Clearwater Marine Aquarium Employee Reviews

Typical non-profit issues
Operations (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Co-workers, mission
Cons: Pay, work conditions, crowds
The best part of this job has been the people I met. The heat, the crowds, and the chaos during busy seasons are the worst parts. You won't make hardly any money and will work very hard for the small paycheck. But sometimes you see a kid with cancer or in a wheelchair smiling because they met Winter and your day feels meaningful. Not a long term career place unless you're in animal care or executive level. Still, probably a lot more meaningful work than the other seasonal tourist attraction jobs Clearwater has to offer.
fun work place
Ticketing Agent/ Cashier (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLJuly 10, 2015
I love being around people and i love challenges. I very much enjoyed going into work at the aquarium and i liked my co workers as well. I like how some times it would be challenging to work there because i some times had to deal with customer complaints, but i always satisfied the customer. I loved seeing the animals everyday and watching them do tricks on my breaks, that would have to be my favorite part. But i never wanted to skip a day of work because i really enjoyed it.
Fun, fast-paced, and busy work environment
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLOctober 3, 2014
A typical day at work for Clearwater Marine Aquarium was always an experience. On any given day, one might see 500 to 3,000+ people. Duties include stocking the floor, assisting guests, working the register and maintaining the overall presence of the floor. It is a very fast-paced environment with high expectations. I learned a plethora of new things from working here including: how to maintain a calm and level-head in an extremely high-stress work environment, how to be a good leader among co-workers, how to maintain professionalism among high profile guests, and knowledge of inventory and merchandising. I have great relationships with my co-workers and always maintain the team-player attitude. The hardest part of this job is constantly working under very heavy stress. The crowds, the heat, and the level of excitement is a lot to get used to, but once you grow accustomed to this type of environment, the job becomes very enjoyable. It is a truly amazing experience to be part of such a world-renowned team. The work that the aquarium does through rescue, rehabilitation and release of marine animals is inspiring to all and definitely makes me proud to call myself a team member. Seeing eyes light up and excitement on the faces of people of all ages and from all over the world absolutely makes this job a worthwhile experience.
Fun and exciting place to work
Intern (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLJune 28, 2014
Great place to work. Very family like. It is nice they make it based to make the children happy because that is the most important part. The kids com first, and at a camp, that's how it should be.
Great place
Volunteer (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLNovember 9, 2013
I loved my time at the aquarium! I always had something to do and this was something that I loved. I feel a deep connection to the place and I am sure that everyone that works or volunteers there feels exactly the same way.
Fun workplace with dolphins
Retail - Team Lead (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLJuly 22, 2013
Pros: you get to see animals every day
Cons: it can get so busy you can not walk through an aisle.
It is a joy to work there even though it is busy and constantly changing.
Awful place to work
Operations Hostess (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLMay 16, 2013
Very unprofessional place to work, the benefits are okay since you get to go to places for free, but the managers and other employees treat you like garbage and cut your hours drastically, even when you show up on time every shift and even if you cover for other people and stay late, they don't thank you for it and get mad at you for things you don't even do wrong.
Too Much
Events Coordinator (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLApril 23, 2013
You will be expected to the jobs of 3 people and will be repremanded when you (1 person) cant get them done
Great place to visit and work.
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLJanuary 31, 2013
I am only working part-time temporary at this time. I have enjoyed working at the aquarium. I have learned a POS system and increased my customer service skills. This is a non profit that is run professionally. This is the second time I have worked for a non-profit.
I get along with my coworkers and management. The hardest part of my job I would say was learning to stand all day. The most enjoyable part is helping people in understanding what we offer and the different packages available for purchase but the cause of rescue, rehab, and release is our goal.
A non-profit and fun place to work
Gift Shop (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLDecember 9, 2012
Pros: discounts & free entrance to other florida attractions; guest experiences
Cons: low salary, no benefits, hires mostly p/t temporary
A fun place to work, decent hours, get to see animals all day long. Great hours, but no advancement opportunities or benefits. I have learned a lot about managing during my time here at CMA. I have met a lot of people and understand politics a little more. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job is seeing the guests that come in and get so overcome with emotion about what happens at the aquarium. Winter is truly an inspiration to a lot of people, and it is a great reminder of why we do what we do
Fun & Fast paced company that grew overnight
Director of Retail Sales (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLAugust 17, 2012
This is a non-profit company that I worked for for just under five years. I was able to increase sales, interview, hire and train staff .
I had the freedom from upper management to use my skills and develop new products and attended buying shows finding new vendors.

Once the mission began to change I needed to find something else.
Good Non-profit Job
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLAugust 16, 2012
Pros: good co-workers, nice staff
Cons: have to walk 25 minutes to work from parking area, not enough space in breakroom, no benefits.
I love the people I work with and being around the animals. My management has been pretty good so far. There is a lot of confusion and no direction at times. Hardest part of my job is that you don't know where you stand. My most enjoyable is watching the customers faces when they see the animals or talk to me about them.
Productive and busy workplace, meet and greet people with ability to handle money exchange
Food & Beverage Associate (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLJuly 31, 2012
Pros: free drinks and food
Cons: no healthcare; sometimes no breaks
A typical day a t work is going in, getting your product made to sell to the public. You have to be patient with the customers and be able to count change if computer system fails, which it does sometimes. Fast paced and you need to be versatile. You interact with co-workers while attending to your customers. Clean-up is a must, with help of co-workers. Hardest part of the job is re-stocking for the next day. Easiest part is when your out of a product and can only sell what you have.