COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON Employee Reviews

Typical Collegate Environment
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJuly 21, 2017
When your entire workplace is based on diversity (which is great), many people are promoted that really do not meet the challenges of the job they possess. Therefore, the employees that do their work are often scrutinized by another employee that cannot even do their own job.
Pros
Education is a nice environment
Cons
People can be lazy.
College of Charleston is a great place to work
Alumni/Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2017
Interesting work environment as you are shaping the lives of students in their career endeavors.

Developed external and internal communications, event planning and management, donor and community relations, HR and personnel responsibilities, inter-office administration and operational activities, and staff training and development.
Pros
Fun stimulating work environment in higher education.
Cons
Salaries not competitive compared to private sector.
Internation Business Class
Student Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 10, 2017
This class is absolutely amazing and allows you to soak up valuable information for applicable instances.

The teacher is phenomenal as well, with over 20 years experience in international business.
love the workshop
Work Shop Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 7, 2017
Learned the inner workings of the performing arts through backstage construction and stage management. Engaged in the design process and carried out complex plans and directions as given by the technical director. Gained proficiency in the use of power tools as well as construction through assisting the college’s technical director.
Pros
free access to tools
Cons
minimum wage
Great position during grad school
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 13, 2017
Finding a graduate assistant position during graduate school was a bonus. Working on campus while taking classes to earn masters degree helped with travel expenses. Hours were flexible.
Great for a busy student
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  McConnellJune 5, 2017
pay depends on the department, but they obviously would never want a student to not have time to study.
.............................................
Great place to work and learn
Assistant Registrar (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 7, 2017
student focused environment; people go out of their way to be helpful. very open culture--very diverse and accepting. love working with students--when I can give assistance that helps a student meet their graduation goals the feeling is wonderful.
Pros
Beautiful, historic campus in one of the best cities in the country
Cons
I can't say much negative about this school
Great experience for undergraduate students
Peer Leader & Peer Academic Coach (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 17, 2017
A typical day of work at the College of Charleston varies, but primarily it is dealing with peers and guiding them to success through academics and extracurriculars.
Pros
On-campus resources, leadership experience
Cons
No benefits for part-time
Good pay and benefits but..
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 5, 2017
Working in dispatch at public safety is by far the worst scheduling I've ever seen. You can easily work all three shifts in a week and the reason given is because the chief wants dispatch to rotate shifts but not officers. But all three shifts in a week? This is not a place to be long term, enough until something else comes up. Personally I'd stay until I retire if it wasn't for the schedule.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Schedule
Loved every minute
Residence Hall Director (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 3, 2017
Was employed with the department for years. Very fulfilling. Loved the work, the co-workers and the entire experience. Wish that I could go back every day.
I'm willing to be productive again in a calm and sweet enviroment .
Line Server /Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 28, 2017
I have work here over two years it was fun the students was mannable and they just love the food there i start off in the pizza station and from there all over .working there was the most relaxed job i ever had everyone was on one accord.
Pros
Helping my community serving foods in churches.
Cons
Being a very helpful person to anyone i can help.
Excellent and comfortable workplace to be in
Greenhouse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 26, 2017
At the College of Charleston there was always something to do for me in the work area. I learned how to work on teams and how to work independently. I also learned many techniques and skills why'll working in the lab and and the greenhouse. This allowed me to home in and perfect these skills. The hardest part of the job was combining it with my classes effectively, but that obstacle is passable.
Pros
In the middle of the main campus and having the ability to make your own work time.
College of Charleston
Student (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 12, 2017
I am a senior graduating from the College of Charleston in May, 2017. My experience at the College has been phenomenal; great location, great class size, although some professors do not take as much of an interest in the student's education as others do. Overall I received a quality experience and gained applicable business and marketing knowledge.
A well- rounded college
Student (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 6, 2017
As a current student, I am enjoying the College of Charleston. I think I'm getting a well-rounded education, and the professors and faculty members are available and involved.
Great place
Adminstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 15, 2017
Fun environment, very versatile. Nice monday through friday schedule and normal office hours. Everybody is very friendly..............................
Experience
IT Helpdesk Technician (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 23, 2017
College of Charleston is a great placed to work. The experience that i have received were above my expectation. I recommend to work for this College. Management was very understanding and helpful.
Amazing environment
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 2, 2016
Dedicated faculty, brilliant students; amazing facilities! Just the perfect school in a location that is without peer. It is a very place in that it celebrates the liberal arts but also prepares students for professional careers as well as any large university
Busy and professional
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 30, 2016
My typical day was busy as I was receptionist for the department and assistant for the Department Chair and faculty. I advanced in information technology as I was required to manage databases on students and faculty records as well as the departments web sites, annual newsletter and bi-annual course brochure. I hired and trained student workers to help in the office. This was the hardest part of my job. My co-workers were many and professional. The most enjoyable part of my job was assisting them in preparing to teach their classes.
Pros
Completed my college degree on my lunch time
Cons
college was over an hour travel from my home
Work environment encourages professional growth
Docent Instructor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 6, 2016
I was fortunate enough to be promoted to the level of Docent Instructor in order to teach general chemistry laboratories. The college has only been supportive and nurturing in my experience.
Pros
Coworkers were supportive and nurturing.
Excellent for Student Researchers
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 8, 2016
There is a strong culture of learning and a desire for their students to succeed. I learned many valuable skills in my quest to become a science investigator. I was able to further not just my technical skills but as well, my communication skills.