is unbearable. There is no work / life balance. Sixty hour work weeks are the "reward for being employed".

Bottom line: Sell it to Google or Facebook.
No job security, the company is going under quickly
sales (Former Employee) –  floridaMay 9, 2014
many people that work at clear channel are brilliant, creative, and hard working. co-workers are nice sometimes if you are in a clique. management is only concerned about themselves and will cut anyone out quickly.

-no job advancement. at least one lay off a year. (just google "clear channel mist tunnel" or "clear channel debt")

-terrible benefits. no pay raises. (unless you have been there over 15 years of course)

-horrible management structure

-no training (training materials are made often by clueless interns or assistants with no media experience or training)

-no inter-department communication

-work load is always growing, with no pay raises. ever
Pros
free event tix. free food from restaurants with little or no advertising budgets
Cons
free food and concert tix do not amount to horrible health benefits, constant lay-offs, terrible treatment and gossip from management, and no pay increase as work load doubles
Poorly managed company, with relatively no room for advancement
Promotions (Former Employee) –  SarasotaNovember 13, 2013
The good part of the job was getting to meet the artists and enjoy the shows, the rest of the job was awful. There is no chance for advancement in this company, when a position DOES open up, instead of hiring from their branch, they pull in somebody from another branch of Clear Channel. You get treated as an inferior by all of management, and they don't follow protocol with their operations. My biggest complaint is their poor treatment of employees, they'll act like they care when they need you to do something extra, then turn completely 2-faced when you need something. They give no raises, and have pocketed "additional fees" that are supposed to go directly to the people working the event. Awful company to work for, I DO NOT recommend. Go work at CBS or AOL Radio instead.
Pros
getting to meet the artists and enjoy the concert events
Cons
treatment of employees and low compensation
Warning: Bain Capital owns Clear Channel!!
Sales Executive/Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 9, 2012
Working at Clear Channel used to be a pretty good experience. But since Bain Capital purchased the company in 2008 the overall work environment has slowly been going down and has finally hit rock bottom. Not sure about the rest of the markets, but the overall morale in Miami is probably very similar to that of a sweatshop. Extremely high employee turnover, no training to new hires, very low pay and commissions, bad management practices, long hours with zero incentives, poor benefits, short-staffed and over worked, extremely low morale.The job requires lots of driving but the company doesn't provide any vehicle or gas expenses.They expect their employees to produce a lot with the bare minimum.

Hitting their bottom line it’s all that matters.
Pros
less and less every year
Cons
low pay, long hours, no benefits, low morale, over worked, new hire job security
THE START OF A BEAUTIFUL CAREER!
Program Director/On-Air Personality (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 2, 2014
ALWAYS AN EXCITING DAY IS INSTORE FOR YOU WHEN YOU WORK FOR CLEAR CHANNEL COMMUNICATIONS, WETHER INDOOR (radio, television) OR OUTDOOR (concerts, billboards).
I LEARNED WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE IN THE TOP 5 MARKET AND THE RESPONSIBILTIES.
WORKED WITH TOP OF THE LINE MANAGEMENT FROM 1988 UNTIL 2001 (Philadelphia).
THE TEAM (co-workers) WAS AND 'TIL THIS DAY FAMILY, WITH #1 RATINGS TO PROVE IT, IN ALL DAYPARTS!
THERE WAS NEVER AN OPSTICAL OR HARD PART OF THE JOB WE COULD NOT HANDLE.
MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF CLEAR CHANNEL AT THAT TIME WAS THEY ALWAYS GAVE US GREAT #1 RATINGS RECOGNITION DINNERS AND LUNCHS, SOMETIMES JUST FOR THE HECK OF IT!
ALWAYS SOMETHING UNEXPECTED (Full staff meetings in the parking lot, BBQ's, club parties, etc.).
Pros
made friends til the end, excitement, money
Cons
from 1988 til 2001 nothing i can think of!
The best company to work with
Administrative Traffic /Continuity Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2013
A typical day at work, was very interesting. I started as an assistant
and I really like my Boss. She made me who I am. I learn so much from her. She was very careful in teaching me the steps and procedures to follow so I can understand why every detail was important. My co-workers were very nice to everyone. I really enjoyed their company. We were a great group and it was a family oriented company. The hardest part of the job was, getting out of the office on time, there was so much work, that we all ended up leaving 1 hour late. The most enjoyable part of the job, was That I was learning something new everyday, I even learn to work closely with the production dept. I was an incredible experience. If I had the chance, I would go back to work with them.
Pros
free lunches, tickets to concerts, movies
Cons
small company
A fun and energetic industry to work in.
Senior Key Account Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, OregonAugust 3, 2015
Worked with fun, energetic sales and management team along with the personalities on air and all of the support staff behind the scenes. The Sales team worked closely together to develop and grow sales for each radio station which often meant teaming up to call on client to ensure we would be able to meet and maximize on all the potential for the customer and the company. Management was very supportive to whatever the needs may be to help assist and drive sales. The work environment was very professional and friendly. The hardest part of the job was to find new prospects which required organizing yourself to take time to prospect new business on a daily basis. The job was very rewarding both professionally and financially.
Pros
Media perks such as concert tickets, theater, restaurants.
Broadcast radio host
Radio Personality (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNMarch 29, 2013
Up at 3am, at station by 4 then two hours of show prep, reading and picking entertainment for the day's show. Then it's four hours of live talk with music and callers. It's a rush. Riding the board as it is called, doing ten things at once and having it all come out perfectly, that's the best. Knowing that you're there to entertain and inform and that your listeners depend on you, relate with you, count on you, that's the most rewarding part. Hardest part was the hours, low pay, lack of security. I learned more and more software and tech as radio changed over the years. It's an amazing career.
Pros
i was the host, i made the decisions and i excelled at it, i kept the listeners happy and was known for my on air branding, sense of humor and dependability
Cons
hours, not recession proof
High energy environment
Switchboard Operator, Voice (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 1, 2012
Typically I would check in with the Human Resource Manager to see what her assignments were for me today. Normally I would be in the traffic department clearing affidavits, Accounts Payable clearing invoices or switchboard operator. What I learned from this experience was how to multi task and work in a balloon company that hosts many others. My co workers were great in teaching me the ins and outs of the company. The hardest part of the job was when I worked on recording commercials for the radio stations and talking without an accent. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning everything about radio.
Pros
meeting new people, knowledge gained
Cons
no room for employment
productive and fun workplace
Television Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2013
• Gathered and compiled raw data by researching Nielsen rating books and computer databases to conduct surveys and reports referencing trends and/or statistics.
• Served as right hand to research manager of media group while conducting orientation for analysts, account executives, and interns.
• Coordinated training classes for new analysts in Nielsen media research applications and communicated assignments and deadlines to the research team.
• Created market analysis, sports, and entertainment presentations for West Central region Television Stations in Microsoft Office.
Pros
company parties
Cons
no advancement and no additional training
Very Clique Organazation
Employee (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 14, 2012
If you are not in the clique, you are expendable. I had no time to socialize, or be in the clique. Clear Channel has no job security, they are always looking to cut, cut, cut, even to the detrimate of the company. No matter how successfull you were, when budgets came around you could be, and eventually were on the chopping block. It was a place where you constantly had to look over your shoulder. I had no one to back me up, so I never had a chance to take a long vacation. I could only take a long weekend to burn up my vacation time. No advancement opportunities, dead end job.
Pros
i was able to work at a heritage station.
Cons
the corporate climate made it less enjoyable working at that heritage station
Fun place to work, horrible pay, rough hours
Promotions assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 21, 2012
I worked for this company making $7.00 an hour (lower than what minimum wage was raised above immediately after I left) The job was SO fun for someone who is as social as me! As long as you see it as I did as a "paid social life" it's a great job. I worked here part time because I could not afford to pay my bills living in the DC area on $7.00 an hour. My boss here, who was full time, made A LOT less than I did at my full time job alone ($14.00 an hour) and she worked about 60-70 hours per week. Good old salary for "upper level" positions.
Pros
fun, used to get free event passes (no longer), met famous musicians
Cons
drunk and disrespectful clients, horrible pay, little to no benefits
Radio Sales-Don't do it!
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Central FloridaApril 5, 2012
Upper management, like many large companies, only cares about the bottom line. You will only be a number to them. Corporate initiatives are ENDLESS. They are not too concerned about clients either and what's in their best interest. You will constantly be asked to jam a new initiative down a clients throat. It's ONLY about the bottom line, nothing more and nothing less. It's a job, not a career. Benefits are terrible at Clear Channel, which for a company that size simply shows that the bottom line is the only thing that matters.
Pros
fun at times, free food often, concert tickets
Cons
benefits, management, corporate initiatives, this job will take your soul
No F/T work. Some workers are more equal than others.
Asst. Producer (Former Employee) –  los angeles,caMay 16, 2013
Typical day at work is help run contests, screen calls, and maybe help book guests. Sometimes dependent on others who are not necessarily reliable. You have the company's license in your hands... and they pay you like you have the companies dirty towels in your hands. If you kiss the right behinds you might be part of the blessed ones who are on the "in" with management.
Pros
no one cares if you do a good job but you are left alone to do it., good equipment., good opportunity for hands-on experience., famous stations
Cons
no teamwork., if you got f/t work you still worry you'll lose your job when the next cuts come, lunchroom dirty.
Clear Channel Communication A change in motion
Information Systems Audit Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 19, 2014
Clear Channel is a large ship changing its course of direction and with that comes the growing pains of reduction in force and also the fact that the company is wanting to expand.
with that in mind, positions in my department were not back filled making it difficult for some departments and employees to conduct their job while wearing many hats.
I enjoyed the traveling aspect of my Job and the People are hard workers and dedicated.
the hardest part of the job was trying to keep abreast of the job skill sets that senior management wanted to implement usage of.