COLLEGE OF THE MAINLAND Employee Reviews

Enjoyable and pays well
Supplemental Instructor Leader (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXMay 27, 2017
You take a class again because you are assigned to a certain group of students within that class. A normal day at work would be to attend said class and afterward hold a study session (that you reserved specifically for this).

The workplace culture was otherwise relaxed and you could make friends with the other students you help. The main purpose of an SI is to approach and help others as a fellow student, rather than an authority figure.

Finals week could get hectic if you also have finals for other classes but since you were probably selected for your qualities as an excellent example student, chances are that you can handle it.

The best part of this job is knowing you helped someone pass or get an even better grade than they thought they could achieve.
good school to attend
school student (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXMay 22, 2017
learn how to weld

trainer is a good understanding teacher

great with student and showing them how to weld

helps if you have trouble welding the metal
Great work envoirment
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXApril 7, 2017
The job could be challenging at times, but management was great. The workplace was also very relaxed. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help other students grow.
Productive and fun work place
Process Technology Department Tutor (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXOctober 26, 2016
I enjoy working for the College of the Mainland. Everyone here has been supportive of my accomplishments. My supervisors are always encouraging me and wishing me the best of luck in finding a career in the petrochemical industry.
Pros
make my own schedule around my classes
Excellent Nursing Program
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXJuly 6, 2016
Most of the staff is very caring and motivating. They really want to see you succeed. The clinical rotations were always great. The instructors were always available to help.
Friendly, fun place to have a career
HVAC Technician (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Craft oriented workplace with friendly confident people. Due to under staffing the work became unmanageable for maintenance. The work changed from proactive to reactive in the last couple of years I was there. We had an eight man maintenance team when I started and only four men later on.
Pros
Bennifits
Cons
Under staffed
Enjoyable Coworkers
Accounting Specialist Part-time, On-call Cashier (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXDecember 14, 2015
I absolutely LOVED working here. It was a wonderful experience for learning more about the college world. I learned how to handle aggressive situations. Management was amazing as well. I think the most enjoyable part of this job was the people you get to meet. And the hardest part of this job was definitely dealing with the frustration of people not being able to understand how the college financial department worked.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Not enough pay when you get started
Strong work study experience with flexibility.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXDecember 7, 2015
Overall I was able to achieve what I wanted during my time as a work study student. I was able to earn a decent paycheck while maintaining the time understanding that I needed as a college student.
College of the Mainland
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXNovember 19, 2015
I go to school there currently; it's a nice small school with a pond. I was a assistant lab associate and an SI there. I liked both jobs, my manager was super fun to talk to on a daily basis. I worked alone mostly, my boss would help me to pour agar because it is so time sensitive.
Typical day for myself as a Lab Assistant is to clean lab dishes, set up lab for the next morning or evening, or when needed, tests throughout the semester.

As an SI, I sat through classes I had already taken to teach and tutor students about the lecture that had gone over that day. Made weekly meetings and tutor sessions.
Pros
Super awesome schedule.
Cons
Lab Assistant: Creepy quiet in some buildings, SI: Students not showing up for sessions. But what can you do.
great college
student (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXSeptember 13, 2015
College of the Mainland is a great college to attend and the students and teachers are easy to along with. The teachers are willing to help you learn and willing to stay late if they have too.
Pros
great college
Cons
long classes
Love being a nurse and educator
RNC - Assistant Professor - Nursing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TexasJuly 29, 2015
Developed and presented power point presentations during lectures, nursing skills, clinical instructor in community hospitals and nursing homes. Excessive preparation time prior to lectures not favorable to my home work life balance due to sudden changes in clinical hours, recommended a preceptor to be more successful in the position. Successfully completed one semester and really enjoyed interactions with the students and faculty.
Pros
Educating student nurses - Fun job!
Cons
Not condusive to my home life balance needs.
not fun at all
IT Service Technician (Former Employee) –  League City, TXJanuary 16, 2015
co workers were ok, we were used as mules for machine deployment 1200 computers.
College
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXNovember 5, 2014
A typical day of work was attending faculty advisory meetings as a student representative. It was a lot of fun.
Great
Welding Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Texas CityAugust 14, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the students make progress in the shop.
What I learned from working there shop safety was the most important rule.
The hardest part of my job was absolutely nothing. I did my job 100% all the time.
Not a bad place to work. Easy money!
ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Texas City TXAugust 11, 2014
The pay is good and I enjoyed the students but some of the instructors treat their students poorly and the Dean doesn't do much about it. They had problems with the scheduling and messing paychecks as well.
I enjoy working for College of the Mainland.
ESL Multilevel Teacher, Substitute (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXAugust 10, 2014
Presently, I am a tester and a substitute teacher for ESL. I only go in when I am called. My co-works are friendly and helpful. I can't think of any difficult parts of my job. My job is very rewarding.
Work Study
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXJuly 19, 2014
Shelf reading
Helping others find books
Assisting others around the school
fun place busy and fun people to work with
Student Worker, Compress (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXJune 21, 2014
i learned how to be myself and yet professional. the hardest was dealing with people who are hard to be around.
Laid back college but with some issues
College Connections Advisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2014
2 months at the job and i never got trained, learned the computer program on my own. I spend a lot of my time at the High Schools talking to students.
The school does have some baggage-they have about 5 lawsuits from former employees..
It was a fun anf challenging place to work.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXOctober 23, 2013
At College of the Main Land I assisted the staff and students. I shared my knowledge with the staff and my personal books with the students. While working in the compute lab I learned new technology and programs It was very productive for me.
Pros
Learning while working.
Cons
The computer lab would often be full and other students would wait and complain.