Cohen-Esrey Employee Reviews

Never received my reimbursement for traveling expenses.
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 24, 2017
Worked for Cohen Early for one week and due to having my car damaged while at work I decided not to work for the property due to safety issues. The company said they would not cover my car and they still owe me expense for traveling for training. It has been almost 2 months and they still owe me for gas and food expenses.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Safety, not getting paid expenses
Horrible Experience
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 10, 2017
The previous reviews reflect my feelings as well. All of them. When I left the co. they had a 65% turnover. I don't know where they are on that now but, it sounds like nothing has changed. Too bad as I was so excited to be working for them. Until reality sets in and you have to fight to do the job you were hired to do. Sometimes it is best to cut your losses and move on. Disapointing.

When you show up each year for the annual managers retreat everyone would hug each other and say oh yeah, you are here again this year! Glad to see you made it another year.
Pros
the other managers seemed really nice.
Cons
regional property managers and upper management were ruthless and tried to operate like bullies
Work Horse
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 27, 2017
Corporate is a joke. They do not pay bills, employee's are constantly changing. They have you do a core value. But do not follow their own rules. They spend allot of money on putting core value stuff together and are so proud of themselves, but leaving a property manager high and dry with nothing to offer you to get the job done. Did not appreciate the employees that worked hard for them. Manager meetings where always a waste of time and energy.
Took a huge breath of relief when I left company.
Pros
Met other great employee's
I would not recommend
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 16, 2017
They don't pay there bills and when jobs don't get done cause of bills you get introuble. You can go to any other property management and make several dollars more a hour.if you like getting introuble for there responsibilities and you want to live where you can't get by this is the perfect place for employment.
Pros
Your always home because you only work 30 hours a week.
Cons
Cant live on the pay and no benifets
Going to Work on the Titanic
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  everywhereMay 3, 2017
This is the worst company on the face of the planet. All the reviews are accurate. It doesn't matter what property you are at, the result is the same. They don't pay bills, so you better be ready to fend off collection agents as a part of your daily tasks. Don't be surprised if a homeless person tooling around pulls a gun on you. Upper level management is the WORST I have ever experienced. Take a job at McDonalds before you risk yourself with this company.
Pros
My paycheck always cleared the bank.
Cons
Where do I start....
Horrible
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 29, 2017
Terrible company to work with! Why do you think they have so many positions available? This company will run you thin. No bonuses and no raises. Upper management is not to be trusted and they are a bunch of bullies. You will regret working here. I am looking for another job as we speak.
Pros
Cons
everything
Caring and Capable
Marketing (Former Employee) –  4435 Main St, Kansas City, MO 64111April 4, 2017
They say, "thank you" often, for showing up and doing my job (management and team). The managers and the team were kind, considerate, approachable and highly knowledgeable about their industry.

Many employees have been there 10, 20 and even 30-years because they feel a sense of family there. I felt this as well. I moved on to pursue other endeavors and have worked with them a couple of times over the years when they needed coverage.

If you want professional treatment, a positive culture, good work/life balance, opportunities for development and advancement, I recommend working at Cohen-Esrey.
Pros
Smart, professional people, nice environment and good work/life balance.
I love this company - looking forward to many more years with them
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 4, 2017
I have nothing negative to report. I am a seasoned manager and have found the benefits- compensation- training- corporate support and my regional manager to be great. Every job has its challenges and companies do things differently. I have found them to be nothing but flexible and supportive.
Pros
See below
Run as fast as you can
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSFebruary 11, 2017
This company is horrible to their employees. Break about every labor law and have several complaints with EEOC. They have unseasoned people in management that are clueless at best. The core values they just implemented are a joke.Nothing is confidential. I personally watched the company fire an employee who had cancer. So sad :(
Pros
they haven't filed bankruptcy yet
Cons
The entire experience working there and the new CFO what a joke
Sad
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 30, 2016
I was offered a position it this company, it all seemed fine, until the 2nd day of work, news channel 4 showed up because the residents had called in... 3rd day... I was on my own.. no one was there to help me through anything, all while a new security system is being put in, a very very old bld, housing adult citizens, in the heart Of St. Louis, and I was responsible for the scattered sites of smaller properties as well, I was never even shown these peoperties, I had to find them on my own.. 2nd day all calls about roofs leaking at one of the other locations, and into electrical boxes.. next thing I know the City inspectors walk in... and was trying to violate me, for things that they had been sited for 6 months prior... 5th day, I came in to a note telling me I was going to be r*ped and killed, I called my supervisor, and they did not want me to call the police, because each time the police are called it reflects on their 'hud' and of course their reputation... I called the police, and then I walked out.
The worst part is I am a CAM with the STLAA, and the regional manager is part of the committee, therfore I have not worked in property management since....
Pros
None..
Cons
I could right a book...
Worst company ever!
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 20, 2016
The pay is horrible for the size of the properties. Current management is obtuse and uninformed on Fair Housing Policies among other things. New manager actually stated in a meeting to discriminate on certain caliber of tenants, which violate housing policies. I worked in a very hostile work environment, that was very unprofessional at all times. The company does not value their employees or pay their bills. The lights, water and phones were shut off because current management does not know how to process bills. I would not suggest this company as a place of employment or potential place of residence for anyone on this planet!
Pros
Cons
Healthcare is horrid, Pay is below par, Company standards are deplorable
Frustrating
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City , KSJuly 31, 2016
This company will take advantage of you as much as possible. Continue to push more and more work on you with no compensation. You will be hired for one position, but end up doing the work for many. They don't pay their bills, and treat their property managers badly. Will not fix problems with property, say they will, then it's still not done years later. Corporate person very condescending, tries to make you feel stupid.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Limited pay, very high insurance, large turn over, Overload you with work, because everyone is quitting.
Horrible Company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 11, 2016
Higher mgmt. thinks she's better than everyone else. Likes to throw her weight around as if she's the ultimate being. But wont attempt to help property. I truly don't understand how they are still in business. Will never work for again even if its the last offer in the world. I would rather eat dirt.....They don't even follow their own standards...shame...
Pay and benifits horrible
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 16, 2016
Very unorganized small management company. More paperwork and less pay. Don't live on property. You will have to pay taxes on your employees discount.
Poor management company
SOMEONE (Former Employee) –  KANSAS CITY, MOJune 2, 2016
Started working for Cohen-Esrey seemed ok until I got on property. This property has to be the worst they have and they don't care that their name is attached to it. For the low pay with no commission and they don't pay the bills, they want the manager to lease units but the units looks horrible, carpet is nasty, they haven't paid bills so there is no cleaner, no carpet replacement, no painter, can't order parts, no office supplies, no paper, pens, ink/toner, phone has been shut off...but we are expected to lease units. They want us to put on resident functions with no money, they want us to get donations to do resident functions. The units look horrible, I am embarrassed that I ever associated my name with this company will NOT go on my resume.....Sorry excuse for a management company. Can't imagine what is going through the owners head with this one.....
Hardest part of the job is facing the people that have lived here for a long time and telling them we will get it fixed knowing I am lying....
Pros
Assistant Manager & Maintenance
Wonderful Company!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 4, 2016
Cohen-Esrey is the best company I have ever worked for. Great advancement possibilities for those willing to work and show some initiative. The culture is amazing. Changes were made a couple of years ago and the company leadership is truly working hard to create a great place to work where everyone feels appreciated and part of the team. If you don't like something, take it to someone. They will listen. They care. Not many companies really do, but Cohen-Esrey certainly does. I've been here for two decades and I will never leave. Great team members to work with.
Pros
New insurance company with HSA, lower cost insurance plan, 3 options to choose from, 401(k) with 1/4 matching after a year, Advancement possibilities
Love the Company
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 1, 2015
This Company was a very awesome company to work for and all my co-workers were very awesome. The pay was not that good and the benefits were extremely high.
Pros
awesome work place
Cons
benefits are extremely high
Poor
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILSeptember 30, 2013
Poor place to work because of a poor management company, not only was I mistreated as an employee but was also taken for a ride for the apartment I lived in as a requirement for the position. ( on site ) Never a notice of damages they were charging me for however enough to remodel the entire moldy unit.. I resign, new manager comes in and was so malicious for no reason at all. To make it worse the company that had first offered me my job back, allowed the behavior after I denied the request to return. A total nightmare ! That is some how still on my credit report after dispute.. Still haunting me! The job would have been great had "corporate" office paid attention to what was going on around there long before I was hired. This is what happens when your only line of communication with a supervisor is via fax, scanner and phone and email....
Very Challenged Property
Make Ready Tech. (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 3, 2013
Most days were difficult in many different ways (water mostly) but I accepted those challenges head on and was proud to achieve success throughout the property. I got a chance to meet & work beside some great people and learn a few things about leasing. Hard part was get parts to handle things properly & timely & the most enjoyable part was making the tenants happy and satisfied.
Pros
did a lot of good there
Cons
to many short cuts
ok
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Wellington, KSJanuary 28, 2013
dont make enough to support a family, no benefits which means no insurance, 401 k, no retirement
Pros
more time to spend with family
Cons
not enough pay to cover expenses

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cohen-Esrey. Our community is ready to answer.

1.7