College of the Canyons Employee Reviews

enjoyed working in this environment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAApril 28, 2017
Serve visitors by greeting, welcoming, directing and announcing them appropriately
Answer, screen and forward any incoming phone calls while providing basic information when needed
Receive and sort daily mail/deliveries/couriers
Update appointment calendars and schedule meetings/appointments
Monitor internal and external phone calls by answering and transferring calls, and taking accurate message and passing them to staff in a timely manner.
Greet clients and guests at reception by presenting a positive, welcoming, and professional environment.
All Excellent Employers
Family Nurse Practitioner, Student Health Center (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAJanuary 16, 2017
Enjoyed all employment each workplace varied in hours and responsibilities. Coworkers were exceptional. Hardest part of the job was taking work home. All parts of these positions were enjoyable.
great place for students to work
Front Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAJanuary 9, 2017
great place for a student to work at because you are on campus as well as them giving you very flexible hours. A typical day of work involved helping students as well as front desk duties. There was a lot of organizing of documents and things in the office.
Great environment to cultivate professional skills
First-Year Experience Leader (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CANovember 28, 2016
Working in this field as a First-Year Experience leader afforded the opportunity to learn professional skills first hand while collaborating with colleagues and students.
office job
Transfer Center (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CASeptember 6, 2016
I work at tge transfer center. I do paperwork for my boss. Also I am able to do homewolsowhen it is not that busy in the office. I can eat while I work. Sometimes can be hard to balance school and tranportation, but I am in charge of my life desicions.
Pros
light job, office job, I can do homework while I work
Cons
I do not get healthcare but I do have it
Excellent Career!
Veteran Student Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAAugust 8, 2016
Great environment! The benefits offered at College of the Canyons is wonderful and they salary is great. I served as a liaison between several departments and everyone is very nice and helpful.
Who's to blame this time...
College Assistant - Tutoring Center (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJuly 15, 2016
Working at the TLC as a front desk clerk has its perks, such as having the time to do things you need to accomplish, such as homework, and other activities since there can be a lot of downtime. However, management is poor to say the least. There is ineffective communication between what is expected from the employee. The culture is absolutely horrible as many student workers love to blame others and shame those who have made mistakes. Others are quick to judge on how others can perform their simple job duties. There is no constructive criticism when being corrected on errors. Usually, it is an email blast to all the employees stating what error was made. Usually the older employees have some sort of entitled demeanor when it comes to training the new employees. The manager trusts too much in his older employees and does not see how his older employees treat new employees. Sometimes humiliating the newer trainees in the mistakes they make. They make it a hassle to ask for help or clarification, as sign in procedures can be quite extensive to memorize. Sometimes those who work hard and do all the work are not praised because they may have a quiet demeanor.

That is why I chose not to be involved with the culture at the TLC, I did not want to be a part of it. However, I stayed working there because it allowed me to do my school work during the down time which was a huge benefit to me.

TLC is a great place to work while you are in school at College of the Canyons. However, the culture established there is unprofessional and something you do not want to take part in.
Pros
Downtime
Cons
Culture & Management
Good environment.
College Assistant, Payroll Department (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAJuly 5, 2016
It is a good place to work in terms of environment and the people are nice and pleasant to work with. College of the Canyons can be rated as one of the most prestigious community college in California. The management are always aware of the needs of each department and student. The Campus Security are always aware and care for the safety of the students and employees.
Fun People and Challenging Work
College Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAJuly 3, 2016
Being a Student Ambassador was great! Learning the history of the school and helping students and parents get around and excited about attending school was very rewarding.
Good
Ticketing and Patron Service (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAMay 31, 2016
Great company to work for. Can be challenging but it has helped me grow as a person. The only thing I would change is having more hours. Other than that, this company has great people working for it and I enjoy working with the public.
Productive and professional work environment
College Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 17, 2016
I worked as a front desk receptionist at The Learning Center, i mainly delt with checking students in and out. After that i was promoted to be a computer tutor for a year and half. I taught student's face to face and helped them prepare their homework, projects, and exams.
Engineering was a Great Learning Experience
Engineer/ Custodian (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 3, 2016
I never worked as an Engineer but was taught by some very experience people. Air Conditioning and Refrigeration was specifically new to me and I was able to pick it up easily along with Electrical & some Plumbing.
Good Experience
Instructor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAJanuary 26, 2016
Assisted a department chair, in daily aspects.
Both with clerical and classroom duties.
Learned more about the inner workings of a school.
Excellent Workplace
V.P. Event Coordinator for Canyon Country Campus (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 1, 2015
My fellow coworkers were easy to communicate with and equally as ambitious as I. It was a wonderful experience to be able to work with the staff and vendors to put on school funded events.
Worked as an unpaid Undergraduate Researcher
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAOctober 23, 2015
I was a student attending College of the Canyons and worked as an unpaid Undergraduate Researcher. College of the Canyons from a student's viewpoint is excellent.
Pros
Good college
Good school
Kim Dawson Acting Conservatory (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJuly 28, 2015
This is a very good school I have learned a lot from the professors. I am going to school to become an educator to teach kids performing arts.
This is a college not a job for me. I at C.O.C to add my education and gain a degree
Students and faculty are a pleasure to work with
Welding Instructor (Current Employee) –  Valencia, Ca.April 30, 2015
Being able to teach others is very fulfilling, especially when they absorbed and replicate what you have taught them. All faculty are very nice and helpful. The campus is well kept offering a very safe and pleasant environment.
Pros
each semester is different
Cons
full time not available
A great place to learn.
Student (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAMarch 5, 2015
College of the Canyons is a great place for those looking to further their education without having to pay university prices. The institution offers several associate level degrees in a variety of fields, as well as offering a select amount of university-level courses. There are a variety of programs that are available to assist students in many ways, be it financial or educational. While it does not have some of the facilities or resources that a university may have, it offers a great place to start on earning a higher education.
Pros
Affordable, Small class sizes, Easily accessable
Cons
Does not have the same resources as larger colleges or a university
Productive, friedly and enjoyable work place.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAJuly 1, 2014
College of the Canyons is a community college located at Santa Clarita CA. I am working at the College of the Canyons for over nine years (part time). I am always surrounded by highly educated staff and faculty members. I have acquired lots of great experience working with our professional staff in different departments. College of the Canyons has been a supportive environment in my working toward my educational goals. The college has skilled and professional management for each department. The hardest part of my job is the registration time. We get busy with lots of students trying to pay off their registrations fees, picking up their parking passes, requesting refunds, and extra. I enjoy helping students in their journey to achieve their goal and get a higher education.
Great School and program to teach
Auto Technology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Canyon Country, CAMarch 3, 2014
I enjoy teaching at COC. My job includes writing lesson plans, issuing assignments, giving lectures, teaching important points from videos, giving PPT presentations and managing the Auto Lab.

I've learning important facets of how to teach more effectively and communicate better with the students. I am able to impart more information now more effectively than before.

The direct manager and Department Head always offers me the the opportunity to teach new classes as they become available.

The hardest part of the job is trying to meet the various levels of learning in the class so everyone is able to learn the material.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the students grow, learn and change for the better.
Pros
Great teaching facility
Cons
The restrictions regarding which vehicles can be worked on in the shop.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at College of the Canyons. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6