Colonial Life Insurance Employee Reviews

Not Good
Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 28, 2016
I did not enjoy the time that I had while I was with this company. They tell you one thing in the interview and the job is something different. Management plays favoritism and does handle situations very well.
Pros
Benefits and Salary
Cons
short breaks, nepotisim, bad hours
great place to work
Agency Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 11, 2016
great place to work. good people. good compensation. good experience. good location. great pay. good leadership. good support.
Great place to learn new things
Manual QA Engineer/Selenium Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 6, 2016
This company gave me everything I wanted (Viz. Good pay, good professional life). Here I have developed a lot of working (both technical and communication) skills which led to the advancement of my career.
Great training , condusive work environment
Agency Development Manager (ADM) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 20, 2016
Comfortable atmosphere, condusive workplace environment.

Helpful team workplace.

Excellent reputation.

Great product training.

Family oriented atmosphere.
Great Company
Producer (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJune 8, 2016
Colonial Life is an industry leader setting the bar in ROI options for in healthcare for businesses and their employees. Lowering cost, employee retention and the prospect of full benefit solutions is what Colonial Life is all about. The best customer service in the industry is what they are well known for.
Pros
Pride in working for the best.
Cons
none.
Great group of people
Benefits Counselor (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 5, 2016
Great people to work for/with. Colonial had an excellent support staff and all of the needed information and training at your fingertips. Excellent opportunity for someone first getting into the business. It is hard to work on straight commission, but if you work hard and have a team player for a boss, life I did, you're set! I'd recommend it!
Pros
Great training and support
Cons
Straight commission
Productive, Fun place to work, Flexible
Benefits Administrative Assistance (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 16, 2015
This was a contract position. I was in charge of opening the front area for the City of Dallas Employees to answer questions regarding their benefits and make any changes to their benefits. All of my co-worker worked as a team in order to make sure the job was done.
I learned allot. Management was very knowledgeable of her job and provide the training needed to get the job done. We would do something special for people birthdays.
Pros
Close to Home
Cons
Not a Permanet job
Colonial Life is a wonderful company.
Commissioned Agent (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 3, 2013
As a Sales Representative with Colonial, I was able to assist employers in the designing of their Employee Benefits Package. This was very rewarding to say the least. The Colonial family is unparalleled anywhere!

The only reason for a change is today's struggling economy. I understand the need for employer's to make cuts in their employees's schedules. I also understand that when an employee's hours are reduced, that employee must look for ways to make that bottom line more workable. The first thing to go are the supplemental insurance benefits that I provide. Therefore, my renewals are becoming almost nil.
Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GANovember 11, 2014
During the summer between my junior and senior year of college I interned at Colonial Life Insurance in Gainesville, GA. My responsibilities also varied in this with this employer also. One of my main responsibilities at the end of my internship was to set up a sales proposal for a company that was interested in changing providers for their employee benefits. I created a presentation with all information that was relevant for the company to make an informed decision on whether to switch providers. I calculated the difference in prices and quality of benefits for this company, and also became proficient in the knowledge to explain why this company should switch providers to Colonial Life. I accomplished my goal at the end of my internship and the company did switch providers to the one that I was representing. Aside from all of the effort that was placed into that certain project, I also had daily task that I was responsible for. I would review and correct any errors that were reported on applications. Assist and shadow different employees on their sales calls, and answer the phone for clients that needed assistance.
Sales, Benefits Counselor, Opener
Benefits Counselor, Opener (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKDecember 10, 2014
Drive to location enroll them in supplemental benefits. The hardest part was standing up in front of a group of people having to explain our benefits. But I enjoyed meeting with each and everyone individual just did not like public speaking. The real benefit is filling the need of someone then later hear their story of how our product protected their families. This is what made my job very exciting and rewarding.
Pros
Not being behind a desk and driving
Cons
not enough business
Great City of Dallas co-workers, Management needs a major tune up.
Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 14, 2014
Phone calls are not as much as you would typically think as far as a call center is concerned, so that was definetely a plus compared to other call centers i have previously worked at. Most customers are understandable when it comes to having to wait to get an issue fixed.

Ive learned how to manage 10 or more employees, Ive learned about health, dental, vision and also life insurance benefits. Ive learned customer service on a professional basis both on the phone and in person.

Great co-workers, I really enjoyed everybody! They are hard workers and are the greatest people i have met to date in a work environment.

The hardest part of the job would probably be during open enrollment. That time of year is the busiest and most hectic and we had more problems in those few months than we did all year. But with my help, we were able to overcome a lot of obstacles and make open enrollment a smoothe transition.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be the potluck fridays or the holidays. We would always congratulate ourselves for all the hard work we have did with a little pot luck or exchange of gifts.
Pros
Free Holiday Dinners At Fine Resturaunts
Outstanding
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 8, 2014
Being an independent agent and working with an amazing leadership group this past year has given me the skills and abilities that I could never find working for an hourly wage. I enjoyed the flexible schedule that allowed me to spend quality time with my family.
Pros
Flexible schedule and great compensation
Cons
Commission based. You must be a self starter and stay motivated. If you don't work, you don't get paid.
Fantastic work environment
Benefits Counselor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 4, 2015
I would set appointments for existing customers and new prospects and review current benefits and upsell where appropriate. I always sold and exceeded company standards and was always in top 5% of company.
Pros
incentives with paid trips etc
Cons
changing commission structure
Voluntary Employee Benefits Company
Independent Agent-Employee Benefits (Current Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSMarch 24, 2014
prospect by cold calling on new business to obtain an appointment; make presentations to decision maker in reference to offering voluntary benefits; set up account; make one-on-one sales presentation to employees; enroll in proprietary software.
Pros
self-employed, bonuses, awards
Cons
Travel, all commission, no health benefits
2 thumbs up
Benefits counselor (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CANovember 18, 2015
I work from home in their virtual call center by receiving calls through colonial on my computer. Excellent environment and great training.
Productive.
Premium Technician II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 9, 2012
I applied premium to million dollar accounts. I have very good skills with word, excel and outlook. I learned how to use a 10 key calculator. I really enjoyed working with numbers and using my knowledge to reconcile discrepancies. My co-workers were a great team to work with. Management was barely involved in my day to day work.
Pros
free lunches, opportunities to volunteer at harvest hope
Cons
the company doesn't promote within.
Great Position
Customer call representative (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GAMarch 12, 2015
I had to do small office tasks such as organizing and typing. I learned how to work in professional office setting. The co-workers and management were equally a great experience to work with because they expanded my knowledge of he position.
Pros
close to home
functional place you are helping someone with a life changing situation
Accident & Health Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 3, 2014
Long Hours interesting people, you meet people from all walks of life.
Pros
free food
Cons
night life
Louisville Office needs an overhaul
Territory Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 29, 2015
Territory managers and trainer do not show up to the office. You are left on your own to figure out your job. There is a lot of backstabbing and gossip amongst the sales force.
Busy office work
Agent and clerk (Former Employee) –  Clarksville,TNOctober 23, 2013
Usually would go to meet clients and help them to with their financial needs. Find products that will help secure clients financial needs. Write policies for the client. Fill out all the applicable paperwork for the products, Take payments from the clients for premium and answer any questions they may have.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Pay