Cogent Communications

Cogent Communications Employee Reviews

hard to succeed
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 14, 2014
Work environment was depressing. Cold dark office with ants crawling on your desk. If you find an opportunity and they want to buy into a Data Center and you're only a level 1 RAM expect to hand over that opportunity to a higher level RAM and expect to NOT get paid on it. Also, I went through 2 different sales managers at the time I was there. I felt that I didn't have enough support or stability at that company to be successful- not to mention how your limited to a certain product set depending on what level you are. As soon as I got there all I heard from the different RAM's was how they disliked it there. Just a very bad experience at the time I was there in 2008 to 2009.
Pros
peers
Cons
sales compensation structure, what you can and cannot sell
Build and establish relationships with C-level executives and CEO¡Solicit clients through direct calling, email, lobby events and face to face present
National Account Manger (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 10, 2014
Territory Consist of the Entire North America including Canada , Solicit High quality Internet, Ethernet and collocation services to Enterprise Clients ,Successfully Manage 175 Enterprise Accounts and Major Accounts Covering North America Territory , Build and establish relationships with C-level executives and CEO,Solicit clients through direct calling, email, lobby events and face to face presentations to generate new business opportunities by working directly with Key Decision Makers , Analyze market trends by staying up to date with competitors
Not the most desirable position for a previously Outside Sales pro.
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 19, 2012
The people who work at Cogent are great (including management), the huge downfall is that I get they expect you to be 100% in it all day when that will never happen. I understand they are paying us, but I kinda felt like a child as Account Managers would get yelled at for being in Gmail or texting once in a while. The product (while superior) isn't exactly the most exciting product to sell and it's possible to make money there, just not very consistant. It seemed under 15% of the sales force of near 400 hit quota.
Pros
free drinks (coffee, water, sodas) and all benefits.
Cons
short breaks (enforced), just ok healthcare and parking was a nightmare or you pay $60/mo (culver city office).
Good job to start with for entry level sales
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 10, 2013
The job consists of cold calling and propecting all day. Not much of outside sales but more of consistent calliing, emailing and nagging your current customers to upgrade their services. The company does not invest in any advertising nor do they care about how to market their services. All in all the job is not bad to get your foot into the door when it comes to sales. The pay is not too bad but the benefits could be better. My experience at Cogent was not bad but was not great due to new management change every other month.
Pros
salary not bad
Cons
job is more like telemarketing not outside sales
Good company to work for, tough sales environment
IT Consultation (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAFebruary 26, 2014
Cogent takes care of its employees better than most but it still falls short in some areas. While they do make the effort to produce a positive culture, they do a poor job of setting their employees up for success. There is also a sense that you're only as good as the numbers you put up. It can be very black and white. Even if you've had 6 straight good months, 1 bad month can get you in trouble. In my opinion, it's not the way to inspire people to take ownership of the company and their careers.
Pros
free sodas, coffee, tea and monthly lunches
Cons
black and white sales enviro
Cogent Communications is a great company and i learned a lot from the organization.
Customer Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 15, 2012
Assisting customers in turning up and troubleshooting their network related problems.
I've learned a lot in managing and supporting customers. I believe in team work and my co-workers are people who are always willing to assist one another.
The most difficult thing with my job is that you do not know what's coming next.
I enjoy helping customers and making sure that their network problems are resolved
Pros
the working environment is conducive to learning new skills
Cons
there is no motivating incentives
Overall a poor place to work.
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 2, 2015
CEO is extremely intelligent but doesn't see the bigger picture and doesn't want to give up some of the capital to make Cogent the Best in the industry. They rather have telemarketers than have true Sales people out in the field. I would not recommend working for them and it was hostile when I was there. There product is superior but doesn't make up for the inability to management their employees. I hope and wish them the best in the future.
Pros
The product set is superior.
Cons
CEO and middle management is terrible to work with.
Revolving Door
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 1, 2012
Prepare to spend long hours on the phone, even though you are an outside rep. If you are not use to vulgar language and misogynistic attitude towards women this is not the place to work. Career advancement is a joke. Sometimes Sales Managers are left in the dark as to what is going on.
Pros
free pop in the fridge and monthly lunch.
Cons
vulgar language, lack of career advancement, and negative work environment.
Great Experience, Excellent Training
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 7, 2013
I was very happy with my employment at Cogent, we were flown to DC for an extremely through training were we learned how to p[prospect many different ways I had not been accustomed to.

The Sales Cycle was extremely long and Middle management became the name of the game so we parted ways after almost a year.
Pros
great training, free soft drinks and coffee
Cons
middle management
"Hunter mentality" Entry Level Sales Position
Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 5, 2012
Roll call every morning at 8:30AM on the dot. Cannot leave before 5:30PM on the dot unless you are taking half day. Access to your own computer and phone, business cards are given out. Up to you to prospect for new leads, while managing current customer accounts.
Pros
free lunch last day of month, free sodas, drinks 24/7
Cons
micro-managed 100%
Fun people, not the greatest product, high turnover
Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2012
Working at this company was a good entry level job. You can learn a lot about the sales process and ways to apply what you learn to other sales jobs. The environment is very micromanaged and people are not encouraged to grow their knowledge because of the monotonous work and the growth with the company is hard.
Overall positive job environment
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 23, 2014
*Fast paced and very competitive work environment
*Open to new ideas and effective management
*Very international work environment
*Meeting the monthly closing deadlines are the hardest part of job
*To learn and implement new software applications which makes your routine job effective and time saving are very rewarding
Free coffer, tea and sodas
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2014
Company has the potential to be decent, it all depends on your manager and department. Morale is non existent and so are raises or any growth potential. Management needs to be reorganized immediately. HR is a one man joke!
Pros
none that out way the cons
Cons
inexperienced managers and low pay
Stay Away
REGIONAL ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 8, 2013
This place is very difficult to succeed at. It seems that their product is so overpriced and run of the mill... if this was 2003 it might be plausible, but this is 2013.

Keep on looking.

Plus, we went through 5 mangers in 8 months and they fired me one week before Christmas. Pretty lame.
Brand new systems designed inhouse.
Rockville MD (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAOctober 22, 2013
Great people and great company to work for. We were a contracting company. The contract was good while it lasted. Lot's of changes in shift work.
Pros
new technology to learn along with the aix support.
Cons
shift work was very variable. you could not get a set schedule.
kind of like a call center, until you get through to the right people.
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJune 14, 2013
its a very intense place. Sometimes we would get yelled at and were micromanaged.
Pros
great director while i was there and the ceo is great.
Cons
dark dank room like calling center. my immediate manager was intense
Unrealistic expectations
Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2014
All I will say is the job functions and performance expectations are unrealistic. Also limited support from upper management.
Pros
great solutions to sell in the market for it
Cons
job functions and performance expectations are unrealistic.
High Speed work environment. Perfect for those who like to work hard and play hard.
Regional Account Manger I (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAApril 29, 2015
You will make 100 cold calls a day that are generated by self research.

Turn over is extremely high, but high rewards for those who are able to meet quota on a regular basis.
Very high turnover
Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 7, 2014
My local manager was excellent, but the company is a difficult place to work since the sales structure is set up like a telemarketing office and the company has extremely high turnover in the sales staff.
Good place to learn telecommunication
Regional Account Manager, B2B Internet Sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2014
Great base pay for 1 year experience new-bees. Trip tp DC for training and annual sales kick off trip paid for. Alot of micromanagement--but pay offsets it. Not bad.