College Summit Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Job security is not secure
Digital Communications Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2016
College Summit was a great place to work at until they decided to make organizational changes and eliminate key positions two times with-in one year. Moral was dismal and every employee was constantly worried about their job.
Pros
Employees
Cons
job security
College Summit - Makembe
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 19, 2016
I was a temp at College Summit and was thrown in dysfunction and poor management. I was under a lot of stress and they didn';t even take me on full time.
Productive workplace
Alumni Leader (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 6, 2016
- Participated in workshops to encourage and educate rising high school seniors about the process of applying to college.
- Increased the college enrollment rate of students from low-income backgrounds.
- Explored personal development areas by participating in the Alumni Leadership Development Program.
Fun and Rewarding !
Alumni Leader (Former Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaJune 23, 2015
Amazing Non - Profit to work and volunteer for! Everyone believes in the College Summit mission and providing college-going culture to students in low - income communities. Everyone stays at a college campus usually freshman dorms.This was the hardest part because many volunteers forgot they volunteered with a non-profit! Some believed they deserved far better and were far more demanding than the students.
Pros
Amazing network, rewarding, fun enviorment, wonderful staff, diligent individuals
Cons
volunteers can be hard to work with, long days, little sleep
Family Style Workplace
Rap Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2012
A typical day in College Summit consists of long hours, yet rewarding, exhilirating, emotional, tumultuous and unforgettable. Working to create a college going culture in urban cities across the country is the most satisfying work ever. Doing it for a company that lives up to its mission statement is more than a bonus. Spinning perspective for a room full of hopeful teenagers with the world at the tip of the fingers can be unnerving because you must first take the possiblity walk that you're now inviting them to take. College Summit places as much into its staff as it does it students. So, the managment style is personable yet professional and fair. Being paired with a team of people whose mission is the same as yours is easy work-there are some challenges when ideas aren't agreeable but one thing the company has done well is to keep its staff memorable of the mission such that professional things aren't taken personally. The hardes part of the job is giving when you feel you don't have more to give and the most rewarding part of the job is seeing that 1st generational student go on to benchmark success for his/her family by completing high schoo and going on to complete a college education. Overcoming such obstacles for many of these students before College Summit never seemed possible but afterwards well they become their proof.
Pros
everchanging, evolving work
Cons
politics
challenging and good experience
Alumni Leader (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 13, 2012
I worked with 50-60 High School students during both 3 day workshop. The whole program objective was to encourage inner city students to go to college and showing them the available resources to fund their college education. I got to help students with advice related to college since I myself am a college student. The manager was fair and encouraging. Most of the time me and coworkers were trusted to work alone with the teens and lead them in the next college related activity. I enjoyed getting to know the teens at the workshop that I still keep in contact today.
Pros
free room and board. free time to relax and explore.
Cons
long hours from 8am-12am
Rewarding work
Trainer/Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 17, 2015
Changed my life for ever. The program is amazing and what it does for the youth is incredible. Loved working there with them.
Very fun and when on the field your looking at long nights and early mornings,but its all worth it if you have your heart in it.
Alumni Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkNovember 29, 2011
I love working for this company. They make you feel like family. A very strong mission for this company that I feel will effect the whole world one day. If you want to make a difference in someones life then working for College Summit is a place for you.
Pros
travel to different college campuses, teenagers
Cons
long days
Productive and fun working environment.
Alumni Leader Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 4, 2014
I have learned to train and manage teams. I have learned to facilitate sessions. My co-workers were awesome and were all about developing each other. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the youth in inner-city Miami.
fun work environment
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2013
Working with a non-profit, helps you gain an appreciation for the community you serve

During the workshop season inspires you to go out in the world and do great things.

It is an excellent start for college students with no work experience
Pros
will have you missing travels, high school students and stories
Cons
working with a strict budget
Productive, organized, fun work environment
Workshop Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 14, 2012
I really enjoyed working for College Summit. There is so much opportunity to learn and grow personally and professionally. The staff is very supportive of ideas, thoughts, and feedback. The students in the program were awesome. This was a great opportunity!
Community based organization with a great purpose
Community Engagement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2013
This was a non profit organization that was centered around providing an outlet for inner city kids to transition from High School to College by letting them go to summer workshops. It was a great experience working with the kids and the employees as well.
Work with amazing students
Director of College Counseling, Nationwide (Former Employee) –  NationwideMay 2, 2012
College preparatory program designed to help first generation students attend college. Intense 3 day workshops located across the United States. A good opportunity to increase skills in counseling and college admission.
Pros
student advising
Cons
long days
Working for College Summit is always an amazing experience!
Alumni Leader (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 10, 2012
College Summit was an amazing experience when I was a student & its an even more rewarding experience being able to come and give back to the program as a member of the staff! one word that best describes the work of college summit is IMPACT!
Encouraging, nurturing environment
Alumni Coordinator/Rap Director Trainee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 13, 2012
Helping inner city youth understand their worth in this world. Encouaging them to be more than a statistic. Fascilitating group discussions on life and how to make positive changes.
College Readiness
Certified Youth Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 28, 2012
The most enjoyable part of the job were to see so many youth saying "I want to college and I am ready to be informed." Being apart of an organization that changes the lives of youth on a daily basis is awesome to me.
Very awesome work experience.
Alumni Leader (Current Employee) –  all over CaliforniaApril 23, 2012
It taught me so much about life, youth, and giving back. We work with under privileged youth and prepare them for college. its a 4 day over night shift on a college campus where we live in dorms and host workshops.
Fun and Hardworking Experience
Peer Leader (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst NYJuly 30, 2014
I attended a workshop for high school seniors in learning the college application process and how to teach it to others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at College Summit. Our community is ready to answer.