College of the Ozarks Employee Reviews

Work/Study
Custodian Worker (Former Employee) –  Point Lookout, MOAugust 28, 2017
I learned how to properly clean public areas of buildings as well as hotels. We maintained the campus hotel and were assigned certain buildings as well as the grounds. I was taught how to properly use cleaning chemicals as well as how to properly leave a room for future guests.
Pros
Teaching environment
Productive, fast-pased, and hard work
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Point Lookout, MOAugust 10, 2017
College of the Ozarks is known for its hard work. As a student, I am required to work a minimum of 15 hours a week with two 40-hour work weeks. They teach you hard work, motivation, and determination in order for you to succeed. The management can be hard, but overall College of the Ozarks is a great place to work, and they make sure the students are well prepared for the workforce.
Pros
Tuition paid for
Cofo
College of the Ozarks switchboard (Former Employee) –  Hollister, MOAugust 10, 2017
Its a good place for a student to get their feet wet and they are very willing to work with us. We had a lot of good opportunities at the college, including working for tuition.
Pros
Paid tuition
Cons
very strict
College
Library Associate (Former Employee) –  Point Lookout, MOJuly 4, 2017
It was required to work on campus to pay for my tution. My first campus job was in the school cafeteria. I transferred to the library for the remainder of my college career. During the summer I worked the summer program with the Landscaping Dept
fast paced environment
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hollister, MOJune 17, 2017
Positive place to work, good teamwork from all kitchen crew members.Great equipment to work with. Was able to train, and manage many students on a daily basis.
Pros
great benefits, good communication
Cons
understaffed at times
College Education
Custodial Associate (Former Employee) –  Point Lookout, MOJune 10, 2017
College of the Ozarks was a wonderful college for me to go to. I worked 15 hours a week and two 40 hour weeks per year. Just by working these hours they covered my whole tuition and food cost.
Pros
Free tuition and food, Great education
Cons
Being a private religious college they had a few rules some people wouldn't agree with.
Fantastic opportunity
Chemistry Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Point Lookout, MOApril 15, 2017
Typical day: On my feet most of my day making sure the labs are all prepared and ready for the day. In the lab walking around the students making sure they understand what they are doing in the lab.
What I've learned: How to help students learn their material; time management skills; finishing a job in appropriate time.
Management: My supervisors consist of my professors so it is enjoyable to work for someone who also teaches me in the classrooms.
Workplace culture: I work with three supervisors all of which have their own style and personality that they bring to the work place. One of them is kind of like the father of the department and brings a fatherly wisdom and comfort with them. The other two are more reserved and are more like the typical supervisor that requests things to get done.
Hardest part of the job: Being able to prepare a lab on very short notice.
The most enjoyable part of the job: Being able to help students understand the material and seeing them succeed in their understanding.
Pros
Working on campus pays for my tuition, weekends off, no dress requirements
Excellent superiors and fun place to work.
Manager's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Point Lookout, MODecember 1, 2016
College of the Ozarks is an exceptional place to work if you want to feel like you are making a difference in the lives of young people as well as have fun.
College of the Ozarks is a great place to work
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hollister, MONovember 17, 2016
I couldn't have been happier working at College of the Ozarks. As with most jobs it had its ups and downs, but overall it was one of the best work experiences I have ever had. The staff is kind and the students are absolutely amazing. Hands downs my best job yet. The most challenging part of the job was the amount of physical labor involved - it was exhausting. But it was so worth it to see how appreciative the students were to receive a good meal at college.
Pros
cheap lunch, great benefits, on site child care for staff, conservative environment
Cons
ultra conservative environment
Unique place to work, good culture
I/T Agent (Former Employee) –  Point Lookout, MOMay 25, 2016
This organization is very unique. The majority of CofOs workers are their students in a work-study program designed to allow students to graduate with an accredited 4 year degree with minimal debt. They are highly effective at this, and a great place to work. The various supervisors all have varying levels of job security and advancement opportunities, but overall highly recommended for both the employee and the student level.
It is an honor to teach at College of the Ozarks
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Point Lookout, MOMay 2, 2016
It is an honor to teach in any capacity at College of the Ozarks. Unfortunately, most instructors feel that way and due to the unique structure of the college, the departments are intentionally small and will stay that way. It is difficult to find a full time teaching position here. The pay for an adjunct is fair if a person is only needing part time income. Honestly, I would do it for free if I didn't need to work full time. The students and faculty are of the highest quality and I wholeheartedly believe in the mission of this college.
College students everywhere!
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Point Lookout, MOSeptember 15, 2015
From the room you stayed at in Keeter Center to the faculty service desk, students have their hands everywhere at College of the Ozarks. While many students will work in their field of study, I was able to do something I absolutely loved. Rain, cold, snow, or shine the greenhouses still needed to be attended to and I worked with the best group to do that with.
College of the Ozarks is perhaps one of the most rewarding and challenging positions that I have held.
Assistant Professor of Music (Current Employee) –  Point Lookout, MOJune 27, 2015
College of the Ozarks has allowed me to develop into a far better individual through the relationships with my colleagues, and the overall work environment. Teaching in and of itself holds many challenges, yet the greater reward has come through the interaction with such a diverse student population. This position has encouraged me to become more compassionate and developed my ability to provide leadership and mentor the students and my colleagues. The skills that I have acquired through the college will allow me to meet the demands of an evolving global marketplace and allow me to bring in a willingness to further develop the potential of the individuals I work with either within a company or a classroom.
Wonderful experience
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Point Lookout, MONovember 17, 2014
This is an awesome experience for anyone willing to do whatever it takes to pay their tuition. It teaches a great work ethic.
Pros
Pays Tuition
Cons
Fast Paced
Christian Workplace
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Hollister, MOJune 5, 2014
This is a great place to learn to work hard. The nickname is Hard Work U for a reason, but the experience is worth the effort one must put forth to succeed. Co-workers and employers vary depending on the work station, but, all work extremely hard and benefit one another.
Pros
Free College, potential free room and board, christian atmosphere
Cons
Christian atmosphere is sometimes overwhelming. Long (unpaid) hours.
Good for what it is, I guess.
Student Construction Employee (Former Employee) –  Point Lookout, MOJune 1, 2014
College of the Ozarks is a close-minded, fundamentalist, private Christian college, which offers a work-study program to all of it's students, using the tagline "graduate debt-free." In reality, the work study program requires between 15 and 40 hours of work a week, and covers a bare-minimum of the actual tuition, the rest being taken by a scholarship they place on top of the work-study. This combined with the claustrophobic atmosphere, the inability to determine your own place of work on campus (I was assigned to the plumbing department, and then to construction despite my health problems and my major in computer science), and the scrutiny to which the administration puts every aspect of your life makes the experience at this college a nightmare for all but the most dedicated of masochists. I applaud those who have graduated, but I left after nearly having a heart attack from the stress.
Pros
'Free' tuition, unusual courses available.
Cons
Short breaks, intrusive policies, minimum wage, no chance of reimbursement for hours worked in excess of those required for tuition.
College of the Ozarks was a great school to attend and work for.
Part-time Bakery (Former Employee) –  Point Lookout, MissouriJanuary 12, 2014
At the College of the Ozarks, we were required to work fifteen hours a week in additon to our class schedule to help pay for our education. I worked in the back bakery of the Keeter Center.
Great Work Study Position
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Point Lookout, MOOctober 16, 2013
Wonderful work study position. Loved working in my craft. I had lots of opportunity to take on projects and learn more about different areas of my degree.
Pros
Great Supervisors
Cons
Lots of Creative Restriction
I loved being a part of Residence Life
Resident Assistant and Dorm Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Point Lookout, MOMay 15, 2013
During my time as a Resident Assistant I was able to mentor and develop valuable relationships with female students in a dormitory. I facilitated check-in and check-out procedures at the beginning and end of each semester, maintained a supportive and welcoming environment that fostered personal and academic growth in the college dorm, developed programs and collaborated with residential staff to best serve the student population. I also spent my first semester working for Residence Life in dorm maintenance performing duties in custodial maintenance as assigned.
Pros
Built amazing relationships with my Hall Director, staff members and fellow college students
Great place for students to gain practical experience!
Student Manager (Current Employee) –  Point Lookout, MOFebruary 27, 2013
I loved working at CofO as a student. I was given real world experience by working in our video department. CofO is a great place the really nurtures and loves their students.
Pros
debt free, work, experience, dedicated