COLLEGE OF THE MAINLAND Employee Reviews in United States

Enjoyable Coworkers
Accounting Specialist Part-time, On-call Cashier (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXDecember 14, 2015
I absolutely LOVED working here. It was a wonderful experience for learning more about the college world. I learned how to handle aggressive situations. Management was amazing as well. I think the most enjoyable part of this job was the people you get to meet. And the hardest part of this job was definitely dealing with the frustration of people not being able to understand how the college financial department worked.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Not enough pay when you get started
College of the Mainland
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXNovember 19, 2015
I go to school there currently; it's a nice small school with a pond. I was a assistant lab associate and an SI there. I liked both jobs, my manager was super fun to talk to on a daily basis. I worked alone mostly, my boss would help me to pour agar because it is so time sensitive.
Typical day for myself as a Lab Assistant is to clean lab dishes, set up lab for the next morning or evening, or when needed, tests throughout the semester.

As an SI, I sat through classes I had already taken to teach and tutor students about the lecture that had gone over that day. Made weekly meetings and tutor sessions.
Pros
Super awesome schedule.
Cons
Lab Assistant: Creepy quiet in some buildings, SI: Students not showing up for sessions. But what can you do.
Friendly, fun place to have a career
HVAC Technician (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Craft oriented workplace with friendly confident people. Due to under staffing the work became unmanageable for maintenance. The work changed from proactive to reactive in the last couple of years I was there. We had an eight man maintenance team when I started and only four men later on.
Pros
Bennifits
Cons
Under staffed
Love being a nurse and educator
RNC - Assistant Professor - Nursing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TexasJuly 29, 2015
Developed and presented power point presentations during lectures, nursing skills, clinical instructor in community hospitals and nursing homes. Excessive preparation time prior to lectures not favorable to my home work life balance due to sudden changes in clinical hours, recommended a preceptor to be more successful in the position. Successfully completed one semester and really enjoyed interactions with the students and faculty.
Pros
Educating student nurses - Fun job!
Cons
Not condusive to my home life balance needs.
Strong work study experience with flexibility.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXDecember 7, 2015
Overall I was able to achieve what I wanted during my time as a work study student. I was able to earn a decent paycheck while maintaining the time understanding that I needed as a college student.
They are public service oriented and employee satisfaction is priority.
Director of Police, Security and Safety (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXJune 19, 2012
A great place to work. The faculty and staff are very friendly. Administration respects all employee and involves them in decision making as well competitive benefits and salaries.
Pros
is 100% organized union
Cons
union sometimes supports those who are not worthy of support, due to inefficiencies
great college
student (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXSeptember 13, 2015
College of the Mainland is a great college to attend and the students and teachers are easy to along with. The teachers are willing to help you learn and willing to stay late if they have too.
Pros
great college
Cons
long classes
Campus Police Department
Admin Asst/Telecommunications Operator (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXSeptember 8, 2013
There is no such thing as a typical day when in law enforcement, but I started my shift with assisting the officers in details for unlocking buildings, answering calls of service, dispatching the officers, managing the office and handling the administrative duties, assisting the Chief of Police with reports, and officers with police reports. Data entry of tickets and citations.

Always learning so the job was enjoyable all the way around. The officers and I got along as well as a family does. It was a great group of people.
Pros
we work together as a family
Cons
na
Fun place to work and study
Computer Lab Clerk (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TexasFebruary 1, 2013
As a workstudy I loved it there, the money was just terrible, great people to work with in the tech voc lab
Pros
great co-workers and management
Cons
limited hours
Part time working as an adjunct instructor.
Mathematics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXAugust 28, 2013
I did not have an office or permanent classroom. A classroom was assigned each semester (sometimes a different room if I taught more than one class a semester). I had to arrive prepared with all materials I needed for that class period that day. It was exciting to see students learning. You could tell when the light bulb came on and things started to click for them.
Pros
help from the support staff was great.
Cons
1) a few times my class was canceled or combined with another, 2) i would not have a class to teach for that semester (no pay).
Relaxing setting
Math Lab Assistant/ Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXOctober 13, 2013
A typical day of work consisted of administering math tests to students and grading tests with scantron machine, filing and retrieving material for various instructors. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the numerous students that would come to the math lab to take a test or to borrow calculators, math books etc. This was a very enjoyable, stress free job which I enjoyed immensely. However, the job ended once I graduated and received my degree.
Cons
i had no cons on this particular job
Poor upper management
Coordinator of End User Support (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXMay 5, 2012
College of the Mainland went from a great place to work to one of the worst. Poor upper management and board.
Helped students to look for dirrections and answered phone effectively
Circulation Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXJuly 16, 2013
I had helped students to look for the books. I had help new students to get direction where they wanted to come. I also helped to answer students by phone. My supervisors were nice to me. She had showed me how to describe the direction so new students can understand effectively. I enjoyed to work here with many students, they are young, active, smart and I had worked with some great supervisors.
Was a work study program while going to college
work study (Former Employee) –  Texas CityJuly 21, 2013
The admin assistant that I was under was one of the sweetest and most knowledgeable people especially in her department. She was wonderful to work and I loved the job. Being that it was work study, they did not pay much and did not allow many hours so it was mostly for networking and gas money to get to school.
Pros
work environment and knowledge gained while there
Cons
just work study job so 15 hrs a week and min pay was all that was offered
It was a fun anf challenging place to work.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXOctober 23, 2013
At College of the Main Land I assisted the staff and students. I shared my knowledge with the staff and my personal books with the students. While working in the compute lab I learned new technology and programs It was very productive for me.
Pros
learning while working.
Cons
the computer lab would often be full and other students would wait and complain.
Fun working environment in College atmosphere
TESTING CENTER STUDENT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXDecember 29, 2012
My duties here consisted of clerical work. I typed, filed paperwork, helped administer college entrance exams, and helped keep testing center clean. My co-workers were cheerful and willing to help when it was needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
Great
Welding Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Texas CityAugust 14, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the students make progress in the shop.
What I learned from working there shop safety was the most important rule.
The hardest part of my job was absolutely nothing. I did my job 100% all the time.
Laid back college but with some issues
College Connections Advisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2014
2 months at the job and i never got trained, learned the computer program on my own. I spend a lot of my time at the High Schools talking to students.
The school does have some baggage-they have about 5 lawsuits from former employees..
I enjoy working for College of the Mainland.
ESL Multilevel Teacher, Substitute (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXAugust 10, 2014
Presently, I am a tester and a substitute teacher for ESL. I only go in when I am called. My co-works are friendly and helpful. I can't think of any difficult parts of my job. My job is very rewarding.
not fun at all
IT Service Technician (Former Employee) –  League City, TXJanuary 16, 2015
co workers were ok, we were used as mules for machine deployment 1200 computers.

4.4