College of Lake County Employee Reviews

Really good place to work, best job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, ILJune 11, 2016
This job pay really well with really good benefits with free education even as a part time or seasonal employee. Really professional job with a good staff and coworkers
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Hard to move up
Excellent work team
New Student Orientation (Current Employee) –  Grayslake, ILJune 4, 2016
New student orientation (NSO) is the biggest part of the job as a student ambassador. A typical NSO lasts about 5 hours. I learned how to interact with a group of people and how to be a leader. You have to make sure that your group gets a solid knowledge of the college. One of the more difficult parts but at the same time, one of the best parts of the job is to connect to your group.You usually don't know the students you are giving a tour, but still you have to be able to get them excited about their career in college. Once you get that connection, and you starting to realize that you are part of their journey, this is the best part of the job.
Amazing place to make a positive difference
Student Trustee (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, ILJune 1, 2016
The people whom I worked with had a clear passion for helping students, and I enjoyed working with them. The hardest part of the job was balancing my studies, work, family, and extracurricular activities. The most rewarding moments were helping students and making a difference within the campus.
fun
Information Technology lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, ILMay 26, 2016
nice administration and great people to work with
a typical day was helping patrons who had problems or who needed help getting around
Great Place!
Adult Education, Enrollment Center Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grayslake, ILMay 19, 2016
this is a great place to work for. very diverse group of students that we help out. every one works as a team to succeed in one goal.
Enjoyed working at CLC
Biology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Grayslake, ILJanuary 9, 2016
As a faculty member, the tenure process was challenging but rewarding. The culture is welcoming and the people are great to work with.
college
Intake/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, ILOctober 21, 2015
I enjoyed working at this college since I was a student there. Great doors were opened to become a better person and look at my career different.
For the office for students with disabilities
PHP Developer (Former Employee) –  GreyslakeSeptember 30, 2015
I built a custom system that delivers books to students with disabilities. The system allows students to select from existing book materials such as pdfs, html, and other digital format in a cart. The student can then log into their account and download the books after the college administration approves their requests.

This was a fun position and the product is very effective.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, great environment
Cons
Pay was too low
Doors opened to succeed.
Intake/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, ILAugust 6, 2015
College of lake County is a school that opens many doors to its students. This job was an impulse in my career to go in the search of better job positions, that is the reason I am taking the risk of applying at clerical/receptionist jobs that are opened.
Low salary. Unappreciative bosses.
Staff (Current Employee) –  GLCJuly 23, 2015
Low salary. Unappreciative bosses. Internal fights and politics makes me sick. VPs don't care about staff. Keep looking for better opportunities.

Want to know more about College of Lake County?

Ask a question
Fun place to work
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILJuly 16, 2015
College of Lake County was a part time job. I worked at the Waukegan Campus one night a week, teaching adults in the business workplace about the conventions of grammar and writing.

Management was available to help with materials and lesson planning if needed. The most difficult part of the job was a three-hour class once a week. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching my adult students learn how to correctly write correspondence.
I learned that there was much for me to learn. I grew from this experience.
Pros
Interacting with the students
Cons
one class per week
Worked as a Food Service Worker
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, ILJune 29, 2015
I refill condiments as much as possible. I balance a till by the end of the day. Was hard working with manager. I don't have a job and my former manager moved from Illinois to Arizona and works at Arizona State University
Did not like it at all
Staff (Former Employee) –  GrayslakeJune 26, 2015
Stress. People are upset because of changes. Most people work too much because of large number of retired employees and those who left and found other jobs.
I thought I already reviewed CLC - great place to teach
Faculty (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, IL - northern IllinoisJune 20, 2015
excellent faculty
students very eager to learn what I had to teach
great management
co-workers were very smart/ excellent teachers
the winter drive
I enjoyed the faculty and my teaching assignments
Pros
auxiliary help when needed
Cons
driving to the college in the winter weather
Too much
Staff (Former Employee) –  GLCJune 19, 2015
CLC is trying to cut many positions and let people go. Management cares less about anything except of meeting budget cut objectives. Stress is in the air. No appreciation whatsoever.
Benefits
Cons
Too much work. Too much stress. Crazy.
Seeing young Navy men and women learn skills for use in the fleet was very rewarding
Instructor/curriculum designer (Former Employee) –  Great Lake, ILJune 15, 2015
My four years with the College of Lake County were mostly working with young sailors teaching them basic electronics or developing the curriculum they learned from. The environment easy to work in but the compensation was very low for the hours required. Seeing these young people get excited about what they were learning was very satisfying.
Pros
Able to see the immediate results of my efforts.
Cons
Extremely low pay.
Gained experience
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, ILFebruary 24, 2015
I gained lots of good experience from this job. I was able to brush up on some of the skills that I had an also learn new things. It was only a summer job, but had it opened up to me full time I probably would have stayed.
Pros
Good hours, Good people
Cons
Temp position, compensation low
Opportunity to get my hands dirty
Student Worker in Technical Theatre Department (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, ILJanuary 28, 2015
Work days started as early as 7 AM and ended as late as 7 PM, especially during summer musical productions. Days included anything from organizing props to building elaborate sets with different woods and metals, utilizing anything from spray paint to a pneumatic stapler. My management was intent on creating a friendly work place environment, while also completing tasks efficiently and with precision. The hardest part was learning how to use the different tools and equipment, but that was easily overcome with practice and slowing down to speed up. The most enjoyable part was the process of building, and the reward was seeing it all come together.
Great people all working together to continuously improve all aspects of the college
Office Associate - Facilities Department (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, ILJanuary 26, 2015
Working as an office associate in the facilities department at the College of Lake County in Grayslake, IL for almost 9 years (some time spent as a student worker) taught me so much about teamwork and most of all about people in general. My department was in charge of all of the building's grounds, maintenance, heating and cooling, and custodial. A typical day at work involved general office duties and providing direct support for the Facilities Director and other department supervisors. This job required strong customer service involving all different kinds of people, including but not limited to staff, faculty, students, vendors, outside event coordinators, and various members of the community. Every day was different and I loved the constant multitasking. The hardest part of the job was also in a way the most rewarding part as well - having to think on your feet in a quick but effective manner in solving various issues, dealing with difficult people, and most importantly following through with each and every person to ensure the customer was happy and the job, whatever it may be, was done right.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
very limited breaks and lunches, always on call
great opportunity for me as a new instructor
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, ILOctober 3, 2014
Typical day was never a typical day...nothing was like the day before.

I loved my supervisor; very empowering
Great management - learned a lot.

Hardest par of the job was when the students quit school.
Most enjoyable part of the job was when someone was successful and became a counselor.
Pros
great hours; great team to work with
Cons
the best job I ever quit for other employment opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at College of Lake County. Our community is ready to answer.

College of Lake County Reviews by Location