Cliffs Natural Resources

Cliffs Natural Resources Employee Reviews

This Company Built my Career
Health and Safety Associate (Current Employee) –  Forbes, MNJanuary 26, 2016
This company is a great to work for. They supported my career and encouraged me to pursue many areas to better myself and my work.
Cliffs Natural Reasources is a great place to work.
long wall electrician/maintenance (Former Employee) –  Oak Grove, ALJanuary 20, 2016
Start shift with what I was to do and where to go and with who. I learned more working at the mines than I have ever learned at all the jobs combined Most of co workers with experience were very knowledgeable and great to work with. Hardest part of my job while I was there was carrying a cutter shaft to the shear 1000 feet down the face of the long wall when the top was very low the shaft was heavy.
Pros
Great pay and bennifits good work enviourement.
Cons
I worked 6 days a week only one day a week off foe 4 years 8 months.
good
Operations Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pineville, WVJanuary 16, 2016
During this time as an intern it gave me insight to the mining industry. They treated me well and allowed me to work during college
Great Company
Roof Bolter (Former Employee) –  Pinnacle, WVJanuary 12, 2016
Safe work place that showed support for their workers so they would have a productive shift. Everyone worked well together. I would still be working there today if Cliffs had not sold out.
Cliffs was a good company to work for before the iron ore mining cycled and they fell on hard times. Hopefully the next up swing is soon.
Safety Representative (Former Employee) –  Hibbing, MNDecember 21, 2015
I was able to learn many skills in the mining but he company is tied to the mining cycle and will not likely rebound unless the mining cycle swings in their favor.
enjoyed job.
inside labor (Former Employee) –  Hueytown, ALDecember 1, 2015
enjoyed working there. benefits were great. it was hard work but I that is what I liked about it. its a shame what has happened to the coal industry.
Pros
great insurance
good place to work
Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee) –  Oak Grove, ALNovember 3, 2015
good people
closed,
good people to work for until they closed down. Saftey record was good.
pay was excellent.
Enjoyed working there.
Safe environment
Good Safety precautions
Great first job
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Oak Grove, ALNovember 3, 2015
Gave me alot of experience to carry over to other jobs ok pay and benefits its a small company but does good work fun place to work
Productive and Safe Work Place
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Logan, WVSeptember 23, 2015
Working for cliffs was a pleasure. I enjoyed every day. Work environment was always safe and the entire staff practiced safety.
productive work force
Pumper Fireboss (Current Employee) –  Oak Grove, ALJuly 6, 2015
As a fire boss pumper I travel throughout the mines searching, evaluating, and correcting hazardous conditions. Making safe work areas for employees throughout the mine. However, due to poor coal marketing I am forced to start searching for another job.
Enjoyable work environment with many perks
Senior Accountant - Operations (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OhioJune 26, 2015
A struggling iron ore mining company with a great heart. The people are what make this company a great place to work. Teamwork is truly practiced on a daily basis. There are many challenges currently facing the mining industry with falling iron ore and coal prices so the company is forced to do more with fewer people. This is a great opportunity for those individuals who enjoy getting in the details, learning new things and switching roles as the need arises.
Challenging a rewarding place to work
Supervisor in Pit Operations (Former Employee) –  Empire MineJune 20, 2015
Working at Cliffs was a challenging and rewarding job. Meeting and exceeding daily production targets was rewarding. When I fell short it was frustrating but as long as the day was safe all was well. Hardest part of the job was trying to change certain things, with a big company like Cliffs, change is slow. Do miss the people I worked with but not the schedule.
Good company just needs better management
Maintenance Planner (Current Employee) –  Adger, ALMay 28, 2015
As said above.

I have learned a lot from working here and love the job, under different management it could be a really great place to work.
every day at work was about the say.
general inside laborer (Former Employee) –  Pineville, WVMay 19, 2015
a typical day at was was fun but it was work. everyday felt the same you might be doing a different job but it felt the same. i learned a lot in my 3 years there i can run ever piece of face equipment except the miner. management was not great it just seem like they couldnt get anything done . they send us to fix something and tell us how to fix it . the we would have to go back the next day and do it again but fix it our way then it was fixed right.ther wasnt really anything too hard you just about had a piece of equipment to do anything.
they best part of the job was working with people you would consider friends.
Pros
100 % medical
Cons
having to shovel a lot a lot .
Great people!
Training Manager, IT Systems (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 27, 2015
The IT group was full of star performers. Poor management decisions lead the company in the wrong direction which has almost brought the company down. Sad to see such a great place lose so many great people.
Fast pace, busy environment with many learning opportunities.
Administrative Assistant - HR/Legal (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 24, 2015
As a self-motivated employee I started my day by listening to all voice mails and reading all emails, prioritizing each issue. I would then start with the most critical task and work my way down. Inevitably I would be interrupted by management with a task that would take precedence. It may be a power point presentation, a word document or an excel spreadsheet. It could be any task. If new cases came in I would get that organized with a new file, due dates, and a summary. I would make travel arrangements, process expense reports, process invoices with a system called OnBase. Using a follow up system that I created I would refer to that for due dates. Before I would leave in the evening I would check with my managers for any last minute needs before I left for the day. If they did, I would stay until the task was complete.
Pros
Atmosphere existed to learn and be independent
Cons
A high management turnover up to and including the Board of Directors
Historical Review
Sourcing Specialist, in Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 10, 2014
Historically, this has been a great place to work. Ideal location, and good experience in the sourcing field. I enjoyed working with various suppliers on sourcing projects, and negotiating savings to present to Stakeholders. I have no comment for the current environment, however.
Pros
location
Cons
drastic downsizing of the company has left many middle management employees jobless.
Excellent organization.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 15, 2014
Excellent organization, good atmosphere and co-workers.
Company is in bad state.
AP Issue Resolution Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 13, 2014
Company is in bad state and is going to restructuring and lay offs.
Great Company, tough industry
Senior Financial Analyst - Investor Relations (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 28, 2014
Great place to work, easy to advance. Management is great. The industry is in a bit of a downturn currently so there has been a lot of reductions which is unfortunate. However it is a proud company that has been through these cycles before.
Pros
good comp/benefits
Cons
uncertain future