College of Southern Maryland Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 31, 2017
There is no sense of community here. It's a cut throat environment. Nobody wants to help the students here. I've seen 7 people come and go in the past 7 months. I really want to get out of this toxic work place.
Pros
If you desire to take classes you don't have to pay the tuition
Cons
people are hateful and you don't get paid for the heavy workload
An enjoyable environment with engaged faculty and students.
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 28, 2017
As a college campus, this environment was much more enjoyable and rewarding than a high school campus. The majority of the students were mature enough to work hard and understand the consequences if they did not.

My supervisors and peers were professional and supportive. I never was made to feel embarrassed with any questions I had regarding the curriculum, procedures, or technology.

The most difficult part of the job was adapting my syllabus whenever a new edition of the book came out.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the students and their excitement level for each class which, in turn, fueled me each night.
Pros
the students, textbooks, and pretty campus
Cons
the pay
Great but antiquated
Executive Director of Marketing & Communications (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 18, 2017
Really great group of people but lacks in some vision areas from senior leadership. Some of the technology is extremely antiquated which makes it hard to position as a progressive organization for job recruiting. Because the college takes on a bit of a small town mentality, a vast majority of the employees have been here for a considerable period of time which certainly makes it feel like family. There is some wonderful flexibility in work scheduling, though I can only speak for that as it pertains to the division I've worked for. They really need to look at improving cell and wifi service on the La Plata campus. It's nearly impossible to make a call on campus because of the service. Overall a really great place and great people, just a bit stuck in its ways. I'd be curious if it ends up affecting the college's ability to hire or retain those who have larger aspirations.
Pros
Code Green Fridays (May-July Campus Closes at 1:30pm), Winter break, Spring Break
Cons
Old technology, bad service area, internal communications, leadership
okay
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 13, 2017
work in the test building Xerox copies for the teachers and filiing the test for the professors management was great. very busy working in the testing building. went in early and had the rest of my day to take care of my family
My favorite out of all previous jobs!
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Prince Frederick, MDJuly 7, 2017
I truly enjoyed working at and for the College of Southern Maryland. From the administrative staff that I proudly served to the faculty - everyone was so warm and friendly. I assisted and then eventually oversaw the campus scheduling department. Daily routines included, but were not limited to, bookkeeping, filing and sending business and payment contracts, and scheduling campus courses and activities. Every morning I delivered faculty mail and restocked the staff room. My coworkers were always more than willing to lend a helping hand and that made all the difference. Management felt more like family, and were not only "managers", but leaders as well. I can honestly say that there were no difficult parts of this job.
Not a good place
Aquatics Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDJune 29, 2017
I was not able to perform to the best of my abilities due to a lot of red tape and lack of professionalism from my colleagues. I would not recommend it to anyone.
Easy Job, No Supervision
Anatomy and Physiology Tutor (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJune 25, 2017
Easy job as long as you're familiar with anatomy and physiology. Just help students with whatever they're struggling with. No supervisor, pretty laid back job.
Productive and fun work place
Student assistant to the programs coordinator (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDApril 10, 2017
Always looking to help others. Tries to make sure every student is doing fine or possibilities to make them succeed. Work environment is laid back and very convenient.
Busy!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDMarch 28, 2017
Very hectic days which made the day go fast.
Learned alot!
Meet alot of amazing students, staff and faculty.
Campus is clean and beautifully kept.
Food in cafeteria is great but pricey!
Pros
Some freebie/perks
Cons
Heavy workload
secretary
Student Success Center Secretary (Former Employee) –  Leonardtown, MDFebruary 23, 2017
Job was wonderful but only lasted for 2 year, coworkers were excellent to work with and compensation was ok. the work schedule was always flexible to schedule of classes.
Pros
work around college classes
Cons
job guarantee

Want to know more about College of Southern Maryland?

Ask a question
No Communication
Manager (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDFebruary 15, 2017
There is a huge lack of communication between the college departments. If a policy changes you never know about t until you get scolded for not doing it right. Should you happen to work in a department that has great communication skills then CSM is great, If you happen to work in one that lacks communication skills, it will be a difficult workplace. Maybe not right away, but eventually.
Productive and fun environment
Office Manager, Educational Talent Search (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJanuary 30, 2017
Managed the day to day operations of the office. Worked closely with the director of the department. Afforded the opportunity to interact with other departments
Pros
interaction with many people
Cons
Grant funded position
Summary
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJanuary 24, 2017
I liked working here because it was a laid back community. I was able to meet some great people and some good friends. This was a fun Job. The hours were low. However, this was the perfect job to have to focus on school as well as to gain some extra cash.
Good people to work with
Physics Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJanuary 23, 2017
I was a physics lab assistant for a class that I also was enrolled in. My physics professor selected a three students who earned A's in the previous physics courses to fill these positions. It was a great experience.
A great place to tutor at.
Chemistry and Biology Tutor (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDDecember 26, 2016
This is a great place to be a tutor. You are qualified to tutor based on your the grades you get on certain classes. Management was well organized. The most enjoyable part about this job was helping students.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
None really
Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Prince Frederick, MDDecember 21, 2016
Pay is extremely low and no room for upper mobility. To many campus not located to any suburbs. Only rural areas. My co-workers are great but the drive from one campus to the other is difficult. I suggest just working on one campus one day. Do not make this your full time job. It's not worth it.
Pros
Great Co works
Cons
Low pay, Location, and no room for advancement.
Like it or don't
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  MarylandAugust 27, 2016
Enjoy working with co-workers. Working with employees in other departments. Many fun social events - picnics, spring fair, Christmas parties. Raises have been lacking lately due to budget cuts. Promotion take time. Seen two type of employees - those who like working at CSM and are CSM lifers until retirement and those who don't and leave within a year or so.
Pros
Good co-workers, picnics, social events
Cons
Lack of pay raises over the last few years
The percs are GREAT!!!
Program Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDAugust 19, 2016
The College is a great place to work. My department in particular is very laid back. We have just gone through management training so getting every one on board with that has been difficult. When I was hired I was told to do my job a certain way and now that I am under a new director she has changed things a lot which has caused some conflict.
Great Job for Students
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDJuly 3, 2016
They schedule shifts around class schedules and offer discounts on textbooks. Great way to meet other students around the campus and stay informed with events. Good atmosphere
Productive, Friendly
Employer Outreach & Dev. Spec (Current Employee) –  LaPlataMay 19, 2016
CSM is a great place to work; the staff is friendly and work collaboratively to meet goals and deadlines. I enjoy the family oriented feel that's ever-present.
A typical work day is full of laughter and emails! Appointments, appointments, appointments!
My co-workers are very helpful, if you are new, everyone helps you; they even go out of their way to assist you with your work. Human resources are very friendly as well, the all day training came with lunch of your choice!
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Air conditioning gets pretty serious, bring a sweater!