Closets by Design Employee Reviews

Terrible Job
Sales Consultant/Designer (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAJanuary 3, 2017
It is a dying business that charges far too much and does not have any intention of changing with the times. They will not even retake outdated product photos that are so old that they are embarrassing
Great Owner but VERY Poor Managment
Sawman (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 29, 2016
Was one of the best jobs I've had, however the manager was very unprofessional and childish. Couldn't stay another day.
bad job
Installer (Former Employee) –  Carlstadt, NJAugust 17, 2016
very angry owner always screaming. the job was ok because i worked alone and meet a lot of nice people who made my day easy.
Stressful and unprofessional company to work for
Installation Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 8, 2016
In the morning (7am) I would look over customer projects for the day and find several items missing. Items were either not produced in the shop and/or they were not ordered in time for installation. Important deadlines for when to have special items ordered are rarely met and the only person in charge of ordering (the owner) forgets to do so and makes last minute rushes to buy products from Home Depot (Same day as installation). The company is highly understaffed and improperly trained. No training was given to me when I started, yet, I was required to complete projects. The person doing the scheduling (the owner) for customer's installations does a terrible job. Too many projects will be scheduled for the same day and it always results in customer's being skipped and rushed service. Product quality is poor because personnel in the shop is rushed all day and behind. I had to make several service calls to complete and fix incorrect installations and missing items. There is a terrible disconnect between designers and the installation crews. Designer's don't know what they are promising and charging for, and the owner doesn't know how to install what he purchases for customer's projects. Unfortunately for Installation personnel, they have no choice but to apologize every installation and tell customers their closets that they paid thousands of dollars for will not be completed. They have the difficult task of trying to make miracles happen. A typical work day would start at 7 am and easily take until at least 7pm everyday. I tried telling the owner all the difficulties that make  more... installations challenging to help improve his business but he never listened. He would always state its easy and simple and should never take as long as it always does. I do NOT ever desire to work for a company who treats both its customers and its employees the way this company does!  less
Pros
Seeing customers appreciate your hardwork
Cons
The owner, the false promises from designers, unrealistic workload
Great!
Designer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 6, 2016
I really enjoyed my time at Closets by Design! It wasn't a great fit for me at the time based on what I needed. The company is amazing and very willing to help you succeed!
Pros
Great owners!
Good Part Time Business.
Designer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAJanuary 20, 2016
Worked part-time designing closet systems. Leads were provided. Appointments were made to visit the homeowner, measure areas, and discuss layouts such as clothing space, drawers, doors, doorw with glass, trim, shoe racks and other systems. Quotes were then presented to client. I learned that clients are willing to pay thousands for a system if the product meets their needs and satisfaction. The hardest part of the job is trying to measure where a customer did not clear the area. The most enjoyable was designing the systems based on the measurements.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Limited Leads
high energy workplace
Installer/Craftsman (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLAugust 23, 2015
Closet companies are unfortunately the bottom rung of the woodworking industry. Emphasis is on sales with quality of work and accuracy being secondary. I did work with a good crew of people who all worked at their utmost to get the jobs done. Hardest part: fixing mistakes. Most enjoyable: the friendships.
Pros
see above
Cons
see above
Fast paced work. Various responsibilities, very busy
Installer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 29, 2015
Great company,knowledgeable people. Learned a lot of new skills and techniques.
Purchased the tools needed for job, but red tape and politics slowed down process of advancement. Wages were underwhelming.
Pros
on the spot training
Cons
compensation
Productive, fun workplace
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Shirley, MAJuly 20, 2015
Working at Closets by Design was nice. My main priority was to answer phones and set up appointments for people to go out to the customers home. My only issue was that I never had enough work to do.
Unpredictable Leads and Work Hours
Design Consultant/Customer Service/Sales (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 5, 2015
I traveled to see clients to assist in designing and space planning different areas in their homes and offices. I learned to become very efficient in organization and customer service. I did not spend time with co-workers except in a monthly meeting. The employees were not giving a lot of leads. Unfortunately, the employees did not find out if they had a lead until the night before, which made it quite difficult to plan. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new clients and making their spaces more desirable and efficient.
Pros
Organizing Homes and Offices
Cons
Unpredictable Leads and Pay
Great Life Experience
Designer / Reception (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILFebruary 11, 2015
A typical day at work when designing was to go to a client's house for a few hours, measuring their space that they'd like to organize, and design and price out a great organizational tool that works reat within their budget. As a receptionist, a typical day included being on time to take the first phone call at 9:00 a.m, answering calls and writing down potential client's information to set up an estimate date, keeping the office clean and organized, relaying information to the right people, transferring calls to the right extensions, and multitasking for ultimate time management. My co-workers were amazing. I love them all, dearly. The hardest part of my job was sales aspect of my job. The most enjoyable part was getting to meet tons of new, interesting people.
Pros
Free lunches, great technology, tablets, and all supplies free.
Cons
dealing with very difficult people in their homes, no benefits unless you reached 19 leads a month, used way too much gas.
Rewarding work.
Installer/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Addison, ILFebruary 4, 2015
A typical day would consist of obtaining jobsite blueprints and drawings, interpreting design concepts and locating job materials. Materials would then need to be inspected for measurement accuracy and quality control. After inspection the job would then be loaded into the work vehicle and delivered to the appropriate location where installation would be completed. Throughout the day saws, hand tools and power tools would be used to insure proper completion of installation.
Sweet and helpful coworkers in environment plagued with confusion
Designer (Current Employee) –  Addison, ILJanuary 5, 2015
Typically I work outside the office so establishing constructive relationships with clients and coworkers is paramount. Management is key to overall success at the company. However some of the management styles are not to my liking. It seems employees are confused about who to solicit help when encountering a problem. There is not usually a straight answer given, most questions are answered differently by different mangers so it can become confusing as to which direction to follow. I must say, my coworkers do a great job of trying to find the correct answer even if that means asking everyone at the company, which can be unnecessarily time consuming. Also, sometimes I feel that sales incentives are not comparable to the actual sales growth experienced by the company. In the end, I like the flexibility of the job but do not like how much driving around it entails.
Pros
flexible schedule, part-time work with potential for full time compensation
Cons
confusion in the workplace and consant driving more than 20 miles from my area
Challenging for more reasons than necessary.
Junior Installer (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXDecember 11, 2014
Solid work but stinted pay and advancement opportunities. Lacks a true and effective management structure. Training is all in field and lacks structure or gauging for comprehension.
Pros
weekends-off
Cons
Unpredictable schedule
Enjoyed designing training for any state franchise
Gardena, Manager of Training and Development (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAFebruary 5, 2014
Very small company. Some fine people. Became ill and had a long recovery time. The hardest part was that they would not let me return on a reduced schedule.
Pros
Flew to other States to evaluate location for new factory
Cons
Flew coach, many connections, use taxi's or limo rather than rent a car
Fast paced and great work environment
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Exton, PAJanuary 8, 2014
Wonderful Company, great people. Closet design, sales, and travel are the name of this game.
Ability to excel individually
Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 9, 2013
You are able to work alone to showcase your own individual skills and abilities.
commission only, good schedule
Designer/Sales (Current Employee) –  Addison, ILApril 26, 2013
the best part about this job is having an open schedule and not sitting behind a desk all day :)
unfortunately the negatives greatly outweigh that.
You are sent all over the city with no "territory" and no gas compensation. As with most commission only jobs you only get paid when you sell and discounting for customers or anyones mistakes come out of your pay. Checks are often incorrect and they jump at the chance to pay you less than you deserve.
You will be made promises that are not kept (benefits, gas compensation) and the blame for issues will be put on you and only you.
You are essentially an independent contractor and it feels like you are owning a small business with little to no support from the office or "team"
The owner may be bipolar, so you never know what response you will get from him.
If/when sales goals are not met, you will be threatened with termination.
Pros
open schedule
Cons
commission, no gas reimbursement, stressful
Fun, exciting place to work
Designer (Former Employee) –  Shirley, MAFebruary 5, 2013
A typical day at work is usually one appointment per day, 12 to 15 per month. I learned how to design, and sell custom storage solutions, as well as manage accounts after installation.

Management was excellent, in the sense that they did whatever they could to help you close the sale, as well as ensure 100% client satisfaction with a quality product.

Co-workers were open to helping however they could, whenever asked, and everyone met at sales meetings once per month, at company headquarters to discuss the previous month.

The hardest part of the job was competing with other companies, as there are many of them in the area. Closets by Design is the best quality, so it is not always the least expensive quote a customer will receive. Customers will also try to compare quotes on a design with another company that is less expensive, not understanding that a more complex design, will cost them more money.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the designs after they are installed, and the excitement from the client.
Pros
dynamic environment that is always changing with new products and designs
Cons
fluctuations in pay and schedule
out of business
General Manager, Sales Staff Trainer (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAApril 30, 2012
out of business due to lack of experience by franchisee. however good potential for someone who has some basic knowledge of industry. Not a very recession proof business, when times get tough business goes away
Pros
out of business
Cons
out of business

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Closets by Design. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3