College of William and Mary Employee Reviews

- great co-workers
- professional development
- safe campus
- fun
If you are a liar, you will fit in,
Peon Worker (Former Employee) –  Unadvancement DepartmentSeptember 12, 2016
Wait a minute. Let me barf before I give you may short analysis and experience of working in the un-advancement division of the college. If you are a hard worker with good skills, you can forget it. You will be snuffed out by the prima donna management and liars that make it what it is. Lying is the number one priority and takes very little, if not any skill level what so ever and is spread all the way to the HR dept.
Pros
The college is beautiful and so are the students.
Cons
Well, if you work there watch out for the snake pit.
Highly demanding tenure process without work/life balance
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAFebruary 11, 2017
I went through the tenure process at W&M, and worked many 60 or 70 hour weeks to the detriment of family life. Contrary to many universities and colleges, W&M requires excellence in everything: research, teaching, service. That means you never can rest assured of having done enough, can never say no to new tasks. There is no support framework, and all you hear from colleagues is that it's bad and they want to leave.
Pros
Some supportive colleagues, excellent students.
Cons
Poor management at dean's level, micromanagement.
wonderful and quirky
Yoga Instructor (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VADecember 17, 2016
best support and teamwork.

always helping each other

i love the students/clients who encourage to be the best and have a fun time teaching the classes

great admin team o keep everyone on schedule and on the know
Pros
useful feedback to improve
Old buildings, young people
Research & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAOctober 4, 2016
Thanks for paying my way to a Masters! I'm pretty glad I do not have to grade any more papers though. The grading load can be pretty heavy.
Laid back and professional atmosphere
Tribe Tutor Zone English Language Assistance Tutor (Current Employee) –  Swem LibraryMay 6, 2016
At William and Mary, I worked as an ESL tutor and a Writing tutor in the school's library. It was a very fun place to work, full of well-rounded, kindhearted, and extremely motivated students. I led 60 or 90 minute individual consultations with students, where we discussed writing style, content, argument strength, grammar, and more.This was such a rewarding job, because I felt as though I was helping make a difference in the lives of students by increasing their confidence in their academic writing skills, and helping ease their anxiety about evaluation of their work.
Pros
Rewarding, friendly coworkers, wonderful boss, grateful clients
Cons
Low pay
Wonderful job and great work environment!
Director of Admissions and Student Affairs (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAFebruary 19, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed every minute working at William & Mary. I left there after almost 7 years to move out to be near my family here in Colorado.

A typical workday was fast-paced, constant interaction with students, managing applications for the program, and working closely with faculty and staff.

I learned that I'm really great at working with students and thrive in that environment
Pros
Always felt appreciated; got lots of merit raises over the years
Cons
None!
Enjoyable workplace with wonderful management and coworkers.
Circulation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJanuary 25, 2016
A truly wonderful workplace with a focus on enriching customer experience and service. Understanding and friendly management with great coworkers. Works out personal schedules for a good balance between work and personal life.
Pros
Wonderful managment, open work environment, flexible scheules
Cons
Low pay, not much room for advancement
Historical Educational Institution
Human Resources Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VANovember 26, 2014
Conducted informational presentations to staff by providing excellent communication skills, reviewed applicant pool, background checks and analyzed salary compensation for current employees. Provided a variety of administrative support and to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
Pros
Short commute
Nice experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 1, 2016
Teaching assistant for the accounting program that I just graduated from. Work with professors and students. Grade homework/exams, answer questions and hold review sessions
Great professors, great research experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 20, 2016
Unpaid research assistant position on a College-sponsored project. Great experience in academia, recommended for any students.
Nice place to work.
Hvac Master Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VANovember 20, 2013
Nice job here, good people, and alot of knowledge can be gained here.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
too many meetings.
Amazing place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJanuary 20, 2016
Everyday is a new challenge and experience to learn from. With all the systems that are on campus you will learn multitude of designs and operations.
First Internship
Endocrinology & Physiology Internship (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VANovember 7, 2014
On a typical day, I would weigh the mice, weigh their food, and operate a calorimetry machine. We had weekly lab meetings where the students would discuss their progress. Also, we presented our data to the lab group toward the end of the internship. During the internship, I performed surgery on the mice involved in our study. I learned the importance of being an independent researcher, the significance of weekly lab meetings, and how to operate new equipment. This was my first internship, and I enjoyed every minute of it. I enjoyed working with the mice and caring for them.
Pros
Ability to collaborate with more than one mentor, research experience
Stressful not Academic
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Information TechnologyNovember 17, 2012
Department was only flexible when state regs were forced upon them.
Many employees do little while a few work hard to make up for the rest.
Best workers are laid off or forced out to find other jobs.
Pros
close to where i live
Cons
everything else
Junior level rough
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJanuary 4, 2013
At hte junior level, long hours for relatively low pay but you get amazing training and exposure.
A good place to work
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 19, 2015
I work a full time position where i work with talented co-workers. The atmosphere is pleasant and the work can sometimes be much. I like working for my manager and i have friendly co-workers. The hardest part is when supplies come in and I have to put them away. The enjoyable part is working with co-workers.
Productive, challenging, Strong critical thinking ability
Fiscal Technician/Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 18, 2012
I like the way I get lost in my work by making critical reasonable judgement, daily data entry input for campus financial reporting.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no advancement, low pay, no perks
Great benefits and time off for staff
Assist and delegate work (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMarch 24, 2015
Overall a good company to work for. I enjoy the fact that I get so much time off every year. It allows me the time to do things that I enjoy doing.
Pros
steady paycheck
Cons
not enough pay
Busy work place
Travel Clerk Sr. Fiscal Technician (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg VaNovember 11, 2012
I am looking to advance, this company does not have advancement for me at this time, I am looking to grow.
Pros
flexable
Cons
health care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at College of William and Mary. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2