Cocoon House Employee Reviews

Fun and meaningful place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAJanuary 25, 2018
Cocoon House has a great mission and great programs. I’ve loved having a collaborative and supportive team of coworkers. I’ve been encouraged to have a good work-life balance. I’m impressed by Cocoon House’s willingness to try new things to best serve the youth. Many of the youth served at Cocoon House have many challenges and have experienced much trauma, but are also fun, smart and engaging. The work is meaningful and the impact is immense.
Pros
Supportive work environment, Pto
Cons
Pay similar to other nonprofits
Great organization to gain experience
RAPID REHOUSING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJanuary 23, 2018
I love Cocoon House; I'm glad I've moved on, but I am thankful for all I learned while I was there. The folks at the Executive level are great people who are committed to their community and understand the bigger picture of running an organization. They make themselves available to staff at all levels of the organization and will take the time to help you gain the skills and experiences to advance in your field, even if it's not at Cocoon House.
It's a relatively small organization so advancement in-house can require a great deal of patience and persistence, but they do try to reward their employees in a multitude of ways, including PTO, work parties and overall culture. Plus your doing great things in the community for an agency with a great mission and vision.
It can be challenging to maintain great relationships with all staff members at times, but it's important to remember that everyone there has good intentions and are doing the best they can to serve youth who are-or have-experienced very difficult times. Therefore, though you may not always like your coworkers, you can always respect them.
Pros
Experience, Leadership, Pto, Culture, Flexibility
Great cover, no story
Staff (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJanuary 6, 2018
Cocoon House is a much needed service that fails its core employees and mission continuously due to a lack of reporting outcomes and ability to manage programs effectively. The pay disparity between administration and floor staff is abysmal. They rely on burning out good staff and knowing they are the only youth energency homelessness services in Everett. They don’t track outcomes or hold themselves accountable to the community but are excellent at selling the agency at fundraising events. Staff retention is a barrier to client success. Outside contractors struggle to have Cocoon House design and implement strength based best practices to meet the client’s needs.
Professionals who has worked in other programs or cities in the Northwest recognize that Cocoon House exists only because of the enormous poverty and chemical dependency barriers in Snohomish County, not because they deserve the grants they receive, but because there is no other agency to compete. It will make you feel good to work there for a year or two if you are a younger person looking to get started in social work.
You’ll learn to forgive yourself after you leave.
They are great at raising money.
Pros
No one cares what you do
Cons
No consistency
Interesting environment for providing direct services to high risk population
Not disclosed (Former Employee) –  Everett, WANovember 6, 2017
Management was somewhat scattered in its approach. Family/life balance was nearly impossible. Regular expectation to stay beyond 40 hours per week. Duties were routinely changed without explanation or accommodation.

Providing direct services to the youth was a highlight though and a great reason to join the organization. Were I given another opportunity I would turn down the position and instead find a way to volunteer.
Pros
On bus route
Cons
Management style, schedules, changing goals, limited growth
Professionals Committed to Serving Homeless Youth
Administrative Assistant Capital Campaign (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAOctober 25, 2017
Leadership has a strong vision for the organization and does an exceptional job of communicating with staff.

Excellent job of onboarding new employees and acclimating them to the culture of the organization. Monthly staff meetings are informative and build relationships.

Collegues are supportive, very willing to help each other.
Pros
Morale Support
Cons
Multiple locations disrupts communication
Great place for compassionate individuals
Staff (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAJune 8, 2017
Cocoon House has a variety of programs and populations. The culture is a little different in each department. There's a focus on continual improvement and lots of opportunity for employee input. The agency tries to promote from within. Flexibility and a good work ethic are huge assets. Youth needs are not always predictable and the work can be emotionally draining. That said, the successes (big and small) and the joyous times with coworkers make it worth it.
Pros
Youth-focused, warm staff and management, fun placeto work, lots of PTO
Cons
Pay is what you expect for non-profit
True Resource for Vulnerable Youth
Housing Manager (Current Employee) –  ArlingtonNovember 9, 2016
Cocoon House provides Street Outreach, Housing, and Homeless Prevention Services to youth who are runaway, foster youth, or those who are being forced out of home. The people who thrive here really care about being a nurturing presence to youth who have multiple traumas. Staff are encouraged to use their own passions, be they in education, music, art, cooking, etc., to connect with youth and provide them opportunities to grow into well rounded young adults. Co-workers are enthusiastic, have a good sense of humor, and want to be part of a community. Shifts vary from enjoyable to stressful, but Cocoon House offers a lot of PTO and encourages self-care. Many staff use the Wellspring benefits. Open to people who are creative dressers, tatooed, "been there" and may not want to be in a corporate work setting. A place to learn and grow in service to vulnerable kids in our county.
Pros
Several locations (Monroe, Arlington, Everett), Multiple ongoing education opportunities, Staff are given a lot of rein to create programming and come up with solutions to problems, Cocoon House is well-regarded in Sno County and beyond, Welcoming to GLBTQ, Poc, and people who have immigrated to the US
Cons
Most opportunities for advancement depend on having at least Bachelor's degree
Total Joke
On Call (Former Employee) –  Everett, WASeptember 30, 2016
Poor treatment of employees who are faced with dealing with youth who are there because they do not think they have to follow the rules at home. No support from staff who will hang you out to dry when one of the youth lie about you. They will bully you into working for them and file a false CPS report on you on a whim.
Well intentioned Non Profit.
Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAApril 24, 2016
Cocoon House provides a great service to youth and the community in Snohomish County. Attended useful training's, worked alongside some of the best and brightest, and genuinely loved this place!

Upper management very progressive and proactive to serve the youth and community. Not much opportunity for advancement, high turnover in lower paying positions, and the typical random bad apple. Would recommend anyone to apply to this agency, great experience and great people.
Pros
low paying, inept dept director
Cons
great cause, unique and fun atmosphere, hands on ceo and upper management, great people
Great Place to Work
Advocate for Homeless & At-Risk Youth (Current Employee) –  Everett, WADecember 15, 2015
Amazing co-workers and great atmosphere. Since I am very passionate about working with this population I enjoy my job. I think the best part of my job is my involvement with Denney Youth Juvenile Justice Center and the youth incarcerated there. I enjoy the court process and being court support for my youth. The hardest part of my job is making everyone a priority. With 30 youth in my caseload it can, at times, be challenging to make each of them my first priority.
Pros
Mobile Case Managment and Outreach to get out of the office
Cons
Pay
Worked with solid caring staff
Support Staff/Arts & Enrichment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Everett, WASeptember 12, 2013
Monitored daily youth activities, learning about the teen culture. Reality about what these kids went through was tough to learn, but was able to enjoy their successes through the program.
Pros
Meals were provided
Cons
solid work schedule, took breaks when we could squeez them in
Very understanding and fun team
U-Turn Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Everett WaJuly 29, 2013
I have always felt supported in my position and love the atmospere
Fun work place
Prep-Cook- Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAMarch 13, 2013
I liked helping out the cocoon house and becoming the house's cook. I didnt really learn alot consitering I am used to cooking for people alot. The hardest part was trying to keep everyone out of the kitchen when I was cooking, although it was enjoyable making people happy.
Nice workshops for staff on a monthly basis
Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAMay 23, 2012
A number of people I use to work with are nolonger there, however the overnight shift workers are GREAT!!! If management likes YOU, you will be promoted without any problems, if not you will get excuses. Job security is not based on merit, and some of the best workers don't get credit.
Pros
small
Cons
clique
Promote from within, serving all aspects of homelessness
Director of Outreach Programs (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAMay 17, 2012
I have been with the agency nearly 6 years. I have seen transitions within the agency to better serve our agencies mission. Cocoon House does serve truly homeless to at-risk youth and Prevention programs to support families. Cocoon House focuses on our agencies mission to serve vs. that of individual staff driving the direction, because of this Cocoon House provides service to youth on the streets through Street Outreach/Advocates & U-Turn low barrier street level drop-in. Emergency Shelter in 3 areas of our county and Transitional Housing for long term housing. Cocoon House values their staff and prove that by promoting staff from within and consistanly offers room for staff development. The salary scale from front line staff up to the executive levels all falls within the upper levels of standards for this scope of work. Cocoon House is a strong passionate agency that stays mission driven and employee valued.
Pros
mission driven, staff valued and developed
Cons
need for expantion of infrastructure
Missrepresented to the community and its clientele
Teen Advocate (Former Employee)October 12, 2011
This agency claims to be youth driven concentrating on the extremely at risk, but the reality is that their primary clientele are much higher functioning youth. They focus is on grant number rather than the youth. The leadership frowns upon any questioning of decisions made by them. The good thing about the agency is that it tries to keep the staff excited about their jobs by holding a lot of team building workshops and by sending employees to trainings.