College Works Painting

College Works Painting Employer Reviews

The potential for growth is unmatched by anything else out there.
District Manager (Current Employee), Seattle, WashingtonApril 9, 2014
I have been with College Works all throughout college so far. I started as a intern branch manager as a freshman and have continued for 2 years as a district manager, and I believe the environment I'm surrounded in truly challenges me to be the best I can.

There are numerous reasons why I started College Works and have continued to thrive here. First – more... off the experience is a lot of fun, mostly due to the people I work with. Everybody I have met here (including CEOs, VPs, other DMs, and interns) have been great, highly motivated people. It's energizing to be around these kind of people. Also we have a lot of fun events planned throughout the summer so that we can unwind from our daunting tasks of running a business.

At the same time, I thrive in the competitive atmosphere of the company. Having the responsibilities of running a large scale business and managing over people means that my level of success is determined more by myself than anyone else. The potential for success and the possibility of failure is always present here, and I have full control of which route I take.

This is why I've come back year after year. I CAN fail, but I choose not to, therefore I succeed and grow. The growth I've seen in my abilities and even in my personality over the last 3 years have turned me into an adult ready for the real world. I feel prepared to graduate from school and have a successful career, and I have the challenging and supportive atmosphere of College Works alone to thank for that. – less
Gutcheck time: you have it or you do not!
Senior District Manager (Current Employee), Bellevue, WAApril 9, 2014
Pros: personal development, culture events, earning what you're worth, flexible schedule
Cons: learning curve, drive time
From start to finish, College Works Painting challenges your work ethic and your integrity to complete what you start! If you have the mental capacity to follow through, you have the potential to succeed here. However, for those weak of heart and ready to give up the moment they do not succeed YOU WILL FAIL. I learned a valuable lesson, one similar – more... to that of a childhood tale - this program is not a sprint. It is not how you start, but instead how you finish.

Outside of realizing the type of person I was, I did develop new skills. I was probably the most unorganized person in the world. I would just "go." I would not think. I would not structure. I would, "just do it," just as NIKE puts it. My district manager and the VP at CWP slapped me in the face with a new version of reality. The real world does not care about time or pure effort - obviously they matter as a fundamental to do well at anything in life. Sometimes you have to work smarter and not harder (Both of which are needed). So step one was restructuring my organizational skills.

After fixing a couple minor logistical things that needed attention (Getting a planner, file box, organizing class schedules, study time, etc), my "soft skills" were then developed. I am a very hard-headed individual where things in life seemed to come easy growing up. I was definitely arrogant and some would say "cocky." Going door to door and meeting with clients for sales definitely humbled me out! I had to realize that I wasn't going to be perfect at everything. I needed to learn how to leverage my time. I had to learn how to delegate tasks. Conceptually this was probably one of the more difficult challenges in CWP. In this business, and I would believe in every business, finding the right employees can be a challenge. They do not come immediately. Management is learning how to push when needed and how to pull when needed. It also includes having the fierce conversations, even if we're uncomfortable to do so!

I believe the most difficult obstacle I saw among my peers in CWP was how they responded to rejection. No one likes hearing the words, "No," or, "We are going to go with someone else," or, "We want someone more professional." These were all discouraging notions. But, at the end of the day I believe learning how to respond to failure is one of the most valuable assets anyone can acquire. It's like Michael Jordan said, "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

Finally, I believe that the most enjoyable part of this job was being surrounded by a ton of like-minded individuals that wanted to face a challenge. Everyone that chose to do CWP did it because they're not the type that wants to be complacent and wait for life to come to them. Instead, those that strive for success are attracted to join the ranks of CWP to establish a strong results-based culture. There will be managers that do 40k+ and there will be managers that do 100k+, both of which are an inspiration to me because they all faced their own obstacles and had the integrity to complete what they started. The people I was surrounded by will be carried on into my future regardless of where I end. I know that their are individuals like myself with drive and passion to grasp life into their own hands! – less
How to successfully run a business, AND make a profit.
District Manager (Current Employee), Bellingham, WAApril 9, 2014
Pros: skydiving, cancun, trips in the summer, the company pays for us to have fun! and they pay for your business license, your contractor insurance, and all the marketing materials you need.
Cons: not a lot of contact with other interns until summer, a decent amount of driving.
College Works Painting is a tough internship to figure. To many people it seems like a simple painting business, while to others it seems like only a business opportunity. While I agree that we are both, it was the proudest moment of my life when I ran a $60,000 business for the first time. Did I have my doubts? Sure, I thought about how hard this internship – more... was every day, but it was that difficulty and competitiveness that fueled me to do better. When I take a difficult course within my major, I have no choice but to do well and that is the mindset that I adopted while at College Works Painting. Everyone at the program wants to be successful, but the hardest part about success is that it's only guaranteed if you work harder than you did yesterday. This internship is the single most important development in my life and I couldn't imagine how different I would be if I wouldn't have done the program. I am much more confident, outgoing and extroverted because I talked to clients, created relationships with them, and tried something new every week. It's so inspiring to hear that all of your bosses and co-workers have been through the same thing that you have, even the owners of the company were interns!! I am 21 years old, and about to graduate college and I am confident that I will get a job right out of college because I have experience that puts me ahead of anyone else. On that note, I also got 3 job offers from clients and their family last summer because they were so impressed with how well I had done the job.
So long story short: you will work with clients, use sales skills to book work and produce it, create networks within the company and with your clients, use budget analysis to create a successful business, successfully manage employees( yes I hired a friend, and yes I had to crack the whip sometimes), but above all, I went through an experience that I wasn't "qualified" for, and because of my management, training, and the constant support of everyone at College Works, I succeeded. – less
The Best Experience a University Student Could Ask For!
District Manager (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 9, 2014
Pros: paid trips, work with highly talented individuals
Cons: you make your own success
Joining College Works Painting [CWP] was, and is, the best decision I have ever made to date. Having grown up working as a blue collar worker through both primary and secondary school, the chance to take this opportunity was a no brainer. Much like any other young University student, I wanted to move up in the world. CWP would become the key to my success.

As – more... an intern, or Branch Manager, I built my own schedule, determining what hours I wanted to work any given day, collecting my own business, and building it by doing estimates and booking work. Through the summer I ended up managing two crews learning what it took to be a Manager.

Now as a District Manager, my position has evolved where I am no longer running a single branch, or area, but am instead running a team of highly talented individuals of whom I am training in marketing, sales, management, and many other skills that will take them far and wide!

The company itself is great, Any individual at CWP is continuously earning the right to work there. The company treats its employees exceptionally well with company paid events through the summer and a company retreat for its top individuals.

One thing to note is that working in this company is not for the light hearted. You will be challenged every day, however the best of jobs are never easy. – less
Enriching Lifelong Experience
District Manager (Current Employee), Dallas, TXApril 8, 2014
Pros: pay, people, management, growth, trips, trainings, cancun, events
Cons: none of this is given to you or is easy, this is not for the weak hearted or the lazy or the entitled.
A typical of day at work is well atypical. Thats the part I loved most about this job is that its NOT your 9-5 desk job where you clock in and out and do the same mundane tasks every day. Any day could consist of any one of or combination of the following: calls, marketing, advertising, sales, management, training, networking, leadership, painting, – more... hiring, interviewing, recruiting.

All of these things I was taught by professionals in each respective field. MOST IMPORTANTLY I learned EXACTLY what I wanted in a future career. I found that I wanted something I could work directly with people, work with my hands, work outside, minimal desk and secretary work, and DID NOT want a job with hourly pay, uniforms, clocking in and out, sitting at a desk, and i KNEW that I HAD to have a job that challenged me every day and allowed me to grow and develop as a person.

On top of these things you will also learn a higher level of time management, stress management, management styles, and dealing with a more demanding workload than college will prepare you for in terms of your actual future job.

The management of this company are so supportive of your growth. Literally its the life or death of the company- growth and development. This is one of the few companies built to consistently grow yearly and never become static. Not one level of management just does their "job" they are constantly training people to be better and to move up in terms of sales, commission, job title/position.

The people that you work with range from college students in the same position as you, people who have already been in your shoes and are teaching you, your painters you hire, the clients you gain, executives you meet, and guest speakers you learn from.

The hardest part of the job is keeping yourself motivated to keep performing. Everyone at every tier of the company must perform to keep their job. If you lose the motivation, you don't perform and therefore hate your job. Ex: If you hate door-to-door marketing and can't figure out a way to motivate yourself to do it, your business will go nowhere. If your too tired, sore, behind in school, lazy, (excuse, excuse, excuse) then you can't be successful here. This job demands high performing, highly motivated individuals.

The most enjoyable part of this job is that it is constantly changing and keeps you on your toes 24/7. Ive never had a day where I woke up as was like: "I'm not going into work today." or "I can't believe I have to work again and do the same things."

Your a business owner, you make your goals, your schedule, your level of success, your business track. Its 100% on you and I love that level of control on myself and the impact I chose to or not to make in my future. – less
Tough internship
Intern, District Manager (Former Employee), TexasApril 8, 2014
Pros: many great friendships are forged
Cons: money is always tight-not a good fit for most people looking for a career type job
College works is a great way to skip all the hourly wage jobs you get in high school. It requires a ton of hard work but the boost to your resume and real world experience is undeniable and very hard to find.

A typical day will include door to door sales, crew management, and profit analysis of each job you sold. These tasks directly translate to jobs – more... and skills you will use in the "real world" everyday. The culture is very single minded so everyone thinks the same way which is fun while you do the internship, it helps you get through it.

The hardest part probably revolves around the fact that you have to learn many hard lessons in one year that would normally take 5-10 years at a regular job so it will be much more stressful than a regular hourly wage job.

The most enjoyable part is being able to look back on what you did when you are done. – less
Hard Work, But it Pays Off!
District Manager (Current Employee), College Station, TX and Houston, TXApril 6, 2014
Pros: great experience, money, fun trips and people
Cons: driving
College Works was a great program that taught me a lot about how to run an effective business. If you're interested in entrepreneurship at all I would highly recommend trying it. As an intern, you are responsible for running your own painting business, doing everything from sourcing leads, doing estimates, and managing the jobs. From intern year, I – more... think the biggest thing that I learned that had an incredible affect on my life was communication skills and learning to interact with other people professionally. It was a great experience for me that taught me a lot about myself, how to work with others, how to communicate effectively, how to sell myself, how to manage my time, how to push past barriers to reach my goals, and it really built up my confidence. Overall, as long as you are willing to put some time and effort into an opportunity that will benefit you in the long run, you should have a good experience. I did know some people who did not have the best experience with College Works as well. However, I consistently noticed that the interns who did not have a good experience were the ones who refused to put hard work and effort into their job.

All in all, I believe College Works is a great internship for those out there that want a challenge, are willing to work hard, and desire to reach their potential in business and in life. – less
Heck of a lot of work but thats how you learn!
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 31, 2014
Pros: overall leadership and management responsibilities are off the charts
Cons: lots of hard work. be ready for a challenge
I did CWP in 2006. I had no idea how much work it would be. Its not just the time, it is a program that is based on results, and that is awesome.

Don't get me wrong, it is a really tough position and being an entrepreneur is always with you, but if you can handle rejection and can stay organized, you can make a killing and the learning is off the charts!
Hard Strenous Days to meet deadlines
Crew Chief and Head Marketer (Former Employee), Champaign, ILMarch 18, 2014
Pros: working outside, being my own boss the majority of the time
Cons: long hours, sometimes harsh weather conditions
This was my first job so I was basically going to do whatever I needed to do to thrive at it. There were days where I would have to work for 13 hours at a fast pace to keep a job from going over budget. I like working outside in the summer though so I did not mind being outside working for this amount of time. I would usually work by myself or with – more... one or two other people. I would usually be in charge unless my boss was at the site. He would go to multiple sites throughout the day. I learned the lesson of hitting deadlines and the business implications of not hitting deadlines. The hardest part of the day was usually around 230 PM because it was the hottest part of the day. I enjoy warm weather but being in the sun working during this time of day was difficult. The most enjoyable part of the day was usually when I finished the job at the end of the day. The satisfaction of doing a good painting job was very enjoyable for me. – less
A fast paced work environment with little oversight
Crew Chief (Former Employee), Waukesha, WIMarch 10, 2014
A typical day of work would include long hours of maintaining job site quality, directing and assigning tasks for the paint crew to complete, maintaining job site safety, as well as handling the questions, concerns, and general interactions with clients in order to maintain a good rapport.

While working as a crew chief for college works painting, I – more... learned many skills. Some to point to would be time management, budgeting, customer service, marketing, and managerial skills.

I worked under a branch manager who was participating in a college internship program that involved the starting up and running of your own painting company. He directly reported to his district manager. The branch manage was inexperienced at the job and forced me to step up in a lot of aspects in order to ensure not only the quality, but the general completion of the jobs booked.

The crew that worked under me was hard working, though they needed supervisor at times in order to stay focused on the job at hand and finish in a timely fashion.

The hardest part of working for CWP was trying to finish a job efficiently and cost effectively when the job sites were initially underestimated.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working outside all day with good people and great clients. – less
Good Summer Job
exterior house painter (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 7, 2014
Typical work day involved traveling around painting colleges like the U of O.
I learned about how to paint correctly and the art of painting.
Management was good for the time I was there.
Coworkers were a lot of high school students which made it enjoyable to be around.
Hardest part of the job was constantly traveling.
I enjoyed being able to work long – more... hours. – less
Productive workplace with high demand for working quickly and being well at managing others.
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Woodinville, WAMarch 6, 2014
Pros: payroll events, learned to sell a service/product, manage others, and complete a project.
Cons: long days sometimes over ten hours, driving to and from the jobsite and paintstore, having to constantly have ads up for job openings
A typical day at work varied. In the off season when we got sales I would go door to door for eight hours a day every weekend, while going to college, to sell house painting. I had to do all of my own estimates for the leads that I did gather. My booking percentage for booked jobs per estimates done was right around 50% so I had a 50% closing rate when – more... I did every estimate. I sold over $80,000 worth of house painting, but since the summer does not work for everyone it changed to $75,000. During the summer I had to hire painters and teach/manage them on the jobsite. I would have to leave the jobsite to pick up supplies and to go market more in the surrounding neighborhoods. This was basically what the typical days were like.
I learned how to manage others, convince/persuade others to buy a service that you supply, and produce the houses that I did sell.
The hardest part of the job was getting painters to stick around since the pay was not that great. I would constantly have ads up for positions available as a painter because of this.
The most enjoyable part was collecting the check once the project was complete or going with the company on payroll events. – less
fun but not worth it
painter (Former Employee), Clackamas, ORFebruary 11, 2014
it was fun, but not steady nor was it organized very well
.summer job only.
not very well thought out.
it was door to door.
Worst company I have ever worked for
Branch Manager (Former Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 3, 2014
The recruiters talked about how you could start your own painting business. However, you were really just working for another manager, so it was not like owning your own business at all. Every day I would feel harassed by my manager about meeting their quota. They provided sales training, but I feel it was not enough. When I would do estimates for clients, – more... I was not able to answer all their questions. I felt like I had inadequate training, and that made me lose a lot of potential clients. I also lost a lot of clients due to their ridiculous mark up. I couldn't compete with the competition because I would have to charge them at least double what the competition was doing.

The worst part of the internship was marketing. They kept saying the best way is to go door to door to get work. However, you would just get many doors slammed in your face. And to make things worse, for a period of time, each branch manager was given a section of the city and we had to stay in that boundary. So if you did not have a good section, you didn't have much work.

Another irritating part was that they said that you'd make a profit on your jobs. What they failed to tell you, is that you aren't supposed to start painting until the summer time. This was a major problem for me in many ways. Because of that issue, I lost potential clients because they wanted the work done right away. Another way it hurt me is that because of this internship, I had to stop working at my other job. This meant that I only had student loans to rely on income. You have to pay for all your own expenses like gas and marketing tools. I used gas so much that it quickly ate into my students loans. Another thing that they don't tell you is that the way they reimburse you is that they take it from your potential profits, which is not guaranteed.

Time management was another issue. There were two mandatory three hour meetings in which we'd have to call people and three phone meetings a week. On weekends, we'd have our estimates and knock on doors between our estimates. All of this consumed most of my time. My grades slipped and I put on a lot of weight because I only had time to get fast food.

Ultimately I decided to leave the internship because it was affecting my life in a huge negative way. The internship was hurting my health, my grades and the relationships with the people in my life. I think that College Works Painting glorifies this internship and forgets to tell you critical details upfront. Overall I felt cheated and lied to and I would never work for them again. – less
Entrepreneurial Experience for College Students
District Manager (Former Employee), WAJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: several paid trips
Cons: no financial security
Excellent place to learn new skills. As an intern, you run your own small branch of a painting company and learn marketing, sales, human resources, customer service, project-people-money management, and develop enormous leadership and communication skills due to having the responsibility of a real business owner.

As a District Manager, you expand your – more... skills by learning recruiting, sales management, operation management, motivation and team leadership, as well as improving skills in sales and accounting/profit analysis.

Very fun culture, good management and training.

Not a job for an individual who is not driven or ambitious, as part of the work is building a client base for yourself which involves aggressive marketing plans.

The company typically spoils employees with many fun trips where they pay airfare, lodging, some food and drinks. These trips are by far the most enjoyable part of the experience because you network, learn, and party with other success-driven college students from all around the country.

The down side is that for interns, money is made via profit on their projects. This can be anywhere from 0-35% per project depending how well you manage it. For DMs, you are strict commission and bonuses for your interns sales and for your personal sales targets.

You learn self-discipline and organization/time management here since most of the workers are still full time college students. – less
Great Experience
Manager (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 12, 2014
An intern is responsible for everyday business operations whether it be marketing, sales, hiring employees, and production forecasting. It required extreme self motivation and a resilient work ethic.
good place to start
Painter and Marketer (Current Employee), Portland, ORDecember 10, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule, working with others
Cons: seasonal work, low wages
Painting exterior houses.
Climbing ladders, using tools.
Working on a crew of 2-3 people.
Excellent opportunity in management experience with great pay
Branch Manager (Former Employee), North CarolinaDecember 10, 2013
Pros: excellent real world experience in management
Cons: time management can be difficult
This was one of the best opportunities I have ever been a part of. I currently work in a similar position and the skills that I took away from college works have helped me not only land a great job after school, but have also helped in properly manage a vast variety of aspects in m y workplace and life.
Getting a Head Start in Life
District Manager (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCDecember 9, 2013
Pros: work your own hours, great culture, learn a ton
Cons: takes a lot of energy to run your own business
I did this internship my freshman year. College Works has been one of the most difficult and challenging things I have done in my life. It has also been one of the most rewarding and beneficial things also. Through this internship I have learned how to manage my time with class, clubs, friends, and this internship while maintaining a 3.5gpa. This internship – more... has taught me how to run a small business starting from the ground up by finding clients, learning how to do sales, conduct interviews and hire employees, manage production, as well as budget and cost control. I would only recommend College Works Painting to people who are up for a challenge and opportunity to learn and grow. – less
Learn how to run your own business, while building relationships
Intern (Current Employee), Chapel Hill, NCDecember 8, 2013
Pros: cancun trip, fun payroll events, go big events, building relationships, pay
Cons: time consuming, phone calls
I really enjoyed my experience with College Works. It starts in the spring and then goes into the summer. During the spring you learn more about marketing and sales. Then during the summer you actually learn how to manage the business, while continuing your growth in sales. Even though you're running your own business (which is pretty independent), – more... you're constantly building relationships.

The most challenging part about this internship was time management and comfort zone. Being a sophomore in college, I've never ran my own business before and I found it very uncomfortable. But at the end, I knew I wanted to learn the skills College Works had to offer and my district manager helped me see it through. This is what challenged me to be a better manager and an overall better communicator. I also had weekly meetings with my district manager to discuss my business but also time management. This was key for me just because I not only wanted to be successful in the internship, but also in my academics and extracurriculars.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I built with my team. Getting to know other people that had the same personality as me was really cool! We also had events throughout the summer that involved doing something fun. So not only did we get to discuss ways of how to improve our business, but also get to have fun together. Lastly, the trip at the end of the year to Cancun was awesome. It was definitely the most fun I've ever had in a trip or on the weekend. – less

1 2 3 4 5