Cobham Employee Reviews

Worst company I have ever worked for!
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 24, 2017
I was hired as an engineering technician for development of their KC-46 refueling hose reel system. Half the time we were standing around with nothing to do waiting on answers from engineers on issues we had for days at a time. There is so much lack of communication between what goes on with engineering and out on the production floor it's not even funny. Management is so profit driven and money hungry you are expected to be slave driven. A lot of assembly people are expected to work Saturdays and Sundays every week when busy schedules hit. This is definitely not a place I would remotely suggest anyone apply at or work for.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Upper management, lack of communication
Good site, bad upper management
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 12, 2016
The San Jose site is a good work place to work. The people are friendly and the management is great. The problem is that corporate management is clueless. The San Jose site is one of the few sites that makes money and retains highly skilled people, but all sites are given the same raises of 1% and high performers getting 2% (only 5 to 10% can be listed as high performers). Also the benefits are being cut so that to get basic health benefits will cost over $400 a month, with a $5,000 deductible.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Pay, Benefits and Work/Life Balance
Great place to work, family environment.
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Prescott, AZAugust 29, 2016
I love working for this company. I've had a chance to start as part time & went to full time. Great experience. Looking for a little more.
Pros
family environment
Cons
no raises
Recently sold
Manufacturing Technician III (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 23, 2016
I enjoyed working for this employer while in the beginning when it was Aeroflex. The lower level management hasn't changed and they are a fine group. I had great coworkers who I still keep in touch with. Working on the night shift I had little to no contact with engineers, office people and upper level management so I can't really give an impression of them. When the company was Aeroflex there hadn't been any layoffs for at least eight years. Shortly after Cobham purchased the company I was part of a large layoff. My biggest beef, though, is how it was almost impossible to advance. Opportunities for promotion were rare and when there was one there were about fifty people applying for it.
Good place to work.
Production Assembler (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAAugust 26, 2016
I would like to work back there. Doing many productions. They managed very poor management. Mismanagement with budget.
Limited communications in teams. Too much time with computer work- BOM, Designs, Blueprints, Database.Waste time with computers.
Pros
Many perks. Every month employee meetings provided with free lunch.
Cons
Productions are unstable.Sometimes very stressfull. Then been fast down.
A company with a poor future and no moral compass
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 31, 2016
Poor management, lack of training for all levels of employees, communication is non existent, good engineers are few and far between. A company that only focuses on being awarded contracts to gain trust from its investors without thinking about having to build an actual conforming product. Just an awful place to work no matter what position you hold. If considering applying do your research and don't just let the competitive pay lure you in.
Pros
Cons
Employment for cobham
Liked my work and would still be there if they didn't close facility.
Technical Associate V (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAMay 23, 2016
Work was interesting and challenging . Beside many technical skills acquired . I found that developing a team work philosophy was important in being successful at job. Thought the management that i
worked with was realistic and helpful to me in meeting my job responsibilities. The people i worked with were hard working and goal oriented but were always helpful when dealing with problems that i might have with product . As most people who have to meet a shipping schedule know ,i found that to be the toughest part of the job . Always felt good when i meet those shipping commitments .
Very productive work environment, fun co-workers
Test Technician assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 25, 2015
Being a test technician for Cobham was quite enjoyable and a nice experience. Lots of people to talk to while working not to mention very supportive. The people I worked took time to teach me some techniques to be more efficient at my job.
Pros
Co-workers, Pay, Benefits, Annual Christmas Party
Cons
Requires DOD clearance to do higher tier of work.
Corruption everywhere you look
Cost Estimator II (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAAugust 7, 2014
I was lied to in the interview about what the job would require. I was not challenged and requested something more challenging or even the decision making requirements that I was told would be a part of the job in the interview. Management listened to my concerns and was appreciative of my dedication yet nothing was ever done. Others had serious complaints and again, management did nothing. As soon as a concern is raised, a target is now placed on your back and management will make your life miserable.

They have non-compliant charging of actuals to projects, put made up numbers in government proposals to try and cover costs that they have overrun. If you want to sleep at night, this place is not for you!
good place to start on aviation
Sheet Metal Mechanic/ Lead (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 25, 2016
very flexible with new personnel, lets you learn the job on your own pace...
workforce is fun to work with, even thought management was very new with the project i was assigned to work, they were willing to listen and provide us with assistance and help to.
Very proactive and helpful quality control personnel.
Pros
teamwork enviroment
Cons
location on the midwest, very cold....
not good in advancement
Assembler, MIC II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 28, 2013
Work is easy and can learn fast. The management is not fair for evaluating progress for individual skills always has a favoritism when it comes with raise and promotion. So, it's not what you can do and what you know. It's whom you know or if you have a connection, then you can have a fast promotion and the money is good. co-workers are fun to work with. the hardest part of the job is dealing with people that like to turn you down when they think you're a threat to them because your smarter than them, they most likely to get rid of you to keep the're job. Is job security issues. learning new things, exercise and apply it to work.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not good as a career.
Unstable with no security
Cost Accountant (Former Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLOctober 19, 2015
Would be cautious to come work there. Company changes direction very often and therefore, layoffs are common. Management is NOT in rythm and strategy is often an after thought.
benefits
Cons
instability, uncertainty
Friendly environment
R&D Engineer and System Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 9, 2014
- My typical day at work is designing new PCA, harness, cable or release documents for production.
- I have learned how to use new devices all the time, and then I have to integrate to our system.
- I am working in multi-culture environments, but they are very friendly.
- The management is about fair.
- The hardest part is spending too much overtime to complete project on time.
- The most enjoyable part of the job is when I see new product that is launching.
Pros
Great benefits and flexible time
Cons
Too much overtime
Disappointed in senior-level managers
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 6, 2014
continuous high employee turnover (even in a poor economy) due to dis-satisfaction and frustration with senior management
excessive meddling by UK senior execs results in poor direction, mis-management, and lack of decision making
no promotion potential - Davenport has demonstrated numerous times that they will not promote talented insiders to director-level positions
Pros
good pay and very good benefits
Cons
poor management at director level & above
Good co workers
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 8, 2015
feast or famine either hunting for to fill 40hr work week or lost of OT if they don't get the OT hrs voluntarily they go to scheduled OT
Pros
benefits co workers
Cons
management not that great
Constant stress
Technical (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 22, 2014
Employees constantly under stress to meet unrealistic deadlines; lack of training or direction to new employees; excessive turnover; money spent on "feel good" projects rather than new employee training; too many levels of management. Decent benefits.
Pros
Free parking, oh boy
Cons
Extreme and constant stress, job/life balance unacceptable, used to be a nice place to work but now it's just based on more and faster production, even if it's wrong.

Comment – December 11, 2015

Update - this company has continued its trend of high stress, too many levels of management, too many unnecessary changes to its SOF, and a lack of commitment to its legacy workers. Employees continue to be treated as disposable and employee turnover continues to be high. New employees lack basic training for the jobs for which they are hired. Legacy employees are disrespected. Management lacks understanding of the basic principles for FAA projects. New management-level hires from outside the company contribute to a diminishing knowledge base. Overall, the company needs to listen to the concerns of its employees. Frequent surveys are conducted, but the results are ignored.

Defined my job description and had great management
Engineering Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Lansdale, PAJanuary 25, 2016
I learned to work with a UK based company and UK management. I spent time at various UK facilities interviewing Engineering VPs regarding Product Development approaches.

I worked with to other senior Engineering Program Managers in the IMO unit to develop a training program for Aeroflex locations as a step in unifying into the Cobham product development framework.

We were at various Aeroflex locations throughout 2015 and to date preforming training sessions with the engineering staffs.

Excellent independent work schedules with no oversight except weekly phone and status via email with IMO Engineering VP.
Pros
Great latitude in developing project/program
Cons
Worked remote and traveled every week to training locations in US
Cobham was one of the most unproffetion companies that I worked for
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 15, 2016
Cobham has great products, but the y didn't have the right team at my site togrow the company. I believe they have a long way to go before it gets better.
One of the best jobs I've had.
Assembler 1 (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IADecember 28, 2014
Working at Cobham is borderline repetitive but benefits are top notch.
Management seems to do well most of the time but really enjoys seeing schedules met or exceeded.
Pros
Benefits and bonus free lunches.
Cons
Occasional overtime.
good workplace for direct employees
Mechanical Design/Drafter (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IANovember 19, 2013
I was a contractor for only 3 months.
What I can tell is it seems to be a good company to work for as from what I heard of the benefits where competitive, and they had extra curriculum activities to keep up good moral for the employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cobham. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4