Collette Vacations Employee Reviews

Good product and good compensation, poor management and culture
District Sales Manager (Current Employee), Pawtucket, RIJuly 9, 2015
Pros: paid international travel
Cons: poor management and office culture
Monday through Thursday, you're on the road in your territory. Fridays are used to set your calendar and prospect for new leads. The expectation is a minimum of 4 pre-set appointments per day, with 2 "crash days" per week, meaning early morning and evening appointments. Fridays, the minimum expectation is 70 phone calls with over 3 hours of talk time. I love the opportunity to sell travel. Everyone wants to talk about their next vacation! The hardest part of the job is trying to work with management and the office. The office makes a lot of mistakes and if you're not on top of them, it comes back directly on you. The management rule with an iron fist and it's entirely fear based motivation. Nothing will every be good enough, so don't look for a pat on the back. If you can handle that and lack of praise or acknowledgement of hard work, you'll enjoy working for this company.
Custom Tour Coordinator
Product Department Specialist (Former Employee), pawtucket, riApril 8, 2015
Here I built and created custom tours for groups of 38 passengers or more traveling in and out of the United States. I worked with Sales Staff, Group leaders, Travel agents and vendors all over the world to make sure passengers had the most memorable trip to their destination.
HORRIBLY run company
Business Development Executive (Current Employee), Pawtucket, RIFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: everything else
Top down structure. Opinions aren't valued. If a good idea is brought up, you're told to keep quiet by your manager. A week or 2 later, that idea would be implemented, however your manager would get credit for it.

No advancement opportunities unless you marry into the family.

Base salary is terrible. MAKE SURE TO GET ALL COMMISSION AND BONUS DISCUSSIONS IN WRITING. They will find ways to not pay you.

Great benefits. Health insurance recently increased, but that's to be expected with the state of health care today. Small wellness center on site with great staff there.

Two of the executives who actually had a clue recently stepped down or left.

Family run company- and the only purpose of the company is to grow the wallet of the family. Customer service, employee satisfaction and happiness, and pretty much spending any extra money seems to be low priorities.

Unqualified people in management roles.
Great compant to work for
District Sales Manager (Current Employee), Arizona, Nevada & UtahFebruary 19, 2015
I thoroughly-enjoyed my time at this company. It was a great apprenticeship and taught me more about business relationships and the cultivation skills than I could have learned anywhere else.
productive and great work environment
Internship (Current Employee), Pawtucket, RIOctober 20, 2014
great company! good culture and exciting to work for. Co workers very nice and respectable.
Exciting opportunity to sell travel all over the world
District Sales Manager (Former Employee), Manchester, NHJune 24, 2014
Pros: get to travel the world
Cons: being away from family
Relentless phone work and follow up to set appointments for the week ahead. Several appointments and cold calls each day. Spent Monday through Thursday on the road with Friday being a call day. Great opportunity to talk about something everyone has a passion for…travel.
Co-Workers and Customers are like Family!
WEB ASSISTANCE COORDINATOR (Current Employee), Pawtucket, RIFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: the community!
Cons: the parking
A day is never the same, because each day I get to speak to customers and help them. Get them excited about our online program where they can learn much more about their tour that they plan on going on. Technical things are the worse to deal with, so it's nice for the customer to deal with it having support. That's what I give. Beyond this I try to make our database better, but keeping it clean. I really care about my job, and the people surrounding me at my job. My co-workers are great. We all work as a team. The hardest part of my job is that sometimes I can't solve the technical issue right away, and I wish I could for my customer. My favorite part is the connection I make with some of my customers. They are so much fun speaking with. "Hi Amy, It's your favorite person again." I here their voice and I know who they are. It's just so much fun.
Tour Manager on bus tours
Tour Manager (Former Employee), Pawtucket, RIFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: seeing the world
Cons: away from home for months at a time
This is one of the best jobs in the world. One must be organized and professional. Fluent in more than 1 or 2 languages is an asset
working for collette was an awful experience
marketing (Former Employee), Pawtucket, RINovember 5, 2012
Pros: occasional freebies
Cons: poor management
Collette could not care less about their employees. New management in the company is horrible and clean out departments based on whether they like a person personally or not. They engage in unprofessional and borderline unethical practices.
Collette Vacation LACKS respect for their employees.
Marketing (Former Employee), Rhode IslandOctober 16, 2012
Pros: co-worker are kind and are genuine people.
Cons: no culture, lack internal promotion, very political environment, bureaucratic bully like management.
It's sad to see a good company go down hill. I'm sorry to say, but Collette is on a downward spiral. Be warned that the management of Collette Vacations could care less about it's employees and only about the money they bring in. If you're easily persuaded by free travel and a few flashy perks, feel free to join the team, but from someone who worked there for many years it's not worth it. They lack respect for their staff.

They say a company's biggest asset is it's people, but for Collette it's certainly the money in their bank accounts. Hard work and dedication isn't valued at Collette like it use to be. I left on my own terms after many years. I started to see a toxic work environment developing and a management team that focused on themselves and little about the people of Collette. The same was true for my fellow colleagues. I personally watched them get demoted and deflated to lessor roles in other departments after 10+ years of service after being told "they didn't have the right credentials for their roles?? This was my turning point. I knew from that point - Collette was changing and it wasn't for the people.

The inside story on Collette is this - when THEY decide you're no longer of value to them they do one of 2 things.

1) Demote you to a lessor role and make you feel worthless. so much so that you in turn quit because your so unhappy.

2) Post your job description to the tee, title and all and let you find it online only to ask what's going on. Their reply - "we decided to hire someone that can train you" or "we're going to make you a coordinator now, but feel – more... free to apply". This is true and many can tell you first hand.

People quite due to what's called "constructive dismissal" - in essence Collette strives to make your work environment so uncomfortable and unfair that you quit. Reason is... they want you out but have zero grounds to do so, no warnings, no write-ups. The only option is to make the employee so unhappy that they quit from pure unhappiness.

Sound like a fun place to work? No - and this is coming from someone who left on their own terms a few years back. The company has since gotten much worse. The lack culture, respect, innovation and forward thinking. – less
Potential Employees: PROCEED WITH CAUTION
Product (Former Employee), Pawtucket, RIOctober 5, 2012
Pros: their benefits package is great, free travel, great co-workers
Cons: your goals are moving targets, soul-sucking culture, poor management
CV has extremely paranoid management. The nanny-state they enforce on all the employees, is just an insult to any person who wants to be treated like an adult.

Moving up in the organization seems impossible here. They do a big song-and-dance, how it's a 'family run company', and everyone is 'family', but the fact is, promotions are for only blood-related 'family'. They have a systematic 'demotion' process whereby they keep hiring people in between you and your manager, and keep changing your job title. I'm surprised there hasn't yet been a class-action lawsuit against them.

If you want a company where no one really cares if your soul is sucked dry from giving 100% every day with no reward or recognition, then this is the place for you. If you like seeing mediocrity rewarded and encouraged, then you'll be happy here.

Otherwise, I would steer clear. In the recent past, I wouldn't have said these things, as I believe it *was* a truly wonderful place to work. It seems that they just don't care about their people anymore. The people I worked with directly were really wonderful and caring. It was hard to watch them getting beaten down each day by the poorly run management team.

(ps. I left my position voluntarily)
There is no work-life balance at this company
Former Employee (Former Employee), Pawtucket, RIOctober 2, 2012
Pros: right off the highway, occasional free stuff on fridays, phones aren't that busy so you'll be pleasantly surprised if you've worked in another call center.
Cons: pay is well under par (take 30% + off of what you might make at a fortune-rated company), no sense of structure or purpose to the organization., if it isn’t about selling trips, it doesn’t matter, company treats employees like they are doing you a favor by employing you.
You had better like working overtime because it is expected all the time. Company holidays don't apply to everyone in the call center, which is completely typical, but this company seems to keep it a secret. As an hourly employee, my breaks were often shortened or completely eliminated. Managers in the call center sit away from their employees and have little interaction with them since they are (literally) up on a pedestal in the middle of the operation. There is very little feedback and the training program is very different from what actually goes on. It takes a long time to feel comfortable since you feel like you have to learn things over and over.
Make sure you ask very specific questions during the interview about anything that is important to you. Get clear answers and then get them in writing if you choose to work there (benefits, vacation, review process, salary, bonuses). FYI - It is common practice for this company to require a mandatory physical AFTER the letter has gone out (and you’ve told your current employer that you’re leaving) so be prepared. Physical isn't a big deal, but the process is very odd and your employment is contingent on your ability to "pass."
Collette Vacations Administrative position in Marketing provided executive-level admin support as well as secondary support to six project supervisors
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Pawtucket, RIAugust 28, 2012
Pros: free travel.
Cons: 1/2 hour lunch break
The Administrative Assistant position daily routine provided support to the VP of Marketing through correspondence with other executive-level management within the company, as well as outside organizations setting up and confirming meetings and events. This position also provided support to the operations manager by contacting printing firms and mailing firms for quotations and purchasing their services for marketing projects within budget.
I learned about purchasing and scheduling negotiations with printing and mailing firms.
Co-workers were considerate, enthusiastic and professional.
The hardest part of this job was to keep projects moving through the Marketing Department which involved the graphic design and proofing teams, in a timely manner to stay on schedule.
The most enjoyable part of working at Collette Vacations was having the opportunity to travel with co-workers to learn about the company's products.
Values and demands are ever changing
Inside Business Development Manager (Former Employee), Pawtucket, RIAugust 20, 2012
Hard to get a straight answer on employment compensation, ie sales bonsus. wont put into writing and if you do hit the goals they require the payout changes to reduce your bonsus. very discouraging. Coworkers seem very nice but everyone seems afraid of the company whims changing, This company is also a political entity and askes(intimadates) employees to fill out letters to US and RI reps and Senators. Theythink if they throw a free pizza you should do thier bidding.
travel benefits are amazing
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Pawtucket, RIJuly 6, 2012
Pros: travel
This by far was one of the best places I have worked. People are friendly, benefits are plentiful and the overall working environment is great
Family Atmoshere, great leadership
Director of Contracting and Vendor Relations (Current Employee), Pawtucket, RIMarch 9, 2012
Collette Vacations provides a great family like environment and is very customer service oriented in a global marketplace