We are immediately seeking an exceptional individual to fill a critical Digital Librarian role on our team. The ideal candidate possesses a natural talent for organizing information, the tenacity required for academic reference, the technical savvy to prepare and import large datasets, and the ability and enthusiasm to independently improve the experience in our digital library. This is an amazing opportunity for someone who is looking to grow in their career, apply their technical expertise, and make a role their own. In this position, you will own all aspects of our company’s Digital Library (http://www.universityreaders.com/library), including content import and metadata management, data analysis and processing, virtual reference services, project management and publisher communication, improvements to the professor experience, and collaborating closely with technology, sales, and marketing teams to promote and enhance the use of the library with our professor clients.
We’re working on some exciting, transformative projects this year that will both revolutionize the academic publishing space and save students money. Cognella offers all of our team members a stimulating and entrepreneurial work environment, great colleagues, and the opportunity to shape their positions. So, if you have a “fire-in-your-belly” to succeed, have a great attitude, and have always wanted to be part of a tight entrepreneurial team, this is your chance to join our company and help make a difference.
- Growing the Digital Library: prepare and coordinate the import of thousands of book chapters, journal articles, and business cases into the Digital Library, including prioritization of content loading, metadata preparation, selection extraction, and digital inventory management
- Reference Service: recommend high quality, relevant readings to professors who require librarian expertise; provide one-on-one instructional assistance to users
- Project Management: coordinate multiple ongoing collection projects across several teams; accurately plan and communicate milestones to technology, marketing, and acquisitions
- User Experience Management: collaborate with the technology group to identify improvements to various library features and functions, including search and navigation, discoverability, previewing materials, and reading lists
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program; expertise in digital libraries, information architecture, or library systems preferred
- 3+ years experience in a library or information management role
- Experience delivering reference services to a wide variety of patrons
- Incredible organizational habits; highly-polished writing and speaking skills; marketing savvy; ability to use and manipulate data to glean insights into content use and information trends
- Extremely strong Excel and Acrobat skills--you live and breathe for new macros and automation tricks to increase efficiency
- Thorough understanding of metadata standards such as Dublin Core, EAD, MODS, METS or ONIX
- Proven record developing and improving processes to create efficiency
- Comfortable using tools like text editors and command line interfaces to manipulate files, and occasionally edit scripts and XML records
- Experience with digital library systems (ContentDM, Greenstone, DSpace, etc.), and/or enterprise document management systems (Nuxeo, Alfresco, Sharepoint, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to calculate costs and time investment on a variety of short to medium-term projects
Start Date: Immediate
Status: Full-Time, Exempt (40+ hours per week)
Reports To: Senior Marketing Manager
Location: This position is based out of our corporate office located in the Sorrento Valley area of San Diego, California. Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Compensation: Competitive salary, with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package (health, vision, dental, generous vacation, holiday, and sick time, and 401K matching plan).
If you'd like to be considered for this position, please submit the following items:
- Cover Letter
- Recent compensation history
Cognella® is redefining academic publishing by providing teacher-driven, student-centric higher education course materials in print and digital formats under two imprints: Cognella® Academic Publishing (www.cognella.com) and University Readers® (www.universityreaders.com). Cognella enables professors to design and tailor educational materials to specific courses and learning objectives, while controlling their own choice of content. This unique approach has made Cognella a trusted source for more than 4,000 instructors and 125,000 students annually at over 650 colleges and universities across the US and Canada. Cognella has approximately 70 employees and is headquartered in San Diego.
Cognella, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer
Recruiters, please do not contact this job post
Indeed - 17 months ago
Cognella offers all of our team members a stimulating and entrepreneurial work environment with great colleagues, and the opportunity to...