We are immediately seeking a hands-on, production-minded individual to join our team as a Digital Project Coordinator. The ideal candidate most likely comes from the printing or reprographics industry, in a back-end digital document or file processing supervisory position. In this role, the Digital Project Coordinator oversees document publishing processes for our University Readers custom imprint, making sure that thousands of custom projects (course packs) annually are properly prioritized, digitally assembled and enhanced, and ready for print: enters jobs/orders in database, creates template covers, assembles table of contents, scans readings, enhances images and text files, and conducts final quality control.
This is not a printing production or creative graphic design role, but rather a publishing production role that ensures our course pack files and documents are ready for print and digital distribution. During our non-peak periods, the Digital Project Coordinator serves in a specialist capacity, personally managing the workload on his/her own. During our peak periods, the Digital Project Coordinator staffs and supervises a small seasonal team (3-5 assistants).
The ideal candidate is also responsible for the entire production workflow, ensuring that the process is clean, easy to follow, and properly optimized. This position is an integral part of the company having a high impact on client satisfaction and on-time, final production of thousands of custom published projects annually, which directly impact the overall success of the company.
- Production Process Management
a) Manage process from the receipt of materials to finalization.
b) Maintain regular and clear communication with teammates, management team, and vendors.
c) Directly build and manage a variety of publishing projects from beginning to end.
d) Organize and manage projects to be built by Production Assistants.
e) Complete quality assurance checks and manage deadlines for a variety of projects.
f) Ensure accuracy of project information in all databases.
- Hiring, Training, Supervision of production team
a) Recruiting, training, supervising and evaluating seasonal staff.
b) Drafting effective training materials to ensure strong staff development and performance.
c) Responsible for the control of staffing budgets and proper shift scheduling.
d) Coaching and correction, both as a group and individually, to improve the team’s skills and abilities
- Create and run daily and weekly reports to view and be aware of the production queue in all stages, along with staff efficiency metrics such as hourly throughput and hours worked.
- Process improvement, including working directly with IT to provide technology support for team, and researching new technology and tools to increase effectiveness, productivity, and production quality.
- Vendor relations with our printers and support services.
- Liaison with technology department to manage CRM infrastructure and workflow improvements, digital enhancements, and other related improvements.
- 5+ years of reprographics, document processing, or printing/pre-press digital production experience.
- 3 years of proven supervisory experience in hiring, training, evaluating, motivating, and developing an effective team.
- Strong computer skills and experience with Adobe, data entry, and digital content software tools with thorough understanding of digital document production workflow.
- Highly skilled in planning, training, and implementation of administrative procedures.
- Exceptional organizational skills with proven ability to prioritize daily operations and longer-term projects in order to meet deadlines, ensure efficient workflow, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must be able to work effectively and productively both independently and with a wide variety of people in an environment of rapidly changing deadlines and priorities.
- Must be a self-starter with initiative to work independently and possess strong problem solving skills.
- Strong budgeting and pricing skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and multi-task effectively.
- Superb attention to detail.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends as needed to meet deadlines during rush periods.
- Dedicated to developing positive relationships with team members and carrying out Cognella's Mission and Values.
- Exceptional people skills and a passion for excellence.
- Professional demeanor along with strong verbal and written communication skills.
Cognella offers all of our team members a stimulating and entrepreneurial work environment in Sorrento Valley, great colleagues, and the opportunity to shape their position. If you’ve ever wanted to be part of a growing entrepreneurial business, this is your chance to really make a difference.
For consideration, please submit cover letter, resume, and recent compensation history. All submissions will be held in confidence.
Company: Cognella, Inc. (Cognella Academic Publishing & University Readers)
Position: Digital Project Coordinator
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Location: This position is based out of our corporate office located in the Sorrento Valley area of San Diego, California. Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Compensation: Competitive salary and a comprehensive and competitive benefits package (health, vision, dental, generous vacation, holiday, and sick time, and 401K matching plan).
Start Date: Immediate
Cognella, Inc. is a leading provider of personalized higher-education publishing solutions, operating Web properties and services under two brands: Cognella Academic Publishing (www.cognella.com) and University Readers (www.universityreaders.com). We enable professors to control their choice of content, allowing them to design and tailor course materials to specific courses and learning objectives. Our unique approach has enabled us to become a trusted source for more than 4,000 instructors and 125,000 students annually at over 600 colleges and universities nationwide. Cognella has approximately 70 employees and is headquartered in San Diego.
Cognella, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.