COLLEGE OF THE HOLY CROSS Employee Reviews

Holy Cross Review
Manager (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 10, 2017
Holy Cross can be a decent place to work if you're in the correct department. Work-life balance is decent, however wage/salary scale is behind-the-times.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Pay
Productive and Fun
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 25, 2017
This is a perfect place to meet all your friends. It is a place where the captains and workers/managers are always willing to help and assist you. They are not here to set you up to fail in life and are very encouraging.
Productive and cooperative environment
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 23, 2017
I would typically get situated and begin taking orders. I'd clean when things slowed down. The job was great with my co-workers. It felt like I was working with family. Everyone was kind and helped one another out. That was really enjoyable. The hardest part was getting a massive amount of orders in a short span of time; however; working with my supervisor and co-workers made it less stressful and doable. I learned a lot about working with a team, and developed great communication skills through interacting with customers with regular orders and special dietary restrictions requiring delicate care with other customers order. At the end of my shift, I would clean and stock up, and then we'd close the location.
Fast-paced and dynamic work environment
Assistant Women's Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 17, 2017
Work as a division one basketball coach is challenging, but rewarding. The most important thing I have learned is how to manage players and motivate them everyday. The hardest part is connecting with a younger and ever-evolving generation. This connection takes a persistent thirst for techniques and knowledge on how to grow and cultivate culture within a team.
Pros
Active and on the court with players.
Cons
Work-life balance
Useful
Dining Services (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 24, 2017
I am prepared to work at any coffee shop, fast food restaurant, or dining establishment because of the work study jobs offered through dining services.
Student Job
Educational technology assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 1, 2017
Felixible job for students with some HTML experience, student success in the classroom or at a sport is always made the priority. The job never comes before the student
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Low Pay
Job is very challenging but never a dull moment
Cook (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 13, 2017
I am always learning or teaching someone something there is never a dull moment and your never bored there is something to do I love to work with the different personalities.
Pros
Lots of time off with pay after years of hard work
All about the money now
Employee (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 8, 2017
They rarely promote from within anymore.
Pay for non faculty staff is on the low end of the national scale.
Most departments are under staffed.
Communication between departments is terrible.
Holy Cross
BARISTA/GRILL (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 28, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was by far the students. They are our future and seeing everyone working so hard towards their goal and career was very inspiring. Overall loved my job, all though always a little under staffed, i enjoyed the fast pace environment and working with students.
Take care before joining
Div. of Admin, Finance & Investments (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 18, 2016
• Applicants should seriously consider and research the institution’s reputation in their given field. Calls to peers in the industry would be wise.
• In some departments, senior staff lacks industry experience outside of the institution. This may lead to errors which well trained professionals typically would not make.
• In the experience of a past employee, little to no training and mentoring was provided to junior professionals. Senior staff was at times absent for extended and/or critical periods.
• Career growth within some departments of the institution is limited or non-existent.
• A insider/outsider culture has developed in administration based on time at the institution.
• Performance reviews are simplistic in nature and senior staff has indicated that “no one gets the top score in any category”
• Policies of the institution have at times been applied inconsistently between senior and junior staff
• Providing constructive and fact-based feedback to senior staff is has been classified as insubordination.
• A tendency towards gossip is a concern.
Pros
limited supervision
Cons
no personal development

Want to know more about COLLEGE OF THE HOLY CROSS?

Ask a question
Challenging academic atmosphere but a fun student culture
Student Caller (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 17, 2016
The College of the Holy Cross is a tough academic institution, but the student culture is a lot of fun, and many people make connections that last a lifetime.
Great school, great student athletes
Outside Linebackers Coach (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 5, 2016
Great place to work, high intensity during work days, great management. Great kids with great attitudes. Very long days no days off.
Pros
Free housing and meals
Cons
Long Days
Great Liberal Arts School
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 29, 2015
The staff is great and always eager to help. Although the academics are rigorous, there is always assistance to be found and much to learn.
A learning experience
First Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 12, 2015
Holy Cross was a good learning experience for me and my family. We were able to meet some really nice people throughout the community. The school is a very prestigious academic institution that has a number of alums that have gone on to do tremendous things after their time at Holy Cross.
I was fortunate and blessed to have coached at Holy Cross for the past five seasons. I was able to teach, coach, and groom some great young men.
Pros
Coaching a great group of young men
Cons
Having to leave
Productive and fun place to work
EDITORIAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 3, 2015
I have worked in the PR office for two years. Everyone is extremely supportive and helping me advance my career post graduation. Great learning environment.
easy going work environment
trades (Current Employee) –  worcester, maDecember 14, 2014
The pay and benefits have not been updated since the 60's. Most trades are underpaid by at least $10/hr. This is not a true merit shop as people with the same job title and responsibilities can make double based on seniority. It will take you 8 years to acquire 3 weeks vacation and 16 years to acquire 4 weeks. You will be on call all weekdays and only be paid for being on call for weekends in rotation at a whopping $25 before taxes. If pay and benefits could be updated for modern times this would be a fantastic place to work, but don't count on that.
Pros
free bitter coffee, 12 holidays
Cons
pay, benefits, management
Great lab experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 14, 2014
Fun and exciting lab to be a part of. The lab students worked very well together, each using his or her skill set to make the team better.
Club Position
Undergraduate Research Student (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 9, 2014
Fun leadership position.
Fun people to work with.
RSO position.
Excellent
Investment Office Equity Analyst (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 2, 2014
students gain real world experiences through working on research projects and community-service projects.
Great sense of community!
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 20, 2014
The people you work with are great and there is a sense of community.
Pros
free lunch