College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering

College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering Employer Reviews

Secure job, low pay great benefits
Research Technician (Current Employee), Albany, NYMarch 20, 2014
Pros: time off
Pay is lower than industry, but job is more secure as it is with the state. Benefits are excellent, time off is excellent. Upward mobility within the state is non-existent.
productive, multidisciplinary
Research Scientist (Current Employee), Albany, NYMarch 12, 2014
CNSE is the world's first college to offer comprehensive baccalaureate programs in Nanoscale Engineering and Nanoscale Science - groundbreaking educational and research curricula that will uniquely prepare students for growing scientific opportunities in the nanotechnology-enabled careers of the 21st century.
Exciting and interesting research environment.
Senior Research Support Specialist (Former Employee), Albany, NYOctober 9, 2012
Pros: world class nano-research facillity ( one of it's kind)
Cons: -
During my stay in Albany NY, I developed a electro-pollishing technique which yields >90% reduction in all roughness value's measured by AFM on Hastelloy and Stainless Steel substrates for CIGS solar cell applications.

I also invented a liquid N2 coold substrate deposition technique for PVD magnetron sputtering which results in alloyed (meta-stable), – more... smooth, dense and homogeneous thin-films comprised of constituents which are thermodynamically immisble.

This was my Msc research contribution and is published in Thin Solid Films in 2011

I also graduated by taking part in an comprehensive exam in which I was in competition with the whole student body (Msc and PhD) of the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering, and passed the exam by beeing ranked >50th percentile.

I alway's had the freedom to explore new idea's and concepts, and was able to reach out to other scientists in the field to establish collaboration.

I've gained a tremendous amount of knowledge not only professionally but personally as well.

Finally I started working for a start-up company via CNSE, developing Si(Ge) thin films (doped and intrinsic) to build a working thin-film solar cell device. – less

Helen12 – October 22, 2012

why did you leave the employer (nanoscience college in Albany)?

Great place to do your PhD
PhD in Nanoscale Science and Engineering (Current Employee), Albany, NYMay 8, 2012
Learnt a lot about various kind of deposition like ALD, PVD and CVD. The exposure about IC chip fabrication and BEOL was great too. Very suitable place to jump-start a career in semiconductor.