Note: Cognella is also seeking to build a small pool of Reference Librarians for special consulting projects working with university faculty. Please apply and mention whether you have any interest in a part-time, project-based consulting role.
We are immediately seeking an exceptional individual to fill a critical Digital Librarian role on our team. The ideal candidate possesses a natural talent for organizing information, the tenacity required for academic reference, and the ability and enthusiasm to independently improve the experience in our digital library. This is an amazing opportunity for someone who is looking to grow in their career and make a role their own. In this position, you will own all aspects of the our company’s Digital Library (http://www.universityreaders.com/library), including content import and metadata management, virtual reference services, project management and publisher communication, improvements to the professor experience, and collaborating closely with technology, sales, and marketing teams to promote and enhance the use of the library by our professor clients.
We’re working on some exciting, transformative projects this year that will both revolutionize the academic publishing space and save students money. So, if you have a “fire-in-your-belly” to innovate and have always wanted to be part of a tight entrepreneurial team, this might be your chance. There’s room to grow and blossom in this position.
- Growing the Digital Library: prepare and coordinate the import of book chapters, journal articles, and business cases into the Digital Library, including metadata preparation, selection extraction, and digital inventory management.
- Reference Service: recommend high quality, relevant readings to professors who require librarian expertise; provide one-on-one instructional assistance to users.
- Project Management: coordinate multiple ongoing collection projects across several teams; accurately plan and communicate milestones to technology, marketing, and acquisitions.
- User Experience Management: collaborate with the technology group to identify improvements to various library features and functions, including search and navigation, discoverability, previewing materials, and reading lists.
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program; expertise in digital libraries, information architecture, or library systems preferred.
- 3+ years experience in a library or information management role.
- Experience delivering reference services to a wide variety of patrons.
- Incredible organizational habits; highly-polished writing and speaking skills; marketing savvy; ability to use and manipulate data to glean insights into content use and information trends.
- Thorough understanding of metadata standards such as Dublin Core, EAD, MODS, METS or ONIX.
- Extremely strong Excel and Acrobat skills--you live and breathe for new macros and automation tricks to increase efficiency.
- Comfortable using tools like text editors and command line interfaces to manipulate files, and occasionally edit scripts and XML records.
- Experience with digital library systems (ContentDM, Greenstone, DSpace, etc.), and/or enterprise document management systems (Nuxeo, Alfresco, Sharepoint, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to calculate costs and time investment on a variety of short to medium-term projects.
Cognella offers all of our team members a stimulating and entrepreneurial work environment in Sorrento Valley, great colleagues, and the opportunity to shape their position. If you've ever wanted to be part of a growing entrepreneurial business, this is your chance to really make a difference.
Reports to: Senior Marketing Manager
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Start Date: Immediate
Location: This position is based out of our corporate office located in the Sorrento Valley area of San Diego, California. Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Compensation: Competitive salary and stock options. Cognella also provides a comprehensive and competitive benefits package (health, vision, dental, generous vacation, holiday, and sick time, and 401K matching plan).
For consideration, please submit cover letter, resume, and recent compensation history. All submissions will be held in confidence.
Recruiters, please do not contact this job post.
Cognella, Inc. is a leading provider of personalized higher-education publishing solutions, operating Web properties and services under two brands: Cognella Academic Publishing (www.cognella.com) and University Readers (www.universityreaders.com). We enable professors to control their choice of content, allowing them to design and tailor course materials to specific courses and learning objectives. Our unique approach has enabled us to become a trusted source for more than 4,000 instructors and 125,000 students annually at over 600 colleges and universities nationwide. Cognella has approximately 70 employees and is headquartered in San Diego.
Cognella, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer