Cliffs Natural Resources

Cliffs Natural Resources Employee Reviews

every day at work was about the say.
general inside laborer (Former Employee), Pineville, WVMay 19, 2015
Pros: 100 % medical
Cons: having to shovel a lot a lot .
a typical day at was was fun but it was work. everyday felt the same you might be doing a different job but it felt the same. i learned a lot in my 3 years there i can run ever piece of face equipment except the miner. management was not great it just seem like they couldnt get anything done . they send us to fix something and tell us how to fix it . the we would have to go back the next day and do it again but fix it our way then it was fixed right.ther wasnt really anything too hard you just about had a piece of equipment to do anything.
they best part of the job was working with people you would consider friends.
Great people!
Training Manager, IT Systems (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHMarch 27, 2015
The IT group was full of star performers. Poor management decisions lead the company in the wrong direction which has almost brought the company down. Sad to see such a great place lose so many great people.
Fast pace, busy environment with many learning opportunities.
Administrative Assistant - HR/Legal (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Atmosphere existed to learn and be independent
Cons: A high management turnover up to and including the Board of Directors
As a self-motivated employee I started my day by listening to all voice mails and reading all emails, prioritizing each issue. I would then start with the most critical task and work my way down. Inevitably I would be interrupted by management with a task that would take precedence. It may be a power point presentation, a word document or an excel spreadsheet. It could be any task. If new cases came in I would get that organized with a new file, due dates, and a summary. I would make travel arrangements, process expense reports, process invoices with a system called OnBase. Using a follow up system that I created I would refer to that for due dates. Before I would leave in the evening I would check with my managers for any last minute needs before I left for the day. If they did, I would stay until the task was complete.
Historical Review
Sourcing Specialist, in Supply Chain (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHNovember 10, 2014
Pros: location
Cons: drastic downsizing of the company has left many middle management employees jobless.
Historically, this has been a great place to work. Ideal location, and good experience in the sourcing field. I enjoyed working with various suppliers on sourcing projects, and negotiating savings to present to Stakeholders. I have no comment for the current environment, however.
Excellent organization.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHSeptember 15, 2014
Excellent organization, good atmosphere and co-workers.
Company is in bad state.
AP Issue Resolution Associate (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHAugust 13, 2014
Company is in bad state and is going to restructuring and lay offs.
Great Company, tough industry
Senior Financial Analyst - Investor Relations (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 28, 2014
Pros: good comp/benefits
Cons: uncertain future
Great place to work, easy to advance. Management is great. The industry is in a bit of a downturn currently so there has been a lot of reductions which is unfortunate. However it is a proud company that has been through these cycles before.
If it wasn't for the UNION Negotiated Benefits and Pay This place would be a revolving door.
Operator (Current Employee), Ishpeming, MIJuly 18, 2014
Pros: union wages and benefits
Cons: i hate going to a job where i make 100k a year. there is something wrong with that.
The Tilden Mine is a horrible place to work. you are treated poorly and unappreciated. nothing you do seems to matter until you break a rule. If your hard hat isn't green they don't care what you have to say. the experience is retiring and they won't hire. they are under threat of a hostile takeover and it's warranted. the US Iron Ore Unit accounts for 63% of what they took in last year and they blew it all on an unprofitable mine in Canada and cut investment in our aging plants. The management from the local level on up in inept. we have people running the mine that couldn't find the bathroom, people that will look at a computer screen and scream bloody murder if everything isn't running without any understanding of the concept of grind control or crushed. The hourly workforce is being treated like children and some likewise act like it and that helps NO ONE. Managers try to create division between the crews, the place is a MESS...... SO MUCH FOR ONECLIFFS........
good company with a bad future
no (Former Employee), 44114July 3, 2014
Pros: work life balance great, salary great, benefits great
Cons: company is unstable due to hostile investor. future uncertain
company is in a great location and has great benefits and salary. i loved working there but they have an uncertain future and layoffs have been massive
Cleveland Company
Anonymous (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHMay 13, 2014
Cliffs is a great Cleveland company which has allowed many opportunities for me. Unfortunately, the company has hit some tough times and going through a corporate restructuring.
Worked as a temporary college student.
General Laborer (Former Employee), Palmer, MIApril 30, 2014
Pros: good pay and learned about mining.
Cons: only a temporary employee, and working conditions.
Did general clean up of all mining areas, used forklift, and some minor construction projects. Management seemed okay. Didn't know a lot of my co-workers. Working conditions were not good, very dirty and safety was always a concern. I enjoyed learning about mining.
Great Place to Work if you're willing to work
Current Employee (Current Employee), Northern MichiganMarch 5, 2014
Cliffs has been great place to work, however recent management changes have lead to realignment, cut backs and reductions. I cannot predict whether it will continue to be a good place to work. My hope is that it will.
I have learned a lot about Plant Maintenance
Maintenance Planner/Coordinator (Former Employee), Ishpeming, MichiganMarch 3, 2014
It can be very trying working in union environment at times. Cliffs pays pretty well for your troubles.
Good benefits. Antiquated culture, management is non-proactive, little advancement oppurtunities
Procurement (Former Employee), Cleveland OHDecember 19, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: lack of advancement opportunities, little proactiveness, no "team" atmosphere
Company has good benefits and depending on where you are or which site there are other pros. However, in general, the management seems to be more reactive than proactive. Overall "putting out fires" mentality...never ever really gets ahead of the game. Most of the workforce is older and overall the culture is generally negative, I feel that the millennial generation would have a hard time relating to workers at this company. Atmosphere of "team" seemed to be missing. Advancement was really never mentioned, if you wanted to advance you had to seek it out yourself and in general the opportunities weren't there. In regards to this I kind of saw an "everyone for themself" attitude. However, again, the company had good pay and benefits and there were some "bright" spots depending on where you were located.
Maintenance (Former Employee), Ishpeming, MIOctober 21, 2013
Pros: pay and benefits
The people I worked with everyday made this job safe and fun.
Overall a very good company
Safety Program Manager (Current Employee), Adger, ALSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: good initial pay, great benefits
Cons: market volatility
Cliffs is a very good company, well managed with professional people. The only drawback (and it is more the industry, than the company) is the volatility of the market. High salaries, great benefits, and lots of layoffs.
Excellent Company to Work For!
Manager (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHSeptember 9, 2013
Cliffs is a great company to work for. A typical day requires collaboration and a strong ability to prioritize workload. They gave me an opportunity to really expand my career. The hardest part of my job is working in an environment that is currently undergoing some financial difficulties due to poor market performance and the potential voluntary and involuntary loss of coworkers. However, the challenges the company presents to someone at my level, as well as the industry alone, has made it a very rewarding company to work for.
Great benefits and pay, no opportunity for advancement
Maintenance Clerk (Current Employee), Bessemer, ALJune 10, 2013
Pros: good pay/benefits
Cons: odd hours and no opportunity for advancement
Cliffs is a wonderful company that strives to care for its employees. The branch companies, such as Oak Grove Resources, are usually 24-7 operations where an ideal work/life balance cannot be expected unless you are a day shift employee. Because of small operations and limited position openings, the room for advancement has become scarce.
Good benefits, good pay.
Laborer / Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Ishpeming, MIApril 26, 2013
Pros: benifits
Cons: work schedule
I enjoy what I do when I am at work, but the sched. is hard on the life outside work.
large company many people working here
Electrician (Current Employee), Ishpeming, MIApril 19, 2013
PM's on various electrical apparatus including transformers, starters and substations. Work with many different voltages up to 13.8 kv. Management seems to do a fairly decent job of organizing work and making sure that things are done in a timely fashion. Co-worker are competent and easy to get along with. It's a fairly big place and there are times when you are needed in three different places at once. Difficult to do. Best part of the job are the various challenges you face on a daily basis.

About Cliffs Natural Resources

Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. is an international mining and natural resources company. A member of the S&P 500 Index, the – Read more

Cliffs Natural Resources Salaries