College Works Painting Employee Reviews

Be sure to keep asking questions through the summer
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 8, 2017
As a branch manager, I soared to the top 15 managers in sales for the spring. However, I experienced major burnout as I went into the summer to paint for the first time with very little training . They gave me advanced training and support for sales, but very little training for painting and training painters. This really hurt me. They also never explained the way the finances worked early on, so I shot myself in the foot by never creating a budget and goal. All in all, the sales training was phenomenal and great company culture. Creating goals, managing time and being an effective leader are all put to the test. I could have done more to succeed, but I let my burn out from the Spring get the best of me. Never stop asking for help, and make friends with the other branch managers, They will teach you what your DM doesn't.

Please note: you can make pretty good money doing this SO I HAVE HEARD. This was not my experience however due to poor management of my finances.
Pros
Excellent sales, and finance training
Cons
The hustle never stops, grind for 6 months straight.
Not fun
Internship (Former Employee) –  Northwest, OHOctober 23, 2017
The pay was terrible for the long days you put in and it was not anything like we were promised. The work was very tedious and if not done perfectly you were in trouble.
competitive and fun
Intern/Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 10, 2017
Through this internship I handled all aspects of a business such as customer service, hiring, management, marketing, customer acquisition and budgeting jobs.
Pros
great company culture
Cons
very demanding
A good place to start
Painter/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WAOctober 1, 2017
College works painting is a temporary stepping stone. It is a good way to learn skills and begin developing a resume. Getting in is easy, hours are abundant, and the pay is fair.
Pros
Lots of hours, no experience needed
Cons
Exhausting, often hot during summer
Difficult Place to work at, but if you put effort, it is worth your while
Local branch manager (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDSeptember 30, 2017
It is a very grueling internship where on some weeks especially during the summer you have to spend 40 + hours working. However, if your willing to put up the effort, then you will definitely see the results.
Terrible magagement.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 27, 2017
Absolutely hated it. Got under paid, terrible hours. Terrible management. If you messed up one little thing it felt like the world was ending. Boss was an not nice.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything.
This job is very laid back however it all depends on who your manager is, or essentially the college intern you work with.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WISeptember 26, 2017
The hours varied and there was no set times for when your day would end, however since you were constantly on your feet and doing something it made the long days short. Plus you get a super nice tan.
Pros
If your manager is cool they'll buy you lunch sometimes and they are super understanding.
Inspiring leadership
Branch Manager Intern (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 26, 2017
The most valuable thing I got from College Works was the inspirational work ethic. Countless seminars, simulations, and leadership development boot camps taught young adults what it takes to run a business in the real world.
Active work environment with lots of moving.
Account Executive / Team manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 25, 2017
A quick, relatively rewarding place to work with as many hours as your were willing to put in. The cold call marketing aspect lead to many unique social interactions, while promoting the use of speech and personality to build rapport. However, the management style of my branch was in distinct contrast to my personal approach to the work environment.
Pros
Active work place, frequent staff lunches/dinners
Cons
Stressfull work enviornment.
company with poor ethics uses kids out of high school as cheap labor. lack of quality control
Crew Chief painter (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 25, 2017
This company hires anyone who is able to paint. Most people don't know what they are doing and my pay is somewhat based on how fast jobs are completed. I was considerable faster then anyone else while maintaining high quality standards, but I was paid the same as someone who just started painting. The district manager and the intern I worked for were extremely immoral. I was told from the beginning that I was being paid more then I was and when I quit working for one intern she found ways to manipulate the system and take money away from me and my coworkers. The district manager told a homeowner that we could spray an oil based stain and cut the time it takes to paint his house. this made it cheaper for him. However oil based stains are too thin for sprayers and dont work properly. She then went on to tell my intern to use a water based stain instead. You cant put a water based stain over an oil base stain and if I didn't take a moral high ground and basically tell the customer my district manager is trying to screw you over, we would have ruined his house and that side may need to be replaced. I was the crew chief of a painting crew and the only moral capable person I knew over my 2 years working for college works.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
poor managers poor ethics terrible employees which impact quality and how much I can be paid
Painted houses
Painter (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 22, 2017
Painter for this company for most of the summer. My manager was pretty organized and bid jobs well. I got some management experience to being in charge of 2 other painters
Pros
got off on rain days
Not your typical internship
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Clintonville, WISeptember 21, 2017
You will be doing everything from nocking on doors to gain customer, to hiring employees and leading the projects in the field. There is little oversight from your managers and you will be put to the test. Not everyone makes it through the program, but the ones that do walk away much stronger and wiser.
Productive and fun place to work
Painter (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 20, 2017
It's a fun place to work. Everyone working for college works is mainly is colllege. So everyone, for the most part, gets a long and can relate to each other. Working outside is great. The management scystem is usually on top of their stuff.. Like myself, our crew always did a great job, even considering we're college kids.
Pros
Get a pay raise fairly quickly
Cons
Long days and drive long distances sometimes
College Works Review
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 11, 2017
Greatest learning experience that I've encountered with an amazing culture. Hands on company, hard working willing to push the limit on whats possible.
Pros
Learning experience, culture
Cons
hours
Straight-forward and easily learned
STUDENT PAINTER (Former Employee) –  Lakeville, MNSeptember 9, 2017
College Works Painting was a company that I had enjoyed working for. A typical day involved my driving 50 miles to our work location area that started at 7:00am four times a week. Generally each shift would be around nine hours long with a 30 minute lunch break, however, it was not uncommon to have a work day exceeding 10 hours. I enjoyed working with my boss and fellow workers. The hardest part of the job was learning about each new surface that we were working on. Each involving various amounts of paint or stain. The weather was also an issue at times, but that is to be expected with any job that is based outdoors.
Pros
Ways to increase pay.
Cons
Only one break on average
Great Summer Job
Painter (Former Employee) –  Jersey Village, TXSeptember 8, 2017
Overall, working with College Works Painting was a great experience. I had an awesome boss who taught us everything we needed to know and its not a really hard job at all. We were constantly busy, from finishing jobs to starting new ones, never a slow moment.
Pros
New skillset, meeting great people, awesome boss
Cons
sometimes it could get a little monotonus
Difficult but rewarding opportunity
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WISeptember 8, 2017
CWP is yes a very difficult job from time to time but few jobs are more rewarding. From being paid what you are worth, seeing a client cry because your work moved them, learning and developing as a person, or the amazing opportunities to come and have to far due to my experience being bigger and better without a college degree then those 5 years out of college now!
Pros
Money, culture, development, learning.
Cons
Work life balance can suffer sometimes
Hard but rewarding
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  West Bend, WISeptember 8, 2017
College Works Painting was my first professional job experience. Going into this position I was nervous but eager to make networks and build my resume. Personally, I loved the competitive yet collaborative work culture and mentoring provided by my district manager. Door to door marketing and sales were something that I had never done, but highly enjoyed. Producing work was incredibly difficult as you have to rely on your painters to be complacent and efficient. However, as difficult as production can be, it is always rewarding to witness how happy a homeowner is to see the new look of their home.
Pros
Strong work culture, collaboration, resume builder
Cons
Weather can limit work, have to depend on others to get the job done
Great company to work for
District Manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 8, 2017
During my experience with College Works Painting I grew as a person while building skills such as sales, marketing, management and work ethic. I met a lot of life long friends while getting the opportunity to network with other interns and coworkers from around the country.
Pros
Networking opportunities
Great Job to Have in College
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, COSeptember 8, 2017
This last year I worked as District Manager for College Works Painting.

I found the job extremely challenging and in turn amazingly rewarding. As a twenty year old I managed $550k of producible work and was personally responsible for roughly $180k of it. This didn't come easy. I worked daily, including some weekends to find myself putting in about 50 hours per week. This was by far the most difficult part of the job: the time commitment.

Working with multiple other people around my age as both a manger and a colleague propelled my growth exponentially forward. This is by far the most enjoyable part: the people, and the opportunity to grow.

Over all, the pay is good as long as you work hard and do your best. This company changed my life for the better and I will always be increasingly grateful for that.

Oh, and by the way if you work hard and if you earn it there is a trip to Cancun Mexico every year for top performers. So that's pretty cool.
Pros
Good Pay, Easy Networking, Fun work Environment, Strong Competitive Spirit, Opportunites to Grow
Cons
Time commitment, Takes a lot of effort, Requires Grit and Determination