COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON Employee Reviews

An outstanding research environment...
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 17, 2016
An outstanding research environment with amazing faculty at an impeccable college in the beautiful city of Charleston.
Productive workplace with good infrasturcture
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 22, 2016
Productive workplace with good infrasturcture. Had good experience with working with my professor and with new technology.

Experience: Data modeling for cloud using Salesforce. Modeling data for an organization for cost effectiveness and ETL (Extract,Transform,Load) correctness using coarse grained implementations.
Great place to work but...
Front Desk Receptionist, Controller's Office (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 11, 2016
I enjoy the individuals I work with within my department but because it is a state funded job, there's not a lot of upward movement as far as pay goes and there are a lot of politics that play a part in some of the negative aspects of the job, such as being overworked and underpaid.
Good Company, friendly staff
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 15, 2016
Great atmosphere at work, most enjoyable part of the job was providing students satisfaction! Co-workers interaction varied through out the week, long term employment with the company is guaranteed, not much advancement is provided.
Fun and exciting place to work
HVAC Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 9, 2016
The College of Charleston is centrally located in downtown Charleston, During the school semester the campus is active to its full capacity. All classrooms, historical buildings, houses and dormitory facilities are utilized throughout. There are all sorts of HVAC equipment ranging in size from residential to commercial/industrial that I service, repair/replace throughout the entire campus witch allows me to improve and broaden my skills as an HVAC Technician. The college also utilizes buildings such as the arena and theaters all throughout the year so there is always an event on campus, Poor management of the Physical Plant is what contributes to making the job hard and the most enjoyable part of College of Charleston is the lively atmosphere.
Pros
Accessibilty being located downtown Charleston, Various types of HVAC equipment to work on and learn, good benifits
Cons
Poor management and structure of Physical Plant, no training or continuous education, under average pay
Job status
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SC 29424March 22, 2016
The College of Charleston has great opportunities You can learn a lot. There is opportunity for growth within the College. The company has lots of sociable individuals that are willing to help others.
Great introduction to lab setting
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 26, 2016
As a student, I learned a lot about how to conduct myself in lab without direct supervision. Perfect for someone who would like a solid foundation for a career in science or medicine.
Great if you are a student worker with some hours in the day
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 18, 2015
I worked at CofC part-time while earning two bachelors full time at the school. I liked it decently well and it was a good way to pick up some minor professional skills and make some money.

The two offices I worked in over my time there had regular 7am - 5pm business hours so I had evenings open to study or take additional classes that I couldn't fit in earlier in the day.

I never worked more than 25 hours in a single week and on my busiest project I pulled 40 hours one week but that happened one time in my 2 years of working there.
Pros
Free food all of the time, FLEXIBLE hours, fun co-workers, time to do your homework, access to free printing and quality wifi
Cons
Minimum wage
Laid back work environment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 13, 2015
Awesome job in which you get to interact with students and help and educate them on things that are going on on campus, academics and also their personal lives. I had an awesome supervisor who was caring and made the work environment the best and made sure co workers were in harmony with each other. Also received half off housing to save money for school and you get paid to sit down and talk.
Pros
Half off housing, meeting new students, helping students with issues
Cons
Work assigned outside of working the desk, can't do homework at the desk, no use of electronics
Important job learned a lot.
Adjunct Professor and Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 23, 2015
College of Charleston was a great place to work. I only worked there part time. I enjoyed working with the students and other professors. The hardest part of the job was connecting with others when I had a question since I only worked part time.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
part time low pay
Productive and Fun Workplace
Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 5, 2015
A typical day at work just consisted of taking phone calls in order to encourage people to contribute to the College of Charleston Fund. This job helps you enhance your communication skills as well as how to deal with different personalities. The hardest part of the job was just trying to get people to actually donate by engaging in normal conversation before asking them for a donation. But, at the end of the day, there are some people who just have a warm and welcoming personality that makes it easy for you to talk to them. In addition to that, there were mini games that we would play during the shift in order to bring some life in the room.
Engaging and Supportive school and environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 4, 2015
I have learned how to be a skilled classroom teacher. I have also gained higher knowledge in communication skills as well as presentation skills.
Nice place to work.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCMay 20, 2015
Enjoyed working with my co-workers as well as the students and faculty. This position was challenging and allowed me to improve my communication skills and grow professionally and personally.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Hectic at times
Gorgeous Campus
Cougar Caller (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 27, 2015
LOVE working for the college. Awesome environment, awesome people. You feel more like you're on vacation than at work.
CofC
Student Rep (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 29, 2014
The College of Charleston is not only a premier place to receive a liberal art education, but a excellent place to work as well.
Good learning environment with challenges
Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 16, 2014
Good environment for gaining experience or planning to retire. Management is very laid back, but also lacks direction/organization. Overall lack of understanding on how to operate and run a modern business. Very hesitant to change.
Pros
holidays, free bus
Cons
state health care, lack of management/direction, funding, inability to change
Exciting and fulfilling work experience
Student Admissions Fellow (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 16, 2014
I loved working at the College of Charleston. I learned a lot and gained a lot of mentors. The management invests in their employees and the environment is very special in that your coworkers are more family than colleagues.
Pros
awesome coworkers
Cons
pay was low
Campus is in beautiful downtown Charleston.
Student Services (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 6, 2014
The campus is beautiful downtown Charleston so it is wonderful to be surrounded by that every day. The people across campus are supportive and working toward the same mission.
N/a
NCAA D-I Cross Country and Track & Field Athlete (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 8, 2014
I loved my time at College of Charleston. Being a collegiate athlete taught me how to be a good team leader and role model and how to balance all aspects of life. I learned how to collaborate and communicate effectively with others. My experience with the team is one I will treasure forever.
Multi-Cultural School
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 23, 2014
This job was a high demand and full of lots of movement every day type of job. It consisted of accounting and numbers processing all day long. Managing a large department of over 60 and handling more than 11 budgets became one of the most challenging parts of the job. This took a toll on the work/life balance and work would have to go home daily to keep up with the high demands of ordering for all the large department members needs and inventory.
The most enjoyable part of the job however, was the people I got to interact with to make all the pieces of the puzzle fit together just right. There were the real hero that made me shine and I got a change to say thank you to them for making me able to be a success.
benefits