Collin College Employee Reviews

Adjunct Instructor
Graphic Design Instructor (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 31, 2013
I teach one to two classes per semester excluding summer during the evening. I work about 18 students per semester introducing the students to several design programs as well as video editing program.

I get the chance to work with other professionals, active designing students and new kids considering what future they will take. Teaching students how to use the programs is only one part, I also work hard wit the student to handle not only time management with work but file management.

assigning grades to students who are well intentioned but did not abide by the instructions set up by the college.

the best part is watching te students "get it" then watching them take off using the programs. Also mentoring the students in their work to get the best outcome possible with the experience they have.
Pros
staying up to date on new methods being used in the industry
Cons
semester by semester job security.
Higher Education
Division Secretary (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 25, 2015
Several times a year the college becomes very busy. You need to be a flexible employee to be able to adapt with the fast changing pace. Personally, I like the diversity. Management has improved over the past few years. Co-workers are fun and we all love to eat and celebrate any occasion. We work hard and play hard. The hardest part of my job is telling someone they are not eligible to receive financial aid. Overall a fun place to work with lots of time off (10 days at Christmas and you do not have to use vacation! Who can beat that!).
Pros
friendly co-workers, lots of time off, fun place to work.
Cons
low pay, lack of opportunity to progress upward in career.
Fun work environment
Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs Specialist (Former Employee) –  2800 E Spring Creek Pkwy Plano, TX, 75024May 22, 2015
A typical day at work involved taking student calls regarding Financial aid or veteran's affairs benefits. Processing reports for the automated verification software to ensure students are processed in a timely manner. My managers were wonderful supportive people. My co-workers were fun and we had a great time solving problems and getting students through the system to get their financial aid, it was a very rewarding experience. The hardest part was sometimes dealing with parents of students who wanted things done faster than was possible.
Pros
worked around my class schedule
Cons
no chance for job advancement
Collin College
Adjunct professor (Current Employee) –  I love the gig.March 10, 2014
It is a delight working for Collin College. The atmosphere there is one of creative advancement. Training the students from real world experience gives the students the best possible idea of what working in the real job environment will be like.

The Department Chair and Dean are wonderful leaders, providing the best means for the faculty as Administrative rules allow.

The satisfaction one gets when a former student comes back, telling you that you were critical in their education is invaluable.
Pros
they allow you do to your job in your style while maintaining a cohesive curriculum
Cons
adjunct professors getting secondary choices of class loads.
Great!
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 5, 2014
I am very thankful to have had the chance to work at Collin College. I learned a lot in my position as a financial assistant. The office gets super busy at the beginning of each semester so that can be a bit stressful. I truly enjoyed being able to help others either get into school or continue their education.
Diverse and respectful work environment
Part-time Secretary, Institution Research Office (Current Employee) –  McKinney, TXJuly 30, 2015
I have really enjoyed working with Collin College and would enjoy a full-time position if one became available. My supervisor is very fair and respectful of everyone in the department and encourages each individual to do their best.
Pros
convenient to where I live
Professional work environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXFebruary 14, 2014
Students who bring work to the Preston Ridge Writing Center can expect a warm welcome and exceptional expertise by a roster of tutors with vast experience in student writing and student needs.
Pros
signing up for appointments assures one will be helped
Cons
the available sign up spots can fill up quickly
fun team with little to no job growth
Instructional Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 20, 2014
This position is designed to help faculty and staff(clients) with blackboard and building faculty websites. Most clients are fun to work with but you get one or two bitter apples once in a while.
Pros
high pay for interns
Cons
no help from management
Productive and Fun pool tables and basketball gym
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 15, 2014
Dealing with student of different ethnic groups..I learned more about the fundamentals of the job rather learning to be more confidential and more straight forward with confidence as for as telling students of there status concerning there enrollment..
Pros
free lunch, etc
Cons
healthcare, etc
International student office in collin college provides good service
student assistant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 30, 2015
good place to work, helped me to interact with several students having different nationalities . enjoyable place to work. Thus, since it is not related to pharmacy, but one can acquire crucial customer service experiance .
Pros
engage with diffrent nationalities and acquire good experiance
Cons
not major related

Want to know more about Collin College?

Ask a question
Great Place
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 4, 2012
Working for Collin has been enjoyable the past two and half years. As time goes by, I see myself improving and being rewarded accordingly with more classes. It's been a great experience and I hope I continue to grow at Collin.
Great place to teach
Associate Faculty, Communications (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 27, 2015
I've had a chance to interact and teach a variety of students--typical students and non-traditional as well. There are a variety of classes available, and I have weekly classes and a weekend express class on my roster each semester.
Not bad
Information Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 18, 2014
It is a great job where I can get homework done for my masters. I really enjoy being able to talk to students daily and feel like I helped make a difference in their lives.
Great workplace
SURGICAL TECHOLOGY OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJune 29, 2014
I really enjoyed working in the office setting, and with all of the departments. As a student employee I was unable to continue in this position once I was no longer a student.
Productive and fun
Proctor / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 19, 2015
I had a great time and really enjoyed working with my team on various projects. The management was great, there were no complications with payroll.
an ok college to work for
Career Services Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 19, 2014
management relies on employees to perform all work, no team ethics in business,
Pros
free parking
Cons
no breaks, no pay increase, minimun wages
A growing institution.
Adjunct Business Management Professor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 3, 2014
My experience with Collin has been very positive. The leadership is excellent. Collin County students are excellent.
Pros
great leadership.
Cons
can't think of any.
fun volunteer work
volunteer (Former Employee) –  addis ababaNovember 28, 2015
It really felt like volunteer work instead of a job from 9-5. fun surrounding, helpful people, and educational. Diverse community small compound, and a lot of customer service.
Plenty of office supplies
Professor (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 23, 2014
I never ran out of office supplies. Supervisor and Colleagues did not collaborate.
Pros
private office
Cons
a lot of red tape when trying to collaborate.
productive and interesting
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXNovember 8, 2013
Worked under pressure most often,it was very rewarding,sometimes hectic,worked as a team.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
no breaks

4.2