COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON

COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON Employer Reviews

Good learning environment with challenges
Information Technology (Current Employee), Charleston, SCOctober 16, 2014
Pros: holidays, free bus
Cons: state health care, lack of management/direction, funding, inability to change
Good environment for gaining experience or planning to retire. Management is very laid back, but also lacks direction/organization. Overall lack of understanding on how to operate and run a modern business. Very hesitant to change.
Exciting and fulfilling work experience
Student Admissions Fellow (Former Employee), Charleston, SCSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: awesome coworkers
Cons: pay was low
I loved working at the College of Charleston. I learned a lot and gained a lot of mentors. The management invests in their employees and the environment is very special in that your coworkers are more family than colleagues.
Campus is in beautiful downtown Charleston.
Student Services (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJune 6, 2014
The campus is beautiful downtown Charleston so it is wonderful to be surrounded by that every day. The people across campus are supportive and working toward the same mission.
N/A
NCAA D-I Cross Country and Track & Field Athlete (Former Employee), Charleston, SCMay 8, 2014
I loved my time at College of Charleston. Being a collegiate athlete taught me how to be a good team leader and role model and how to balance all aspects of life. I learned how to collaborate and communicate effectively with others. My experience with the team is one I will treasure forever.
Multi-Cultural School
Business Manager (Former Employee), Charleston, SCMarch 23, 2014
Pros: benefits
This job was a high demand and full of lots of movement every day type of job. It consisted of accounting and numbers processing all day long. Managing a large department of over 60 and handling more than 11 budgets became one of the most challenging parts of the job. This took a toll on the work/life balance and work would have to go home daily to – more... keep up with the high demands of ordering for all the large department members needs and inventory.
The most enjoyable part of the job however, was the people I got to interact with to make all the pieces of the puzzle fit together just right. There were the real hero that made me shine and I got a change to say thank you to them for making me able to be a success. – less
Very Productive
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Charleston, SCFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: free meals during meetings
Cons: little hours, information not being correctly explained among employees
A normal day was full of learning and adapting to changes. The greatest part was leading a group of about 40 girls and influencing their lifes for the better of their career and time as a first year College student at the College of Charleston.
I learned how to plan events and stay organized
Organization of time, materials, and information
Certified Private Tutor (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 24, 2014
As a private tutor for Business Statistics students I am responsible for coordinating one-on-one sessions with struggling students. When students contact me seeing assistance I am able to find time in my own schedule to ensure that they receive the help that they need.

Managing a 3.82 GPA and tutoring roughly twenty hours a week is no easy task, however, – more... I feel that the time management skills I have gained will help me a great deal in my future workplace. – less
Great school; great work place
Executive Upward Bound Counselor (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 15, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for the College of Charleston. My employers were fair and empowering. I learned valuable leadership skills while employed at this great institution.
Fun place to work
Engineer II/Project Manager (Former Employee), Charleston, SCNovember 25, 2013
Worked with a lot of great people and companies. Working downtown Charleston felt like a vacation every day.
Assistant Professor
Assistant Professor of Finance (Current Employee), Charleston, SCOctober 8, 2013
Research and teach Finance classes at the College of Charleston.
Working at the LGC was a wonderful experience!
Evening and Weekend Facility Manager (Former Employee), North Charleston, SCAugust 19, 2013
Pros: flexible lunch time, camaraderie, fun coworkers- like family, office parties
Cons: little room for advancement, difficult to get a promotion, lots of budget cuts, red tape
I enjoyed the time I spent working at the LGC. The only reason I left the position was to accept a full-time position WITH health benefits. With all the budget cuts in public education-- it was difficult to stay on without benefits. It took 6 months alone just to get a pay raise of a few more dollars an hour. And even then-- it had to be fought for. – more... There are also a lot of rules / regulations / "red tape" as I call it in the higher education field. You always have to have a dozen people review something before it can be implemented. This position would be frustrating for a creative/ innovative person looking to make changes quickly. Overall, fantastic place to work. Loved all my coworkers and the camaraderie we shared. – less
Work while at the Beach!
Athletic Training Intern (Former Employee), Charleston, SCAugust 13, 2013
Great location if you like the beach! Sports are highly backed by the community.
Work study program at the gym. Any sports mixed with work is great
Campus Recreation Student Assistant (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 4, 2013
Did all activities as far as checking in and out of students and gear at college gym.
Fantastic job that fit my life
Sottile Theatre Stage Hand and AV Tech (Former Employee), 66 George Street, Charleston, SCMay 29, 2013
The college worked around my class schedule, and allowed me to set my own schedule. I had the opportunity to attend lots of interesting events all across campus, and worked with many interesting people.
Providing students and faculty with timely information
Mail Services Specialist (Former Employee), Charleston, SCMay 11, 2013
I enjoyed meeting students from around the globe , and sharing my experience of hat they can expect at the College of Charleston, and what places in Charleston they can enjoy.
Awesome Student Work Organization
Senior Team Leader/Peer Mentor (Former Employee), Charleston, SCDecember 20, 2012
I loved working for the College of Charleston Libraries. I was able to take on leadership roles that helped me in the workforce now. I am very grateful to have been a part of such an amazing group of people.
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Charleston, SCDecember 15, 2012
Pros: great people
Cons: long drive, low pay
I really enjoyed working for the college, but the pay was too low for the drive. I spent 2 hours every day driving.
Great place to work that respects class schedules.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Charleston, SCNovember 26, 2012
A nice place to work that was always mindful of my ever-changing class schedule.
New student guide
Orientation Intern (Former Employee), Charleston, SCAugust 18, 2012
Prepare incoming freshman for college.

We strived to be the finest ambassadors for our college and help others ease into the school life.
College of Charleston is a fun and productive workplace with so many varying ways of applying your skills.
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 9, 2012
I've learned how to manage my time more efficiently, become more self-motivated, and work in a constantly changing environment. My employers are very supportive of self-expression and new ideas, and they encourage collaboration among coworkers. There's always time for a coffee break to keep everyone motivated!