Cliffs Natural Resources Employee Reviews

Great first job
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Oak Grove, ALNovember 3, 2015
Gave me alot of experience to carry over to other jobs ok pay and benefits its a small company but does good work fun place to work
Productive and Safe Work Place
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Logan, WVSeptember 23, 2015
Working for cliffs was a pleasure. I enjoyed every day. Work environment was always safe and the entire staff practiced safety.
Good pay and benifits.
Concentrating Plant Attendant (Current Employee) –  Palmer, MIAugust 27, 2015
Good pay and benefits. Some forced overtime, swing shifts and loud industrial work environment. No ping pong table. Dusty and dirty work area, with some chemical exposure.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Swing Shifts
Cliffs Benefits
Team (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 9, 2015
Cliffs benefits are excellent for their employees and reasonably priced considering all the changes with our health care environment. Cliffs also has two personal holidays. Overall, they have a great benefit package.
Great People and Work Environment
Maintenance Planner-Powellton Mine (Former Employee) –  Man, WVJuly 7, 2015
Loved working with the management and team. Enjoyed the fast paced environment and dealing with vendors to get needed parts. Enjoyed the scheduling and follow up to see if work was completed. My immediate supervisor and the Maintenance Manager were great people to work with. They were fair and honest and always helped me to be the best I could be.
productive work force
Pumper Fireboss (Current Employee) –  Oak Grove, ALJuly 6, 2015
As a fire boss pumper I travel throughout the mines searching, evaluating, and correcting hazardous conditions. Making safe work areas for employees throughout the mine. However, due to poor coal marketing I am forced to start searching for another job.
Enjoyable work environment with many perks
Senior Accountant - Operations (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OhioJune 26, 2015
A struggling iron ore mining company with a great heart. The people are what make this company a great place to work. Teamwork is truly practiced on a daily basis. There are many challenges currently facing the mining industry with falling iron ore and coal prices so the company is forced to do more with fewer people. This is a great opportunity for those individuals who enjoy getting in the details, learning new things and switching roles as the need arises.
Challenging a rewarding place to work
Supervisor in Pit Operations (Former Employee) –  Empire MineJune 20, 2015
Working at Cliffs was a challenging and rewarding job. Meeting and exceeding daily production targets was rewarding. When I fell short it was frustrating but as long as the day was safe all was well. Hardest part of the job was trying to change certain things, with a big company like Cliffs, change is slow. Do miss the people I worked with but not the schedule.
Good company just needs better management
Maintenance Planner (Current Employee) –  Adger, ALMay 28, 2015
As said above.

I have learned a lot from working here and love the job, under different management it could be a really great place to work.
every day at work was about the say.
general inside laborer (Former Employee) –  Pineville, WVMay 19, 2015
a typical day at was was fun but it was work. everyday felt the same you might be doing a different job but it felt the same. i learned a lot in my 3 years there i can run ever piece of face equipment except the miner. management was not great it just seem like they couldnt get anything done . they send us to fix something and tell us how to fix it . the we would have to go back the next day and do it again but fix it our way then it was fixed right.ther wasnt really anything too hard you just about had a piece of equipment to do anything.
they best part of the job was working with people you would consider friends.
Pros
100 % medical
Cons
having to shovel a lot a lot .
A Commodities Rollercoaster
Credit & Receivables Analyst /Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 6, 2015
Expect a rocky road due to the declining iron ore prices. New management is working toward change, but it may be too little too late. What makes Cliffs is the people you work with, true professionals.
Pros
Healthcare, 401K, Pension
Cons
Highly volatile market, dedication not rewarded
Cliffs is a good employer
Safety Program & Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Alabama, Michigan, Minnesota & West VirginiaApril 20, 2015
Cliffs Natural Resources is in a very difficult pricing environment currently and has had to reduce SG&A. I enjoyed working with all of the various mine sites (coal & iron ore) and their management teams.
Pros
Very competitive salary, bonus & benefits.
Cons
Difficult market environment.
Great people to work with
Senior Business Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 2, 2015
Everybody was very friendly and eager to help. Unfortunately rumors of more lay offs finally came true for me after surviving 3 others.
Pros
Fruit and coffee every week
Cons
Hiring freezes and many lay offs every year
Great people!
Training Manager, IT Systems (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 27, 2015
The IT group was full of star performers. Poor management decisions lead the company in the wrong direction which has almost brought the company down. Sad to see such a great place lose so many great people.
Fast pace, busy environment with many learning opportunities.
Administrative Assistant - HR/Legal (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 24, 2015
As a self-motivated employee I started my day by listening to all voice mails and reading all emails, prioritizing each issue. I would then start with the most critical task and work my way down. Inevitably I would be interrupted by management with a task that would take precedence. It may be a power point presentation, a word document or an excel spreadsheet. It could be any task. If new cases came in I would get that organized with a new file, due dates, and a summary. I would make travel arrangements, process expense reports, process invoices with a system called OnBase. Using a follow up system that I created I would refer to that for due dates. Before I would leave in the evening I would check with my managers for any last minute needs before I left for the day. If they did, I would stay until the task was complete.
Pros
Atmosphere existed to learn and be independent
Cons
A high management turnover up to and including the Board of Directors
a good place to work until the layoffs and didnt rehire the men they laid off
Skilled operator (Former Employee) –  Man, WVNovember 26, 2014
ran heavy equipment and id work for them again if there were changes in some of the personal.
Pros
good health benefits, bonuses and a company picnic for the families
Cons
laid off
Historical Review
Sourcing Specialist, in Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 10, 2014
Historically, this has been a great place to work. Ideal location, and good experience in the sourcing field. I enjoyed working with various suppliers on sourcing projects, and negotiating savings to present to Stakeholders. I have no comment for the current environment, however.
Pros
Cons
Drastic downsizing of the company has left many middle management employees jobless.
Excellent organization.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 15, 2014
Excellent organization, good atmosphere and co-workers.
Great experience
Director (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 27, 2014
Overall this was a great place to work. The Company has a wonderful culture, with exceptional people.
Company is in bad state.
AP Issue Resolution Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 13, 2014
Company is in bad state and is going to restructuring and lay offs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cliffs Natural Resources. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5