College of the Desert Employee Reviews

Good benefits provided by employer
Bursar's Technician (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAOctober 22, 2017
A typical day at work in College of the Desert can be very challenging due to constant interruptions at the workplace. I am constantly learning new things in a changing environment.
Pros
Good health benefits and numerous vacation days.
Cons
You have to deal with a lot of bureaucracy in order to get things done.
Fun work flow great staff
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAOctober 20, 2017
pros student work allows you to go to class they work around you
cons you cant work past 4 or 5 at least that was y situation I am not sure if every department is different.
Wonderful workplace
ADMISSIONS & RECORDS TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAOctober 13, 2017
College of the desert is a dynamic and fast pace work place and it is a diverse and productive place to work. staff and faculty are always helpful and supportive or one another.
Great location; some excellent people to work with
Vice President Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAAugust 6, 2017
Spectacular location to live and work; College is an integral part of the community; some excellent people who care about students; recommend you check it out for potential work
Buen ambiente buen trabajo
Recepcionista (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAApril 22, 2017
Tutora de ingles y espanol
Recepcionista, mantener registro de los estudiantes que entran y salen del centro de tutoria.
Generalmente muy buen ambiente de trabajo, un lugar tranquilo donde el aprendizaje es clave.
fun environment, great people.
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 25, 2016
Being greeted and feeling the love each and every day, no matter the personal issues. Collaborating with co-workers to satisfy customers, every one always willing to help
Pros
grat birthday lunches, and end of the year celebrations
Cons
not enough hours.
Fast paced child care facility
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 5, 2016
Great place to learn and keep up with a busy administrative routine.
Enjoyable atmosphere from managers to employees to parents and babies.
Great learning environment with a real team like comradery.
Lab Tech Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAFebruary 11, 2016
Everyday is a positive experience full of exciting people. In the technical mechanical setting this workplace provides it is almost impossible not to learn something new each and everyday.
A campus going through transformation which values student success.
Director, Library & Learning Resources (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CADecember 16, 2015
Each day is a new beginning at COD. The staff is incredible as they work as a team to accomplish the tasks at hand. Students and student success is a priority. The librarian liaison program is a success as librarians work with faculty to create a meaningful presentation on accessing library resources to succeed in their courses.
Staff in the Academic Skills Center work well with tutors to pair them with students to meet academic success.
I have learned to ask a lot of questions and to listen to those who have a lot experience or expertise in the department. There is a great deal of creativity among experienced staff.
The hardest part of the job is the time needed to get to know the college campus and organizational structure in a complex and challenging environment. The greatest satisfaction is having students thank you for the time you gave them or cheering them on to fulfill their academic dream.
Pros
Student engagement, athletic programs, theatre and the arts
Cons
Having adequate or timely public transportation between campuses based on schedule of classes.
Going over and above to give good customer service to students, faculty, staff, and the public
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CADecember 9, 2015
A fun place to work with supportive management. In the Counseling Center, we served approximately 200 students during a typical day. There were many opportunities to serve on various committees within the College, i.e., the Health and Welfare Committee, the College Council, etc., and opportunities for advancement.

Why did I leave?
I took an early retirement incentive in order to move back to Colorado.
Pros
Great health benefits, free classes for both employees and their children.
Cons
A decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a large community college.
The faculty, staff and students always worked together to promote the college campus unity
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CANovember 4, 2015
I enjoyed working in three distinct departments. In each department I worked with students, faculty and classified staff. I was able to use my administrative skills, but was also introduced to assisting in the hiring process of classified and certificated staff. I also was able to participate in fundraisers for the college.
Pros
The College was always trying to improve relations between students, staff and community
Cons
Needed more off-site locations
Excellent 2 year community college. Important to maintain open dialouge with students and staff, both classified and certified.
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CANovember 4, 2015
If offered the opportunity to return to College of the Desert, I would.

I worked in 3 different types of environments during the 5 years that I was employed. I worked with students, counselors, I also interfaced with parents. I also worked in the adult extension program where I worked closely with certificated and non-certificated instructors. I was asked n several occasions to participate in fund-raising events that benefited non-profit organizations. I also participated on hiring panels for both certified and classified employees.

It was rare that I encountered negative statements or situations during my employment. All faculty and staff were willing to come to a middle ground on occasions were conflict arose.

I was able to go beyond the scope of secretarial skills by participating in fund raisers, and assisting in the development of curriculum where by administrative and clerical skills applied and participating in several hiring panels.

College of the Desert was one of my best and most rewarding of positions that I have held in the educational parameter.
Pros
Loved classified staff breakfast and employee of the year reception
Cons
More communication with the Business office
Lovely place to work
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAAugust 4, 2015
Great boss, helpful and engaged coworkers, and family atmosphere. Enjoyable experience, lots of learning opportunities and growth possibilities.
Extremely busy, interesting and challenging workplace.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAAugust 3, 2015
Each day bought new challenges and opportunities to utilize skills, decision making ability and growth. Enjoyed working with management, staff, faculty and students.
Great position with great benefits
Mail Technician/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAApril 23, 2015
My main focus was to sort and deliver mail to faculty and staff, but since I had many years of experience at the US Postal Service, and I have good hand and eye coordination, there was not enough work to fill my day. I informed my supervisor of this issue, and offered to assist my co-workers in their work, if needed. My supervisor allowed me to learn different fields in our department, that I may not have learned otherwise. This supervisor was one of the best I have ever worked under. The hardest part of the job was learning the college-specific software; it was complicated, but not difficult. I enjoyed every aspect of my work. Time flew by and I looked forward to going to work every day.
Pros
Good hours, co-workers, supervisor, learning and growing
Cons
Occasionally lifting heavy packages
Fun people and helpful learning place!
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  MeccaMarch 19, 2015
Talking to and assisting students with various student needs.
I learned how to professionally and how to better use a computer.
My coworkers were always fun to be around.
The hardest part of the job is how busy it gets in the beginning and ending of the semester.
The most enjoyable thing is helping students with their educational career.
Reliable but limited
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJanuary 23, 2015
When i started, I enjoyed my position very much. as management changed the communication from management disappeared and I never had the information I needed to do my job. My co-workers were unreliable ultimately became an unpleasant place to work.

The position is easy to keep. The pay and hours are locked and do not increase, but the hours fit around your schedule and you never have to worry about staying late. This is a great position if you don't care about the performance of the office. If you want to be helpful and make any difference then this isn't the position i would recommend.
Pros
Flexible hours. Secure position. Short shifts.
Cons
No advancement. Limited hours/pay. Unpleasant environment.
Student Worker
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CANovember 12, 2014
College Of The Desert was a good starting point to develop ones Interpersonal Communication skills.
Very exciting place to work great staff
Data Entry Associate (Temporary Student Worker) (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CANovember 6, 2014
Very great staff and wonderful place to work. The staff is very helpful and caring. Had an excellent experience and was well treated and helped a lot. Very helpful with classes and supplies when needed.
Pros
free gas once a month
Cons
no complaints
Awaiting for Assignment
Adjunct Child Development Faculty Pool (Current Employee) –  Palm DesertOctober 26, 2014
I have yet to actually teach, but have been in great conversations with the powers that be to begin in January.