College Works Painting Employee Reviews

Great Starting Point for Gaining Sales and Business Management Experience
Local Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 19, 2017
The internship itself is very challenging to where you do your own door-to-door marketing to build your pipeline of clientele. Once you break the sale with different home owners, you can then budget in recruiting for your own employees to help complete the job for you. This is where you can develop business management experience with recruiting, payroll, budgeting, and motivating employees.

Because your compensation is based off of how many home owners you paint homes for, what gets factored in is your work/life balance and compensation.
Pros
Gain experience and knowledge
Cons
Compensation, Door-to-door marketing
"Relationships are everything"
District Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2017
Working with college works was the best investment to my professional growth that I was fortunate enough to experience. The opportunities earned were unparalleled by anything available to me both when I was still in college and my first year after my undergrad. Additionally, the company culture was amazing and I got to work with an extremely talented group of driven, young professionals, which was exactly the type of people I wanted to surround myself with. Taking that leap into the unknowns of entrepreneurship was the best decision I ever made.
Pros
mentorship/professional development, "work hard, play hard, have fun"
Productive culture with room for advancement
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, COOctober 28, 2016
Management is very professional and helpful. Great company culture with a lot of like-minded people. I enjoy helping college students like myself get ahead and in their careers early on. Overall very beneficial program for those that are willing to put the time and effort into it.
Pros
Flexible schedules, culture
Cons
Door-to-door
Lots of pros and some cons
Painter/marketer (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 18, 2016
Working for College Works Painting as a painter/marketer is something that, although was very rewarding and I'm very glad I did, I don't entirely plan on doing again. Kind of like a one-and-done situation. Work was very demanding but could be fun.
Pros
fun/considerate management, flexible schedule, positive job culture, lots of career opportunities
Cons
marketing (waste of time), pay system took forever, unclear management requests
Great for the determined
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 12, 2016
This is an internship where things start off at high intensity and doesn't stop. That's not to say that its too hard or impossible to get what you want/need from it. When you come out of the other side, after fully completing the internship, you find yourself as a person you didn't think you could be, with a new found respect and desire to further better yourself. I quite enjoyed the experience, the friends I made, the connections with the upper management, and due to the reference letters you acquire you are able to take a great first step into the real world. The work is hard, harder than you might expect, but the people who come into this internship are people with the same drive as you. You are never alone, the resources are limitless, and there is a huge work hard play hard feel. It is a must have experience if you want your future to start now.
Pros
Great life skills and fun
Cons
Hard work, but is needed
Great summer job!
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 9, 2016
I'm a college student so a full-time job was perfect for me. It was 40 hours a week monday-friday. Got a $1 raise every 2.5 weeks. Eventually my manager taught me how to do some upper management stuff as well as customer relations.
Pros
Outside, quick advancements, full-time
Cons
it's hot, hard work
Hard working environment with Exciting travel perks
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 19, 2016
As a district manager my days consisted of recruiting, doing speeches, interviews, marketing management, sales coaching, recruiting training, production management and customer service. It was a challenging experience and I have gained so much value from it. Hardest part of the job was the work load, I was counted on to perform many tasks and perform them well it was exhausting but I've learned so much. I truly enjoyed all of the perks of being able to travel. Ive gone to Vegas and San Diego with the company twice. Cancun, Mexico four times and am going to Canada this year too.
Pros
experience & events
Cons
work load, working long long hours
Painter
Painter (Former Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 13, 2016
You will typically work Monday through Thursday and will have a three day weekend. There are several incentives to make more money throughout the summer on top of your regular wage so the harder you work th more you make. The management is very friendly and easy to get along with. Overall very good summer job.
Pros
Incentive based bonuses
Cons
You have to work hard to make more
A flexible job that rewards loyalty
Painter/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Bothell, WASeptember 25, 2016
If you are a loyal and hardworking person, this job will treat you well. I painted a summer with College Works Paiting and stayed from start to finish. During which, I got multiple pay raises and with the conclusion of the season other job opportunities.
Pros
Great schedule, 4 days on/ 3 days off.
Cons
Long days, hard work.
Overall good experience as a painter
Painter (Former Employee) –  New JerseyNovember 2, 2016
I worked here this past summer, I would say overall working he was good. Here are the Pros

1. Branch managers are all very respectful and nice. They are younger managers but its pretty cool how they are learning how to run a business.

2. They have this budget system for partners where if you work faster you basically get paid more. Although not every painter beat budget, I did most of the time and I made a little more

Cons
1. Long days sometimes

2. Some times they are behind budget and behind jobs so theres a little bit more pressure on us.

3. In August it gets really hot.

Advice to Management

Nothing really specific. I would recommend this job to someone who just wants to make some extra money in the summer. Overall experience was good. I worked her for some extra money.
Enjoyable work environment with good pay
Painter (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 31, 2016
I worked for the North Carolina division of College Works Painting during the summer of 2016. I had never done any exterior painting before but I was able to learn quickly because of the extensive training from the manager. Also, the manager was actually a good friend of mine which made workdays more fun. If given the opportunity, i would definitely work for this company again. I liked how I was able to make more money on jobs that were completely in fewer hours then the budgeted amount of hours, which also motivated me to work harder and to produce quality work.
Pros
Gatorade provided by manager, good pay (more money earned for working harder), good training, easy communication
Cons
not a year round job due to cold weather
Fun summer job with a company that has a great culture.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 30, 2016
I worked as a painter for College Works Painting for a summer while in school at Ohio State. A friend of mine was doing the internship and was hiring. I ended up painting all summer for him and can honestly say it was one of the best summer jobs I had throughout college. We normally worked Monday - Thursday and had Friday - Sunday off. The pay was good, with incentives for bonuses and we normally hit them. It was a fun summer, that I got to work with friends painting houses. Its a good job for someone who doesn't mind working hard. After all the harder you work the more money you make.
Pros
culture, money, work environment
Cons
work around the weather
Why I Enjoyed My Time at College Works
Painter (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PANovember 10, 2016
The very first day, excitement and enthusiasm was shown to the employees by the project manager. Time was taken out of the day to make sure employees were properly trained on safety, use of equipment and techniques .

A typical day at college works consisted of showing up to the job site promptly at 8am. Inspecting equipment for deficiencies. Assessing what job needed to be done, was it a lead based paint house? or could we proceed without going through lead safety protocol? What areas need to be scraped? Are we priming?

Management did an excellent job assigning employees amongst job sites.

The hardest part of the job was getting over fear of heights. Other than that, work was repetitive, so I had the chance to really understand the process of prepping, painting and hitting measurable, attainable deadlines at job sites.

Thanks to my awesome job at college works, lasting friendships were formed and memories made.
Pros
Importance of safety, working outdoors, insight on tasks of management, co-workers, friendships
Long hard work, but rewarding overall
Painter/Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 7, 2016
I was a painter for two years with the company and I really enjoyed my time working there learning a trade. The hours were long with having to start at 7:00am and going to 6:00pm, but management always looked out for us to make sure were staying hydrated through out the day. They made sure to have everything provided to us and made sure we got our 40 hours in for the week. I learned a lot about painting and was eventually trained to talk with clients to show them how we were progressing on the project.

It was a great experience and I really enjoyed it.
Pros
Learned a trade, good bonuses
Cons
Direct Marketing
Great Place to Spend a Summer
Painter/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 31, 2016
I had a great time with my coworkers building new relationships and having fun. My boss and I got along extremely well and once a week as a unit we would all go out and do a fun activity together. The hardest part of the job was working hard in the summer heat but the most enjoyable part was the sense of satisfaction when a house was finally finished. I gained a lot of problem solving skills through this job as much of the job is using tools to get to hard to reach places.
Pros
Great envirnment, good benefits
Cons
Hard work
It's not designed for everyone, and chances are, you will quit.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 10, 2016
There's a lot of people that end up quitting just because it is SO much work, and even though they tell you this, and you'll hear it from everyone that goes through it, you won't realize how much work it is until you actually do it. It is a pain. If you're lazy, and not self-driven, chances are you won't do that well, and you'll end up wanting to leave.However, if you do decide to tough it out, you will learn how to work with people, and how to make sales. You will learn how to manage time, you will learn what you need to do in order to succeed. The people in the internship are super cool, and the managers are really funny (for Arizona at least) and they're all college students. It's a nice environment, but not made for everyone.
Pros
decent pay, time management skills, fun people
Cons
long hours, a lot of work, youll want to quit
Good job to build character
Painter (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 16, 2016
It's a good summer job. I only came in for a few days to help my buddy finish up a job he had and don't let some of these reviews fool you. This work stinks. It's hard, tedious, your out in the heat for long hours, and it's go go go. However it's good in that this is what builds character. It's a fantastic job to really get you to appreciate opportunities Kids have nowadays. For a man who needs to provide for his family not a good gig. For a kid trying to put away money for college? It's awesome.
Pros
Good pay, in my case I had a good manager.
Cons
Hot and long hours.
Extremely challenging but just as rewarding
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Bay, WIAugust 29, 2016
There are not many things more challenging than this internship. You are expected and pressured to give your all for every step along the way. Overall, as long as you are willing to put in the work, the benefits outweigh the cons one hundred times over. From the very start, you are told that it is very challenging and time consuming. The presidents and district managers give you all of the tools you need to succeed, but it is up to you to use those tools and take responsibility for running your own business. Some of the most rewarding aspects are getting the opportunity to interact with amazing people, having an outstanding resume at the end, and gaining more confidence than you ever thought possible. Along with that, this internship takes you on several trips for payroll events and teaches you how to hold yourself accountable.
Pros
life-changing experience, meet great people, gain confidence
Cons
time consuming, stressful
Hard work but one of the most rewarding internships.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 28, 2016
Being apart of this internship was one of the most exciting, challenging, and rewarding things I have ever done. The things you learn throughout the year with College Works Painting is something that you can not put a price tag on. Do not get me wrong, it was really tough at times, but when it gets tough, you have the support from your DM, GM, VP, and the President of your division. You have so many people to help you throughout the process. Overall, I would not trade my experience here for anything because it gave me a huge jump start to my future.
Pros
Experience, money, and culture
Cons
A lot of hours. (Worth it)
painting homes for clients.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 25, 2017
Very heavy labor job stepping up and down from ladders and from the roof tops also withstanding outside condition at long periods of times. Lots of prep work and coordinating of what needs to be painted and having detail eye for a great finish of freshly added new paint on the building of the home.
Pros
Great Benefits & Great experience on painting homes
Cons
Outside condition are exhausting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at College Works Painting. Our community is ready to answer.

College Works Painting Reviews by Location