College Of The Albemarle Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Computer Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Edenton, NCMay 22, 2017
Great opportunity to help change student's lives, and give them guidance and engorgement that they will need to be successful with their education. The work environment is easy paced, fun, and exciting.
Dedicated professionals
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCApril 22, 2017
Wonderful place to work. The administrative staff, office staff, and teachers are dedicated professionals who are compassionate about their job and students.
Pros
Small community college with dedicated staff
Great place to work.
Proiessional Tutor (Former Employee) –  Edenton, NCMarch 27, 2017
A typical day at College of the Albemarle would begin with showing up early to review previous days work. Write announcements on board. As students show up, explain work to be done, check for understanding, and allow independent work.

I learned that students learn in different ways and that some need more time to complete assignments than others.

All my students were at different levels in their ability to learn new ideas and concepts. Therefore, I had many different lesson plans each day that had to be implemented to benefit my students.

The hardest part of my job was working with the mentally challenged. I love to see people succeed. One or two of my students did not seem to be able to grasp certain concepts. I needed to research different ways to help them.

The most enjoyable part was seeing my students pass each test and ultimately obtain their GED/High School Diploma.
Pros
Students success in passing tests necessary for GED/High School Diploma
Cons
Students with difficulties in learning new ideas and concepts
Coa
Assistant Professor of Business (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCNovember 14, 2016
Overall a great place to work; however compensation is very low compared to others within this state and across the nation.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Never know when one's schedule may change.
Excellent Atmosphere
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Manteo, NCNovember 13, 2016
Excellent place to work
The employees genuinely care about you
The atmosphere is positive
The Deans want what's best for their employees
The supervisor is willing to work around your busy schedule
Pros
The employees are loving
Cons
Aren't any
Fast Learner and hardworking
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCFebruary 5, 2016
Hardworking individual with a profound background in handling cleaning and maintenance work inside buildings and on parking lots and grounds. Strong knowledge of mixing cleaning materials by following set safety procedures and conforming to the company’s cleaning regulations. Also I have a strong background in cleaning services such as waxing floors, cleaning surfaces and removing garbage.
A positive and vibrant workplace accomodating BLET Cadets
Assistant to BLET Director (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCDecember 15, 2015
Great organization where co workers work together to assist and evaluate the performance of the cadets in the Basic Law Enforcement Training Program.
Pros
free lunches, family oriented space, flexible work schedule
Productive and character building environment
Library Aide (Former Employee) –  LibraryApril 19, 2015
Clean the books
Shelf the books according to numerical order
Check books in and out
monitor computer usage
keeps work areas of others clean
Pros
short miles
Cons
boring
Work Study Position
ASSISTANT TO FTE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NC 27909September 17, 2014
This was a job that was critical for the College of the Albemarle, involving yearly fiscal audits by the state. It was a job that required critical thinking as well as paying attention to details such as calculating classroom hours and finding errors that could amount to severe fines against the college. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the instructors and getting to know people from all cultural backgrounds and interest.. My co-workers were the nicest people to work with and that was the awesome part of working as a work study at the College of the Albemarle.
Pros
Enjoyable position with interesting people.
Too much job turnover in administration, faculty and staff
Former Student (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJuly 13, 2014
I am not an employee, but a member of the COA Alumni. When I graduated in 2002, it was a fun place full of employees who enjoyed their job and worked collaboratively. Recently, I have returned to find that many of the employees have been terminated, forced to retire or have left to find jobs in Virginia to compensate their worth and value. Employees have felt under-appreciated and over-worked.
It is still a good place for upper administration who falls "in-line" with the current culture, but don't be surprised when you come to work each day feeling unsure if it is your last.
Pros
Four campus locations, instructors and staff who love what they do
Cons
upper administration, high employee turnover rates
Continuing Education Photography Course
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Gates County, North CarolinaMay 28, 2014
While teaching this course I was able to introduce students to 35mm film photography and the darkroom processes of film and paper photographs. During that summer I learned how to maintain class attendance, a course syllabus and assignment critique and grading.
Director, Counseling and Career Development (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCFebruary 4, 2014
Working at a community college requires the ability to wear different hats and do a lot for students without always having the best resources. Other than that the college is becoming more collabrotive and has improved communications at all levels. The only perks is the opportunity for professional development, the school schedule, and being able to have a break during the summer by working a 4 day work week. Great place to work if you are raising kids. Local schools are not that good except Dare and Camden.
Pros
Work schedule, collaborative environment
Cons
Do more with less, under funded, and low salaries
Cool place of employment.
Full Time Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJuly 23, 2013
Nice people and great students. Collaborating with other instructors makes the job much more intriguing.
Great place to work and learn!
Assisting instructors (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCMarch 22, 2013
While working as a work study, I kept tract of students attendance and grades. I would help them whenever they had questions about assignments and questions in general.

Working with the instructors has been very informative and enjoyable.

The most enjoyable part of the day was helping someone solve a problem and seeing them satisfied.
Comfortable work environment with friendly people
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NC 27909March 16, 2013
You recieve an hour lunch break everyday with beaks in between. You share offices as an assistant but overall a good place to work.
great job
Math Tutor/Open Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCDecember 19, 2012
more great experience for the future. great job and overall job
Pros
great
This was a fabulous job!
Assistant to FTE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCOctober 25, 2012
A typical day at work for me was fast paced and constant reviewing of paperwork associated with college classes. My boss was amazing to work for, and the best part of the job was the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job was the yearly audits. Months and months of planning, checking for accuracy of the college class rosters. After the audits were over and no errors were found there was a great relief.
Pros
i loved working with my boss, and really everyone at coa.
Cons
the auditing stress was the worst.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at College Of The Albemarle. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3