CliftonLarsonAllen Employee Reviews

Top National Firm with tons of office politics
Assurance Associate (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 16, 2017
Top 10 national firm with majority clients being nonprofits. The Office has a very high turnover within a year 8 employees resigned and moved on to opportunities. There is a lack of support from the management and no clear communication on whats need to be done
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Poor management, Not enough training
Bad company, not willing to help you learn
Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOAugust 10, 2017
I hated working here. Worst management I've ever dealt with. Compensation is good but not worth the amount of hours or stress. Awful communication between employees and management.
Productive stressful environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2017
Good Job to have, opens up a lot of opportunities. It builds you a solid base out of college but become more cutthroat the higher you rise. Overall a good experience.
Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 27, 2017
I was an auditor, so I traveled a lot. Relaxed office environment, younger staff. Great perks. The compensation is competitive. A lot of room for growth and advancement.
Lack of Integrity and Accountability
No (Former Employee) –  Central FloridaJuly 21, 2017
Principals lack leadership. Senior level lacks accountability. The CLA promise does not apply to staff. No in depth training and guidance. Rather "throw you under bus" than take responsibility.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Integrity and honesty questionable
The most awful training process I've ever seen
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 13, 2017
Working with the outsourcing group for CLA has been a very difficult process. Some parts of this group are great, others are awful.

What stands out the most to me is that training is horrendous, which they know and are working to improve at...and they really do try. As of my hiring, if you are somewhat inexperienced, you will likely either eat a ton of time or fail miserably. The firm itself doesn't seem to have a method for onboarding beyond throwing you into the fire. By my 3rd week, I was working way over 40 hours and expected to do things I had no experience with and no training on.

I think the partners are great, honest, cognizant folks. But the senior-level people are basically just staff-level with a year of experience, so they have no idea how to train or manage.

I do think they will eventually figure it out, but it definitely wasn't a fit for me.
Pros
The people are nice, friendly, hardworking. I haven't met any real bad apples.
Cons
Training is not effective, communication isn't great, on boarding is awful, the binder/password/organization of this group is out of control.
Just an Intern
Assurance Intern (Former Employee) –  Dixon, ILJune 13, 2017
I was just a summer intern. CLA seemed like it was a little firm trying to stomp around in dad's big shoes. They put out nice looking graphics and had nice neon-signs outside, but the inside of their building was outdated and... a little dingy. The partner I was assigned to wasn't able to find any time for his new staff, so I really wasn't assigned anything more than making copies.
Pros
$0.10 sodas in the lunch room
Cons
Little worth-while experience
Great Internship Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 11, 2017
Everyone in the office is nice, and there's always someone there to help out with questions. Training was very fast, but once you've completed a few returns you start to pick up on how the software works.
Good audit position
Associate (Current Employee) –  DenverMarch 27, 2017
CLA provides a good opportunity to learn from professionals without being exposed to the insanity of big 4 accounting. Decent work life balance for an audit
Terrible Culture
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 15, 2017
Would not recommend working here. Enjoy a smaller tax firm and actually learn stuff. Very immature and unprofessional managers. Mostly monkey tasks for interns and lots of bad talk behind their backs.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
benefits, culture, work life balance
big cpa firm feel without the long hours
Audit Engagement Director (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 16, 2017
Smart team atmosphere, I learned a lot about people and how to lead as well as industry regulations. Management has somewhat of a passive aggressive style. The most enjoyable part of the job has been the flexibility of working hours and locations, while not on client travel.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
inflexibility in travel
Great people, flexible for a CPA firm
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  OhioDecember 13, 2016
Company provides formal training on culture, systems and tools which was a big help.

Co-workers are friendly and helpful. Nice mix of diverse personalities. Managers encourage questions and want to help you learn. Company likes to get everyone involved in community events and college events. It's a high volume of work but not a surprise in public accounting.
Pros
Feel like a part of the team, exposure to a lot of industries
Cons
Principals disengaged from team
Poor culture environment
Rep (Former Employee) –  MplsDecember 9, 2016
A typical work day at CLA, no one was respectful to me, around me nor to others. Managers were horrible. They did not listen to understand the employees because they lack in communication and diversity.
Cons
coworkers, management
Only If You're Looking For Part-time Work
Engagement Director (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 3, 2016
The company advertises the positions as if they are recruiting for full-time professionals. Truth is, they are recruiting for pending or current projects where there is an immediate need. Please, do not leave a full-time paying position in hopes that you are going to another full-time paying position. Once the project is over for which you were recruited, you might find yourself employed but not working and making any money. You are paid by the hour so the company doesn't have to pay you when there is no work, i.e, you take the risk if the company's business development professionals do not have enough work to keep you busy. No overhead for the company and no income for you. Keep your current job, even if you're fed up to your eyebrows with it. At least you're earning a living!
Pros
Temporary income if you have no income or supplementing income.
Cons
Recruiting is somewhat deceptive.
Sweatshop
Tax Manager (Former Employee) –  Midwest, IAOctober 26, 2016
This place is so poorly mismanaged it's hard to believe they get paid to assist clients.

1. They treat employees like commodities, you are known by utilization %, rate per hour, charge hour progress and new business growth.
2. The communication between principals (that is what they call partners) is poor at best. It is even worse between principals and staff.
3. They call themselves "the career building firm" but rarely do principals mentor staff or assist in career building goals. I did not have one conversation about my career growth despite numerous direct requests to my career coach. I followed up with HR person and evidently ticked off my coach and was given cold shoulder until I quit. Found out about last salary adjustment by looking at employee portal. Principals didn't even bother to talk to me.
4. Pay raises do not reflect current market nor production. Starting point is how little can we by with to prevent you from leaving.
5. Training is 80% cross selling related and 10% technical.
6. Principals do not include staff in client meetings.
7. Principals prefer not to talk to staff until after 5:00 so not to interfere with phone calls and their doors are usually shut.
8. Principals regularly sit on work for months then try to get out door at last minute requiring last minute long nights and weekends.
9. We were supposed to get salary adjustments reflecting new business. Never happened. A 2% raise was considered fantastic.
10. There are principals that are supposed to be generating new business and bring in absolutely squat.

I would look somewhere else
  more... if looking at a manager or above position.  less
Pros
Cons
Inattentive Principals
Decent hours for an audit position
Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 26, 2016
Decent hours for audit position. Sold team leadership and overall high work moral. Hours are flexible as long as you get your work done. Not a bad place to work.
Pros
Per diem
Cons
Work life balance
Turn the other way
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  OrlandoSeptember 5, 2016
Don't do it. Management is disorganized. Culture is terrible. Only thing nice is the staff. Work was boring and things were not done efficiently.
Pros
it is a job
Cons
managment, culture, stressful, no work life balance
ok place to work
Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 21, 2016
ok place to work, 50-60 hours/week in busy season, only half travel time are chargeable, somewhat work/life balance, a lot of traveling
No work
Engagement Director (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 5, 2016
I was recruited by CLA in July of 2015. I became employed by CLA in August of 2015. I was told they had plennty of work but once I signed on there was none. I was employed by CLA for about 10 months and in that ten months I may have worked a total of 1 month. I calculated that I lost about $100k in wages since I left a paying job to come work for CLA. So be careful. They really do not care about you.
Pros
Cons
They do not care if they do not have work for you
Great first job
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 24, 2016
This job was essential for my understanding of business. You really get a chance to see how several different types of businessess and industries work, and then your placed into a specific industry to gain a further specialization. CliftonLarsonAllen is a great first Company to work for and I would recommend it to anyone considering them. This is also a Company that holds quality to a high standard. They will train you to work hard and set your expectations high.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CliftonLarsonAllen. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7