College of Southern Nevada Employee Reviews

Coordinator for the College of Southern Nevada Sports Center
Intramural Sports and Wellness Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 28, 2013
Responsibilities within my current position include administrative and operational activities of the CSN Sports Center facility that servers over 32,000 students, faculty, and staff members, with intramural and extramural sports, club sports, membership sales, and fitness and wellness programs. As the Coordinator I develop, enhance, and implement policies, procedures, objectives, and goals for the CSN Sports Center, including directing safety, security, and risk management. I evaluate and measure the effectiveness of current services and programs offered, maintain current knowledge of facility operations, Intramural Sports rules and policies, Fitness and Wellness industry trends, and membership sales goals pursuant to the mission of the department. I oversee operating budgets, and gift accounts for the CSN Sports Center. I report expenses and projected needs, evaluate financial performance, program quality, and ensure a high level of customer service. I actively recruit, hire, train, schedule, supervise and provide leadership to Administrative Assistants, a team of student workers, and several volunteers. I collectively work with staff to define short and long term goals, monitor progress of assigned tasks, and ensure programs are consistent with policy. As a professional at CSN, I capitalize on opportunities to collaborate with a multitude of Faculty, Staff and student employees. I am proud to have been a co-presenter at the Student Affairs Customer Service Training's offered to Faculty, Staff and student employees this past year in which I received an award as a trainer and  more... I have been asked to participate again this year in the Customer Service Training's.  less
College in Crisis
Professor (Former Employee) –  N Las Vegas, NVMarch 16, 2012
CSN is a college that had a very strong and vibrant set of professors, classified staff members and a progressive transparent administration. Although never as well funded as it should have been in regards to the number of students it serviced the college was able to obtain renown in a variety of areas including (but not limited to) IT, HVAC, Theatre, Music and Culinary Arts. It possessed a strong morale that was built on the concept of shared governance between the administration, faculty and the classified staff.
Today the morale is very low, the adminstration is not transparent nor communicative to the faculty/staff and wages are decreasing as the Stae of Nevada faces fiscal crisis after fiscal crisis. Jobs are being cut, student enrollment is down and graduation rates are very, very low.
Pros
outstanding facilities, dedicated staff and faculty
Cons
poor leadership skills in the administration, de-moralized faculty
I did work study for the college and it was a good experience. I learned a lot.
Professor Assistant/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 28, 2013
I worked with the newspaper staff and I did the graphics for a professor for her wine tasting event. I called vendors and companies to donate to her wine taster scholarship fundraiser. I kept a document spread sheet on who I called and what they were going to donate. I learned how to code call. The professor was very helpful in teaching me how to operate a fundraiser. The hardest part of my job was getting the companies to commit to donating. The most enjoyable part of the job was the event. The wine taster had a great turn out and five students received scholarship money for school because of the wine taster.
Pros
i learned how to appropriately asked for donations over the phone.
Cons
it was hard at first code calling but it became easier with time.
A rewarding experience
Instructor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJune 27, 2013
I really enjoyed working at CSN it was my pleasure to assist the students, faculty, and the staff. By working in the Math Department, I learned The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act guidelines which is very similar the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 guidelines in healthcare. The management team very organized and structured.

All of my coworkers were friendly and very helpful. The hardest part of the job was departing because it was only a contracted position. The most enjoyable part of the job was resolving student registration issues diplomatically and expediently to ensure satisfaction.
Pros
a great place to work
Cons
only a temporary position
Adjunct faculty @ the College of Southern Nevada - teaching 3-D drafting and 3-D printing in a college environment
Adjunct faculty (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 2, 2015
Arrive at the campus, deal with anything pending for the previous day. Correct and grade assignments from students. work in the LAB - helping students from all the CAD classes as needed. In the afternoon, conduct 3-D modeling classes in both Autodesk Inventor and SolidWorks. I also taught a 3-D printing course; introducing students to 3-D printing and 3-D scanning.
Pros
educating students and watching their excitement as they learned new skills
Cons
college of southern nevada cut most of the cad program.
Fun,Exciting working with students who are eager to learn and further their education
Technician Assistant Project Graduate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 23, 2013
A typical day at work taught me to be a little more patient and understanding to a variety of different people and their needs. I learned a great deal from the counselors and advisers about credits and transfer credits. The hardest part of my job goes back to adjusting to everyone's needs. CSN has over 18,000 students and everyone is different. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning and passing on my knowledge to the students.
Pros
going to college for free.
A rewarding and eye opening experience
Summer Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 2, 2014
As a math teacher at CSN, I would review basic math topics and answer any questions and offer help to ensure my students passed the course successfully. I learned that effective communication is unique to each person and that creativity and problem solving is a must when approaching a problem of any magnitude. The hardest part of my job was ensuring my students completed the course, but the most enjoyable part was seeing them succeed and their gratitude.
Pros
rewarding and educational experience
Cons
low pay and short hours
Front Desk
Front desk receptionist in a Counseling Office (Former Employee) –  Las vegas NevadaJune 13, 2013
Working at CSN in the front desk of the counseling department was a very good expiriance. I got to learned how to multi-task between phone calls and greeting people who walked in the office. The job consist in answering phone calls and setting up future appointment in person as well as in phone. The most enjoyable of this job was that i got the apportunity to help put people what to do when they were first time students. guide them in where to go if they didn't have to see the counselors from this deparment.
Cons
short breaks
creates opportunities and changes lives through access to quality teaching, services, and experiences that enrich our diverse community
Library assistant (Former Employee) –  West Charleston Campus , Las Vegas NevadaFebruary 6, 2014
To ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information
To empower students to be critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers, and ethical users of information
To instill a love of learning in all students and ensure equitable access to information
Pros
environment where collaboration and creative problem solving thrive
Cons
time conflict of my studying while working
Unique, Interesting, and Memorable
Student Ambassador, Recruitment (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 5, 2014
As a student ambassador I have the opportunity to help students on a daily basis. This has contributed to a much fuller college experience for me. As a psychology major, I have found it invaluable to be able to sit across from students and counsel them on their given situation. This combination has made my position as a student ambassador, one that is unique, interesting, and memorable.

My managers and co-workers are all a delight to work with. There is a real sense of team spirit and camaraderie.
Wonderful place to work and learn
Peer Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 26, 2015
Was wonderful to go to different sites and promote not only CSN but continuing education in general. Everyone was friendly, skilled, and always encouraging. Most times was able to study when finished with immediate duties except when at different sites. Giving tours was always fun because you were able to show and tell them the best about the college.
Pros
did most work on own. traveled to different schools elementary - high school
Cons
sometimes a pain due to distance needed to travel at times
A Wonderful Place to Work and Learn
American Heart Association BLS & AED Instructorc (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 2, 2015
The work community at the College of Southern Nevada's Workforce Development Devision is very supportive and dedicated to teaching and enriching the students that attend its many programs. Working in the field I have learned how to communicate with diverse groups of people in a unified manner. All staff are friendly, and helpful, working toward to goal of bettering Southern Nevada's working community.
Lecturing is a great skill to perfect as a project manager
Part-time Instructor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 13, 2014
Helping construction management students grasp concepts and core knowledge of the complete process of participating in a building project. Grading exams and using power point and sample documents to help enforce weekly reading requirements. Meeting actively working construction personnel was great.
Pros
two days per week lectures
Cons
teacher's pay
Great place to work while in college
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVAugust 16, 2013
I worked there so I could pay for my own classes. In fact, that was a requirement to work there. A student employee had to have at least 6 credits per semester to keep the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping teachers to do their job. We would help with computers, projectors, and other electronics the teachers needed to teach their classes.
assist students in recieving financial aid
Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee) –  las vegas,nvOctober 9, 2013
This job had it's ups and downs. Ups:you get to see a very minute percent of the population of students smile, and they work well with your schedule. Downs: everything else. Most supervisors dgaf about the students there's no 'compensation' for all the bs you have to go through.
Pros
customer service experience
Cons
no compensation for services
Fun and Easy Going Work Environment
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVSeptember 17, 2013
The days at work are usually pretty eventful. I learned a lot about Nevada's higher education system. Management was usually on top of everything. The hardest part was sitting all day. The most enjoyable part was meeting so many unique and interesting individuals every day.
Pros
enjoyable work environment
Cons
can sometimes be very slow
Susan Ward, CCMA
Instructor (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVJuly 20, 2013
Arrive at work, change clothing if necessary.. Perform triage. Weigh and take patient to patient room. Perform TPR and Blood Pressure.
Ask patient about family history medications they are taking, pleasent chatting, see if they are compfortable, then the doctor will be with you soon .
Pros
meet lots of people
Cons
maybe money. but i dont know that for sure
Working for the College
Custodial Technician (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 10, 2014
I enjoyed my time at this facility. However, there was too much Managment drama, when I was hired on. And it effected job security. I was never really certain how long I would have a position.
Supervisor's were great. Co-workers were great, some lacky's. Managment out of control and very threatening.
Productive: Sales Associate and Cashier
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVNovember 4, 2013
Count money before logging in the cashier
How to work with money, and being a sales associate
Co-workers were amazing
Learning to working cashier
That I got to learn to work cashier and I actually like it
Pros
new work experience
Cons
no medical, short lunches
Customer service
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVSeptember 13, 2012
The people I worked for here, were amazing, they were always in a great mood. They tought me alot about taking care of customers, and always having a good attiude, and never where your emotions on your sleaves. You leave your personal problems outside the door before you come into work.