Cleveland Metropolitan School District

Cleveland Metropolitan School District Employee Reviews

I would love to work with Cleveland Schools.
Intervention Specialist Pre-K-12 (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 14, 2017
Working with children is my passion. I watch children daily suffer and it is not their fault. I would like to bring sunshine to children who need it and to keep the light shining in the lives of children who are doing well.
Fun enviornment and productive workplace
Para Professional (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 10, 2017
I like being employed with CMSD they are very multi- cultural. Some of the teachers I've assisted were very helpful.
The hardest part of the job is the children who misbehave.
I love working with the children.
Pros
Working with Children
Cons
Having to deal with behavior Children.
I am pleased with cmsd, if hired again i would accept the job
Lunch Attendant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 21, 2017
I can say working when i was at the school district was fun at times, and also for filling making sure kids got their daily nourishment. My employers we'er very nice to me. I had food service knowledge about how to serve the food even cook it. Now they want u too, be able to, learn other skills, and duties that may not be your job description, because if they need u u will understand whats going on and what to do.
Pros
I learned a lot of other skills
Cons
I get to meet new people
Good place to work if you like working with kids.
Junior Secretary (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 19, 2017
It was a great place to work. I would not be leaving if my husband job had not moved to North Carolina. I have been with the Cleveland Metropolitan School District from February 2, 2002 until the present.
I have learned a lot of things from working there that I would not have learned from a book, life experience.
Pros
Good health insurance
Cons
extra busy
No written management guidlines
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 10, 2017
Work place culture consist of low employee morale and very few opportunities for advancement . No employee handbook for non-union staff.

There is many issues that are never discussed or resolved.
Fun place to work at.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 25, 2017
Good environment to work at, clean workplace to work asking your coworker how your day is going.. Being a team player, learner your coworker names, helping out.
Pros
offer lunch or snack to someone who do not have anything to eat.
Cons
Helping coworker solve a problem that is to hard for them to understand.
it was cool
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 23, 2017
pretty easy job I didn't do much really I liked my supervisor very much she was really nice I didn't like that people were very nosey and talked about people a lot in the office.
Pros
long breaks pretty easy work
Cons
alot of gossip in the office
Frustrating
Talent Management Partner (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 21, 2017
Teachers and Principals are valued. Work is frustrating, compensation might be racist and there is no consistency. no flexibility, and must pay for parking
Fun Educational and Very Rewarding Place to Work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 14, 2017
A typical day at work is quick paced friendly and rewarding.
I learn a lot from my co-workers daily and I love that we always work as a team-- It is very rewarding. I love helping my co-workers, and I love that they also enjoy helping me. I love teaching, and I love helping my students learn. I love my school district and I love my principals. I love the parents too, because they come to the schools to help out alot. It is great that we have parents, that love helping out in the schools. We all value our children's education, and our children's educational experiences. I enjoy every part of my job. I have been very BLESSED to work with these[ very amazing giving intelligent friendly hardworking educational] teachers, substitute teachers, principals, assistants principals, deans of culture, secretaries, paraprofessionals, students, cleaning staff, broad of education and many many other great co-workers. Cleveland Metropolitan School District is a very fun educational rewarding excellent place to work.
Great benefits and room for growth and advancement.
Intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 14, 2017
Great benefits, room for advancement and growth. The school district is constantly trying to improve and advance. The students will be challenged with a rigorous curriculum that considers the individual learning styles, program references and academic capabilities of each student, while utilizing the highest quality professional educators, administrators and support staff available
Pros
Good Health care benefits and retirement
harsh environment
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 7, 2017
not enjoyable, political problems, stress, student behavior out of control and staff does not cooperate with each other. very hostile working environment
I love my job and the people I work with.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 7, 2017
I love my job, it is an amazing experience to work with and learn many different cultures and beliefs. it is truly a priceless lesson in this job field.
Pros
Always learning
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Challenging...rewarding...frustrating...draining.
School Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 29, 2017
The teachers in the Cleveland Schools are as good as anywhere in the state. The debilitating levels of violence, poverty and apathy in the homes of our students severely impact their motivation and performance. We struggle on to try and make a difference in the lives of those still reachable and teachable.
Pros
Working for CMSD requires your best efforts every day and develops your skills to the max.
Cons
The climate of racial tension and political correctness, teachers and administrators' fear of litigation
good facilities if you get a newer building
Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 29, 2017
good place if you truly like teaching an Urban environment. Most kids have issues and try to prepare if you ave no experience in that area. Administration is not good in every building so be careful.
Pros
good medical benefits, salary
Cons
too many tests, bad behavior, no administrative support
Good pay, but the board will short change you whenever they can
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 27, 2017
I liked working there. As jobs go it's pretty good. After the kids and the staff leave you clean up their mess. If you can tolerate bodily excrements and discarded food then this is for you. The issue is that over the summer if you didn't save up or defer payments then you are broke until the next school year. Kids will vandalize your car if there is no garage and the worst punishement they get is a suspension (if they even get caught on the horrible security tapes) while you have to pay for the damages. The shift is usually second unless there is a specific holiday and then they will send an email the day before letting you know to come at 730 am the next day even though you just got off at midnight the previous night. Older buildings never seem to have the needed equipment and if they do its very old and always needs repair. Teachers and principles constantly complain about the most trivial things like a spill you missed or a rug being vacuumed but they hardly ever thank you for everything you did right. They "make mistakes" with your check sometimes so always have a calculator after you are paid and If there is a mistake be ready to make 10 calls and fight for your money but fortunately it's a rare occurancr I think. If you are a self starter who doesn't mind a little sweat, dirt and sore feet and muscles, then this is the job for you.
Pros
Workat your own pace
Cons
Cleaning feces, vandalized property
Very nice place to work
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 24, 2017
I was able to get exposed to the learning environment and the dynamics of teaching students in an urban school district. I enjoyed working there at the various school sites.
Not an easy place to witness student success...
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 24, 2017
Working at CMSD was extremely stressful and frustrating. The majority of the students do not value education and even went so far as to chastise other students if they were trying to pay attention and do their classwork. Working there was more like being a police officer than a teacher.
Great place to work with great pay and benefits
School Nurse RN (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 23, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job for me is being able to help the students and seeing joy on their faces. Often the school nurse is their lifeline.

See above
Pros
Benefits, networking
Teaching in Cleveland
Middle School Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 11, 2017
The staff is great to work with at my building. Working with students from low socioceconomic status is rewarding as they appreciate every little thing you do for them.
Not worth the pay
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 7, 2017
Power hungry administrators who unilaterally decide to give bad evaluations and support from administrators varies depending on school. Large district where you are a faceless cog in the system. Salary and benefits draw you in but culture creates a versus mentality between the teachers and administrators. Administration in main office is rarely supportive and teachers have a belief of trying to keep to themselves in their room instead of creating a team.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
no job security or support from management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cleveland Metropolitan School District. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval