Cliffs Natural Resources

Cliffs Natural Resources Employee Reviews

It's a great company work for
Rock Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Man, WVFebruary 6, 2017
It's a really good company ... Cared a lot about the men that work for them ... A lot room to have grown with the company ... Always cared about our safety n gave us bonuses for good safe practice ....
Pros
Great pay to help support my family
Cons
It's was great place til mining industry shut down
Coal Mining is not a place to play around, accidents can happen when least expected
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Man, WVJanuary 16, 2017
Cliffs Natural Resources, was a good place to work. They provided safety awards every quarter, and they also had cookout at the work site for the men if the coal production was above normal, catered Christmas dinner for all men.
Pros
Free Lunch, safety awards, bonus at the end of the year.
Cons
Under ground mining is just about the thing of the past.
Productive and very people Oriented
Project Electrical engineering (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 26, 2016
A Typical work week was planned two weeks in advance of which mine you would be helping or working with. There was away a followup meeting on what was done and was left and was scheduled in the next week.
Project work was done on a team base level and was coordinated with all aspects of the project. We also covered the safety portions and how they would be approached in the project planning.
Learned teamwork is very productive and makes a project go well.
I enjoyed all of my Co-workers and looked forward in working with them.
Hardest part was some callouts to help a mine to help it start running again and not having the resources to accomplish it, but most of the time successful with in the early time frames.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working together of a project and have a successful startup with not many problems.
Pros
Sometime work in travel allowed us to have a Friday off if a lot a travel was involved.
Cons
Sometime during a project and time line having to leave to assist another mine if problems occurred.
eccellent benifits and wages
Plant Repairman / Maintenance Departmental Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ishpeming, MIAugust 7, 2016
Place is hot and dirty all year long, a lot of the management staff is young or lack experience. The union and the company have a pretty good relationship. We currently have workers on layoff due to the shut down of the Empire mine.
Pros
wages and benifets
Cons
hot and dirty
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ishpeming, MIJuly 28, 2016
Mine is closing a mine at this time not doing any hiring. Laying off employees.
I learned a lot about the production and trades while working at Cliffs.
Manage for the most part is easy to get along with open door policy if you have problems or need advise on situations ask the questions.
The hardest part of the job is the rotating of shifts but that is normal with any job
The job is full filling and you get a sense of accomplishment.
Pros
Good health care, and benefits for union employees
Cons
Short breaks
Great when times are good.
Metallurgical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ishpeming, MIJuly 12, 2016
When the mining industry is booming, there are large Christmas parties, food from all the vendors allowed in, plenty of compensation, and management is easy going. When times are bad, all of this goes away and your work life balance never existed in any of this. Loyalty is by blood only, not by performance.
Pros
High Salary
Cons
Always at work, no loyalty based on performance, no acknowledgments from management (just a number)
NO fun allowed
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 24, 2016
very dry... not very friendly unless you are a "favorite". Many Managers are not qualified to manage PEOPLE and lazy. Costly decisions from the top down.
Profitable dispite themselves
MAINTENANCE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Ishpeming, MIJune 7, 2016
Poor decision making, It matters who you are related to more than what you do to assure success of your reports. The very best job I was ever happy not to have. Talk a great talk, do not begin to walk the walk. After over 100 years the current management is succeeding in ruining the company.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything nelse
A clean Northern Sky with wolfs howling out the back door
Industrial Electrician / Instrumentation Tech (Current Employee) –  Palmer, MIJune 2, 2016
Working with Electricians that are smarter than me.

Every day is different, troubling shooting electrical problems.

but most important is doing it all safe.
Pros
Food on the table for the family
Cons
can't take my dog to work
Good place to work good benefits
GI, Miner operator (Current Employee) –  Pinnacle wvApril 16, 2016
It was a good place to work with good benefits. Good management, friendly men/women to work with. Good work environment.
Productive and fun
Coal Miner (Former Employee) –  Hueytown, ALMarch 7, 2016
I worked 11 pm to 8 am. My shift started out ether cold and wet or hot and humid and always very loud. 99% of the time i worked alone. When i got to my work site I had to inspect the belts, structure, drive motors and all other equipment used to do my job. Occasionally I had to call my shift foreman, maintenance or an electrician to fix an issue i could not resolve myself. Had constant communication using a two way radio. The best part of my job was my coworkers.
i dont care how hard job is i will give you 100%
Section boss (Former Employee) –  Pineville, WVFebruary 8, 2016
I just like working underground it is a brother hood that can not explain when I was in Afghanistan we had to stick to gather or we would not made it there I work sins I was 15 years old hung metal building up worked at Wal-Mart when I was a signor in high school I bin a coalminer last 10 years and last 7 years I bean a boss in mines I started out moving belt then went to section boss and a shift foreman I have learn over years if you treat people how you wont treated your work place is better and people will work harder for you the best saying is lead by example and I have always do that
Pros
there is no task to big
Cons
i had 3 knee surgery but my knee are 110% now
This Company Built my Career
Health and Safety Associate (Current Employee) –  Forbes, MNJanuary 26, 2016
This company is a great to work for. They supported my career and encouraged me to pursue many areas to better myself and my work.
Cliffs Natural Reasources is a great place to work.
long wall electrician/maintenance (Former Employee) –  Oak Grove, ALJanuary 20, 2016
Start shift with what I was to do and where to go and with who. I learned more working at the mines than I have ever learned at all the jobs combined Most of co workers with experience were very knowledgeable and great to work with. Hardest part of my job while I was there was carrying a cutter shaft to the shear 1000 feet down the face of the long wall when the top was very low the shaft was heavy.
Pros
Great pay and bennifits good work enviourement.
Cons
I worked 6 days a week only one day a week off foe 4 years 8 months.
good
Operations Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pineville, WVJanuary 16, 2016
During this time as an intern it gave me insight to the mining industry. They treated me well and allowed me to work during college
Great Company
Roof Bolter (Former Employee) –  Pinnacle, WVJanuary 12, 2016
Safe work place that showed support for their workers so they would have a productive shift. Everyone worked well together. I would still be working there today if Cliffs had not sold out.
Cliffs was a good company to work for before the iron ore mining cycled and they fell on hard times. Hopefully the next up swing is soon.
Safety Representative (Former Employee) –  Hibbing, MNDecember 21, 2015
I was able to learn many skills in the mining but he company is tied to the mining cycle and will not likely rebound unless the mining cycle swings in their favor.
enjoyed job.
inside labor (Former Employee) –  Hueytown, ALDecember 1, 2015
enjoyed working there. benefits were great. it was hard work but I that is what I liked about it. its a shame what has happened to the coal industry.
Pros
great insurance
good place to work
Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee) –  Oak Grove, ALNovember 3, 2015
good people
closed,
good people to work for until they closed down. Saftey record was good.
pay was excellent.
Enjoyed working there.
Safe environment
Good Safety precautions
Great first job
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Oak Grove, ALNovember 3, 2015
Gave me alot of experience to carry over to other jobs ok pay and benefits its a small company but does good work fun place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cliffs Natural Resources. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5