Cleary Building Corp. Employee Reviews in United States

good job just not for everybody
Foreman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, IAFebruary 3, 2016
Great job for someone out of school willing to learn and advance themselves in a possible career. not much for home life travel a lot. would be expected to work long hours and long weeks. In overall great job to have
Pros
experience and advancement
Cons
could be away from home for weeks at a time
Unethical
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottumwa / Fairfield IAFebruary 3, 2016
I worked for this company for 8 months and I resigned because of their ethics. I started in sales and within 2 months, replaced the branch manager who had just been fired. In my 8 months there, I had to fire 5 people, of which I had only met one of them. An out-of-town crew was erecting a building for me and I was told to fire the crew once their job had been completed. Another person had been injured on the job and they complained about having to pay him workman's comp. Just when his broken arm was healed and he was returning for work, they told me to terminate him because they didn't like having to pay him during his recovery time. I was disgusted with the leadership of this company, as they had such a shady unethical approach to everything. They berated other branch managers on teleconferences for things that were out of their control. They out-and-out lied to customers on repair work, or replacement materials for shoddy workmanship. They truly are the worst company that I have ever worked for.
Pros
It is an easy choice when you decide to resign
Cons
The bad taste left in your mouth
Upper management is impossible to appease.
branch manager (Former Employee) –  IowaJanuary 5, 2016
While working for Cleary I had held the position of sales as well as branch manager. While working with regional managers and the local employees was a delightful experience, working with upper management was difficult to say the least. On multiple occasions commissions and bonuses were held back due to issues out of my personal control. With that being said, you can make A LOT of money working for them if you do everything by their book. Upper management really needs to step back and see what is important in growing their business.
Pros
Able to make your own schedule if you are ahead of budget.
Cons
You will feel like you can be terminated at any given time no matter how well you do.
Cleary Building process and Culture
Branch Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Creston, OHOctober 1, 2015
This is an organization, where employees are encouraged to be creative and allowed to make decisions. The benefits are smaller than many organizations, because of it's small size.
Pros
Work Schedule, Autonomy, Support from management at local level
Cons
small company, benefits, growth potential
Deceitful and very unprofessional.
Construction foreman (Former Employee) –  Ilinois and MissouriJuly 17, 2016
They lure you in with promise of pay but come time your pay is short of many hours, they claim that they will compensate but never do and find a reason that they cannot afford to pay you lol scale. Suggest a voluntary withdrawal of employment and end up paying minimum wage minus what they believe you owe them for their time. Constructed 8 post frame barns in a week with great review from the customer, they happily will do work with us again but not Cleary.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Everything. Pay, management, hours, compensation.
run from this
Building Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMay 4, 2016
What I was told at hiring and the reality of the job are two completely opposite things. Minimal base pay and sales incentives that are only paid out "if" all the criteria are met. None of which are in your control and management will take it away at the drop of the hat. Some of the sales obstacles is their bad reputation and the high turnover rate. Worst experience I've ever had in business and couldn't wait to get away.
Pros
required to provide your own phone and computer
Cons
poor compensation, high turnover rate
Gilman IL Branch
Administrative Professional (Former Employee) –  Gilman, ILFebruary 11, 2016
I worked at this particular branch for over 13 years as the branch secretary (Administrative Assistant) and I very much enjoyed working for Cleary Building Corp. A typical work day, though repetitive in the morning, was also sometimes a bit unpredictable. I feel like I grew up there and became close with all my co-workers. Some of them are family in my heart. The Manager of the branch was understanding of personal issues that had arisen in my life and was very helpful whenever I needed it. The hardest part of this job was having to leave when my husband was offered a job that relocated our family. I wish this branch was able to relocate along with me.
horrible company
Building Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Breese, ILFebruary 15, 2016
Everyone is a # at this company and your job is always replaceable. I never even spoke to or met the owners of this company and I worked there 4 years. All the upper management treated you like dirt.
Decent entry-level job, not a career.
Order Processor (Current Employee) –  verona, wiJune 27, 2015
This is a good place for someone to start out after college for a year or two but it can be mentally draining after that. Great co-workers and decent management, but not much room for advancement or raises.
Productive and fun to work at
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIDecember 14, 2015
Variety of duties and responsibilities. Able to use multiple skills and tools. Management was open to suggestions and sought out opinions from workers.
Pros
Variety of duties
Cons
Weather was unpredictible
Long and productive days with easy going co-workers to work with.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MtAugust 11, 2015
A typical day at work was long and productive. I learned how to set columns, put up trusses, and how to do steel siding and roofs. I also learned how to put up trim and doors for the buildings. The people I worked with were easy to learn with and taught me a lot. The hardest part of the job would be setting the columns and leveling them. The most enjoyable and easiest part of the job was putting on the roof.
Pros
Got in a lot of work hours, Food reimbursement, travel pay.
Cons
Traveling, benefits, being gone for long periods of time.
A fast paced, productive job
Crewman (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDApril 11, 2015
Each day would go by a general plan laid out, one step after another, so, if one ever lost track of what was going on, all that needed to be done would be to look at the job site and find what could be done next. I learned the general process of laying out and constructing each building that was worked on. Management was very reliable and trustworthy, but on the site supervision was often times far from ideal (ex. fell off a roof because the safety device that was supposed to be check weekly by the manager had long since been ignored and failed to stop me from reaching the ground). Coworkers were often times easy to get along with and had little to no objection to working as a team rather than having individual projects. The hardest part of the day was enduring the weather conditions, and the most enjoyable part was doing my job, and being able to look back upon what was completed with pride knowing that I had helped someone get what they paid for.
Pros
Friendly crews and environments
Cons
weather conditions
Good place to gain work experience
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Verona, WIMarch 2, 2014
Fast paced, good place to learn accounting, some friendly people, upper management is a little out of touch with workers. There is little room for advancement and very hard to get a review or raise. The hours are a little flexible as long as work gets done and do not exceed available hours.
Pros
work out room and shower
Cons
very hard to take breaks. not much room to advance.
Comfortable work environment, solid company, overall great place to work
Sales Department (Current Employee) –  Verona, WIJune 17, 2013
Working at Cleary is a breath of fresh air. The company is very solid financially (dept free), which takes a lot of pressure off of the employees. It's easy to work hard at Cleary, because there are defined goals and support from top to bottom. Everyone works as a team here at Cleary, and it shows in the company's high quality of work. From project conception to project completion, the company is truly dedicated to putting out the very best product it can with every building built. Simply put, Cleary is a great place to work!
Pros
debt free, comfortable work environment, great support from executives/management
Long hours, hard work, good people
Basic hand (Former Employee) –  Escanaba MiAugust 24, 2015
Benefits were not very good. Compensation did not show for hours away from home. Friendly co workers. very repetitive work.
The company don't care about their help
Temporary Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kasson, MNSeptember 3, 2014
I entered data into the computer, like employees hours, misc. costs of product that the workers needed at the job site. Faxed, printed, and scanned documents. Made flyers for different meetings. Did inventory control. Answered the phones. Called customers on when they would be expecting their buildings. Set up hotel rooms for workers and salesmen. Did a lot emailing to corporate. Kept the office clean and neat.
Pros
met alot of nice people.
Cons
no advancement or pay raises.
no comment
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Decatur, TXNovember 5, 2015
always out of town to work never have time to take care of personal issues. I worked for this company about a year and saw my home only about 2 weeks
Advancement Opportunities, Fast Paced Work Environment-
Corp. (Current Employee) –  Verona, WIJune 17, 2013
Lot's of room for advancement if you work hard, are flexible and adaptable and are looking for more responsibility.

Fast paced culture-very team centered.
Pros
family owned, great co-workers, excellent product
Bad job for having a social life, pay is moderate
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Verona, WIJune 26, 2012
The typical day varied from fast paced to slow. Management never replaced poor workers so the rest of us got stuck pulling other people's weight all day long. Downtime in between pressing roof trusses made it possible to fall asleep. The most difficult part of the job was carrying the 2X12X20's, the most enjoyable part was having an employee furnished radio.
Pros
health, dental, vision discount, 401k
Cons
no incentives, bad coworkers, faulty equipment
Good work; just not enough to keep you around home.
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSJune 24, 2015
A typical day started before sun up and ended after sun down. The labor was tough when the ground was muddy. Building a pole barn takes a steady hand and strong nerves due to the fact that you are constantly up in the air. Your co-workers can be rough to take if you don't have a good sense of humor and a good work habit. The hardest part of the job was sitting on a truss 20-30 feet in the air and nothing but the skid loader was holding you up. The most enjoyable part was being outdoors.
Pros
learned how to drive a "Bob Cat"
Cons
Very cold in the winter and a lot of out of state travel

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cleary Building Corp.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9