College Works Painting Employee Reviews in United States

This place is the worst
Painter (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJuly 7, 2016
I applied here two months ago it took 29 days before I got my first day of work which was only 30 minutes then 13 days later I get one more day of work for 4 hrs which after I got fired for no reason they literally gave me no reason just kept making up bull about switching me to a different branch closer to my house then eventually he said just look for another job and this is after I told him I needed money for my new baby and he kept promising and swearing I'll get 40 hrs a week I got 4 hrs in two months any and all good reviews left are fake if I could I would sue this place for all the false stuff they do
Cons
Worst job for any college student out there unless this is your specific field
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 25, 2016
College works in Austin, Texas has the worst management imaginable. Everyday is extremely different and can put you under hard stress, too much stress for the average (or even above average) person to handle. You learn excellent skills in customer service and how to stand up for yourself, but without a great support system you are more than likely to fall flat. If you are going to HOUSE PAINTING business, do it, but if not stay way. Stay far away. Better of doing an internship with any other company you an think of. Sales techniques are sleazy and yes this is a true pyramid scheme complete with backstabbing, manipulation, and exploitation. STAY AWAY
Another hardworking environment with poor management.
Painter, Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 25, 2016
I woke up at 5 in the morning to travel 45 minutes to the location for the day. I was usually the only worked on site because a lot of people quit due to poor management. I prepped the entire house, painted it, and made sure there were no areas to touch up all by myself for a week and a half. During this entire time my manager sat in a lawn chair and watched me do the work, only ever getting up to judge the work I had done. Also they consistently promised to bump up my pay, and never did. I called HR many times to try and resolve this problem, but was always put off and never could get to the person I needed to talk to.
Pros
Breaks were long
Cons
Terrible management, not flexible
Productive laid back work enviornment
Exterior Painter (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 18, 2016
Although College Works Painting taught me good work ethic and gave me good experience in painting there were many things that I did not like. We were paid minimum wage on top of a bonus if the house was painted faster than the allotted time. Many times during the week we would have multiple painters on one house, which than would give a skewed view of our bonus pay. My pay checks then turned out to have no bonus check money. This was the main reason I didn't return to the job this summer.
Pros
Long lunches, Freedom, Very Active
Cons
Pay information, Bad Mangement
it was hard maintaining.
Sales Rep/ Painter (Former Employee) –  DeKalb County, ILMay 9, 2016
i would wake up 2 hours before i was supposed to to make sure that i was up for the text from the manager about the job site. ( if there is one). then i would ride my bike to whatever job site there was. set up all the equipment and then proceed to paint or prep the site. work for 9 hours in a lead suit in the blazing hot sun. then ride home. the management was sloppy and inconsiderate. he was never organized and consistently was not taking the workers into consideration.the hardest part was working on ladders. the most enjoyable part was my co workers they were always making me feel comfortable and more than willing to help anyone who was struggling
Challenging Work with Lots of Potential Benefits
Branch Manager, North Shore Area, IL (Former Employee) –  Northshore ILApril 11, 2016
You got out what you put in. You made your own money. It gave a glimpse into what goes on in running your own business. There were annual regional meetings about every month that were fun breaks from working where the company provided an interesting fun location to do fun things (ex: paintballing, go karting, etc.)
Pros
Lots of experience in multiple categories
Cons
Long workdays
It's not designed for everyone, and chances are, you will quit.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 10, 2016
There's a lot of people that end up quitting just because it is SO much work, and even though they tell you this, and you'll hear it from everyone that goes through it, you won't realize how much work it is until you actually do it. It is a pain. If you're lazy, and not self-driven, chances are you won't do that well, and you'll end up wanting to leave.However, if you do decide to tough it out, you will learn how to work with people, and how to make sales. You will learn how to manage time, you will learn what you need to do in order to succeed. The people in the internship are super cool, and the managers are really funny (for Arizona at least) and they're all college students. It's a nice environment, but not made for everyone.
Pros
decent pay, time management skills, fun people
Cons
long hours, a lot of work, youll want to quit
Sales and team management experience
Branch Manager- Intern (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 12, 2016
College Works Painting has a thorough interview process to hand choose university students who go through training of how to create a unique branch of the company. I was given the responsibility of learning and employing the most efficient and effective marketing tools to reach more clients in my territory. I gained confidence in face to face sales as well as creating a portfolio of my clients, projects and skills to sell our service to clients. The most valuable lesson was learning how to successfully manage my time between going to school full time while creating this branch from the ground up.
Pros
Gaining confidence in my sales experience, time management and managing a team I had th sole responsibility of building and training.
Cons
Having to chase down resources for further training.
Highly competitive and self-motivating environment
Divisional Business Owner (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILApril 7, 2016
Marketing, Sales, HR. Production, and Finance roles when running your own service business from the ground up. Mostly individual work, and management of those you hire. Highly competitive with other interns in the area.
Pros
Huge management and business experiences
Cons
Commission reduced because of high overhead costs
Painter position
Exterior Painter (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILMarch 29, 2016
Working as a painter I painted exterior houses all day. The hardest part of the job was working through heat and high altitudes. The most enjoyable part of my job as a painter was the marketing section, in which I went door to door advertising College Works Painting. I gained skills regarding time management, communication with customers and painting talent.
Cons
Short Breaks
Its hard work
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 23, 2016
Its a really great job if you have a good manager because they directly affect your experience with it. Its not a job for lazy people and you have to be willing to work your butt off for sometimes more than 10 hours a day. theres not another job out there though that college students can make that much money, but it is commission so its not easy.
Pros
good pay if you work hard, can be fun, learn a lot
Cons
hard, time consuming, management issues
Terrible organization
Sales and Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Oregon City, ORJuly 23, 2016
They take advantage of their supposed Interns. Don't be fooled its not an internship its away for them to gain leads off someone thinking they will gain sales or marketing experience. Terrible terrible terrible.
Challenging But Very Rewarding
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Maryland/Washington D.C.July 1, 2016
CWP has easily been the hardest thing I've ever had to do. The amount of hard work that you put in, and difficult situations you find yourself in make your life busy and stressful for the duration of the program. The amount of time and effort you put in sometimes doesn't even feel worth it. But once you get past that and realize how much real world experience you are getting, you start to realize how affective the program really is. There is really no other internship or job that you can have as a college student, especially as a freshman/sophomore, that gives you the opportunity to get this much real world experience. Plus you don't have to do things like get coffee and make copies for someone in an office. The program definitely isn't for everyone, but that's okay. If you want to get real world business and life experience, and make some good money, and are willing to do whatever it takes to get through the program, you are going to get a ton out of it.
Pros
Great management experience and resume builder
Cons
So many miles driven
Amazing
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  MarylandJuly 5, 2016
This job will change your life if you take it seriously. If not you will fail. For the hard working, motivated and willing to learn, college works will be the best experience you ever go through as a college student period.
Do not work for them
Painter (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 16, 2016
I was fired after the first day because I made some minor mistakes. I told them before that I was inexperienced with the equipment, but they still gave no warning before firing me.
Cons
Terrible management
Did not enjoy
Painter (Former Employee) –  Sayville, NYJanuary 12, 2016
There were many places on the internet saying this entire company was a scam. When I arrived it was terribly run by a manager that had no experience in doing so. He was terribly late in signing me up for the payroll, and after weeks of pressuring him to sign me up correctly, I was able to get paid weeks after the summer ended.
It's basically a scam
Painter, Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 14, 2016
No, really, the "training" you receive is a six-hour workshop you take with 600 other people, you're required to do sales no matter what your job description is, and you'll be lucky if you get paid at all.
Pros
They'll hire anyone
Cons
You won't get paid
Strong Work Ethic Needed, great compensation if willing to work for it
Branch Manager/Intern (Currently District Manager) (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PADecember 6, 2015
Initially market your small painting business to customers in your given territory. Provide estimates for clients and manage customer relations. Hire, Train, Manage painters to produce work you have sold.
Pros
Money making potential
Cons
Long hours, hard work (but it does payoff)
Good if you enjoy painting. Decent pay for a college student
Painter (Former Employee) –  Albemarle County, VAJanuary 15, 2016
College Works Painting was a good place to earn some money on the side, it was good place to work and get exercise while doing it. A very accessible job to get, and gives you a good appreciation for work.
A fast paced, exciting environement to learn how to run a business
Executive Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 14, 2015
I worked for CWP for two years and had a great time. I learned what company culture should look like, how to run a business, and most importantly how to make money. This started as an internship and is not for the faint of heart, it is truly challenging.

If you work hard, prepare to play hard with this company. I have not since worked with a company that has had such a cool group of people to work with and learn from. There is a true sense of leadership wherever you look in this company.
Pros
Good training, trip to cancun, learn how to run a business, make good money doing it
Cons
It is difficult, takes up a good amount of time, have seen people walk away with a bad experience and no money

College Works Painting Reviews by Location