Cliffs Natural Resources Employee Reviews in United States

Good company just needs better management
Maintenance Planner (Current Employee) –  Adger, ALMay 28, 2015
As said above.

I have learned a lot from working here and love the job, under different management it could be a really great place to work.
every day at work was about the say.
general inside laborer (Former Employee) –  Pineville, WVMay 19, 2015
a typical day at was was fun but it was work. everyday felt the same you might be doing a different job but it felt the same. i learned a lot in my 3 years there i can run ever piece of face equipment except the miner. management was not great it just seem like they couldnt get anything done . they send us to fix something and tell us how to fix it . the we would have to go back the next day and do it again but fix it our way then it was fixed right.ther wasnt really anything too hard you just about had a piece of equipment to do anything.
they best part of the job was working with people you would consider friends.
Pros
100 % medical
Cons
having to shovel a lot a lot .
A Commodities Rollercoaster
Credit & Receivables Analyst /Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 6, 2015
Expect a rocky road due to the declining iron ore prices. New management is working toward change, but it may be too little too late. What makes Cliffs is the people you work with, true professionals.
Pros
Healthcare, 401K, Pension
Cons
Highly volatile market, dedication not rewarded
Cliffs is a good employer
Safety Program & Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Alabama, Michigan, Minnesota & West VirginiaApril 20, 2015
Cliffs Natural Resources is in a very difficult pricing environment currently and has had to reduce SG&A. I enjoyed working with all of the various mine sites (coal & iron ore) and their management teams.
Pros
Very competitive salary, bonus & benefits.
Cons
Difficult market environment.
Great people to work with
Senior Business Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 2, 2015
Everybody was very friendly and eager to help. Unfortunately rumors of more lay offs finally came true for me after surviving 3 others.
Pros
Fruit and coffee every week
Cons
Hiring freezes and many lay offs every year
Great people!
Training Manager, IT Systems (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 27, 2015
The IT group was full of star performers. Poor management decisions lead the company in the wrong direction which has almost brought the company down. Sad to see such a great place lose so many great people.
Fast pace, busy environment with many learning opportunities.
Administrative Assistant - HR/Legal (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 24, 2015
As a self-motivated employee I started my day by listening to all voice mails and reading all emails, prioritizing each issue. I would then start with the most critical task and work my way down. Inevitably I would be interrupted by management with a task that would take precedence. It may be a power point presentation, a word document or an excel spreadsheet. It could be any task. If new cases came in I would get that organized with a new file, due dates, and a summary. I would make travel arrangements, process expense reports, process invoices with a system called OnBase. Using a follow up system that I created I would refer to that for due dates. Before I would leave in the evening I would check with my managers for any last minute needs before I left for the day. If they did, I would stay until the task was complete.
Pros
Atmosphere existed to learn and be independent
Cons
A high management turnover up to and including the Board of Directors
a good place to work until the layoffs and didnt rehire the men they laid off
Skilled operator (Former Employee) –  Man, WVNovember 26, 2014
ran heavy equipment and id work for them again if there were changes in some of the personal.
Pros
good health benefits, bonuses and a company picnic for the families
Cons
laid off
Historical Review
Sourcing Specialist, in Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 10, 2014
Historically, this has been a great place to work. Ideal location, and good experience in the sourcing field. I enjoyed working with various suppliers on sourcing projects, and negotiating savings to present to Stakeholders. I have no comment for the current environment, however.
Pros
location
Cons
drastic downsizing of the company has left many middle management employees jobless.
Excellent organization.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 15, 2014
Excellent organization, good atmosphere and co-workers.
Great experience
Director (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 27, 2014
Overall this was a great place to work. The Company has a wonderful culture, with exceptional people.
Company is in bad state.
AP Issue Resolution Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 13, 2014
Company is in bad state and is going to restructuring and lay offs.
Stressful work environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 12, 2014
Mainly typing correspondence to vendors and joint venture business partners. Arranging US and international travel, department expenses, budgeting and organizational charts for satellite offices.
Pros
internal college courses
Mining Company
Business Unit Controller (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 8, 2014
Responsible for all finance aspects of the coal business unit
Great Company, tough industry
Senior Financial Analyst - Investor Relations (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 28, 2014
Great place to work, easy to advance. Management is great. The industry is in a bit of a downturn currently so there has been a lot of reductions which is unfortunate. However it is a proud company that has been through these cycles before.
Pros
good comp/benefits
Cons
uncertain future
Excellent work environment with talented colleagues
IT Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 22, 2014
Good people at the staff level. Some major mistakes by upper management have resulted in the company experiencing extremely poor financial performance for the past two years.

I was very impressed by the quality of people I worked with in the IT group at the staff and middle management level. Very professional and talented group of people. Excellent work environment and outstanding productivity overall. My manager and director were two of the best people I have ever worked for. They treated me with respect, pushed me to grow, and supported me appropriately while allowing me the freedom to accomplish my goals without micro-management tactics. This is not something I was used to, and I benefitted greatly from their leadership styles.

I enjoyed conveying knowledge of systems to the mine sites. They are more resistant to technology than the average person, but we found ways to get around that, and make the employees more productive by their increased knowledge of the supporting applications and systems.

I also had a chance to actually develop, not just supervise, the creation of interactive training videos. I was not sure how well I would do, but discovered a hidden talent that I was not aware that I possessed.

The most difficult part of the job was witnessing the gradual loss of so much talent and all-around good people through layoffs and voluntary departures. I eventually became one of the involuntarily separated.
Pros
excellent environment, good staff, excellent salary and benefits.
Cons
poor upper management performance, some bureacracy in other areas of the company, lack of flexibility and creativity in implementing solutions in some areas of the company, upper managment stuck in 20th century mentality
If it wasn't for the UNION Negotiated Benefits and Pay This place would be a revolving door.
Operator (Current Employee) –  Ishpeming, MIJuly 18, 2014
The Tilden Mine is a horrible place to work. you are treated poorly and unappreciated. nothing you do seems to matter until you break a rule. If your hard hat isn't green they don't care what you have to say. the experience is retiring and they won't hire. they are under threat of a hostile takeover and it's warranted. the US Iron Ore Unit accounts for 63% of what they took in last year and they blew it all on an unprofitable mine in Canada and cut investment in our aging plants. The management from the local level on up in inept. we have people running the mine that couldn't find the bathroom, people that will look at a computer screen and scream bloody murder if everything isn't running without any understanding of the concept of grind control or crushed. The hourly workforce is being treated like children and some likewise act like it and that helps NO ONE. Managers try to create division between the crews, the place is a MESS...... SO MUCH FOR ONECLIFFS........
Pros
union wages and benefits
Cons
i hate going to a job where i make 100k a year. there is something wrong with that.
good company with a bad future
no (Former Employee) –  44114July 3, 2014
company is in a great location and has great benefits and salary. i loved working there but they have an uncertain future and layoffs have been massive
Pros
work life balance great, salary great, benefits great
Cons
company is unstable due to hostile investor. future uncertain
Cleveland Company
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 13, 2014
Cliffs is a great Cleveland company which has allowed many opportunities for me. Unfortunately, the company has hit some tough times and going through a corporate restructuring.
Worked as a temporary college student.
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Palmer, MIApril 30, 2014
Did general clean up of all mining areas, used forklift, and some minor construction projects. Management seemed okay. Didn't know a lot of my co-workers. Working conditions were not good, very dirty and safety was always a concern. I enjoyed learning about mining.
Pros
good pay and learned about mining.
Cons
only a temporary employee, and working conditions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cliffs Natural Resources. Our community is ready to answer.