We are immediately seeking a hands-on, analytical operations management expert, who has strong systems, supply chain management, and business analyst skills. The ideal candidate appreciates handling a variety of roles, loves working in a high-performing entrepreneurial environment, has an owner mentality, and appreciates the upside of an aggressive stock option plan that will reward long-term commitment and company-wide performance.
In this role, the Operations Manager will oversee a small team (3 full-time, 10+ during busy season, 1,000 SF warehouse) that handles high volume e-commerce operations, fulfillment, logistics, and customer service, working to optimize the entire workflow to reduce costs, increase efficiency, and improve the customer experience. Although physically small, there is high activity. In particular, this year, we’re looking to work on a variety of third-party supplier integrations and need a strong operations manager who can drive the project (identify solutions, document complete business rules, work hand-in-hand with engineering team, investigate internal systems upgrades if necessary, QA all development). You must be smart, ambitious, analytical, solutions-oriented, technology-savvy, a team player, and have polished communication.
We’re working on some exciting, transformative projects this year that will both revolutionize the academic publishing space and save students money. So, if you have a “fire-in-your-belly” to innovate and have always wanted to be part of a tight entrepreneurial team, this might be your chance. As you’ll report directly to our CEO and involved in company-wide operations, there’s room to grow in this position.
- Full oversight and management of our high-volume, fast-paced order processing operations (over 100,000 orders annually with heavy seasonality); recommend and implement automation strategies to reduce manual work and increase quality control; transition existing fulfillment to third-party print-on-demand and drop-shipping operation.
- Directly manage the department’s budget and all personnel (including full-time, part-time, and seasonal operations staff) working closely with your Operations Supervisor.
- Oversee all aspects of vendor management, inventory, third party logistics (USPS, FedEx, UPS), customer bulk purchase orders, drop-shipping, returns, and warehouse supplies.
- Develop performance metrics and reporting to ensure goals are met that support achievement of company profit and customer satisfaction objectives.
- Develop KPIs for the operations department along with other departments; continually assess business process practices and implement new work methods to improve productivity, processing times, and accuracy.
- Work with technology, accounting, and other company departments to ensure order data integrity across the entire company. Fully document and improve on all standard operating procedures.
- Be a key stakeholder and project leader as we work to upgrade our systems and implement EDI solutions with third party suppliers.
- Be our internal business analyst consultant, working with department managers and spearheading cross-functional projects to help best practices within our company.
- BA/BS degree required in business, operations, engineering, supply chain or related field.
- 5+ years distribution, fulfillment, logistics, or business systems analyst experience, preferably in consumer direct e-commerce environment.
- Strong technology background with ability to carefully define business rules, work with systems, and a general appreciation for designing elegant yet simple solutions.
- A well-rounded, analytical team player with both strategic and tactical skills, especially within an entrepreneurial environment – you’ve worn multiple hats in a growing company and love to be hands-on.
- Excellent product and project management skills, ideally having taken a product or process design from concept to completion.
- Experience with process improvement methodologies such as Lean, Six Sigma & Kaizen.
- Excellent experience exporting, merging, organizing, and analyzing various data sets – you must be both an excel and access whiz with proven abilities to identify and resolve data that looks questionable.
- Experience managing/developing individuals and establishing positive team dynamics
- Experience with staffing models and forecasting around multiple shift operations during high-demand periods.
- Good written and verbal communication skills with strong interpersonal skills.
- Extremely hard-working, impeccably organized, with exceptional attention-to-detail.
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative.
Cognella offers all of our team members a stimulating and entrepreneurial work environment in Sorrento Valley, great colleagues, and the opportunity to shape their position. If you’ve ever wanted to be part of a growing entrepreneurial business, this is your chance to really make a difference.
For consideration, please submit cover letter, resume, and recent compensation history.
Company: Cognella, Inc. (Cognella Academic Publishing & University Readers)
Position: Supply Chain Manager & Senior Business Analyst
Reports to: CEO
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Location: This position is based out of our corporate office located in the Sorrento Valley area of San Diego, California. Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Compensation: Competitive salary and stock options. Cognella also provides a comprehensive and competitive benefits package (health, vision, dental, generous vacation, holiday, and sick time, and 401K matching plan).
Start Date: Immediate
Cognella, Inc. is a leading provider of personalized higher-education publishing solutions, operating Web properties and services under two brands: Cognella Academic Publishing (www.cognella.com) and University Readers (www.universityreaders.com). We enable professors to control their choice of content, allowing them to design and tailor course materials to specific courses and learning objectives. Our unique approach has enabled us to become a trusted source for more than 4,000 instructors and 125,000 students annually at over 600 colleges and universities nationwide. Cognella has approximately 70 employees and is headquartered in San Diego.
Cognella, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer
Indeed - 15 months ago
Cognella offers all of our team members a stimulating and entrepreneurial work environment with great colleagues, and the opportunity to...