Colgate-Palmolive

Colgate-Palmolive Employee Reviews

Highly ethical company
Documentation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJuly 14, 2015
Typical Day at Work

My typical day at work includes distribution and electronic filing of Global Raw Material Qualification Reports and Global Quality Technical Agreements. I also assign control numbers to the technical agreements.

My responsibilities also include writing/editing Standard Operating Procedures and routing them via SAP's Document Management System. I am also the Global DMS Implementation Coordinator; I manage electronic documentation management system site launches around the world. I am currently working with sites that are located in Asia and Latin America. Previously I assisted sites in Australia and in Vietnam with their launches. The launch project includes training the new system administrators.

As a training database administrator, I assign GMP and Quality-related courses to users as requested. I also generate usage graphs for managers to evaluate and maximize system optimization.

What I Learned

I have learned how to manage documentation systems, and I've also learned how to communicate effectively via written and verbal avenues. Learning how to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously has been a significant personal lesson over the years.

Management can be quite critical of your best efforts. Coworkers are typically understanding and helpful. They are supportive and look out for others.

The hardest part of the job is electronic filing due to its mundane nature.

The most enjoyable part of the job is managing the global site launches for DMS, and receiving many accolades from coworkers in other countries on how
  more... much support they've received during the project.  less
Pros
Excellent health & work benefits; perks, discounts
Cons
Can be pigeon-holed into one type of job; limited work/life balance; high-stress environment
Very productive workplace. Not a fun environment.
Customer Support Agent (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 22, 2014
In my department, as soon as we log in we have five minutes to get everything pulled up on our computers. I use three different monitors due to the multitasking we have to do continuously. I key vet orders as fast as possible with as few mistakes as possible. These are checked on a weekly basis. I also switch from keying faxes to taking vet calls and taking orders over the phone or helping resolve order issues. When I am in queue to take calls and I am waiting for a call, I am keying returns on my other screen. I have learned to be very efficient. The coworkers around me right now all seem to be easy to work with. We have moved at least four times in the last few months. We pack up our desks and move and set back up, and then a few weeks later, we move again.It is hard to really get to know people around you, since you aren't around them long. The hardest part of the job is the constant changing. The most enjoyable part of the job is when things settle down a bit and I can get into a rythm, which helps me to relax, which causes me to work much better. There is a management team, so basically, we all have 5 or 6 supervisors. I prefer having one. It gives it more of a personal feel. This is all new, and is difficult to grasp all of the changes.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
at this time, no job security at all there.
Large facility, team work environment, breaks at desecration between you and team, large lunch area plus a large fitness center
Operator Technician/Line Leader (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, OHApril 30, 2014
Work days could be long and frustrating or smooth as silk. Direct Management was more a person relaying information of many kinds as well as our first line of communication concerning production matters. Also a trainer / leader but never looking over your back dictating orders. Never ending opportunities for learning. Computers many with their own purpose and functions, mechanical, electrical, communications, SAFETY, operation of automatic machinery including what made each and every part function. A very diverse work force. Being a team making our own decisions toward our production goals was good. However when machines aren't running properly spending sometimes hours figuring out why was difficult. But never give up and all team members could have input.
Pros
great salary and benefits lots of perks i.e.picnics, holiday parties, small rewards
Cons
shifts were 12 hours including night and day shift schedules
My Former Mentor/Boss let me take the ball and run with it increasing level of packaging design and print innovations to win at shelf.
Sr Graphic Production Mgr, Strategic Brand Design (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2014
Great company to work for. I left when my most favorite Director retired (knew it was time for me to move on too) someone was brought in from the good old boys club who I knew had a very long and questionable background amongst all the high end suppliers in the industry... Too bad Colgate did not know about his history of shaking down vendors/suppliers so they could retain business. Sr Mgt finally caught up to some of the more obvious antics and fired the person who hired him and then only demoted demoted him because of ethnic and age background. Unfortunately I was long gone when this finally happened = Thank GOD...
Pros
fun to come to work each day, there was always a challenges, always pushed to pursue new technologies in design/print production with new suppliers
Cons
the very best department director that colgate ever had retired
Conservative, Restrictive, Political, Downsizing
Global Information Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, OHJanuary 30, 2016
Work Life balance is good, workload comes and goes depending on projects and time of year.

The company offers great exposure to global projects and you can progress if you are willing to relocate.

In IT they follow a very rigid set of guidelines and standards, audits are common. There is no room to be creative in the IT arena.

Lower level managers are not empowered to make decisions and the work environment is definitely not google. You need to wear plain black or blue jacket to climb the ladder.

The company is moving its technical pool overseas. Any IT positions left outside of the business centers will be Project and Third Party management focused. An IT position outside of the main office or a business hub will not offer a lot of room for advancement unless you relocate
Pros
good benefits, pay is not bad, some flexibility
Cons
conservative, restricting, old school, management does not listen or communicate well
team enviroment, interacting managers, fitness room
Dry ingredient mixing & blending technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INNovember 6, 2014
I would have a preshift meeting going over the operation of the equipment and task that I was taking over for, communicate with my team members as to what we will do to help the problem that they may have had that evening, head to our work location and check out equipment for safety and operating purposes. Hardest part of job was trying to get your full lunch in at one time slot because, you were always busy,I liked most everything about my job the responsabilitys i was given while following company guidelines and policies. i enjoyed working with other people who were commited to their job and they enjoyed it also. That would be my most enjoyable part.
Pros
company store discounts, fitness room, free give aways, health insurance
Cons
finding time for breaks, working 12 hour shifts then switching back to 8 hours.
Pleasant Working Environment
TECHNICAL WRITER (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJuly 16, 2012
Each day I would come in and research different lab procedures through reading, working with techs, and engineers, and studying prior procedures. I would then begin reformatting and rewriting the SOPs so that they were up to date and user friendly. Although I worked often independently, my manager and I communicated frequently and he kept me aware of my time frames and provided the necessary materials so that I may meet my deadlines.The technicians were very friendly and helpful, and I never had any problem talking or asking questions.The hardest part of the job was just familiarizing myself with some of the terminology, and working with proper calculations and conversions. Overall, I enjoyed the location, and the atmosphere of Colgate-Palmolive.
Pros
the cafeteria was awsome, and i loved the discount on the product line, it definitely came in handy.
Cons
i enjoyed this job alot.
Processed Faxed Orders for Clinics across the country
Fax and Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 7, 2013
After booting up the computer and logging into Avaya, I would log into SAP as a fax agent. I learned how to communicate with the warehouse through Lotus Notes (Sametime contacts) and send messages to drivers through Xatanet for shipments to particular locations. Alaska and Hawaii included, as helping with drop shipments and cross-docks. If a particular warehouse was out of a product, we would have to conduct an alternate source procedure and pull it out of another warehouse that was somewhat close. Management was easy to work with, breaks and lunches were mostly on time and getting hit with multiple orders before the "breaks" were the toughest part of the job. I enjoyed the people that I worked with, getting to solve "out of stock" issues and keying credits for particular offices.
Pros
4-10 hour days
Lots of hard, satisfying work in a conducive environemnt.
Technical Manager and Environemntal Co-ordinator. (Former Employee) –  KingstonJuly 29, 2013
The Technical Department starts work at 6:00 am along with the rest of the factory. Samples of all materials which make up the final product have to pass through the Technical Department for approval and we also have to sign off on the final product before it goes to market.
I learned that when people work as a team, there is nothing that they cannot achieve.
Apart from my immediate staff, I particularly liked the Marketing Staff. We put their concepts on the shelves.
The hardest part was saying goodbye to old friends and colleagues.
The most enjoyable was seeing products that you gave birth to grow, mature and become market leader.
Pros
unlimited toothpaste at company commissary.
Has been 12 years
Analyst, Technical Support Center (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 24, 2013
a typical day at work in the beginning of my employment was working in the Warehouse Office managing the day to day operations of providing Pick Lists and Bills of Lading to truck drivers. I did some inventory management work and also provided the release of the product one we received the approval it had passed all quality testing. Then we began to implement SAP and I worked with the Business Teams to design the business process and transaction codes that would be necessary to perform the Production Processing in the Plant.
Management was good to work for and the co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was leaving to move to Racine, WI. Again, the most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction between the end users and the Management Teams. I am a people person.
Great Company with true work-life balance, and great benefits
Oral Care Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2013
The company is great and the products we sell are top notch. The work day varies, because there are always different business opportunities and clients who need servicing occuring. The management team seems to turn over in some spots quite often, but the upper level managers have long tenure. I believe this is the reasoning for us being reactive to the competition as compared to proactive. The hardest part about the job is making sure that the follow up time is quick and that you stay on top of call notes so that business does not decrease. The most enjoyable part is knowing that the products we sell help people have beautiful, bright, healthy smiles.
Fastpaste workplace enviorment
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Guaynabo, PRMarch 26, 2014
Visiting accounts “stores” in an assigned territory or in a given geography for a key account in order to achieve sales.
Negotiate 5Ps (Product, Price, Promotion, Placement, and POP) with customer and monitor their execution at store level / Prepared monthly summary reports of company gains, loss and delinquent accounts.
Provide customer service through a proactive, positive and personal approach.
Efficient execution of the order fulfillment process.
Ensuring complete delivery and on time, achieving purchase order to invoice.
Resolve order management, deductions and collection of oversight of inventory analysis planning including: management of refusals, transportation and delivery. Assigned Accounts: K-Mart, Capri, Walgreens & El Amal.
Cons
health insurance, company car, commisions compensation
Relaxed atmosphere and very family oriented company.
Relocation Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkApril 20, 2012
Enjoyed the professional and friendly environment. Enjoyed working with all levels of management and learned how to prioritize workload and deal with deadlines. Worked closely with various departments and had heavy interaction with co-workers in other areas of Human Resources. Most difficult part of my job in Human Resources was dealing with terminations and conducting exit interviews. I enjoyed mostly the diversity of the people and the many cultures that made up the talented workforce at Colgate-Palmolive.
Pros
flex work hours, half days on friday, great comprehensive benefits, employee activities committee
Cons
the distance to travel to work was over one hour
Traditional CPG marketing training including politics
Associate Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 25, 2015
Garnered strong analytical training in traditional CPG marketing. As marketer on commercial side implementing product launches (as opposed to innovation team), sacrificed work-life balance in process. Worked most weekends in addition to long days in office. Typical smart colleagues with strong b-school degrees get rotated regularly through different businesses. High turnover in marketing, whereas other functions in company are more stable. Those marketers who are best at presentations and politics fare best in company. Process-ridden and bureaucratic--be prepared to spend lots of time reworking presentations when not in back-to-back meetings.
Pros
F500 benefits
Cons
Lack of work-life balance
Encouraging, results driven organization
Global Supply Chain Intern (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJuly 16, 2015
As a Co-op, most of my day was spent independently working to help finish a wide variety of projects on time. The chances I got to work as part of a team towards a specific goal were especially rewarding. It was a very challenging position, as I was constantly charged with different tasks, many of which I had to learn about on-the-fly.

Management was very understanding, and always understood any delays that might occur as part of the job, and were always available to either help me directly or point me in the right direction should I encounter an obstacle I couldn't conquer myself
A great place to develop forklift skills
Forklift Operator/Order Puller (Former Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GANovember 23, 2015
On a typical at work I pull orders load and unload trucks. I was blessed to learn a new skill using an RF scanner and developed my order picking skills as well as my forklift maneuvering skills. Management was great, showed appreciation for the work that was preformed. My co-workers was great as well. Very friendly and willing to teach atmosphere. The hardest part about my job was working the grave yard shift. The most enjoyable part was the challenging and competitive spirt of my co-workers to reach highest times and numbers of production. Being I'm a very competitive and love a challenge this was perfect for me.
Pros
Developed my skills as forklift operator
Cons
No excitement. No team No advancment
Well compensated for tedious work
Research and Development Intern (Current Employee) –  Piscataway NJNovember 14, 2014
My position tends not to have many challenges involved. I have been working on the same project for almost two years and do not do much analysis or thinking. The position could be filled by anyone willing to do a tedious task and needs little to no knowledge of fundamental chemistry. Job includes mostly taking and recording data.

Work enviornment isn't too bad. Most employees are a bit on the older side and the culture is very relaxed. However the employees tend to be more on the conservative side as far as social interactions are concerned.
Pros
relaxed work enviornment
Cons
maticulous work
Care for their employees, great training programs & great opportunites for personal growth and andvancement
Global Master Production Planner/Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INDecember 13, 2014
I loved working for Hills-Colgate Palmolive. I regret leaving this company just for the opportunity for more money and new growth opportunity.

They care about their employees. Culture is one of positive recognition, mutual respect, work/life balance, and personal growth and development opportunities.

They have strong processes that support continuous improvement, work procedures, and problem solving.

Very well managed, structured, and focused on the success of not only the business but their employees.

Can't say enough good things about my experience and this company!
Pros
great culture, personal development and pay
Great people to work with. Long hours. Management changes frequent.
Plant Processing/Project, - Sr. Engineer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INJanuary 2, 2015
6am or 7am start day ending at 5pm or later depending on needs.

I learned a lot about "Supply Chain" budgets, and manufacturing in general. What all goes into putting product on a shelf..

In management, decisions are hard at time, but it is always better to be upfront and truthful to employees.

There were many changes happening at the same time.

The most enjoyable part was the laughter that surrounded the people that I worked with. They are very good people there.
Pros
good people
Very satisfying work and company treated people with respect and dignity
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 4, 2014
Lab testing on all finished and raw materials, micro testing, sanitation, creating documents; I learned how to run several pieces of lab equipment; co workers were friendly, knowledgeable and easy to get along with; the hardest part of the job was ensuring that product was tested correctly and in a timely manner for production needs; most enjoyable part of job was everything - I immensely enjoyed working here, the people were great and the pay was exceptional.
Pros
pay, benefits, great environment
Cons
facility was far from home

4.4