Cloud Peak Energy Employee Reviews

very cutthroat
Welder/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYOctober 5, 2017
managers act like they are on your team but try to throw you under the bus extremely cutthroat, other than that it is a great company with great benefits
benefits
Cons
management
Great overall company
Supervisor for contractors (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYApril 5, 2017
Cloud Peak Energy was an excellent place to work. The environment was awesome and easy going. The benefits were great for my family. The only reason I left was to move back home for my family.
My experience was unique
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYMarch 31, 2017
The coal industry has been hit hard and many of the people that were in the department are not there now. The benefits are excellent and the pay is outstanding. The hardest part of the job was trying to anticipate what the boss wanted.
Pros
Excellent compensation and benefits
Cons
High turn over
Great company to work for.
Supervisor for contractors (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYMarch 5, 2017
Cloud Peak Energy was overall a great company to work for. I had great benefits for myself and my family. And overall most of the management worked very well with their employees.
Fantastic worl place
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WYJanuary 23, 2017
Completely happy working here in every aspect, I worked 12 hour days, was compensated fairly, great schedule, great benefits, amazing work enviroment.
Great Place for digging coal.
Heavy Mobile Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYSeptember 13, 2016
Quality employees and management, good benefits and working conditions, rotating shifts made for time off in large chunks which made relaxation easy. Had BBQ's for lunch monthly.
Pros
Bonus program
Cons
Long drive from town
Good high paying job
Dragline dozer operator (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WYAugust 8, 2016
Good place to work, pay and benefits are above and beyond for this general area. Good management and the company adapts well for market situations.
Good Company
Employee (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WYJuly 8, 2016
Good company in a tough time. Strong safety culture. Management and peers truly care about others safety. Fiscally responsible organization that gives a lot back to the local communities in which it operates.
Pros
Strong safety culture
Cons
Inflexible in schedule and work-life-balance
Management doesn't know what is going on in the mine itself.
Dragline dozer operator (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYJune 18, 2016
Upper management picks favorites and hires there friends and family. The environment is great and most all of the employees are very friendly and great to work around.
not the company for everyone
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYMay 6, 2016
My experience with CPE, was that they are all about production, and not about the staff. Whether you face a health issue, or family life issue, you need to be as focused on the production of the day to day. Which in most cases works, but when they start sending people home, without pay, due to loss of production, from vendors, it makes it rather tough to enjoy going to work. If you want to advance in the company, you need to be prepared to not have it merited on the work you provide, but rather on how much kissing up to the manager of the company you are willing to do.
Benefits
Cons
working 16 hours a day, management, communication not there with managers
great schedule
Haul Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Douglas, WYApril 25, 2016
great schedule, good people, learn new things, nice people to work with. learned new things, hardest part of job is long days. (18 hr)
Well ran coal mine
Coal Miner (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WYApril 18, 2016
Very well ran coal mine with a lot of very nice and good people. Lots of jobs to learn and improve at.

Learned how to run all kinds of heavy equipment.

Hardest part of the job is working nights and the best part of the job is the great pay.
Pros
great pay and a fun job
Cons
shift work
Review
Truck & Shovel Engineer (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WYApril 15, 2016
Great place to work. The coworkers are great. Challenging and fast paced work environment.hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
Long days, remote locations
Ok to work for
Tire Technician (Current Employee) –  Gillette, WYApril 13, 2016
Not much room to advance. to much of the buddy system! There needs to be more training for advancement. 12 hour work shifts rotating between days and nights.
Pros
good time off
Cons
very top heavy
Ok place to work
Manager, Site Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Decker, MTApril 11, 2016
Good people for the most part. Work long days, compensation is average at best. The CEO is a great person, same with the CFO. Enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Coo
Great people
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYFebruary 8, 2016
A great environment to work in, managers truly care about employees and their aspirations. Many opportunities to grow as a professional through training and development.
Great team
MINING ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYSeptember 28, 2015
While at Cloud Peak, I worked with a great team of people, making it enjoyable to be at work. The work was challenging and varied enough to keep it interesting, yet achievable and rewarding.
Great place to work and great people
Plant Utility Person (Current Employee) –  Antelope, WYAugust 24, 2015
I had a great time working for Cloud Peak Energy. I would still work there if it weren't for my family relocating. I have even made some lifelong friends.
Electrician
Electrical Maintenance Lead (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYJuly 24, 2015
Rotating work schedule was harsh on family life as well as personal health. Pay was good but the management is very much about themselves and throw you under the bus to save there skins. Mining in general is tough work but the work culture made it extremely difficult to even show up regardless of the good pay.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
dying industry bad management
Safe and productive along with great benefits
Haul Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYApril 2, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of awareness, safety and operating for long hours. I learned how to safely operate while continuing to stay safe and provide safety to other people and my surroundings. My co-workers were hard working people who were eager to help me learn and management was always ready to have fun and provide a safe work environment. The hardest part about my job was the long hours sitting and the most enjoyable part about my job was the environment and co-workers.