Cleveland State University Employee Reviews

Excellent departmental support
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 2, 2017
Coming from a high school setting I was worried that there would be lack of support for employees who failed students or enforced policies. I was pleasantly surprised when the head of my department fully agreed with my decisions and supported me fully. CSU provides opportunities for professional development, even for part- timers. Great school with wonderful and supportive co-workers.
Pros
departmental support. Freedom in some curricula
Cons
must pay to park
IS&T is the best department to work for
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 3, 2017
have to help students with their technical issues with laptops and computers, and to serve the Michael Schwartz Library patrons as a front desk helper

I've learned, how to communicate and deal with the people who exhibits diverse levels of knowledge

As I've two roles to do, I learned how to manage and bring the hectic situations under the control

The most enjoyable part of the job is to help the people, I love helping others
Great to Work For, But Less Than Stellar Pay and Benefits
Structured Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 12, 2017
Cleveland State University is a great place to work and go to school, but the pay and benefits are not competitive, with the majority of teaching staff working as grossly underpaid adjunct faculty with no real benefits to speak of. if CSU is to become competitive in the years ahead, it must begin hiring on its adjunct faculty as full time and pay them what they're worth.
An Excellent Graduate Program and Associateship
Graduate Associate/Undergraduate Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 23, 2016
The graduate program at CSU provided valuable experience in the field with extensive work in student tutoring. At the same time, the graduate program offered a technologically rich, rigorous curriculum for the student with wide applicability in the job markets. I would strongly recommend the graduate program in mathematics to anyone for terminal degrees and continuing studies
Plenty of work but sill fun
Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 4, 2016
The work was very flexible around classes. They gave the aporrtontiy to integrate tutors with students on Starfish using TutorTrack. As management they were very understandable to our needs and that gave comfortably to always finish my work even before the time. One of the hardest part of the job is looking at these small numbers on the screen for hours and one the most enjoyable part is knowing my co-workers.
Easy place to learn what having a job is like for first time employees.
Document Imaging Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 4, 2016
Being a student employee at CSU enables you to have a taste of what having a job is like, while still focusing on your studies. This type of position is nice in the aspect that the hours are set by you as long as they do not interfere with your classes. And by working up to 20 hours along side having classes to manage really emphasizes effective time management skills. The most enjoyable part of the job has to be your co-workers. Without them this job can get rather monotonous and slow. But with a good relationship with your co-workers makes the job one of the best for a college student.
Pros
Great co-workers, reasonable schedule, diverse training, meeting many great people.
Cons
Micromanaging managers, redundancy in tasks, student priorities do not match that of some managers.
Family environment
Staff (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 14, 2016
The best thing, of course, is the people. The opportunity to continue your education and get another degree, or educate your kids on the cheap at the university are the best reasons for working here. If you don't care about making a lot of money or advancing much, and retiring with an OPERS benefit, then this could be the right place for you.

Sometimes the people who are hired into positions are clearly not the most qualified, and this is tied to being interviewed by a committee of well-meaning, but under informed people.

Things move pretty slowly at CSU except when the president or someone in his favor wants something to happen - and then watch out. Programs are cancelled, offices moved, all on a whim, despite evidence suggesting it is a bad idea.

The campus is small and manageable, located in downtown, which is advantageous if you like doing things in the area.
Pros
educational benefits
Cons
leadership
Productive and convenient to school schedule
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 26, 2016
I like working for Cleveland State Health Services Department. This job is a very productive place to start out for further hospital experience. It gives you a slight introduction to regular medical clinics, and how the system runs. It includes constant interaction with patients, doctors, nurses, and other professional workers. This job is very informative, to giving you information you may not have known. You learn what to do in emergency situations, you constantly have help. Although the pay is limited, and your hours are not the same as a regular doctor's office job will be, considering its on a college campus.
Pros
Birthday Celebrations in the office
Cons
Limited Pay
Supportive, Collaborative, and Fun
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 12, 2017
Working at Cleveland State University allows me to help teacher candidates become successful teachers. The chair of the department is always available to help with student concerns and works to advance employees personally and professionally.
Great teacher and great University
Tutor and Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 18, 2016
Great teachers
Amazying environment
Great places to eat that are around main campus
Hardest part was parking
Best part is of Cleveland State is that it has great teachers, easy commute and great restaurants around.
Pros
Great school
Cons
Expensive tuition
educational environment with lot of stress buster Events
Engineering Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 18, 2016
I work as a Teaching Assistant i.e helping Professor to grade homework and quizzes, simultaneously I am working as an Engineering Tutor where students take my appointment for learning Electronics courses. Management of the University is Superior.
Good work-life balance.
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 31, 2017
Loved working for CSU with the exception of some management. Can be hard to climb the ladder. Compensation could be better, but pension and benefits are excellent. Parking is pricy!
Pros
Great vacation time, free tuition.
Cons
Parking is very pricy, hard to advance. Political.
A great part-time job for college student
Multimedia Services Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 8, 2017
Working in the library was a fantastic experience in generally all aspects. While working in the multimedia services department, I worked at a customer service desk that exposed me to a variety of people and a large number of tasks. It was a calm atmosphere with great support from management. I further advanced my knowledge with computers and technology and also further developed my interpersonal skills. The hardest part of the job was handling multiple tasks at once, although it was rare that this had a major impact on my ability to perform the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and great management and helping library patrons with anything and everything.

I would recommend this part-time position for any Cleveland State University who are searching for a flexible on-campus job.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, awesome management
Cons
Minimum wage, no opportunity for advancement in this position
A very good place to work
Culinary Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 6, 2017
At Cleveland State I was a grill cook at first and the I was a culinary supervisor I was the one to make sure the food was ready for all three Station and made sure the food stay food and made sure that we would never run out of food
Productive and great place to work.
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 7, 2016
I like working at Cleveland state. The job is very fulfilling and very relaxed for the most part. My co-workers are very nice and easy going. Management is very understanding about your needs and they are willing to arrange around your schedule.The hardest part of the job would have to be the rush weeks (finals).
Pros
Breaks, Open offices
Great place to work, with great kids & wonderful programs!
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 31, 2016
Cleveland State is a wonderful institution that really utilizes the energy of the city surrounding it. An unlimited amount of resources to draw on in the area and the University has a ton of talented people working there.
Productive job with low office-morale
Records Management Officer 2011- Present (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 14, 2016
Work stays steady.
Management is poorly run. Does not lead by example, but expects the world of you.
Co-workers are great.
Job not very enjoyable.
Pros
Free Schooling
Cons
Union workers are very lazy.
Great learning place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 8, 2017
Learned Energy assessment techniques and several energy saving measures while working in the university. Worked under great environment in different labs and got to know different working principles .
Decent Job, Security position
Campus Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 13, 2016
A typical day for a campus safety officer includes meeting your supervisor for your assignment, then patrolling the campus until you are requested to escort someone to a specific place, usually students or faculty of CSU. You record your patrols on your worksheet, then return to the CSUPD building to clock out.
Pros
Student Work
Cons
A lot of Walking
DI Athletic Training Department
Intern Assistant Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 21, 2016
The internship available every year is a good way for new athletic trainers to get into the field. Taught me how to be self-reliant and resourceful with limited supervision.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cleveland State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3