Cold Stone Creamery Employee Reviews

Pretty good as a first job
Crew Member/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 15, 2016
Typical first few days of actual work consists of making waffle cones and trying to help customers. Super easy job with the training and management was the bomb digity. You basically learn how to be super confident in what you do, and that's why I would recommend this job to a first time worker. Advancement is pretty available depending on how much effort you're trying to put in. Co-workers are easy to work with, and like any job: you'll learn what they do well and what they don't pretty quickly. Also, vice versa. Most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the flexible hours and the laid back environment.
Pros
Free like-it signature every time you work a shift (small ice cream)
Don't work here, you'll hate them after a couple month
Server (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VADecember 26, 2016
You'd think this is a great place to work, but it really isn't. You get paid minimum wage to do A LOT of things, stuff you have to clean is actually pretty gross. The drain, after it's been getting mix-ins flowing through it for days, is DISGUSTING. If you have a stingy boss who likes to turn off the blast freezer every night to save electricity, you'll be cleaning mold out of it once per month. It smells like death. It's hard to get a raise and when you do, it's a few cents every time. There's also no benefits. Customers hate it when you sing to them for tips. Don't do it.
Pros
Free Icecream
Cons
Everything else
Staff is great, management is not
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAJanuary 30, 2017
The crew members and shift supervisors were one of the most hard working and cheerful people I've ever met. The managers, however, were irresponsible and almost always unavailable. They were only around when it was convenient to them. When ever the store had a problem or something broke they would never fix it and told us to just work with it. On top of that no one received raises.
Pros
GREAT STAFF
Cons
HORRIBLE MANAGERS
fast paced, sweet smelling work environment, perfect customers
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 24, 2016
Management was the worst I have ever seen, so bad that the customers would leave complaints about it. But for me being a shift supervisor I was doing everything in the store, in short I took over the gm position for my boss, because there was nothing getting done. They would complain how the store wasn't the way they wanted it but when they would come in they refused to work. Please think twice before applying here, I've seen to many people get disappointed with this place even now
Pros
great tips
Cons
You have to work harder than your boss
Terrible Management
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 5, 2016
Owner, and shift leaders show little regard for the business, and deter the business from growing. Co-workers are friendly and the best part of the job, however poor infrastructure and management left me uninspired to work harder.
Pros
Free ice cream
Cons
Poor training, poor work culture, no desire for innovation, stifles creativity and ambition.
Fun and easy job
Server (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJuly 29, 2016
Ususally nights consist of cleaning, and serving customers.This is where I learned to keep my cool if a customer decides to be rude, i learned how to be a leader, and I learned what it takes to be a team. Our managment is okay, not the best but I do love my manager as a person. My co-workers, most of them are good at their job, but there are some that should be more guided with mangement.. There really is no hard part in this job. The msot enjoyable part about this job is when regulars come in and recognize who I am each time.
Pros
Works with my schedule, easy job, good people
Cons
No raises, rude people, employees dont always do their job
Productive and fun work place.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Shorewood, WINovember 28, 2016
I kept my plans of each initial day the same, but, for all work places, factors step in, and plans change. The kids that worked under me were just that when I had stepped in as manager - kids. It took a lot of ground breaking work and effort (and undeniable monthly rewards!) to whip them into shape. By the time I left, the store - and my employees with it, were gleaming. They had always been great workers. But now, they can leave the store with much more intelligence, more more experience on customer service, up-selling, and yes, even cleaning skills for their next career choice. I loved working at Cold Stone because I have learned so much about setting goals and applying myself, as well as at least ten other young adults to them. I think the hardest part of the job was figuring out how to be very well liked, and very well respected at the same time.
fun workplace with flexible schedule
Customer service and cake decorator (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJanuary 6, 2017
I learned customer service and how to work in my first job. I got hired as a cake decorator a month after being hired and a month or so after that became the head cake decorator.
Pros
ice cream
Cons
pay raises
Fun enviornment
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 21, 2016
I had so much fun working here, with the mixing ice cream and eating it too! The reason I left here though, is that I could not even get a raise until I could move up to Shift Leader, which all those positions were filled. I loved my bosses, my co-workers and the customers.
Fun place to work, not the best at balancing work and other outside obligations
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 20, 2016
A typical day at work was fairly routine, handled customers, made cakes, and cleaned around the store. This was my first job so it was all very new to me. I learned customer service and money handling skills as well as how to develope a strong work ethic. The management was okay the store had co-owners which were husband and wife, the husband was the head owner and was there a fair amount of the time and the wife was there if the husband was out of town or if she wanted us to make ice cream for her and her grandsons. They weren't very active in the store, the shift leader held most of the manager responsibilities even though we had no manager. The co-workers were nice but we didn't work as a team very often, more like independent being working in the same area.
Pretty good place to work
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Allen Park, MINovember 20, 2016
Working here is a pleasant experience. Staff is very friendly and helpful, well kept building, flexible hours, and benefits. Fun environment to work in and friendly and understandable management.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Varying hours
It was fine
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 2, 2017
I was one of the only reliable employees and I was given more responsibilities then others but only got one 15 cent raise from minimum wage for a year of work and devotion.
Cool place to work
Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 18, 2016
Working here was very fun. Preparing ice cream treats on the cold stone was very unique and fun once you get a technique down. In two months time, I received a raise and moved to a key holder position.
A fun place to work
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 3, 2017
I am the team lead at Coldston Creamery. A typical day is opening the store at 11 am. I am responsible for making sure that the storwe is stocked, well cleaned, and maintained through out the day. Ensuring that the night crew is well prepared if they are hit with a rush. At times I felt that I was drowning in having to teach myself the ins and outs of the business. I enjoyed the mental and physical aspects of the job, being able to quickly assess and manage any problems that may arise my way.
Pros
life and work balance
Cons
no lunches, no advancement
Very place to work at
Manager (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 10, 2016
I started out as employee work hard enough to become a manager. I trained employees, made schedules and handled the money at the end of shift and beginning. However the salary was not enough.
Pros
ice cream
Cons
salary
Fun environment to work in
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCJuly 12, 2016
I loved my job working at Cold Stone Creamery. It was my first job and I advanced from a line worker to Cake decorator within the first 3 months working there. With the advancement I also got a raise and a set schedule which I loved. I never had problems working and loved everyone I worked with, I unfortunately had to leave due to surgery on my hand but my Cold Stone family was super supportive and even threw a little going away party for me on my last day!
Pros
Fun, Free shift treats, great employers
Fun productive
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Florida mallOctober 15, 2016
Absoluetly loved my job, loved my coworkers & everything. Got a raise less than 3months, alot of benefits good pay for the job. Very happy .
Pros
Free ice cream, tips, meet new people everyday
Cons
Short lunch
Fast paced and entertaining
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 8, 2017
A typical day includes helping customers, cleaning, and opening/closing the store. The work is not at all challenging and is recommended for individuals with a positive attitude. The management is not overbearing and very understanding. An employee learns the ins and outs of good customer service, how to handle challenging situations, and how to care for a store.
Pros
50% off ice cream, friendly customers
Cons
faced paced, lots of cleaning
My Second Family
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Meridian, IDMay 14, 2016
We supported and motivated each other to be our best. Wouldn't trade my experience working at Cold Stone for anything.

Management:
- Had an open door policy
- Very understanding
- Worked well around schedule (school)
Pros
Free ice cream, frequent raises, great work culture, motivating and understanding boss
Cons
Solid as a first job, requires independent thinkers/people, tips matter
Shift leader (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2016
Overall rating: 4. I mean hey, you don't smell like grease coming home
Job work/life balance: 3. 2 weeks notice for days off really requires you to be on top of your own schedule.
Compensation: 2. No benefits, only tips. But oh tips matter so much
Job security/advancement: 3. You can become a shift leader or assistant manager. Since our store has a high turnover, stick with the job and it'll speak volumes.
Management: 2. Well, when your boss (not the one doing the paycheck a or scheduling, the one you see in store all the time) leaves, really doesn't improve morale. Indirect contact and little communication ( on the management side) takes a toll on employees
Job culture: 4. Cold stone allows personality and individuality. Really neat
High turnover (no steady workers)
Working alone semi often sucks a lot
Stress on personal work ethics, if you work alone your work reflects how you feel about your job/store

(Btw, made my location of store to be more general. If you are in the Houston area and agree with these things, it just might be your store too, bud)
Pros
Tips, smell like waffles
Cons
No breaks, work alone if shift leader (Monday-Thursday) during slow season, constant flow of new faces (no one stays long), bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cold Stone Creamery. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9