Coit Hedgcoxe Animal Hospital offers boarding for clients. Current exams and vaccinations, including the Bordatella vaccination for dogs are required for boarding. Please make reservations in advance especially during the holidays and weekends as space fills quickly.
8. What are your boarding facilities like, and can I bring in my pet's own food, bed and toy? Coit Hedgcoxe Animal Hospital boarding facilities are all indoor. They're air conditioned and heated. Cats are housed in our cat room. We have a larger condo for cats who like to stay together. We provide litter boxes, towels, and Science Diet food for all of our cat boarders. We want to make sure your pet is comfortable for its stay. All of our dog runs and cages are inside with central A/C and heat. Ask for a tour to see how nice they are.
9. What do I feed my puppy or kitten? Puppies and kittens need a good source of protein and vitamins to help with their development and growth. This can be achieved by feeding them a puppy or kitten maintenance diet until they are one year of age.
10. How soon can I bathe my pet? Puppies and kittens can safely be given a bath at the age of 8 weeks. Prior to 8 weeks you can use a baby wipe or waterless shampoo to remove soiled areas on your pet. Always make sure puppies and kittens are kept warm when bathed.
11. Is it all right to feed my dog bones? Milkbones and chews can be very effective in maintaining healthy gums and teeth. Animal bones (steak bones) and cow hooves (found in pet store) are not safe to give to your dog.
12. Do you sell pets? Coit Hedgcoxe Animal Hospital does not sell animals. We do have a bulletin board which clients are welcomed to post notes regarding pets needing homes or pet's wanted.
13. How old must my pet be in order to be spayed or neutered? Spaying and neutering your pet are recommended at 6 months of age. Current vaccinations are also required at the time of surgery.
14. Is declawing my kitten cruel? When should it be done? Declawing your cat can eliminate inappropriate scratching with no detrimental behavioral or medical consequences. Declawing your cat can be done as early as 2 months of age or can be done at the same time your pet is being spayed or neutered at 6 months of age.
15. How long is a cat/dog pregnancy? Female gestation in cats normally last 63-65 days. Siamese cats may carry their kittens for 67 days. A female dog's gestation is normally 63 days. However, puppies can be delivered between 58-68 days.
16. When does a cat/dog go into heat? The heat cycle is the mating period for female animals. Cats normally have their first heat cycle between 5 to 10 months of age with the average being 6 months. Dogs first heat cycle are normally between 6-12 months. Some females of larger breeds may not have their first cycle until they are 12-24 months of age. Remember the above information is general not all females follow these patterns. Consult with your veterinarian if your pet does not seem typical. Sometimes cycling problems can be early warning of more serious problems and the sooner they are dealt with the better. 17. What does a physical exam include? A physical exam is recommended yearly to better ensure pet's health. The exam includes the doctor checking your pet's eyes, ears, mouth/gums, teeth, lungs, heart and skin.
18. Can my pet be spayed during its heat cycle? Yes, the surgical procedure can be done at this time for an additional fee. If you think your pet may be in heat and you have any questions and or concerns please call your veterinarian.
19. Shouldn't I let my pet have at least one litter? No, there is no advantage in allowing your pet to have a litter. There are numerous advantages though to spaying/neutering your pet.
20. How long do sutures stay in? Sutures may or may not be necessary for your pet's procedure. Procedures involving sutures usually require sutures to be removed in 10-14 days from the time of the procedure. – less–ZoomInfo