Collette Vacations Employee Reviews

Great experience
Product Developer/ Tour Manager (Former Employee) –  Pawtucket, RINovember 2, 2017
Great experience traveling the world with a 5-star company. Thoroughly enjoy working and growing with Collette. The company has grown to be one of the largest tour operators in the country. It is the oldest tour operating company in the country celebrating 100 years of service in 2018.
Nepotism
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIFebruary 23, 2017
The nepotism at Collette is cumbersome. You can't move up in the company unless you are part of the family. They are on top of their technology game but that is about it. Great benefits too but the pay is average at best.
Great leadership team and co-workers
IT Analyst/Training Support (Former Employee) –  Pawtucket, RINovember 21, 2016
I really enjoyed my time at Collette Vacations. Very employee-oriented company. I loved their philosophy of volunteerism and giving back to the community.
work hard, play hard environment
Senior Business Development Representative (Current Employee) –  Pawtucket, RINovember 13, 2016
Family Owned company, which has its plusses and minuses. Great People, some great perks, good benefits. Strive for work/life balance. great travel opportunities
Pros
Travel
Cons
hard to advance
cultured work environment
Reservation Agent - Travel Planner (Former Employee) –  Pawtucket, RISeptember 6, 2016
Took inbound sales call
Learned all about 7 continents
Management was good
Great travel opportunity
Good office environment
Great product training
Good time off policy
A company that does not practice what they preach
RETAIL CUSTOMER CARE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIMarch 31, 2016
Worked at Collette for 2 years and 4 months. What started as a great opportunity turned into a place where job security was scarce and everyday I dreaded going to work. Management does not listen to their employers (but this can vary per department) and while they preach being a family company and love of their workers it was interesting to watch them lay off employees that had been their 20+ years and not even allow them the dignity to return to their desks. I doubt the path their on is a good one unless they start to listen to their employees and slow down on the growth and focus on getting what they currently have right
Pros
free travel, good benefits, great coworkers
Cons
management, executives, job security
I cannot say this company is a terrible place to work
Retail Reservations Team Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIMarch 1, 2016
Collette jump started my career and it has been a blessing to work for them for over 10 years.

There have been several changes during my employment there however, most recent changes forced me to take a leap of faith and resign from my position to search for other amazing opportunities out there from Companies that will benefit from my skill level.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Overworked, inconsistencies in management, lack of structure
Multitasking
Contracts & Marketing Partnership Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIOctober 18, 2015
I enjoyed working at Collette for 8 years, loved being busy, I hate being bored. I love challenges and when I was caught up with my job, I'd help other departments with their work. I was and am still part of the Collette Foundation.
Family Operated Company
Tour Manager (Former Employee) –  Pawtucket, RISeptember 1, 2015
Very pleasant atmosphere and great benefits.
A company where your supervisor care and supports you.
I did not work in the office my job consisted of managing tours abroad.
Pros
Great benefits
An agreeable company
Tour Manager (Current Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIJuly 10, 2015
Collette is a great employer. There is no such day as typical in my work. I fly to my destination, I organize one to four week tours. I manage the day to day operations and the large groups of people who come on the tour. With forty people on a bus you learn a lot everyday. Some days I will have folks go to the hospital and somedays just standard complaints. It is a very difficult job to describe. You really live on the road and manage yourself and the group as best you can. The hardest part is when someone dies on the tour. The most enjoyable is the destinations you spend time in. Its also great to see the happiness on the clients faces when they explore new places.
Pros
The places I go in all seven continents. My company trusts me to do the right thing.
Cons
The long amount of time spent away from home.
Good product and good compensation, poor management and culture
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIJuly 9, 2015
Monday through Thursday, you're on the road in your territory. Fridays are used to set your calendar and prospect for new leads. The expectation is a minimum of 4 pre-set appointments per day, with 2 "crash days" per week, meaning early morning and evening appointments. Fridays, the minimum expectation is 70 phone calls with over 3 hours of talk time. I love the opportunity to sell travel. Everyone wants to talk about their next vacation! The hardest part of the job is trying to work with management and the office. The office makes a lot of mistakes and if you're not on top of them, it comes back directly on you. The management rule with an iron fist and it's entirely fear based motivation. Nothing will every be good enough, so don't look for a pat on the back. If you can handle that and lack of praise or acknowledgement of hard work, you'll enjoy working for this company.
Pros
paid international travel
Cons
poor management and office culture
Custom Tour Coordinator
Product Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  pawtucket, riApril 8, 2015
Here I built and created custom tours for groups of 38 passengers or more traveling in and out of the United States. I worked with Sales Staff, Group leaders, Travel agents and vendors all over the world to make sure passengers had the most memorable trip to their destination.
HORRIBLY run company
Business Development Executive (Current Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIFebruary 24, 2015
Top down structure. Opinions aren't valued. If a good idea is brought up, you're told to keep quiet by your manager. A week or 2 later, that idea would be implemented, however your manager would get credit for it.

No advancement opportunities unless you marry into the family.

Base salary is terrible. MAKE SURE TO GET ALL COMMISSION AND BONUS DISCUSSIONS IN WRITING. They will find ways to not pay you.

Great benefits. Health insurance recently increased, but that's to be expected with the state of health care today. Small wellness center on site with great staff there.

Two of the executives who actually had a clue recently stepped down or left.

Family run company- and the only purpose of the company is to grow the wallet of the family. Customer service, employee satisfaction and happiness, and pretty much spending any extra money seems to be low priorities.

Unqualified people in management roles.
benefits
Cons
everything else
Great compant to work for
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Arizona, Nevada & UtahFebruary 19, 2015
I thoroughly-enjoyed my time at this company. It was a great apprenticeship and taught me more about business relationships and the cultivation skills than I could have learned anywhere else.
productive and great work environment
Internship (Current Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIOctober 20, 2014
great company! good culture and exciting to work for. Co workers very nice and respectable.
Exciting opportunity to sell travel all over the world
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJune 24, 2014
Relentless phone work and follow up to set appointments for the week ahead. Several appointments and cold calls each day. Spent Monday through Thursday on the road with Friday being a call day. Great opportunity to talk about something everyone has a passion for…travel.
Pros
Get to travel the world
Cons
Being away from family
Co-Workers and Customers are like Family!
WEB ASSISTANCE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIFebruary 19, 2014
A day is never the same, because each day I get to speak to customers and help them. Get them excited about our online program where they can learn much more about their tour that they plan on going on. Technical things are the worse to deal with, so it's nice for the customer to deal with it having support. That's what I give. Beyond this I try to make our database better, but keeping it clean. I really care about my job, and the people surrounding me at my job. My co-workers are great. We all work as a team. The hardest part of my job is that sometimes I can't solve the technical issue right away, and I wish I could for my customer. My favorite part is the connection I make with some of my customers. They are so much fun speaking with. "Hi Amy, It's your favorite person again." I here their voice and I know who they are. It's just so much fun.
Pros
The Community!
Cons
The Parking
Tour Manager on bus tours
Tour Manager (Former Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIFebruary 9, 2014
This is one of the best jobs in the world. One must be organized and professional. Fluent in more than 1 or 2 languages is an asset
Pros
Seeing the world
Cons
Away from home for months at a time
working for collette was an awful experience
marketing (Former Employee) –  Pawtucket, RINovember 5, 2012
Collette could not care less about their employees. New management in the company is horrible and clean out departments based on whether they like a person personally or not. They engage in unprofessional and borderline unethical practices.
Pros
occasional freebies
Cons
poor management
Collette Vacation LACKS respect for their employees.
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandOctober 16, 2012
It's sad to see a good company go down hill. I'm sorry to say, but Collette is on a downward spiral. Be warned that the management of Collette Vacations could care less about it's employees and only about the money they bring in. If you're easily persuaded by free travel and a few flashy perks, feel free to join the team, but from someone who worked there for many years it's not worth it. They lack respect for their staff.

They say a company's biggest asset is it's people, but for Collette it's certainly the money in their bank accounts. Hard work and dedication isn't valued at Collette like it use to be. I left on my own terms after many years. I started to see a toxic work environment developing and a management team that focused on themselves and little about the people of Collette. The same was true for my fellow colleagues. I personally watched them get demoted and deflated to lessor roles in other departments after 10+ years of service after being told "they didn't have the right credentials for their roles?? This was my turning point. I knew from that point - Collette was changing and it wasn't for the people.

The inside story on Collette is this - when THEY decide you're no longer of value to them they do one of 2 things.

1) Demote you to a lessor role and make you feel worthless. so much so that you in turn quit because your so unhappy.

2) Post your job description to the tee, title and all and let you find it online only to ask what's going on. Their reply - "we decided to hire someone that can train you" or "we're going to make you a coordinator now, but feel
  more... free to apply". This is true and many can tell you first hand.

People quite due to what's called "constructive dismissal" - in essence Collette strives to make your work environment so uncomfortable and unfair that you quit. Reason is... they want you out but have zero grounds to do so, no warnings, no write-ups. The only option is to make the employee so unhappy that they quit from pure unhappiness.

Sound like a fun place to work? No - and this is coming from someone who left on their own terms a few years back. The company has since gotten much worse. The lack culture, respect, innovation and forward thinking.
Pros
co-worker are kind and are genuine people.
Cons
no culture, lack internal promotion, very political environment, bureaucratic bully like management.