CliftonLarsonAllen Employee Reviews

Busy firm with lots of advancement potential
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAOctober 6, 2017
Lots to do there and managers were good. There was a fair amount of turnover, which should be expected from a growing Big 6 firm, but the work was interesting.
Professional
Bookkeeper II (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WASeptember 21, 2017
The staff is very professional. They are forward thinking. They believe in balance of work and home life. Benefits are very nice. All the employees welcome you to the team.
Good culture, disenfranchised reviews on career progression
Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 20, 2017
I worked at CLA for a year. Office is very progressive in its attempt to attract millennials with its casual office atmosphere and work socials, however at the core of the job, its PPS reviews were very impartial and gave no clear insight from managers and seniors on how to grow with the business. CLA talks about change in the work environment, however the consensus during my tenure is that its ability to help new employees succeed and growth their careers is at the bottom of their concern. The office has had numerous turnover in administrative staff during the year and several colleagues departed during my last few weeks at the firm.
Pros
Flexible Time Off, Pay, Casual Culture
Cons
Horrible Performance and Advancement System, 401(K) Vesting
Depends on the office location
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 21, 2017
I have worked for three different office locations for this company. I started out in one of their small town offices of about 5 other people. It didn't go anywhere so I was hired by another office in a different city, it was a fabulous office to work for. Everyone was awesome. Then I moved and ended up getting a position with one of the larger offices. It was horrible. I met a few great coworkers but management was the worst I've ever witnessed let alone worked under. The office manager is like David Brent of The Office on acid. She is the worst ocd micro-manager I have ever had the displeasure of working for. Instead of trusting her staff to get their work done in a timely manner she would interrupt them every 10-20 minutes to see where they were at which disrupts productivity and employee moral.
The managing principle of this office is disrespectful and demeaning to the other partners as well as staff. They barely pay you enough to survive so you better hope that during tax season you get all the hours you can just to save up some money. There are several things wrong with management that I would honestly run out of characters before I could finish. I highly suggest that corporate send in someone undercover and see what it's really like.
Pros
Free lunch on Wednesdays during tax season, Happy Hour Thursdays, free snacks, travel reimbursement, reimbursement for annual fees, etc
Cons
Bipolar micromanager, no OT for anyone but admin, Management style is unhealthy
Its a job
Tax Accountant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 19, 2017
Its a job... Life is what you make it. A job is what you make it. Just don't be fooled and make sure you are always looking out for numero uno. Loyalty does not exist in Corporate America.
Top National Firm with tons of office politics
Assurance Associate (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 16, 2017
Top 10 national firm with majority clients being nonprofits. The Office has a very high turnover within a year 8 employees resigned and moved on to opportunities. There is a lack of support from the management and no clear communication on whats need to be done
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Poor management, Not enough training
Bad company, not willing to help you learn
Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOAugust 10, 2017
I hated working here. Worst management I've ever dealt with. Compensation is good but not worth the amount of hours or stress. Awful communication between employees and management.
Productive stressful environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2017
Good Job to have, opens up a lot of opportunities. It builds you a solid base out of college but become more cutthroat the higher you rise. Overall a good experience.
Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 27, 2017
I was an auditor, so I traveled a lot. Relaxed office environment, younger staff. Great perks. The compensation is competitive. A lot of room for growth and advancement.
Lack of Integrity and Accountability
No (Former Employee) –  Central FloridaJuly 21, 2017
Principals lack leadership. Senior level lacks accountability. The CLA promise does not apply to staff. No in depth training and guidance. Rather "throw you under bus" than take responsibility.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Integrity and honesty questionable
The most awful training process I've ever seen
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 13, 2017
Working with the outsourcing group for CLA has been a very difficult process. Some parts of this group are great, others are awful.

What stands out the most to me is that training is horrendous, which they know and are working to improve at...and they really do try. As of my hiring, if you are somewhat inexperienced, you will likely either eat a ton of time or fail miserably. The firm itself doesn't seem to have a method for onboarding beyond throwing you into the fire. By my 3rd week, I was working way over 40 hours and expected to do things I had no experience with and no training on.

I think the partners are great, honest, cognizant folks. But the senior-level people are basically just staff-level with a year of experience, so they have no idea how to train or manage.

I do think they will eventually figure it out, but it definitely wasn't a fit for me.
Pros
The people are nice, friendly, hardworking. I haven't met any real bad apples.
Cons
Training is not effective, communication isn't great, on boarding is awful, the binder/password/organization of this group is out of control.
Great learning experiance
Experienced Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 18, 2017
CLA serves as a great learning opportunity for anyone interested in the accounting profession. Management reaches out on a regular basis for feedback from staff in order to locate areas of improvement.
Just an Intern
Assurance Intern (Former Employee) –  Dixon, ILJune 13, 2017
I was just a summer intern. CLA seemed like it was a little firm trying to stomp around in dad's big shoes. They put out nice looking graphics and had nice neon-signs outside, but the inside of their building was outdated and... a little dingy. The partner I was assigned to wasn't able to find any time for his new staff, so I really wasn't assigned anything more than making copies.
Pros
$0.10 sodas in the lunch room
Cons
Little worth-while experience
Great Internship Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 11, 2017
Everyone in the office is nice, and there's always someone there to help out with questions. Training was very fast, but once you've completed a few returns you start to pick up on how the software works.
Good audit position
Associate (Current Employee) –  DenverMarch 27, 2017
CLA provides a good opportunity to learn from professionals without being exposed to the insanity of big 4 accounting. Decent work life balance for an audit
Terrible Culture
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 15, 2017
Would not recommend working here. Enjoy a smaller tax firm and actually learn stuff. Very immature and unprofessional managers. Mostly monkey tasks for interns and lots of bad talk behind their backs.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
benefits, culture, work life balance
big cpa firm feel without the long hours
Audit Engagement Director (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 16, 2017
Smart team atmosphere, I learned a lot about people and how to lead as well as industry regulations. Management has somewhat of a passive aggressive style. The most enjoyable part of the job has been the flexibility of working hours and locations, while not on client travel.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
inflexibility in travel
Great people, flexible for a CPA firm
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  OhioDecember 13, 2016
Company provides formal training on culture, systems and tools which was a big help.

Co-workers are friendly and helpful. Nice mix of diverse personalities. Managers encourage questions and want to help you learn. Company likes to get everyone involved in community events and college events. It's a high volume of work but not a surprise in public accounting.
Pros
Feel like a part of the team, exposure to a lot of industries
Cons
Principals disengaged from team
Poor culture environment
Rep (Former Employee) –  MplsDecember 9, 2016
A typical work day at CLA, no one was respectful to me, around me nor to others. Managers were horrible. They did not listen to understand the employees because they lack in communication and diversity.
Cons
coworkers, management
Only If You're Looking For Part-time Work
Engagement Director (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 3, 2016
The company advertises the positions as if they are recruiting for full-time professionals. Truth is, they are recruiting for pending or current projects where there is an immediate need. Please, do not leave a full-time paying position in hopes that you are going to another full-time paying position. Once the project is over for which you were recruited, you might find yourself employed but not working and making any money. You are paid by the hour so the company doesn't have to pay you when there is no work, i.e, you take the risk if the company's business development professionals do not have enough work to keep you busy. No overhead for the company and no income for you. Keep your current job, even if you're fed up to your eyebrows with it. At least you're earning a living!
Pros
Temporary income if you have no income or supplementing income.
Cons
Recruiting is somewhat deceptive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CliftonLarsonAllen. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7