CLEARWATER PAPER CORPORATION Employee Reviews in United States

Busy Work enviroment
Machine Operator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Elwood, ILMay 9, 2016
Myself and my coworkers always stay busy with many tasks at Clearwater paper Corporation. It has been a great company to be a part of.
Money isnt everything!!
Converting Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCDecember 10, 2015
Clearwater is an okay place to work if youre looking for a good bit of time off, good benefits, or decent pay. Sounds great right? NO! The job itself while it can be stressful is mostly easy, once you learn your machines. Here begins the problems. The turn over rate is very high, so the person training you may only have only been there a couple months, so youre only learning what this person knows. Its hard to get fired from Clearwater. Most do absolutely ridiclous things like bring weapons, or fail drug test, and another big thing is attendance. Youre allowed to miss 4 days, 5 youre fired, in a year. No sick/personal days. You do have days you can ask for in advance but if your sick or have an emergency it counts against you. In training youre told about your "qual cards" (a book that is marked in as you learn and how you get your raises.) Your told in training youre expected to get them completed by certain times and if you dont it shows them youre not learning as you should and they would ultimately let you go. They give you ample amount of time to learn. The first card takes 90 days, the second 6 months. I doesnt matter if you have been there 3 years, and your daily work shows that you dont know how to succesfully do your job and you dont have your qual started, they will not let you go. While this is great for those who arent learning, it brings the team down. You have to pick up there slack, and it causes issues with the team and the person. A lot of the upper managment came down when the Shelby plant opened, they are most all buddies and while they are approachable,  more... i wouldnt talk to any of them about another if youre having issues. They talk and drama is a big issue in Shelby, sadly its with uppermanagment causing this by talking about your co-workers, or what youve talked to them about, more than your other co-wokers. Just like high school, there is "pick of the litters" and they get special treatment while everyone else is treated like dirt. Most of the co-workers are great, and what keeps you going back. I could go on and on with negatives. All in all the headache and stress are not worth the benefits of working here. I always tell everyone if your in need of the money or benefits to apply, make them aware of the negative, and tell them to be sure they keep applying else where, because there not going to want to be stuck here long. If someone has a good job and beneifts i tell them to not even bother applying here.  less
Productive good place to work
Complex Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, IDNovember 24, 2015
Supportive management, good work ethics with all my co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Good pay
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Elwood, ILJune 17, 2015
The company pays good, and has decent benefits. It can be difficult to work rotating swing shift, but pays off with the multiple days off.
Pros
Good Benefits, good pay
Cons
Work schedule
Loved it
Health and safety specialist (Former Employee) –  Arkansas city arkansasMarch 16, 2015
Amazing people and culture. Boss was more than accommodating, everyone worked together seamlessly. I met with and knew upper management (corporate level), it was apparent the caring atmosphere started there.
Pros
people
Poor management, high stress.
Forklift driver (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK.January 24, 2015
Drivers are treated like dirt. Seniority means nothing and hard work means even less. The management are lazy and clueless as to what is going on in the wharehouse. If you can find work somewhere else, do yourself a favor and take it.
Pros
4 days off a weak.
Cons
management doesn't care about the drivers.
A great learning environment with great teachers.
Summer Hire (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, IDJanuary 21, 2015
I learned a lot about what being a Millwright was going to be like. It was a very fun and challenging job. I loved everyone of my supervisors and co-workers.
Pros
good pay, good supervisors, good co-workers
Cons
summer hires are not allowed to do everything a journeymen millwright does.
High volume, physical work
Distribution Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 30, 2014
12+ hours shifts, rotating days/nights. Mandatory overtime always.
Miss the people I worked with.
Pros
salary
Cons
extreme work conditons.
Terrible Company
worker (Former Employee) –  USAAugust 21, 2014
Do not work for this company, they work you like a dog and there is no structure at all. There is no advancement and they don't take care of their workers. Very unsafe place to work
Forklift operator
Forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma cityDecember 26, 2013
The pay is good but the effort that goes into getting a raise is almost not worth it. I learned that the harder you work, the more they want you to do for the same pay and because of this we've all come to realize that its easier to halfass and cut corners because we can get away with it and dont get asked to do nearly as much work. What im getting at is, the good responsible workers get forced to do more because they are reliable and the screwups aren't asked to take on any responsibility and do the minimum work needed.
The schedule works like this, you work 2 days from 7am to 7pm, you get off that night and the next day and return the following night and work 2 nights from 7pm to 7am and you're off for 4days days. Two drivers have been put of medical leave with heart problems and their doctors have both said its because if the crazy hours.
Would I recommend my best friend or a family member to come work here? Probably not until they get new management that cares about their employees.
Pros
good money, easy work.
Cons
no breaks, hateful and lazy management.
Good workplace
1S Papermachine Backtender/ Boiler Operator (Current Employee) –  Shelby, NCNovember 7, 2013
I moved to this job in North Carolina after the mill i worked for in Washington closed down. I came to this mill to have a great experience starting up a state of the art paper machine. I learned to run a Victory O-Type boiler and a Dissolved Air Flotation device for cleaning sludge from the water we use in the mill before being re-used in the operation of the mill. The most enjoyable part of my job is trouble shooting and caring for the paper machine from one end of the mill to the other.
Pros
competitive salary and great 401k
Great work environment
Accountant II (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GASeptember 5, 2012
Work with accounting team of 4-6 individuals, reporting to a single Mill Controller. Perform general ledger account reconciliations, analyze and research outstanding items and issues. Calculate inventory valuations for finished goods inventory. Act as business partner to mill personnel. Provide mill management with operating statements and financial reports for use in managing the business. Provide cost, revenue, and inventory information in a timely manner to Corporate Accounting. Participate in monthly financial review call with leadership team.

Comment – September 16, 2012

I'm curious as to the individual that completed this posting because it is clearly not an Accountant II based in Alpharetta, GA. First, there is not a team of 4-6 individuals reporting to a Mill Controller. Second, an Accountant II position never completed Finished Good Inventory valuations. Third, the accounting team does not provide revenue information to corporate accounting. Simply put, this post is a falsified post by someone at Clearwater Paper in an attempt to try to portray a positive work environment.

Dangerous Work Environment
Utilty (Current Employee) –  Arkansas City, ARJune 13, 2012
I enjoy my Co-workers and Compensation but not how I want to earn a living.
Pros
compensation
Cons
no breaks allowed
Productive and hard working
Occupation- Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Elwood, ILMay 17, 2012
I operated packaging machines performing preventive maintenance and doing quality checks and performing safety checks. I learned how to operate 4 machines at one time. The management was hard to work with. I had great coworkers very helpful. The most enjoyable part was that the job was a challange.
Pros
4 days off
Cons
12 hour rotating shifts