CliftonLarsonAllen Employee Reviews

Good audit position
Associate (Current Employee) –  DenverMarch 27, 2017
CLA provides a good opportunity to learn from professionals without being exposed to the insanity of big 4 accounting. Decent work life balance for an audit
Terrible Culture
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 15, 2017
Would not recommend working here. Enjoy a smaller tax firm and actually learn stuff. Very immature and unprofessional managers. Mostly monkey tasks for interns and lots of bad talk behind their backs.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
benefits, culture, work life balance
big cpa firm feel without the long hours
Audit Engagement Director (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 16, 2017
Smart team atmosphere, I learned a lot about people and how to lead as well as industry regulations. Management has somewhat of a passive aggressive style. The most enjoyable part of the job has been the flexibility of working hours and locations, while not on client travel.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
inflexibility in travel
Great people, flexible for a CPA firm
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  OhioDecember 13, 2016
Company provides formal training on culture, systems and tools which was a big help.

Co-workers are friendly and helpful. Nice mix of diverse personalities. Managers encourage questions and want to help you learn. Company likes to get everyone involved in community events and college events. It's a high volume of work but not a surprise in public accounting.
Pros
Feel like a part of the team, exposure to a lot of industries
Cons
Principals disengaged from team
Poor culture environment
Rep (Former Employee) –  MplsDecember 9, 2016
A typical work day at CLA, no one was respectful to me, around me nor to others. Managers were horrible. They did not listen to understand the employees because they lack in communication and diversity.
Cons
coworkers, management
Only If You're Looking For Part-time Work
Engagement Director (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 3, 2016
The company advertises the positions as if they are recruiting for full-time professionals. Truth is, they are recruiting for pending or current projects where there is an immediate need. Please, do not leave a full-time paying position in hopes that you are going to another full-time paying position. Once the project is over for which you were recruited, you might find yourself employed but not working and making any money. You are paid by the hour so the company doesn't have to pay you when there is no work, i.e, you take the risk if the company's business development professionals do not have enough work to keep you busy. No overhead for the company and no income for you. Keep your current job, even if you're fed up to your eyebrows with it. At least you're earning a living!
Pros
Temporary income if you have no income or supplementing income.
Cons
Recruiting is somewhat deceptive.
Sweatshop
Tax Manager (Former Employee) –  Midwest, IAOctober 26, 2016
This place is so poorly mismanaged it's hard to believe they get paid to assist clients.

1. They treat employees like commodities, you are known by utilization %, rate per hour, charge hour progress and new business growth.
2. The communication between principals (that is what they call partners) is poor at best. It is even worse between principals and staff.
3. They call themselves "the career building firm" but rarely do principals mentor staff or assist in career building goals. I did not have one conversation about my career growth despite numerous direct requests to my career coach. I followed up with HR person and evidently ticked off my coach and was given cold shoulder until I quit. Found out about last salary adjustment by looking at employee portal. Principals didn't even bother to talk to me.
4. Pay raises do not reflect current market nor production. Starting point is how little can we by with to prevent you from leaving.
5. Training is 80% cross selling related and 10% technical.
6. Principals do not include staff in client meetings.
7. Principals prefer not to talk to staff until after 5:00 so not to interfere with phone calls and their doors are usually shut.
8. Principals regularly sit on work for months then try to get out door at last minute requiring last minute long nights and weekends.
9. We were supposed to get salary adjustments reflecting new business. Never happened. A 2% raise was considered fantastic.
10. There are principals that are supposed to be generating new business and bring in absolutely squat.

I would look somewhere else
  more... if looking at a manager or above position.  less
Pros
Cons
Inattentive Principals
Decent hours for an audit position
Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 26, 2016
Decent hours for audit position. Sold team leadership and overall high work moral. Hours are flexible as long as you get your work done. Not a bad place to work.
Pros
Per diem
Cons
Work life balance
Turn the other way
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  OrlandoSeptember 5, 2016
Don't do it. Management is disorganized. Culture is terrible. Only thing nice is the staff. Work was boring and things were not done efficiently.
Pros
it is a job
Cons
managment, culture, stressful, no work life balance
ok place to work
Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 21, 2016
ok place to work, 50-60 hours/week in busy season, only half travel time are chargeable, somewhat work/life balance, a lot of traveling

Want to know more about CliftonLarsonAllen?

Ask a question
No work
Engagement Director (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 5, 2016
I was recruited by CLA in July of 2015. I became employed by CLA in August of 2015. I was told they had plennty of work but once I signed on there was none. I was employed by CLA for about 10 months and in that ten months I may have worked a total of 1 month. I calculated that I lost about $100k in wages since I left a paying job to come work for CLA. So be careful. They really do not care about you.
Pros
Cons
They do not care if they do not have work for you
Great first job
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 24, 2016
This job was essential for my understanding of business. You really get a chance to see how several different types of businessess and industries work, and then your placed into a specific industry to gain a further specialization. CliftonLarsonAllen is a great first Company to work for and I would recommend it to anyone considering them. This is also a Company that holds quality to a high standard. They will train you to work hard and set your expectations high.
Some industry groups are better than others
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 19, 2016
Great opportunities
Work/life balance is hard
not every group follows the operational excellence that top management hands down
Communication could use some work
Not a good fit
Associate (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAMarch 2, 2016
You will be sent to training but won't use it. They throw you into the bull pin and expect you get it right away. If you are going to join this firm, don't do it during tax season! join during summer, spring or fall never winter. This will provide you with the opportunity to learn the system, rules and protocol.
Pros
Free food, great pay, good career opportunities.
Cons
No worklife balance at all, management not supportive, sink or swim atmosphere.
Productive and fun work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 9, 2016
A typical day at work would be preparing commercial proposals for the Sales people, to present to their clients. Helped putting together Power Point presentations for them as well. I learned how to be more efficient in a timely manner with everything. I also learned to prioritize, since there were 9 Account Executives, 3 Managers and a Research Director to answer to. The hardest part of the job would be the deadlines at times. The most enjoyable part was the closeness of the entire Sales Department. We would have small parties, free lunches, potlucks, etc. I really enjoyed my time working at WISN TV.
Pros
Closeness of the Sales Department and free lunches, etc. of appreciation
Cons
Sometimes the deadlines were tough
Affiliated with Accounting Management Solutions- sleazy
exploited worker (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 29, 2016
For whatever reason, this company has decided to work with Accounting Management Solutions, a Boston area company widely known for its unethical and exploitive practices.
Unrealistic Work Life Balance
Engagement Director (Former Employee) –  Hudson, WIDecember 29, 2015
Expectations are set very high in regards to work life balance. Work is to come first. Coworkers are great and support each other as long as they are in the same location as you.
Great people
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDDecember 26, 2015
Great people, relaxed working environment, and wonderful clients. Loved every minute of working there, and met some of my closest friends on the job.
Great Job
Regulatory Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, MAOctober 20, 2015
Job is great stepping stone. The work life balance is perfect. They take really good care of their employees. Best experience ever.
Work
Executive Assistant/Tax Processing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 15, 2015
A typical work day was back to back items. Things always needed attention whether it was staff, procedures, jobs, projects etc. You can never say you had nothing to do there was always a deadline that needed attention. Your work/life balance was none existent.
Pros
Great firmwide policies and procedures. Great Culture
Cons
Drama and gossip

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CliftonLarsonAllen. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8