College of the Desert

College of the Desert Employer Reviews

Student Worker
Student Worker (Former Employee), Palm Desert, CANovember 12, 2014
College Of The Desert was a good starting point to develop ones Interpersonal Communication skills.
Very exciting place to work great staff
Data Entry Associate (Temporary Student Worker) (Former Employee), Palm Desert, CANovember 6, 2014
Pros: free gas once a month
Cons: no complaints
Very great staff and wonderful place to work. The staff is very helpful and caring. Had an excellent experience and was well treated and helped a lot. Very helpful with classes and supplies when needed.
Awaiting for Assignment
Adjunct Child Development Faculty Pool (Current Employee), Palm DesertOctober 26, 2014
I have yet to actually teach, but have been in great conversations with the powers that be to begin in January.
Fun professional giving its a community college
Student (Former Employee), palm desert, caAugust 18, 2014
Pros: most classes available to transfer
Cons: you struggle to sign into classes.
Good, proffessors who care for students- well not all. Great programs.
A good place to work
Educational Support Services Technician (Former Employee), Palm Desert, CaliforniaApril 4, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: the overall culture of the college could be challenging at times
At College of the Desert, I worked in three offices: Educational Support Services, Admissions & Records and the Bursar's office. Detailed explanations of each of these positions has been submitted in previous reviews herein.

Specific to Educational Support Services, the job entailed detailed record keeping and filing, and assisting faculty with grading, posting positive attendance, scantron grading, among many other tasks. I learned about working in an educational setting. The department management was exceptional, as were my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was calculating positive attendance. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with faculty.
I take pride and satisfaction in my job and enjoy a good day's work.
Custodian/Maintenance (Current Employee), Palm Desert, CASeptember 12, 2013
Pros: good health care and retirement plan
Cons: must work nights
Our day starts in the Maintenance office.

Our supervisor gives us any new information concerning our job, such as set ups of tables & chairs or if someone is missing due to vacation or sick leave how we are to cover their area.

Our management is very minimal, since we know what or assigned areas and duties are and how to best perform our duties.

My co-workers and I work well together to cover our areas.

I'm always learning better ways to perform my duties from the newest cleaners and equipment to personal interaction with co-workers, students and other employees.

The hardest part of my job is when I have a busy work load and find out I need to cover a co-workers area in addition to my own.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when the job is well done.
Great Long Term Employer
Systems Specialist (Current Employee), Palm Desert, CAJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: new challenges every day.
Cons: financial crisis in education has made percs hard to come by.
College of the Desert has given me the ability to develop my technical skills by allowing me to work on projects to assist our internal clients. I have been given the opportunity to develop our technical training and the promotional materials. I am encouraged by my manager to find better ways to complete tasks and if I find or develop something, I am allowed to present it and provide the training or documentation.

The most enjoyable part of my daily job is creating and building on the professional relationships among my peers. I have been able to touch all the areas of the college from Maintenance and Operations to the President's Office. I get a real feeling of community and desire to assist my peers in their jobs as well as doing my own. I have helped others through the development of several online forms using Infopath to automate processes. This has enabled me to learn more about the different areas that support the students and organization.
Environement de travail agréable et de service
Upward Bound Secretary-Bilingual (Former Employee), Palm Desert, CANovember 18, 2013
Pros: horaires flexibles et place de parking
Cons: travail temporaire
Journée de travail:
-Arrivée le matin au environ des 8h.
-Vérification des emails ainsi que des messages du répondeur.
-Organisation des budgets et des comptes pour les dépenses journalière et mensuel.
-Enregistrement des nouveaux étudiants: Création du dossier, vérification des données, ...
-Prises de rendez-vous pour les professeurs et les conseillers
-Traduction de divers documents d'espagnol en anglais et vice versa.

Opportunités de développement:
Limitée au niveau professionnel mais très grande au niveau personnel du fait de cotoyer en permanance de nombreuses personnes aux parcours divers.
Par contre, opportunité de developpement dans les bureaux annexes au niveau du collège.

Management et collaborateurs:
J'ai eu l'opportunité de travailler avec un team excellent de professionnels qui se dédient à 100 pourcent pour le bien être et l'éducation des étudiants ayant des problèmes financier, venant de famille sans éducation.

Aspect difficile de mon travail:
Limitation de budget par l'Etat important ce qui nous demandais de faire des choix vis-à-vis des étudiants selectionné au niveau du programme

Aspect le plus agréable:
Journée de cérémonie de diplomes avec les étudiants ayant bénéficier du programme dont j'étais responsable. Voyage de présentation des opportunités ouverte grâce au programme (universitées, colleges, ...)