Closets by Design Employee Reviews

Great design experience
Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  Exton, PAOctober 7, 2017
Fully commission position. Good health benefits. No compensation for travel/gas. Very long work days especially when appointments are over 1 hour away and you may spend 2-4 hours with a customer. Flexible work schedule, but usually have to work evenings and weekends. Leads are not qualified, so there is a lot of wild goose chases and no show appointments. Employees are friendly and a team environment. Compensation is relative to the amount of time you are willing to commit to the job which makes free time/family time few and far between.
Pros
Creative, flexible schedule, health benefits, work from home
Cons
compensation, daily travel
Always fun and exciting
Senior Designer and sale consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 4, 2017
Its a great place for student, house wife's to work at if you know how to manage your time. The company will trained you on how to design to maximize the space the client has to work with.
Pros
Always time for school and family
Cons
based on commision
Pretty Great Place
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 30, 2017
The great part about working at Closets by Design was that the expectations and functions were the same every day however, since we dealt with different people everyday, the days were always different. The most enjoyable part of my job was the fact that I could hear the satisfaction in the client's voices when they called to make their payments, etc. The hardest part was dealing with clients that didn't want to pay or had something go wrong with their installation. The management was great and had positive people that cared about their employees.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
no breaks, 10 hour days
Fun, creative challenging workplace
Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  Exton, PAAugust 25, 2017
As a long time(13 year) employee of closets by design, I can honestly say that my career here has completely changed my life. it has given me the opportunity to be independently financially successful, work with amazing coworkers and managers who have become my extended family, develop wonderful relationships with clients, many of whom I have worked with repeatedly over the years. The job of a designer allows us to work with people in their homes and to see instant transformation as we improve their spaces to be more beautiful, efficient and functional. The pay scale is fair and there are opportunities for bonuses, and fulltime employees get full benefits. The schedule is flexible to allow us to have a life outside of work. We employ fulltime install crews to ensure the quality of their work and you can trust them in your home. From customer service through installation and beyond, we pride ourselves on a smooth and pleasant experience for our customers. Most of my customers are repeats and referrals and there is no greater compliment to the quality of our company. I highly encourage anyone who wants a fun, creative, personally and emotionally rewarding sales career with an opportunity for great income to consider coming to Closets by Design
Pros
great benefits, commission potential, flexible schedule, great coworkers
Cons
must manage your time well and be detail oriented.
Horrible Place to work
Designer/Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Exton, PAAugust 16, 2017
They cherry pick which leads to give to which designers
Management was rude and not helpful
Coworkers were nice
They had me driving all over creation
Not consistant
Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAAugust 14, 2017
The first few weeks of working here was pretty good. Lots of appointments to keep new designers happy. We were also paid for each appointment whether it was sold or not.
Once that probationary period ended it was commission only with very limited appointments.The fact that you don't know your schedule until the night before makes it impossible to have a normal work schedule. Also, because you don't get paid until jobs are installed there will be several weeks until you get paid. It is impossible to make a living here.
Pros
Managers are nice
Cons
Commission Only, limited appointments, long periods without pay
Good steady work
Installation and Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 19, 2017
I managed the company through the boom and the recession. It was a great job for me, but many of the lower level employees did not have benefits or stability.
Pros
Owner was very cool.
Cons
Some employees were underpaid.
Amazing Workforce!
Builder/Installer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 31, 2017
My days start with an assigned job that I would load into a work-van. Typically I would check the levels of the hardware and make sure all of the tools were properly organized. I would drive out to the job site and unload the materials to the room I was working in. Once the build was properly leveled and mounted into studs I would vacuum and dust the remaining debris.
I learned how to properly assemble and secure furniture into the house. I learned how to accurately measure and cut on a saw grinder, table saw and chop saw.
Management was coordinated, organized and professional. Any time I was unsure of what to do I could call upon the office and request assistance.
All of my coworkers were extremely helpful, if I ever needed help completing a job on time I could call my coworkers for assistance in doing so in a timely matter.
What gave me the most difficulty working with different customers at Closets by Design was doing service calls. Going back to the house and fixing something to give it that finished look was always a hurdle.
The part that gave me the most enjoyment was getting the customers approval and completing the paperwork.
Pros
My own work pace. Commission.
Cons
Driving to different locations frequently.
Productive and Fun place with full kitchen
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Shirley, MAMay 25, 2017
Enjoyable atmosphere, close relationships among co-workers. Learned how to schedule appointments and disperse orders to installers. Hardest part was when a customer would cancel their appointment and no matter how hard I tried, they would not reschedule. The enjoyable part was working with great people and getting involved in the aspect of the business.
Pros
Holiday Parties, bonus compensation
Cons
N/a
Good place to learn
Lead Installer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 16, 2017
This is a great place to learn a new skill in carpentry. Most employees are very knowledgeable and good teachers. Good management but not very much space for advancement.
machine operator
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLMay 6, 2017
bring wood in, set up bander and run test wood. if there were any issues we would correct and fix the issue then run our daily goal. we would then stack all of our wood and inspect it.
Technical support
Office Manager/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, NYApril 24, 2017
Over all it is not a great environment to work in the management is alway micromanaging . The information that was handed down was always changing. Could bot relay policy changes on time or correctly
Ugh
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXApril 13, 2017
The concept of the company is pretty cool, however the owners are very unpleasant. Owned by a husband and wife who brought a lot of their "home" business to the office
think of this as a part time job at best
Designer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 29, 2017
It's interesting going to different people's homes and designing an organization system to their needs, I particularly loved the problem solving and design aspect of it. However you unfortunately have to waste time by doing a lot of appointments and not making a sale before you do land a sale. And it's commission only. So it's maybe a good extra part time job but I don't think you can make a living at it. I did enjoy the flexible hours and being free most of he day and not tied to an office. But I wasted a lot of time on people just using me for a free design drawing.
Pros
flexible schedule lots of free time meeting new people
Cons
many customers don't buy and it's commission only
Commission based salary with too much competition
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, NYFebruary 27, 2017
Coworkers were pleasant including management. Difficult profession due to competition in the industry. The hardest part of the job was the amount of hours it took to make a sale. The most enjoyable part of the job was the independence to make my own hours.
A great place to start in the trades business.
installer (Current Employee) –  Addison, IL 60101January 29, 2017
A typical day involves conducting an inventory of the organizer's parts and loading all materials for the day's installation. Management is knowledgeable and empowering. Co-workers provide pointers and fine details for a perfect installation.

The hardest part of the job is to accept the fact of low payment for the services and efforts provided. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see the happy faces of customers when they see their brand new organizers.
Pros
Transportation is provided to conduct installation and services.
Cons
Low paid job.
Great business
Installer (Former Employee) –  Shirley, MAJanuary 26, 2017
Genius production and installation of their closet systems. Lots of opportunity for new employees and great compensation/commission based work. Management is well run. Communication between installer and designer in the field needs work. Very rewarding giving the customer what they were desiring
Pros
commision and extra work oppurtunity
Terrible Job
Sales Consultant/Designer (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAJanuary 3, 2017
It is a dying business that charges far too much and does not have any intention of changing with the times. They will not even retake outdated product photos that are so old that they are embarrassing
Great Owner but VERY Poor Managment
Sawman (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 29, 2016
Was one of the best jobs I've had, however the manager was very unprofessional and childish. Couldn't stay another day.
bad job
Installer (Former Employee) –  Carlstadt, NJAugust 17, 2016
very angry owner always screaming. the job was ok because i worked alone and meet a lot of nice people who made my day easy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Closets by Design. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7