Cleveland State University Employee Reviews

Busy, yet fun environment as a workplace
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 26, 2015
In the Human Performance Lab, I worked with wellness programs; completing health assessments and fitness testing. This involved blood analyses, sub maximal treadmill testing, pulmonary function testing, etc. From these fast-paced activities I learned great time management skills as well as how to manipulate my work to be able to easily multitask. I also created a monthly newsletter which allowed me to share my knowledge of exercise, health and nutrition with program members as well as utilize my creative skills for the newsletter design. As a teaching assistant, I worked with faculty on various research topics and undergraduate courses. As a solo instructor, I taught two sections of a wellness course for which I created and implemented a semester's worth of material.
Engaged professors
Technical Writing and Professional Communcation (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 5, 2015
My colleagues are very concerned with the academic success of all students. They go out of there way to ensure all lessons are well-planned and easily transferred. Currently I have over 300 students in seven sessions which can be burdensome.
Pros
I am able to select my own textbooks and develop my lesson plans.
Cons
Overwhelmed with paper workfrom student assignments.
Secretary and mail responsibilities. grading and administering exams and answering phones
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  cleveland, ohioOctober 22, 2015
This job started out great. They worked with my school hours and it was on campus. Hours were a lot but when business was slow I finished homework at my cubicle. Everyone was nice but as time progressed things got a little bad for employees. The managers became very rude and handed the employees majority of the responsibilities they had. We had fun, after meeting deadlines we would have parties, especially on special occasions. It was a small company but very important. The team was trust worry, especially when administering exams for students of all types.
Pros
on -campus, hours, worked with colleagues learned alot
Cons
attitudes, responsbilites, iscommunication
good for students
Accounting Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 5, 2015
It would be a good place to work if you are a student. They will pay most of your tuition. Work is not that stressful depending upon your immediate supervisor and the kind of graduate assistantship you got.
Work experience
Student Worker/File Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 17, 2015
Student Worker: Answer phones, do reminder calls, schedule appointments for several advisors, run errands, and organize the calendar.
Pros
Worked around my school schedule
Cons
n/a
Accounting Tutor (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 15, 2015
As you might think, the job isn't that stressful. they understand you are a student so they keep their expectations at a reasonable level.
Pros
Less stressful than other private company jobs
Cons
pay isn't that great
Productive and fun environment.
New Student Developer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland OhioSeptember 11, 2015
I enjoyed this position. Being in a position to help navigate new students through the process of becoming as successful as possible was a real pleasure. The culture of the department that I worked in was rich and full of pride.
Pros
The environment and the culture was great.
Fun Job.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 31, 2015
Basically after every meal for students on campus, I would clean the dinning area, stock the forks, knives, spoons and paper tiles then I would help prepare the next scheduled meal.
Pros
Perfect schedule.
Cons
Students were very loud and disruptive.
Cleveland State University is an excellent employer
Account Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 20, 2015
I was treated with respect and compensated fairly for my work.

I thoroughly enjoyed my 14 years there.

The University is very diverse.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
long drive
Great Environment
Graduate Assistant in the Nursing Program (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 11, 2015
The professors that I worked under were accommodating and great to work for. It was a pleasure and I would recommend them to anybody.
This was a Summer position which I enjoyed a lot.
Supervisor - Dr. Dinah Volk (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 3, 2015
In this position I worked as a liaison between Cleveland State University's education students doing their practicum and elementary school students taking a Reading/Math Summer Program. I also worked as a in between communicator of the Professors at Cleveland State and the Supervisors at El Barrio (the Institution providing the space).

The most enjoyable part in this position was helping the Cleveland State University students who were doing this as a practicum. I guided and encouraged them in their plans and what was the best course to take in helping the elementary school students.
Pros
Was rewarded with the books and materials left from the program to later use in my own classroom.
Cons
One of the Supervisor's was difficult to communicate with, at the end everything worked out with the help of the Director.
Great Engineering Program
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 30, 2015
Chemical engineering program uses up to date software and empowers the student to be a critical thinker. Student can also study many different aspects of chemical engineering.On site tutoring is available and knowledgeable.
Learning Environment where I can meet new people
Learning Communities Peer Mentor Coach (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 15, 2015
As a peer mentor I was able to be a leader.

I was in charge of contacting freshman and inviting them to the University, while suppying them with needed information and resources to help them succeed educationally.

The hardest part was remembering all of the resources that were available to students, since there were vast amount.

The most enjoyable part was being able to help students, like myself, and being able to learn at the same time.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
only got 15hrs/ week
horrible enviroment
Emergency Services Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 30, 2015
long hours, low pay, no chance for advancement. I would not suggest anyone who is looking for a full time job to work here. They do not value their employees or the sacrifices they make to work a 24/7 job.
Pros
Cons
short breaks, 16 hour shifts, poor training
good place
Global Ambassador (Current Employee) –  clevelandJune 18, 2015
worked as CSU global Ambassador. Main work is to talk to students who came from India and help them if required. Also to make events for commuter students on campus proving free food and entertainment to make them feel stress free.
Improved Communication skills
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 7, 2015
On a daily basis maintained proactive communication with prospective and current students with application processing and other queries concerning the study programs and assisted budget manager in preparing contracts.

Communicating with the Dean to other staff and students helped me brush my communication skills in a professional environment

Very likeable and fun co-workers.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 2, 2015
Assisted students in enrolling for classes.
Organized and filed student documentation.
Assisted administrative assistants and professors with projects.
Managed office supply stock.
Maintained records of graduates and career placement.
Worked independently in a fast paced environment.
Experience working with PeopleSoft and OnBase Software.
Pros
Networking
Cons
Not enough hours
Wonderful place to attend school and work
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 29, 2015
Every day I interacted with students. I worked with many students from different backgrounds. Management is great. I worked with 2 administrative assistants and several professors. It was really a great job.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Not many hours as I would like
Fun place to work
Student Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 22, 2015
As a student this job fit perfectly. I was able to be flexible in my work as well as my classes. The staff were extremely supportive of each other and progression.
Pros
The people
Cons
down-time
Great working place
Senior eLearning Consultant - Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 20, 2015
Working for the Center for eLearning during my studies was a great experience. The staff members were very supportive. Would recommend it to all the students.

4.3