Cole Haan Employee Reviews

Daily work is satisfying but corporate management is sloppy
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 20, 2013
The best part about working for Cole Haan is being able to interact with customers. Cole Haan is an amazing brand with high quality merchandise and being able to form relationships with customers to match them with the perfect product, knowing that they are happy and that I might have touched their life in a meaningful way is incomparably satisfying. I am great-full to Cole Haan for allowing me that opportunity.

Now that Cole Haan is owned by a private equity firm the corporate structure has changed significantly. They talk a lot about "multiplying" which means getting more from your people with less resources. From a profitability standpoint this makes a lot of sense. However, the Brand vision is undefined, or at least not communicated to the people responsible for sharing that vision with the consumer. They have very high expectations for performance but offer very little in resources to be able to deliver on those expectations. From the store level it appears that the different departments at the corporate level have little to no communication between themselves, leading to excessive amount of merchandise shipped to stores that have no capacity to handle it and very poor marketing or in store advertising. There is little to no communication about how to merchandise stores, especially those that have different layouts. Yet when guidance is asked for the answer is often "just figure it out." And when one does the best they can to figure it out, heaven help them if they make choices that don't follow company expectations, even though those expectations are not communicated.
  more... The concept of Multiplying is most effective when expectations are clear and creativity is encouraged. Neither is the case in the "new Cole Haan." Expectations are not clear, and while creativity is encouraged it is only rewarded when you manage to follow the secret rules.

Ray Etzo is the only one who shines a beacon of hope for the future of the company. He often communicates inspirational messages designed (I assume) to motivate. However the underlying message is that we must work harder with less for now and that things will get better in the future. The beacon of hope that Ray shines has no meat behind it. It just continues to shine just out of reach so that we are struggling just to continue seeing the light without ever seeing what that light shines on. He tries to give hope, but without a goal hope can only take you so far.
Pros
working with customers, great product.
Cons
if someone leaves the assumption is they can't handle it.
Don't work for Cole Haan
Sales Associate - Part Time (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 20, 2015
I worked at the same store in Texas for a long time and I can honestly sat that the store where I worked, and the company as a whole, has seen its better days.

The sales associate position is no longer valued, respected, or appreciated by this company. When I began the store was staffed by full-time, professional, mature, intelligent, dedicated, wholly commissioned associates. Being a sales associate at Cole Haan was a career, something you could make a good living doing.

This is no longer the case. There is no such thing as a full-time associate anymore, nor can you earn a full-time position. We had a DM that regarded the sales associates as disposable. Yes, a very good team of associates ultimately left the company and what replaced them was a patchwork of part-timers that were not of the same caliber of the associates who left. Even these "replacement players" left the company. When we did find talented associates, we couldn't keep them.

The decision making skills of corporate management is not the best either. Sales associates at my store were no longer given business cards and their clientele books were sent away and replaced with a "clienteling app". The "clienteling app" either crashed or just went away, who knows. And do you really need thirty something colors of the same shoe? Coming out with a different color of the same shoe is not being innovative, its creative laziness. Then there was the time someone decided the week of Black Friday would be a good time to completely overhaul the phone system.

If there is anything that the company
  more... values less than their sales associates its the merchandise. It seem the company in in a state of perpetual promotion. This achieves nothing but debasing an already damaged brand.

If you need to make a few extra dollars on the side, working for a mediocre company, yes its a great place to work. See it for what it is, a "mac-job", and get as much out of it as you can and don't expect much in the way of appreciation or acknowledgement of your accomplishments.

Working as a sales associate for Cole Haan is no longer a profession for adults who have financial obligations.
Pros
Working with a great team (while it lasted anyhow) and nice customers
Cons
Not having upper management value your input
Great products bad management no team building.
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJanuary 4, 2016
I worked at Premium outlets CH for 4 months. One week after I started two AM's quit leaving one senior store Mgr to do it all. I was quickly promoted to AM temp key opening the store almost everyday. The Store Mgr at the time was wonderful, her team building skills were off the chart, she training me and stood by my side making sure I knew the ins and outs of CH. the products are great, they sell themselves. My
Manager quickly burned out having to cover all shifts without staff, she left under extreme pressure. Upper management never communicated hiring status of a new store manager. There is no communication, never know when we will get new stock or replacements of great selling items. Just the same shoes in 10 colors. Holidays are a joke, understaffed or kids right out of high school with no work skills or ethics. They force good staff out by over staffing or understaffing or playing favorites. There is no team building at all, no telling staff they did a great job. The store is filthy, carpet stained and smelly bathroom no break area for staff, just stand and sell. Horrible experience I would not recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Nothing free, shoe allowance but not 100% and you must wear product.
Cons
Some good staff but they get burned out and find excuses to leave or reduce hours due to pressure.
Productive place to work at with and with lots of room for growth and advancement within the company.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Camarillo, CASeptember 12, 2014
I started as a sales associate and was promoted to the key holder position, and eventually to a manager for more than three years. As an assistant manager I have many administrative responsibilities that are completed daily. I process and update employee paperwork, maintain a payroll budget, file and organize paperwork, filing and reviewing inventory reports, creating and managing financial reports, and creating weekly schedules. I use Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook to create and process documents. I manage a team of fifteen employees and train them on duties and procedures. I handle any client issues and resolve them in person, on the phone, or by e-mail. I act as a liaison between the district manager, store manager, and the staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job is making that connection with my clients and having them leave my store with a smile on their faces and happy with their purchase. World class customer service does make a difference. Having a team with strong communication and customer skills is what drives sales, thus helping companies thrive for years on going.
Pros
monthly bonus, season footwear allowance, district contests, full health benefits
Cons
holiday hours
Senseless cost-cutting
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2013
Ever since new CEO and CMO came into town, things changed drastically. Even though we were promised the sun, "we're not like other private equity companies - we care about people". Unfortunately, after working in a hostile environment (nobody knowing if they will be fired and people trying to prove themselves), "cost-cutting" became the regular norm. Positions were slashed by the dozens both in the NYC and ME offices, with no real foresight. In the Marketing dept. everyone from the production person, copywriters, digital designers and directors were laid off within weeks.

The people left over have been asked to take on all the extra work, most of the time doing what they have no experience or training in. You do not leave the office before 9PM because of the increased workload doing other people's jobs. Marketing manager doing print production? Check. Social media person doing dept. budgets? Check.

You might say, but maybe laid off people were bad at their jobs - well, 2012 was Cole Haan's highest profit year in recent history and from a marketing standpoint, the brand was back in people's minds. To top it off, they're now hiring for the same positions they eliminated two months ago.
Pros
office location, people
Cons
no work/life balance, marketing directors with no experience

Comment – July 8, 2013

Every single comment made above was accurate. Being one of the laid off employees, this has been a devastating time for many wonderful and talented people, that loved this brand, and worked so hard to maintain its integrity in the marketplace. It is so incredibly sad. Cole Haan is gone, and it is no longer the amazing, collaborative place it used to be.

White Glove Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenland, NHNovember 4, 2013
White Glove CS means going above and beyond the standard; taking extra initiative to satisfy the customer. At Cole Haan, we worked both individually and as a team to ensure customer satisfaction at every step of the way - from simply providing product information to a style search to purchase to delivery - and all the little bumps that occur in between.

Since CS for the e-commerce team is a "people job", one of the most interesting facets of the job was that you never know what the next call will bring - something that is both intriguing and challenging. Our superior management team was always supportive and encouraging of all of our communications and services- especially with the occasional highly-problematic issues. The camaraderie and interaction of the CS teams
(e-Commerce, Wholesale, Retail and International) added fun and interest to every day of work. The only difficult part of the job was dealing with (inhibiting) systems/IT problems.

The best part of the job - hands down - was hearing an initially irate customer say (at the end of the call), "Thanks so much - you're fabulous! This is the best Customer Service I have ever received, and that's why I will continue to be a customer.".
Pros
great team/family work environment
Cons
it/systems issues
Productive and fun going environment teamwork friendly
Sales Associate/Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 19, 2012
Open the store with one of the managers on team, prepare the floor for customers by cleaning the facility, inventory count and restock products. Have a sit down with manager for five to ten minutes and go over daily sales goals for myself, our store and our regional goals for the day.
Everyday in retail you learn something new and that is the fascinating thing about it, no day is the same. I enjoy my coworkers, especially the one's who like myself have been there since the opening of the store. We are like a family at work and that makes teamwork that much better. it also makes it that much more exciting to go to work everyday when you care about and know the people you work with.
The hardest part of the job for me at this point is Average item per transaction, so getting the client to purchase more than one ro two items at a time.
The most enjoyable part of it is the team we have as well as the clients we are able to please on a daily basis with our affordable priced product. no one feels as if they are not able to purchase something at our stroe and the the price is within the lifestyle and price range.
Pros
four and a half hour shifts, the team work
Cons
no breaks within the four hours and we get less than 20 hours of work per week.
Love my job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Gretna, NEJanuary 12, 2016
Prior to being promoted to an assistant store manager, I was a sales associate. I proved myself through hard work and determination that I was capable of the advancement.
A typical day at Cole Haan is arriving at the store prior before opening. Running daily reports, labor management, and opening the registers, which I've learned since becoming a manager. During store hours helping customers, receiving shipment, employee direction, maintaining great relationships with customers and employees. Seeking always to find a positive with the bad. I like all aspects of my job such as employees, customers, always changing. As a assistant manager I have learned to properly manage employees through the positive.
The hardest part of my job would be having to work on the weekends. As our children get older were in need of many weekend trips and my lack of being home on the weekends is beginning to take a toll on out family. So I'm having to put my family needs first.
This has and will be a hard decision for I love my job, employees, benefits, and customers, but I'm having to make a tough decision for a great reason..
Pros
Wonderful staff and company, location, advancement
Cons
Hours
Nike owned Cole Haan-*
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Tigard, OregonApril 13, 2013
-Working with re purposed animal skins can be fun....
The employees are treated well and generous benefits were provided.
When the owning body was Nike I worked with from; 06-08/09-09.
-The company enabled employees the ability to develop interpersonal relationships with clients, who for some ; often turned into friendships.
-Working in Bridgeport has its advantages and with the array of shopping and food options available, it is often necessary I found on Lunch or Break to seek out the nature close by to break away from the ever present stimuli of fun seekers with their consumer needs.
-This work environment is suitable for anyone who can separate work and free time sufficiently, because as a full time employee you will spend a good amount of your life in a confined space around the size of a large convenient store.
-Working with primary female associates enabled me the ability to grow as a manager and take on a new perspective of the business world through new management styles and relationship building techniques.
Pros
discounts, autonomy, pleasant people, refridgerator in front- keep drinks/food while working
Cons
retail
Enjoyable workplace for a company who cares about their employees
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, GADecember 26, 2015
This company cares about their employees. They want us to move up in the company and stay with the company as long as possible. Throughout my time there I have learned a lot about management and working/ managing a team. We care for our customers and they always come first. As a part of the management, I spent time interviewing potential employees for sales associate positions. I worked partly as talent manager. My main DOR was operations. I mostly worked on the every day paperwork as well as the stock room. The hardest part of my job was probably maintaining the sales associates and working with everyone's schedules so that we could be beneficial as a store on a day to day basis. The most enjoyable part about my job was becoming so close to my coworkers and being excited to go to work every day and see familiar faces. I loved getting to know the clients that shopped there regularly.
Upbeat place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Friendship Heights, MDApril 9, 2015
I actually loved working here except the pay is just a dollar more then minimum wage and what the percentage they pay you for your commission is close to nothing when you think about the amount of sales you put in everyday. The management staff is great they will work around your schedule if you have a primary job and if this is your only job you actually have the opportunity to get your hours. Employees are respectable as the team predominately makes up the working class citizen so no drama will ensue, plus the location I worked for I had a chance to work alongside some prominent people who had respectable careers. The benefits is great if you are a full time or part time employee as you do receive healthcare and vouchers towards shoes/accessories.
Pros
Upbeat environment, great management and co-workers, vouchers towards merchandise, Hours are available
Cons
Long hours on your feet, low pay and commission
started out great, ended in disaster
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Cabazon, CAJanuary 10, 2016
I worked at Cole Haan right out of high school practically. I started under a great manager and staff in 2012 in Cabazon, but within the 3 years I worked there things turned bad.

I ended up quitting in 2015 because the company changed. My new mangers and staff were more focused on numbers and didn't seem to care about the Associate staff. We were worked hard while the managers sat in the stock room talking. When we needed them they were not willing to help much, and if they did they did it in a rushed way. When I tried going for a key holder position I was looked over and it was given to someone who wasn't there as long. It seemed that the changes that came to Cole Haan made it to where the employees that had been there for years were pushed out.

The merch became hard to sell, and people were not impressed anymore.
Cons
short breaks, lazy managers, inconsideration
Great company but can't do much at my age and being parttime
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Merrimack, NHMay 14, 2014
Cole Haan is a nice company to work for, there's always something new everyday to learn from. Taking care of the stock room is my usual focus considering I do most of the shipping and receiving. Our main focus is insuring the customer is happy with what they leave with. By interacting with different people everyday helps learn about different attitudes and different backgrounds. The hardest part is not being able to get recognized for how long I've been with the company and get what I deserve for being there. I do enjoy it there because I love helping customers find what they're looking for and love when they leave the store happy.
Pros
i've been there since they opened in 2012, built great clientele
Cons
part-time/no benifits, haven't got a raise, no offers on getting a higher position
company is attempting to re-establish its footing and find direction after NIKE saile
executive at corporate (Former Employee) –  eastern regionOctober 5, 2013
The company is all over the place and is trying to find its way. Management is consistently speaking of how they're trying to find their core audience and drive team morale there is no team.

They really don't know how to market effectively or manage store personnel in general. They hire renegade District and Area Managers that wind up coming in and firing entire store staff in an attempt to make a difference. Its a shoe company it can't be that hard to run it But apparently it is.

They have a good product but refuse to market themselves effectively. Resources are wasted on dead end ideas and campaigns. Need to move into the digital age.
Pros
when nike owned them
Cons
unstable management, corporate culture is weird and cheeky.
Productive and Fun day
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2015
My clients,my co-workers, and the energy that flows on the selling floor is what keeps me going back. I have faithful clients referring other clients to me due to my great customer service on a regular. Although Cole Haan is a commissioned based environment, tag teaming with co-workers in order to gain clients trust, accurate product knowledge, and building sales comes very easily with the Cole Haan family. The most impact I have gained from Cole Haan is learning how to adapt and attract to different clienteles. Management sometimes listen in while conducting with clients to give constructive criticism on selling points. Working at Cole Haan isn't all about shopping, its about building those connections and networking for paths to cross again.
Fun Work Enviorment but not reliable
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Central Valley, NYFebruary 21, 2013
A typical work day is working with customers, to support their needs. The managment team has changed several times over the past year. The corporation was recently purchased by a new company, and a lot of changes have happened. Ive learned how to work under pressure. Working at Woodbury Commons can be a stressful enviorment. I have learn the Business Acumen. The hardest part of working at Cole Haan is the hours. Our hours are not steady, or consistant. I never can rely on hours or a steady paycheck. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping the customers. Being about to help them find exactly what they are looking for, and them leaving wth a smile on their face.
Pros
working in a small family like setting
Cons
no steady schedule, no benefits, no steady hour
My detail of Retail
Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 19, 2015
On a typical day at Cole Haan. Enter into the building with the mindset that no matter how much traffic there is I am going to reach my goal. I look at the numbers from the previous day, inquire about any new products or sales that we are running and then begin to engage customers as they enter. Managers usually run a tight ship and have high expectation being that Nordstroms is adjacent to us. The co-workers are very helpful and team oriented. The hardest part of the Job is sometimes to endure the slow times and the hours that are cut because the customer traffic is slow. But the most enjoyable part of my work experience is engaging with the customers,promoting and retailing a brand that attracts an extremely diverse community.
After being sold by Nike, new leadership seems out of touch with real world.
Special Handling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Greenland, NHMarch 5, 2014
I worked for Cole Haan under Nike for seventeen years. Their were ups and downs but overall it was a positive experience. When the company was sold, the new leadership began cutting people almost right away. People in the distribution center are now run ragged, some having to cover two or three jobs at times. No raises have been given for at least 18 months, with no indication of any on the horizon. The new ownerships only goal is to quickly profit, then resell the company in a few years. I would not suggest working for the Greenland, NH distribution center.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
no chance for advancement, upper management not interested in hearing employees ideas
A typical day at work
Stock Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 16, 2015
The day starts with morning prep, checking the sales floor for visual standards, replacing any light bulbs in the ceiling lights that may need replacing,then followed by garbage removal. From there any sales that needed to be shipped to our customers are boxed and prepared for pickup from parcel company. Management can have a variation of styles and approaches depending on the person. Co-workers are easy going and easy to co-exist with. The hardest part of the job is coverage issues, there would be days I got pulled away from stock duties to help on the sales floor due to a lack of coverage with sales associates.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks, fair wages
Cons
lack of coverage, sometimes lack of team effort, lazy associates
Management Team is the worse
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2014
Lack of experience. Managers dress like teenagers going to clubs on friday nights. The district manager is by far the nastiest woman I have ever met. Threatened to have me loose my job because she didnt seem to like me. Jamie Vergara is the most unprofessional person, she knows nothing about the merchandise and treats employees unfairly. She harasses and uses fowl language towards any one she doesnt see eye to eye with. Its a huge clown show with these people i dont recommend anyone to work in the new york area. management team has no idea how to talk to employees or customers much less on how to run a business.
Pros
great pay
Cons
discrimination and harassment