College Works Painting Employee Reviews

Gutcheck time: you have it or you do not!
Senior District Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 9, 2014
From start to finish, College Works Painting challenges your work ethic and your integrity to complete what you start! If you have the mental capacity to follow through, you have the potential to succeed here. However, for those weak of heart and ready to give up the moment they do not succeed YOU WILL FAIL. I learned a valuable lesson, one similar to that of a childhood tale - this program is not a sprint. It is not how you start, but instead how you finish.

Outside of realizing the type of person I was, I did develop new skills. I was probably the most unorganized person in the world. I would just "go." I would not think. I would not structure. I would, "just do it," just as NIKE puts it. My district manager and the VP at CWP slapped me in the face with a new version of reality. The real world does not care about time or pure effort - obviously they matter as a fundamental to do well at anything in life. Sometimes you have to work smarter and not harder (Both of which are needed). So step one was restructuring my organizational skills.

After fixing a couple minor logistical things that needed attention (Getting a planner, file box, organizing class schedules, study time, etc), my "soft skills" were then developed. I am a very hard-headed individual where things in life seemed to come easy growing up. I was definitely arrogant and some would say "cocky." Going door to door and meeting with clients for sales definitely humbled me out! I had to realize that I wasn't going to be perfect at everything. I needed to learn how to leverage my time. I had to learn how to delegate
  more... tasks. Conceptually this was probably one of the more difficult challenges in CWP. In this business, and I would believe in every business, finding the right employees can be a challenge. They do not come immediately. Management is learning how to push when needed and how to pull when needed. It also includes having the fierce conversations, even if we're uncomfortable to do so!

I believe the most difficult obstacle I saw among my peers in CWP was how they responded to rejection. No one likes hearing the words, "No," or, "We are going to go with someone else," or, "We want someone more professional." These were all discouraging notions. But, at the end of the day I believe learning how to respond to failure is one of the most valuable assets anyone can acquire. It's like Michael Jordan said, "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

Finally, I believe that the most enjoyable part of this job was being surrounded by a ton of like-minded individuals that wanted to face a challenge. Everyone that chose to do CWP did it because they're not the type that wants to be complacent and wait for life to come to them. Instead, those that strive for success are attracted to join the ranks of CWP to establish a strong results-based culture. There will be managers that do 40k+ and there will be managers that do 100k+, both of which are an inspiration to me because they all faced their own obstacles and had the integrity to complete what they started. The people I was surrounded by will be carried on into my future regardless of where I end. I know that their are individuals like myself with drive and passion to grasp life into their own hands!
Pros
personal development, culture events, earning what you're worth, flexible schedule
Cons
learning curve, drive time
College Works Painting Intern Summary
Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 26, 2013
College Works Painting (CWP) is not an internship for the feint of heart. It is not going to be easy, and it is not going to be a picnic. It will, however, be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life.

You will have the opportunity to start your own business from scratch, but without all of the liability and struggle of building your own brand. CWP has built a multi-million dollar painting company over the years, and through this internship they are literally handing you that model. All of the keys to success are given to you, but it takes a person who is willing to work hard, persevere, and go out of their comfort zone in order to be truly successful.

On the surface, CWP looks like a sales internship, but do not let this scare you away. Yes, you will be doing door-to-door marketing. Yes, you will be calling your lead. Yes, you will be going to people's homes and doing estimates. But, that is just the surface of what you will be doing.

You are going manage marketers and painters as well. You will be responsible for doing screenings, interviews, hiring, training, managing, and paying your employees. Purchasing all needed supplies (on account) for your job sites and making sure that your employees are happy.

You will learn the true meaning of balance as juggling the expectations of your parents, significant others, DM, homeowners, and employees becomes second nature. Do not worry though, as you will have time for friends, family, and hanging out. 24 hours is a lot of time, and this internship will help define those tasks that are priority.

CWP will give you what
  more... you put into it. It sounds cliche, but it is the cold hard truth. This internship is designed to give students the opportunity to have a tangible experience that builds leaders for tomorrow. You will not be pushing papers, getting coffees, or doing data entry. You are going to learn skills that you will use for the rest of your life whether you are a business major, entrepreneur, or art major. Everyone can benefit from learning how to run a business successfully.

The most enjoyable part of the internship is two-fold: work related and summer fun related.
- Work Related: Design consultation meetings are the most fun out of everything else. This is where you will meet with homeowners who have already booked with you. This means there is no pressure, no sales pitch. Just you and the homeowners really getting to know one another. This is where I personally had meals with homeowners, got life and business advice, and hung out with the kids. The work part of this is colors are picked, expectations are set, and dates are picked.
- Fun Related: CWP makes sure fun is mixed in as well. Our group went high speed go-kart racing, played broomstick ball, hicked a creek to a waterfall, played paintball, went to an in-door trampoline event, and much more. These events are awesome and really bring the group of interns together as a whole.
Pros
mentors, environment, other interns, good pay, money extension (draws), learn business, true internship, relatable to all fields, life lessons learned
Cons
time consuming, emotional roller coaster, high stress levels (on avg)
Enriching Lifelong Experience
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 8, 2014
A typical of day at work is well atypical. Thats the part I loved most about this job is that its NOT your 9-5 desk job where you clock in and out and do the same mundane tasks every day. Any day could consist of any one of or combination of the following: calls, marketing, advertising, sales, management, training, networking, leadership, painting, hiring, interviewing, recruiting.

All of these things I was taught by professionals in each respective field. MOST IMPORTANTLY I learned EXACTLY what I wanted in a future career. I found that I wanted something I could work directly with people, work with my hands, work outside, minimal desk and secretary work, and DID NOT want a job with hourly pay, uniforms, clocking in and out, sitting at a desk, and i KNEW that I HAD to have a job that challenged me every day and allowed me to grow and develop as a person.

On top of these things you will also learn a higher level of time management, stress management, management styles, and dealing with a more demanding workload than college will prepare you for in terms of your actual future job.

The management of this company are so supportive of your growth. Literally its the life or death of the company- growth and development. This is one of the few companies built to consistently grow yearly and never become static. Not one level of management just does their "job" they are constantly training people to be better and to move up in terms of sales, commission, job title/position.

The people that you work with range from college students in the same position as you, people who have already
  more... been in your shoes and are teaching you, your painters you hire, the clients you gain, executives you meet, and guest speakers you learn from.

The hardest part of the job is keeping yourself motivated to keep performing. Everyone at every tier of the company must perform to keep their job. If you lose the motivation, you don't perform and therefore hate your job. Ex: If you hate door-to-door marketing and can't figure out a way to motivate yourself to do it, your business will go nowhere. If your too tired, sore, behind in school, lazy, (excuse, excuse, excuse) then you can't be successful here. This job demands high performing, highly motivated individuals.

The most enjoyable part of this job is that it is constantly changing and keeps you on your toes 24/7. Ive never had a day where I woke up as was like: "I'm not going into work today." or "I can't believe I have to work again and do the same things."

Your a business owner, you make your goals, your schedule, your level of success, your business track. Its 100% on you and I love that level of control on myself and the impact I chose to or not to make in my future.
Pros
pay, people, management, growth, trips, trainings, cancun, events
Cons
none of this is given to you or is easy, this is not for the weak hearted or the lazy or the entitled.
You Get Out of it, What you Put into it.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  New EnglandNovember 15, 2013
This is my fourth year with College Works Painting and I have seen students fail and succeed in the program. What is the difference between the two groups of students? It is simple, the hard work that they put into it. College Works is not your typical internship where you will be given a list of tasks each day, you are responsible for your success and if you choose to sit on the couch or wait for someone to tell you what to do, you will not reap the benefits you expected when you began the program. It is designed for students who want to think outside the box and be self starters.
I am part of the New England division where we had redesigned the business model of the program. Students do not hire any of their own painters or do any of the painting themselves (two of my initial concerns when starting the program). Instead, students have the opportunity to work on the business, rather than in it. When I started with the program I was a timid sophomore honors student in college who had always been good at things because I worked hard. Well, unfortunately running my own business didn't come as easily to me as school and athletics and it really challenged me. It pushed me outside my comfort zone and I fought it. I wanted to quit, I wanted to give up. As someone who always liked to be in control and micromanage everything, I didn't like not knowing all the answers or what exactly to do next. But I didn't, my coworkers never gave up on me when I struggled with time management and conflict resolution. They continued to work with me and push me to do better. After struggling my first
  more... spring with the program, I went into the summer with a new mentality of seeing the big picture and not sweating the small stuff. I couldn't always control everything, but I learned that communication was key to building successful relationships with clients. People work with people they trust, and as an intern with College Works you have 20-30 families trusting you with their home. When something goes wrong in your business, you cannot run away from it or hope someone else will fix it; you need to own it and take responsibility. So was I the best at everything I did my first year as an intern? No. But I can say I worked harder than any of my coworkers and was one of the top interns in New England. And I certainly learned a lot more and had a much better experience than the interns who waited to be told what to do and gave up when things got tough.  less
Pros
amazing culture and coworkers, work with very affluent clients, learn a ton
Cons
not everything will go as planned, you have to take initiative, it is hard work.
Worst company I have ever worked for
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 3, 2014
The recruiters talked about how you could start your own painting business. However, you were really just working for another manager, so it was not like owning your own business at all. Every day I would feel harassed by my manager about meeting their quota. They provided sales training, but I feel it was not enough. When I would do estimates for clients, I was not able to answer all their questions. I felt like I had inadequate training, and that made me lose a lot of potential clients. I also lost a lot of clients due to their ridiculous mark up. I couldn't compete with the competition because I would have to charge them at least double what the competition was doing.

The worst part of the internship was marketing. They kept saying the best way is to go door to door to get work. However, you would just get many doors slammed in your face. And to make things worse, for a period of time, each branch manager was given a section of the city and we had to stay in that boundary. So if you did not have a good section, you didn't have much work.

Another irritating part was that they said that you'd make a profit on your jobs. What they failed to tell you, is that you aren't supposed to start painting until the summer time. This was a major problem for me in many ways. Because of that issue, I lost potential clients because they wanted the work done right away. Another way it hurt me is that because of this internship, I had to stop working at my other job. This meant that I only had student loans to rely on income. You have to pay for all your own expenses like gas and marketing
  more... tools. I used gas so much that it quickly ate into my students loans. Another thing that they don't tell you is that the way they reimburse you is that they take it from your potential profits, which is not guaranteed.

Time management was another issue. There were two mandatory three hour meetings in which we'd have to call people and three phone meetings a week. On weekends, we'd have our estimates and knock on doors between our estimates. All of this consumed most of my time. My grades slipped and I put on a lot of weight because I only had time to get fast food.

Ultimately I decided to leave the internship because it was affecting my life in a huge negative way. The internship was hurting my health, my grades and the relationships with the people in my life. I think that College Works Painting glorifies this internship and forgets to tell you critical details upfront. Overall I felt cheated and lied to and I would never work for them again.
Hard work, amazing people/culture, you have to learn and earn.
Regional Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 19, 2014
In a nutshell, College Works is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it was and still is the most rewarding. It has been a crazy journey learning how to run my own business from the ground up in 6 months, then having this year as a Regional Consultant to run my own business with a team of interns that do what I did last year. In 6 months as an intern, I learned how to market and sell, communicate with clients, hire, train, and manage teams of employees, and manage several projects at a time. Although I wasn't very good at it at first and I wish I had received more guidance and training during my struggles in the summer, I know that I played a role in the challenge by not asking for more help when I knew I needed it. And despite all of the challenges in the summer time, I gained problem-solving abilities as I tried to do everything on my own. As an RC, the hardest part is learning how to balance life with work, but I've learned that it's all up to me to figure things out in that aspect as well.

Originally, I didn't want to come back as an RC due to the time that I knew I would need to put in amidst all of my college courses, but CWP opens up so many doors. It's a great networking tool, professional skill-builder, and personal life skills builder as well. There aren't too many college jobs out there that give you that kind of experience. Above all else, I work with the most amazing people I've ever met. I respect and look up to the VPs and my co-workers who put in so much effort into what we do, and it pushes me to be better every single day. The hours seem long, but at the
  more... end of the day, you decide how you want your experience to go in life and in this company. If you want to see success, you have to be efficient with your time and efforts. If you want to be happy, you have to be grateful for your opportunities. This company teaches you about choices.

College Works Painting isn't for the faintest of heart. It takes grit, the willingness to change, and perseverance to get through doing things that no one else wants to do, but it all pays off in the end. Would I do it all over again if I had to? Yes. Would I want to? Not necessarily - because it's hard work, but I would because I'm thankful for the growth I've made as a person and an entrepreneur, and this company is made up of great teachers and leaders that make the program what it is. Couldn't imagine where I'd be without this experience.
An excellent learning experience for those willing to put forth the effort.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaNovember 20, 2013
The College Works Painting internship was easily one of biggest challenges I have ever faced. As a sophomore in college leaning toward a business degree, I was looking for an experience that would expose my weaknesses as well as develop upon my inherent strengths. As a three-sport athlete in high school and having held a part-time job since the age of 14 (average of 20 hrs/week), you could say that an above average work ethic was built into my DNA. This was tested every day throughout the course of the internship. Being 100% responsible for the direct marketing, sales, and customer satisfaction of a small business was a true test of self accountability and personal responsibility.

Through the program I learned a wide rang of skills that are directly applicable to everything I am involved with today - outstanding organizational, time management and communication skills are a few of the many that were cultivated in this internship. As a senior in college (being the General Manager of the Minnesota division, taking 15-credits and managing a social life) these skills have helped me to a live a balanced life. The work hard, play hard mentality that the company coaches has become a personal value I live by every single week. Skill sets aside; the biggest thing that one can expect to gain is a self-confidence level that will surprise most that are determined enough to see this experience through to its completion.

Now don't think that I didn't have my own mountain of challenges to face here, because I did. But I assure you that the difficulties and set-backs experienced in this program
  more... are nothing in comparison to the perspective that is gained. This program is not for the weak at heart, but then again, is there anything actually worth attaining that is? I can promise that anyone who has the mental toughness and perseverance to complete this program will be happy in the end that they did. I highly suggest this internship to anyone looking to challenge themselves as a leader and looking to push the limits of what is personally possible.  less
Pros
high earning potential, invaluable real-world experience, amazing culture/co-workers, high levels of independence & personal accountability
Cons
difficult program, long hours, paid on back end
Learn what it takes to succeed in business, and in life
Regional Consultant (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAOctober 23, 2013
Pros – The skill set you develop by running your own business with mentorship is something that cannot be learnt in a classroom. From communication, to selling, to closing, to managing, to customer satisfaction, to time management, CWP puts you in a position where you are forced to step outside your comfort zone, and that is the best way to grow and learn.

The people you meet are all motivated and driven, and are a great network to know for the future. I was part of the company for three years from 2008 to 2011, and some of my closest friends today are all from CWP. Friends that work at top companies such as Google, Mogl, Salesforce, etc, all who owe much of their current success to College Works, all who helped me land the perfect job when I graduated.

The experience looks amazing on resumes. I recently graduated from UC Davis in September and was able to get a few job offers in the field that I wanted within a month. Everywhere I interviewed, the management was blown away by my experience and success with CWP.

The culture is one that focuses on results and working hard, but also rewards the top performers and makes sure to play hard as well. Some of my best memories in college were with College Works. Whether it was a trip to Cancun or Las Vegas, or a sales conference in a hotel conference room, CWP makes sure to make everything memorable!

Cons – If you are not a self-motivated, driven person who wants to achieve more than the other 20,000 college students on campus, this might not be for you. You will be stepping outside of your comfort zone, performing challenging yet
  more... exciting tasks, experiencing things as a college student that many people ten years in the work field have not. From interviewing marketers and painters to firing employees to balancing budgets to working 30 hours while going to school, you are constantly going to be put in a situation where your will and your drive will be put to challenge. You will have to make some sacrifices, which is the case whenever you take on a new challenge. You are in total control of your success, so if you do not put in the work or do not perform, you will not do well and will fail. This program is not for everyone, but it is for those who know that it takes both strong skills and hard work to succeed in this world.  less
How to successfully run a business, AND make a profit.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAApril 9, 2014
College Works Painting is a tough internship to figure. To many people it seems like a simple painting business, while to others it seems like only a business opportunity. While I agree that we are both, it was the proudest moment of my life when I ran a $60,000 business for the first time. Did I have my doubts? Sure, I thought about how hard this internship was every day, but it was that difficulty and competitiveness that fueled me to do better. When I take a difficult course within my major, I have no choice but to do well and that is the mindset that I adopted while at College Works Painting. Everyone at the program wants to be successful, but the hardest part about success is that it's only guaranteed if you work harder than you did yesterday. This internship is the single most important development in my life and I couldn't imagine how different I would be if I wouldn't have done the program. I am much more confident, outgoing and extroverted because I talked to clients, created relationships with them, and tried something new every week. It's so inspiring to hear that all of your bosses and co-workers have been through the same thing that you have, even the owners of the company were interns!! I am 21 years old, and about to graduate college and I am confident that I will get a job right out of college because I have experience that puts me ahead of anyone else. On that note, I also got 3 job offers from clients and their family last summer because they were so impressed with how well I had done the job.
So long story short: you will work with clients, use sales skills
  more... to book work and produce it, create networks within the company and with your clients, use budget analysis to create a successful business, successfully manage employees( yes I hired a friend, and yes I had to crack the whip sometimes), but above all, I went through an experience that I wasn't "qualified" for, and because of my management, training, and the constant support of everyone at College Works, I succeeded.  less
Pros
skydiving, cancun, trips in the summer, the company pays for us to have fun! and they pay for your business license, your contractor insurance, and all the marketing materials you need.
Cons
not a lot of contact with other interns until summer, a decent amount of driving.
Most enriching and empowering summer of my life
Intern (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZFebruary 27, 2013
I did the college works painting internship my freshman year of college. I found out about it through a clipboard that was passed around in my psychology class. I must admit that I was a bit skeptical at first.
Certain aspects of the program seems to good to be true. None the less, I was excited by the idea of being able to work on my own terms and make lots of money in the process so I chose to attend an information session. After being hired and going through a few trainings, the real work began on Super Bowl Sunday. With my district manager guiding me every step of the way, it wasn't long I felt comfortable going out and marketing the business and doing estimates on my own.

At first it was very difficult and since I wasn't obtaining my desired results I even considered giving up. But after I post my first job something clicked. From that point forward I felt very comfortable with the estimate process and became incredibly successful at it. In the midst of all the marketing and estimates, I was also taking 15 credit hours and working twenty hours per week at a part-time job. By the end of the spring semester I had booked nearly $80,000 worth of work.

As soon as school ended I started producing the work that I had booked. My roommates were my main painting crew and I also had two additional crews to help me with the workload. The first few weeks of production were rough as I had never managed that many people before. Once I got over the learning curve I was able to take a two-week vacation while my business ran itself At the end of the summer I had made close to $14,000 and
  more... had provided six people with full-time employment for the entire summer. I also got to travel with the company to Los Angeles to be on The Price is Right, go to Rocky point for a retreat, and be involved with numerous fun activities every other Friday when the entire division met up to do payroll.

The internship was very challenging at times but I am so glad I did it. It made me incredibly confident in my abilities not only as a sales person, but as a human being. I would recommend this internship to anyone who likes to work hard and play hard.
Pros
money, networking, personal growth.
Cons
stressful at times, lots of work during early stages
An effective program that develops young entrepreneurs and prepares them to be successful after college.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, CTApril 16, 2015
The program provides hard-working, and self-driven individuals with the opportunity to gain real-world business skills. Rather than sitting in an office over the summer or working an hourly part-time job, you have the opportunity to run a small business. In a short period of time, you see what it takes to get something started from the ground up without investing anything or taking on any of the real "risk" of running a business. By doing the program, you surround yourself with other ambitious individuals and will make connections that will last the rest of your life. I almost took a corporate internship with the Hartford or the Aetna, but I am glad I chose to do this program. Rather than sitting making cold calls or crunching numbers, I got to strategize how I wanted to get my business started and actually do the marketing and sales. And anytime I was stuck, I had my district manager, who I worked closely with, to bounce ideas off of and seek after for advice. If you are satisfied with sitting in an office all summer and merely watching an office run, then choose a corporate internship. But if you want to challenge yourself and leave a program feeling confident and prepared to be successful in business and life, this is the type of program you are looking for. And for those who want an opportunity for growth and advancement, all of the people running the company were at one point interns. Some of the most successful business people I know out of college are still acting as managers of different divisions of the company.
Pros
Free business and life training, guest speakers from a variety of fields (last year someone from Boston Red Sox came in), emphasis on time-management skills, most development comes from a relationship established with you and your District Manager, CEO's and VPs of the company all lead frequent trainings and are easily accessible
Cons
The program is challenging and requires drive and determination
Wealth of Knowledge
District Manager (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAJanuary 27, 2015
Learned how to build a business from the ground up.There were two different portions of the internship:
Spring and Summer.
Spring: attend "training" to learn how to sell/info abut painting and general structure of internship. Meet others interns. Learn script for going door to door to acquire homeowners names/numbers who are interested in painting and getting an estimate from you. Nighttime: gather in a classroom on campus three times per week during the semester and call through these numbers repeatedly. Weekends: spend all day going door to door trying to get as many leads as possible. Try to book upcoming weekend with estimates for clients. Mentor (DM) will teach you how to conduct a proper estimate/sell the job.
Summer: Attend one paint "training" where all interns get together and learn to paint on an unsuspecting persons home (they offer a discount to homeowner). Usually, a real company is called to fix the mistakes made on person's home. Schedule your clients painting projects. Put up ads on Craigslist to find people willing to work for $8 per hour as painters. Hire as many as possible, fire painters who are no good. The ones who are good usually quit after seeing first paycheck. Hire more painters. Repeat process bi-weekly until summer is over.
Sell and produce over $60,000 and go to CANCUN with other interns.

Most enjoyable part: Learning the responsibility of running a business. Thickening skin dealing with stress and angry clients/painters. Hardest part: painting the projects and finding painters who will work for dirt cheap. Fun part= selling jobs and hanging out
  more... with fellow interns.
Great learning experience.
Cons:You will not earn the money you were told you would. Nothing is ever as it is on the BROCHURE. CWP takes wayyyyy too much for overhead costs (40 cents on the dollar). The remaining 60 is left to pay for material, pay painters, and profit for intern. Usually the labor takes the majority of the 60%.
Pros
learn a ton
Cons
make no money
Amazing opportunity for growth
District Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2013
The program was enlightening to say the least. I learned so many valuable skills in a very short time frame. I would consider this internship a 6 month fast track MBA. Initially I was responsible to cold call and generate my own painting leads by going door to door. This taught me how to approach a diverse group of people and strengthened my communication skills greatly. Although this was my least favorite part of the job, it lead to my favorite, estimates. I would then set up the leads into appointments to sell a paint job to homeowners. At first it was challenging but once I got the hang of it I excelled. My communication skills were exponentially better after only a month, and my negotiation skills were even better. Overall my confidence went up tremendously and my success followed. During the summer was when the job became very intensive, I was responsible for hiring and managing my own crews. This experience in management was invaluable, most people do not get this kind of experience in management, and if they do its usually in their forties or fifties. To be able to gain and develop these skills at such a young age is incredible. Although it was very stressful, once completing the program there was nothing that phased me. One of the best parts of the job however was the people I had the opportunity to work with. All of the interns, district managers, VP's, and CEO's were all incredible people. It was amazing to see other young people who were so driven and talented to be the best, and it certainly motivated me to set high standards for myself. Hands down this is the best  more... program for anyone who is self-motivated and want to achieve great things in their future.  less
Pros
great money, free trip to cancun, free trip to califorina and vegas for dm's, network opportunties, opportunity for advancement
Cons
long hours during the summer, high stress at times
Changing the trajectory of my life...
Intern, District Manager (Former Employee) –  ArizonaMay 6, 2014
Before doing collegeworks, I felt like I had so much bottled up talent that I had no idea how to express. I was searching for a company that appreciated me, and challenged me, and I found it. It was the perfect experience for me because it provided structure and guidance to focus my skills, and improve on them constantly. I not only learned, but got to first hand implement marketing strategies, closing big contracts, and finally hiring and managing my own team of employees. I had so much confidence and drive after 2 seasons with collegeworks that I started my own company with one of my best friends through the program. We have since been in 2 retail locations, and we sell parts all across the world on a daily basis. I would have never had the opportunities, and mainly the confidence to pursue business at this level prior to my experience with the Collegeworks program. I also have a few friends from the program that I know will be lifelong friends because we have learned so much from eachother. To be quite honest, I learned a lot about life as well. I feel like I have a better idea of what I really want to do to be successful, and overall happy with my life. Throughout my entire college career at Arizona State University, Collegeworks was bar none the learning experience that taught me the most, pushed me the hardest, and had has had an effect on my life everyday since. It has been 4 years since my intern year, and I know I wouldn't be where I am today without the people and programs at Collegeworks Painting. Thanks for reading and visit Down 2 Mob.com to check out my business!
Pros
changes your life
Cons
all the cons turn into good things in the end. hard work, long days, lots of focus!
Learn how to run your own business, while building relationships
Intern (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 8, 2013
I really enjoyed my experience with College Works. It starts in the spring and then goes into the summer. During the spring you learn more about marketing and sales. Then during the summer you actually learn how to manage the business, while continuing your growth in sales. Even though you're running your own business (which is pretty independent), you're constantly building relationships.

The most challenging part about this internship was time management and comfort zone. Being a sophomore in college, I've never ran my own business before and I found it very uncomfortable. But at the end, I knew I wanted to learn the skills College Works had to offer and my district manager helped me see it through. This is what challenged me to be a better manager and an overall better communicator. I also had weekly meetings with my district manager to discuss my business but also time management. This was key for me just because I not only wanted to be successful in the internship, but also in my academics and extracurriculars.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I built with my team. Getting to know other people that had the same personality as me was really cool! We also had events throughout the summer that involved doing something fun. So not only did we get to discuss ways of how to improve our business, but also get to have fun together. Lastly, the trip at the end of the year to Cancun was awesome. It was definitely the most fun I've ever had in a trip or on the weekend.
Pros
cancun trip, fun payroll events, go big events, building relationships, pay
Cons
time consuming, phone calls
Run Far Far AWAY from this company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 12, 2013
Don't fall into this if you are a college student! This company tries to use college students as a source of (almost) unpaid labor. Sure, you can make a lot of money if you are an outstanding manager that can work with little to no resources and no real job training... (best of luck.) The recruiters are impossibly vague when you ask them for a job description up until they are already asking you to sign a contract. Basically, as a college student you are expected to dedicate 40-60 hours a week to building your own team of painters (with no help), marketing your business to people that have heard the same pitch every semester because every year college students are out trying to do this. You are supposed to manage your own profit and loss on supplies and materials while doing payroll for your employees, and somehow find time to do your own quality assurance and make sure the people you hired aren't screwing you over... Meanwhile, college works takes a cut of your income and only pays you if you are successful.

You can make more money working part-time as a sales associate in most department stores...

I'm not saying this as someone who has been screwed over or who failed at this program. I was offered this position and turned it down after doing extensive research and speaking with nearly a dozen students that I knew personally who had nightmarish experiences with this company. STAY AWAY!!!!
Pros
absolutely none
Cons
zero work-life balance, especially for full-time students. no training, no help from management, you do all of the work and train yourself and get a small percentage of the pay.
Work Hard Play Hard
Intern (Former Employee) –  EmporiaDecember 1, 2013
I ran my own branch of a multimillion dollar company. I sold and produced over $83,000 worth of work. I marketed door-to-door personally as well as hired and trained five other marketers. I personally scheduled and completed estimates with customers. I built rapport with customers while developing an approximate cost to satisfy their painting need I accounted for materials cost, labor cost, and markup for each job. I made sales presentations to customers. I created and managed my own production schedule. I managed my own painting crews. They consisted of three separate two man crews that were interviewed, hired, and trained by me personally. I supervised each crew on and off-site. I personally reviewed and approved completed work first with the painting crew then with customers. I managed payroll for my painting crews as well as managed other costs associated with the painting process. I did all this while finishing my last semester of college (18 hours) and working a part time job (20 + hours per week).

It was tough but I had a great deal of training and help from the companies many district managers as well as the vice president himself. I learned more than I could have ever imagined. I did stand out a bit as a top performer but I had many co-workers who continued to push me to do better throughout. We also have several company getaways or day retreats where the company pays for us to spend an entire day out having fun. The production checks are also pretty great.
Pros
real-world experience, great pay, free trips/getaways
Cons
it is not easy and can be stressful
Great opportunity for college students interested in business
Intern (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 5, 2014
College Works Painting was one of the best decisions I made in my collegiate career! At first I wasn't sure about how I was going to make time to grow my business due to the number of hours I was regularly in class, the 40+ hours a week I worked at my job, and also the amount of time it regularly took me to study to keep my grades where I wanted them. I explained this in my second meeting with my soon-to-be manager and after hearing about the time management train I would receive and that I would only need to put in 10-15 hours during the school week I was excited to get everything started. The training was long and intense but my manager was extremely helpful every step of the way and seeing how he had been in my shoes just one year prior, he knew exactly what I was going through and was ready to help. For anyone that has the work hard, play hard attitude and wants first hand experience in running a business without having to put up a single dollar of your own money to get started, this is the opportunity for you.

Of course, there will always be people who had different experiences and the people that gave up before really even starting. But for those who believe they possess a strong work ethic and the willingness to put in the work to win, I couldn't recommend spending one college summer of your time any other way.
Pros
1st hand business experience; led by peers, group trips for top performers
Cons
have to balance school with work, need access to a vehicle, unpaid until the summer when production starts
Extremely Valuable Internship Opportunity
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Grosse Pointe Park, MINovember 10, 2013
My favorite aspect of CWP was its competitive nature. Standings were posted on the company website in all aspects of the business: leads, estimates, sales revenue, etc. If you do not consider yourself a competitive person, just don't bother starting the interview process for CWP.

It was a difficult job. I was fueled by the competitiveness to other interns and also the desire to succeed on my own.

Reasons it was difficult:
1. I failed. Many, many times. Everyone does. The hard part was dealing with self-esteem impacting sort of failure like when I was disrespected on a neighbor's doorstep or when I was told my work was inadequate by a client. I suppose this happens in all areas of entrepreneurial-type business and it is important to pick yourself back up. This was one of many learned skills.

2. It was a whole new experience. I had no idea how to paint a house. Neither did my painters. You will be told not worry about it. And maybe you shouldn't. But it is hard to paint a house, and its especially hard to please a client, which you should worry about. It's a confusing circle that I still can't explain.

Important Note:
Whenever anyone asks me if I would recommend the program:
I say "Yes, absolutely. BUT, I would never and could never do it again. It is an incredibly valuable opportunity to learn how to problem solve and improve in all areas of business, but I would not have the motivation to go through it all again. It was exhausting. But it made me a better person."
Pros
acquired skills, very competitive
Cons
failure on your own
The potential for growth is unmatched by anything else out there.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WashingtonApril 9, 2014
I have been with College Works all throughout college so far. I started as a intern branch manager as a freshman and have continued for 2 years as a district manager, and I believe the environment I'm surrounded in truly challenges me to be the best I can.

There are numerous reasons why I started College Works and have continued to thrive here. First off the experience is a lot of fun, mostly due to the people I work with. Everybody I have met here (including CEOs, VPs, other DMs, and interns) have been great, highly motivated people. It's energizing to be around these kind of people. Also we have a lot of fun events planned throughout the summer so that we can unwind from our daunting tasks of running a business.

At the same time, I thrive in the competitive atmosphere of the company. Having the responsibilities of running a large scale business and managing over people means that my level of success is determined more by myself than anyone else. The potential for success and the possibility of failure is always present here, and I have full control of which route I take.

This is why I've come back year after year. I CAN fail, but I choose not to, therefore I succeed and grow. The growth I've seen in my abilities and even in my personality over the last 3 years have turned me into an adult ready for the real world. I feel prepared to graduate from school and have a successful career, and I have the challenging and supportive atmosphere of College Works alone to thank for that.