Collective Goods Employee Reviews

Display representative
Display Representative (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 21, 2016
Books Are Fun is a great place to start your business and have all the help of a large corporation. I dont have inventory expense or collection issues. I get marketing, training and management assistance. If you are self motivated and organized then you will succeed in any area.
Pros
No cost for inventory and great name recognition
Cons
can cause long hours if your schedule is full
Good people but hositle enviroment
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COFebruary 29, 2016
Hard work
good times with co workers
but received no back up from managers
every day learning more
speaking to customers
Pros
some early days
Cons
never guaranteed 40 hours
Overall Great place to work
Assistant Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDSeptember 3, 2015
-Managed account and account sales on a weekly basis
-Traveled to various schools in the county
- Marketed new Products and books
A verry rewarding place to work
Field Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorba LindaAugust 25, 2015
There was a great sense of personal satisfaction working at this company. The customers I met and the people I worked with were all very professional and a joy to work with.
Like working independently
Independent Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Louisville, COMarch 29, 2015
Able to work from home, but spend a lot of time on the road. Have summers off because of working in schools. Hard work and very physical. Like it very much.
Very Challenging and highly time consuming requiring very long days
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 17, 2015
Generally, a very consuming schedule once the event is being conducted(usually in excess of 12 hours).

Learned how to organize and satisfy the contacts(at the locations), and the customers(attending the event).

Provided the opportunity to be creative and inventive in the conduct of the events;which was one of the most satisfying accomplishments of the experience.

This creativity needed to be used in everything from the advertising,conduct of the event,hiring /training of the helpers and tailoring the event for each of the locations to provide the most successful sale. Motivation and coordination of all the features to make everyone enjoy the event and pass the "Good Vibes" to the customers and their willingness to search the inventory and find something to buy! to support the sale.
Pros
Short -term event oriented work experience.
Cons
Long hours(well in excess of 8 hours per day)
awesome company to be independent contracted.
Corporate Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Louisville, COJanuary 4, 2015
Awesome company. For an individual that is self starting and unconcerned of a typical work environment. Managers, Salesmen, and basically any hard working individuals in general can do very well for themselves with Books Are Fun. Marketing team does extremely well with their telemarketing and scheduling of events. Technical support is phenomenal. Regional Management is an excellent support system for common occurring problems whether minor, or major.
Pros
self worth. independence.
Cons
transient lifestyle. spontaneous.
Best job ever!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 30, 2014
Loved this job! It enabled me to meet many new people who I worked closely with, and work my own hours.
You will love your boss; you are self-employed!
Major Account Rep (1099) (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 5, 2014
I have worked twice for this company as a corporate rep. The work days can be long but you also know you'll be making money if you're doing book fairs. The work can be physically demanding but you have a wealth of experience to draw from so you are not reinventing the wheel. You'll need a reliable truck, an enclosed trailer with a ramp door, and a storage unit. Depending on the accounts you start with, you'll need a little staying power until commissions are paid. BAF paid good commissions and NEVER missed a payday. This can be a great opportunity for the right individual. I recommend BAF without reservation.
Pros
Income and the amount of time off
Cons
Gas prices, wear on vehicle and crazy long hours during parts of the year.
Delivery
Book Delivery (Former Employee) –  Gold Canyon, AZJune 5, 2014
Delivering books all over the state, was a fun job. No benefits and paid my own taxes.
Books Are Fun is a busy book distributor for Central Indiana schools
Display Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, INMay 31, 2014
On a typical day of work I delivered or picked up 12-18 totes of display for school personnel and community to purchase. While I worked there I learned 6 weeks of routes & to drive a box truck. i enjoyed working with the distributors while expanding their routes. Being a small company most of us saw each other in passing only. The hardest part of my job was driving & delivering during inclimate weather. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting the school personnel wit nw display merchandise & delievering orders for people.
Pros
nice discounts, acive work
Cons
salary position only during school year
Not a company to work for
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 22, 2014
Dropping of book displays, following up the next week to receive orders and fill them that day. I've learned never to work for this company. Management trying to "motivate" you to earn more school accounts, but they never "had your back". My husband was my co-worker. We were independent contractors for this business and I quit my job to support him when he got school accounts. Hardest part of the job was moving 6 times in 5 years because they kept changing our territorties. Enjoyable part, being "independent" choosing the schools that provided income and dropping the ones that didnt.
Pros
Being independent.
Cons
Moving all the time.
Fun and interesting place to work
Book Fair Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  WE did onsite book fairsDecember 28, 2013
I had a great time working for this company and wish it was still possible to do so .
Pros
Great place
My Experance at Books Are Fun
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, GAOctober 13, 2013
This was a family operated business. I loved the hours I had while working as a representative for this company although some days could be long. A typical day consisted of me delivering orders to schools and collecting the money for those orders. For the most part I did this alone and I had a break between driving to each location. The hardest part of this job was Thursdays when our shipments would arrive. Unfortunately this came to an end when Frank Mitchell was told he had lung cancer. He no longer was able to keep the business going.
Books Are Fun is a fun and great place to work
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Millbrook, ALDecember 20, 2012
The work is not very strenous but you have to be patient with the customers.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
health care
Meet great people, busy days, freedom
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 2, 2012
My typical week is 1/2 the week setting up book displays at businesses and schools and the other half is supplying the orders and making calls. After I'm done with my day, I usually spend a 1/2 hour e-mailing my customer follow-ups or to let them know I'm coming in a couple days to set up.

Since working with Books Are Fun, I learned that I've wanted to get further involved with the business, but can't do much since their isn't a way to move up. I've become more involved with promoting the business through the internet and trying to create the buzz on social media sites and creating our own little site to promote our sales team.

Management is great. I haven't had any issues with bringing up ideas or thoughts to help out. I'm trying to get him, as well as, the entire sales team on the same page with becoming more technically sound. The business, in general, is still a pen and paper one, that I feel can become an iPad/Smart Phone business to save on the cost of paper and such.

The job itself isn't hard unless a customer isn't prepared for you the day of the delivery. That situation can put you behind the 8-ball. A rainy day makes it very tough as well, because of the need to juggle inventory from my vehicle throughout my delivery days.

The most enjoyable part of my day is the freedom. My manager doesn't call other than to check in on the day and see where I'm at. There isn't any pressure on sales, cold calls, or numbers.
Pros
low stress, good paying job, summers off
Cons
lack of technology, no job advancement
Very enjoyable place to work with friendly people
Book Display Representative (Current Employee) –  Blytheville, ARJune 29, 2012
Travel daily to city and county schools setting up book displays for teacher sales. Working with knowledgable people while meeting many friendly and interesting teachers and administrative staff.
The hardest part of the job was constantly lifting tubs of books and gifts for the display. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting so many new people and the travel from one school to the next.
Pros
able to have flexable hours if needed. job was finished for the day when my work was complete.
Cons
no healthcare or other benefits