College of William and Mary Employee Reviews

It was a job.
Facilities Management (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAOctober 12, 2017
I worked for Facilities Management at the College of William & Mary.

Basically we would set up events and ride around completing work orders throughout the day. If a student needed a new desk or bed (etc.) it was our job to take care of it.

It was probably the easiest job I ever had but it simply just didn't pay enough.
Elegant College
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAAugust 7, 2017
The studying environment is very good, small, quite, and elegant. The academic in science is not strong but the professors are all nice.
The college is academic good in history and literature but not on science
Pros
Studying enviroment
Outstanding
Area Director (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAAugust 3, 2017
William and Mary is an outstanding institution that that is warm and very inviting. The educational basis is beyond compare. I the area is a capital of knowledge.
Great environment
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAApril 13, 2017
loved my job with W&M Athletics. Great working environment. Pay could have been better. Great colleagues, great position to empower young people and become a better version of yourself.
Highly demanding tenure process without work/life balance
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAFebruary 11, 2017
I went through the tenure process at W&M, and worked many 60 or 70 hour weeks to the detriment of family life. Contrary to many universities and colleges, W&M requires excellence in everything: research, teaching, service. That means you never can rest assured of having done enough, can never say no to new tasks. There is no support framework, and all you hear from colleagues is that it's bad and they want to leave.
Pros
Some supportive colleagues, excellent students.
Cons
Poor management at dean's level, micromanagement.
Overall Amazing Experience
Mathematics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJanuary 19, 2017
This school is challenging, but worth it. However, I only worked for myself as a tutor here, and volunteer positions in clubs. Therefore, I am not qualified to leave a review as an employee.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJanuary 19, 2017
- safe campus
- fun
wonderful and quirky
Yoga Instructor (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VADecember 17, 2016
best support and teamwork.

always helping each other

i love the students/clients who encourage to be the best and have a fun time teaching the classes

great admin team o keep everyone on schedule and on the know
Pros
useful feedback to improve
Old buildings, young people
Research & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAOctober 4, 2016
Thanks for paying my way to a Masters! I'm pretty glad I do not have to grade any more papers though. The grading load can be pretty heavy.
If you are a liar, you will fit in,
Peon Worker (Former Employee) –  Unadvancement DepartmentSeptember 12, 2016
Wait a minute. Let me barf before I give you may short analysis and experience of working in the un-advancement division of the college. If you are a hard worker with good skills, you can forget it. You will be snuffed out by the prima donna management and liars that make it what it is. Lying is the number one priority and takes very little, if not any skill level what so ever and is spread all the way to the HR dept.
Pros
The college is beautiful and so are the students.
Cons
Well, if you work there watch out for the snake pit.
Nice experience
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 1, 2016
Teaching assistant for the accounting program that I just graduated from. Work with professors and students. Grade homework/exams, answer questions and hold review sessions
Great professors, great research experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 20, 2016
Unpaid research assistant position on a College-sponsored project. Great experience in academia, recommended for any students.
Laid back and professional atmosphere
Tribe Tutor Zone English Language Assistance Tutor (Current Employee) –  Swem LibraryMay 6, 2016
At William and Mary, I worked as an ESL tutor and a Writing tutor in the school's library. It was a very fun place to work, full of well-rounded, kindhearted, and extremely motivated students. I led 60 or 90 minute individual consultations with students, where we discussed writing style, content, argument strength, grammar, and more.This was such a rewarding job, because I felt as though I was helping make a difference in the lives of students by increasing their confidence in their academic writing skills, and helping ease their anxiety about evaluation of their work.
Pros
Rewarding, friendly coworkers, wonderful boss, grateful clients
Cons
Low pay
Enjoyable workplace with wonderful management and coworkers.
Circulation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJanuary 25, 2016
A truly wonderful workplace with a focus on enriching customer experience and service. Understanding and friendly management with great coworkers. Works out personal schedules for a good balance between work and personal life.
Pros
Wonderful managment, open work environment, flexible scheules
Cons
Low pay, not much room for advancement
Amazing place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJanuary 20, 2016
Everyday is a new challenge and experience to learn from. With all the systems that are on campus you will learn multitude of designs and operations.
A good place to work
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 19, 2015
I work a full time position where i work with talented co-workers. The atmosphere is pleasant and the work can sometimes be much. I like working for my manager and i have friendly co-workers. The hardest part is when supplies come in and I have to put them away. The enjoyable part is working with co-workers.
Positive Experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMay 20, 2015
I worked in the chemistry department as a research assistant. Faculty was largely really dependable and great to work with.
Great benefits and time off for staff
Assist and delegate work (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMarch 24, 2015
Overall a good company to work for. I enjoy the fact that I get so much time off every year. It allows me the time to do things that I enjoy doing.
Pros
steady paycheck
Cons
not enough pay
Wonderful job and great work environment!
Director of Admissions and Student Affairs (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAFebruary 19, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed every minute working at William & Mary. I left there after almost 7 years to move out to be near my family here in Colorado.

A typical workday was fast-paced, constant interaction with students, managing applications for the program, and working closely with faculty and staff.

I learned that I'm really great at working with students and thrive in that environment
Pros
Always felt appreciated; got lots of merit raises over the years
Cons
None!
Historical Educational Institution
Human Resources Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VANovember 26, 2014
Conducted informational presentations to staff by providing excellent communication skills, reviewed applicant pool, background checks and analyzed salary compensation for current employees. Provided a variety of administrative support and to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
Pros
Short commute