Coastal Carolina Community College Employee Reviews

Gained a lot of experience and met a lot of nice people
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 12, 2016
I learned a lot working as a receptionist at the college. I learned more about working with students and I was always learning something new about the college. I was glad that I got to meet new people and I really enjoyed working with them. The hardest part of the job was down time when no one came in and I had to keep myself busy.
Great Community College
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 14, 2016
Coastal Carolina offered a full range of literature and comp classes for students from all walks of life. I loved teaching there and the relationships I built with my students.
Pros
parking for instructors, class sizes, and flexible curriculum
Cons
very small space for adjuncts without an office.
Good environment to build leadership and teaching skills
EMS Instructor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCApril 21, 2016
Work days were typically very easy but attention to detail and listening skills were key as those helped to ensure that students were performing medical procedures and applying/administering medications correctly. I thoroughly enjoyed the feeling of success when past students would return to tell us that they had passed their state exam and earned their certification as an EMT. Hardest part of the job was having to tell students that they would no longer be able to continue the class due to failing scores (fail rates were high because students had to maintain an 80% or higher to proceed through the course).I learned listening skills, attention to detail and leadership from this job.
Pros
sense of accomplishment when students are successful
Cons
not enough hours at all
Had fun while also learning
Certified Nursing Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 23, 2015
What I enjoyed most at Coastal Carolina Community College was meeting great people, great teachers and having fun while learning.
Great experience
Assistant Instructor, French (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 14, 2015
I enjoyed working here in the interim. My only regret is that this was not a longer contract as it was a temporary position.
fulfilling learning experience
Work Study - Career Center (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville North CarolinaJune 23, 2015
Work study in the Career Center is a relaxing, yet fast paced environment, that provides me the opportunity to learn the many different ways to find jobs / careers, work with other students, and those in the community to write resumes, cover letters, and help with finding them jobs that fit their skills. It is a rewarding job that I have learned a lot from. My hours are flexible and the career center works around my school schedule. The director, and my co-workers are great people to work with and have helped me learn all my job responsibilities. Over all, I'm very happy and satisfied working for the Coastal Carolina Community College Career Center.
Pros
Flexible hours, friendly co workers
Cons
few hours, minimum pay
Great entry level exposure to college instruction
Information Technology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 18, 2015
A typical work week:
•Training students in computer concepts, internet, i cloud, onedrive, networks, computer troubleshooting, computer security, other technological software and devices.
•The hardest part is working with ESL without the resources to assist the students.
• There are no benefits, lateral means of advancement for adjunct employees or job security.
•The most enjoyable part was providing advanced learning through technology in seated and distance education course platforms.
Pros
Working in college environment, exposed to the process of institutional effectiveness, providing feedback on ways to improve student engagement, worked with latest technology, exposed to mentorship, and instructor professioal development
Cons
No job security, no advancement, no benefits, restrictive curriculum outline
good place to work
Part time instructor for EMT-Basic class (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 15, 2015
I only work part time at Coastal but do truly enjoy my time there. The staff and faculty are generally pleasant to work with.
Great place to work!!!
Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 12, 2015
On a daily basis you will learn a lot just by getting hands on with the equipment. All of my coworkers are great to work with because you can really lean on them if there is something you're not familiar with.
The Students were fun.
Clinical Radiology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 9, 2015
I was not able to work long as an instructor because I started Hygiene school, but the few months that I did work there, it was really fun. The students were always excited about coming to class. They were ready to learn about radiology and how to take the proper x-ray the first time on a patient.
Coastal review
Part-time Fire Fighter I and II instructor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 27, 2015
I am subcontracted by the college to teach adults and young adults the skills needed for firefighting IFSAC certification.
Adjunct teacher are left struggling
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCOctober 16, 2014
I love teaching and my (immediate) boss and coworkers are amazing. However, the community college system just reduced the number of hours that adjunct teachers are allowed to work. Now I am limited to working less than 20 hours a week. Math teacher cannot teach more than 2 classes per semester. Therefore the school has to hire more teachers to cover all of their classes. This leaves more teachers looking for part time work to cover their bills. Unemployment rates look great, but teachers are struggling and education suffers. Adjunct teachers usually work at more than one community college or take a second job in retail or waitressing to cover their bills. Basically, the community college system in North Carolina does not value their teachers.
Pros
teaching is rewarding, great coworkers
Cons
not enough hours, community college systems undervalues teachers
Awesome college to work for
Cosmetology Instructor (Former Employee) –  jacksonville ncSeptember 11, 2014
Top notch education available. Amazing teachers and undeniable ,outstanding lesson plans.
Cons
not enough hours
Not good
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 8, 2014
Coastal Carolina Community College Building and Ground department is not a good place to work. Either they like you are not, if not they will find any and everything to report on you. There who care how hard you work it count for nothing. Your co-worker will stab you in the back the quickest. You have to worry every day about keep your job instead of work. Not a good work environment.
Best Work Environments
Human Services Secretary (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville North CarolinaJune 12, 2014
I loved working at CCCC. I unfortunately had to leave due to a military move, but I will always miss it. I enjoyed helping students and perspective students with financial aid issues and making sure they received the best options for paying for their education. In a large way, this particular position helped me become more familiar with the needs of the community.
Lots of cuts for adjunct faculty
Mathematics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 13, 2014
The treatment of adjuncts here is less than favorable. However, as is at most educational institutions, I found most of my colleagues to be helpful and pleasant. However, due to state regulations, adjuncts will be losing many, many hours and pay.
productive and stimulating work environment
GED INSTRUCTOR/WRITTEN&ORAL COMM INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 24, 2014
If I still lived in NC I would still work there. Amazing people and environment.
Good group of people
Adjunct Instructor (School of Business) (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 6, 2014
The people who work at Coastal have a love for the students. The students are considered to be nontraditional which includes military and family members.
great college
Student (Former Employee) –  JacksonvilleJanuary 16, 2014
Love the small classes, teachers were very helpful too.what else do you want me to write aboutl. this is getting fustrating to fill out this resume on the website. eh
Pros
has alot to offer
Cons
need more online courses
Best Job I've Ever Had
Activities/Intramural Director/Admission Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, North CarolinaJune 22, 2013
I was the intramural director for 3 years. My dad consisted of giving sporting equipment to students and organizing sports such as volleyball, flag football, aerobics, ping pong tournaments, tennis tournaments, softball tournaments, road races, bike races, and many more extracurricular activities to meet the needs of the students at Coastal Carolina College. I was the only Intramural Director at the college so the Dean of Students was my immmediate boss. I turned in monthly participation sheets to the Dean to measure success and participation. I loved the population of students and the population of which they were attending school. A military base.
Pros
many participants from all over the country.
Cons
alot of planning. poor participation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coastal Carolina Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3