Please review application requirements carefully - incomplete applications will not be considered.
We are immediately seeking an exceptional individual who lives and breathes for manipulating large datasets in Excel and thrives on improving processes. We are looking to grow our Digital Library (http://www.universityreaders.com/library) and need a Data Analyst to help build out our online library collection. The ideal candidate possesses a drive for organizing large datasets, creating efficient data analysis processes and seeking new solutions to improve data processing. This will be an ideal opportunity for someone who is looking to provide expertise in data process management, including data analysis and quality review, content import and metadata management; while collaborating closely with technology, sales, and marketing teams to expand and enhance the content in our digital library. The position is Part-Time with flexibility on scheduling and number of hours available.
We’re working on some exciting, transformative projects this year that will both revolutionize the academic publishing space and save students money. So, if you live for data and have always wanted to be part of a tight entrepreneurial team, this might be your chance. Students with advanced Excel skills are encouraged to apply.
- Required: Extremely strong Excel and Acrobat skills--you live and breathe for new macros and automation tricks to increase efficiency
- Required: Advanced level skills using tools like text editors and command line interfaces to manipulate files, and edit scripts in XML records
- BA/BS in technology or business field preferred
- 2+ years experience working with Excel, with a clear passion for technology and the desire to expand your knowledge is a must
- Ability to use and manipulate data to glean insights building Excel formulas, functions, macros and pivot tables
- Strong organization and time management skills, ability to problem solve and come up with new solutions
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication, strong interpersonal skills
- Understanding of metadata standards such as Dublin Core, EAD, MODS, METS or ONIX a plus
- Growing the Digital Library: prepare and coordinate the import of book chapters, journal articles, and business cases into the Digital Library, including metadata preparation, selection extraction, and digital inventory management.
- Improving Data Quality: identify and correct data quality issues to assure validity and quality of data before importing it into the online library. Create and run reports to identify inconsistencies and correct, exclude or highlight suspect data. Develop procedures to clean, recode, and import multiple data files.
- Improving Data Management Processes: Simplify complicated data management tasks for ease of daily use to provide more robust data analysis. Assess technology and make recommendations to streamline the data import process.
Start Date: Immediate
Status: Part-Time, Hourly (20-30 hours per week)
Reports To: Senior Marketing Manager
Location: This position is based out of our corporate office located in the Sorrento Valley area of San Diego, California. Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Compensation: $16.00 - $18.00 per hour DOE
If you'd like to be considered for this role, please submit the following items:
- Cover Letter.
- Recent compensation history.
All submissions will be held in confidence.
Cognella® is redefining academic publishing by providing teacher-driven, student-centric higher education course materials in print and digital formats under two imprints: Cognella® Academic Publishing (www.cognella.com) and University Readers® (www.universityreaders.com). Cognella enables professors to design and tailor educational materials to specific courses and learning objectives, while controlling their own choice of content. This unique approach has made Cognella a trusted source for more than 4,000 instructors and 125,000 students annually at over 650 colleges and universities across the US and Canada. Cognella has approximately 70 employees and is headquartered in San Diego.
Cognella, Inc. - An Equal Opportunity Employer
Recruiters, please do not contact this job post.