Colonial Management Group Employee Reviews

Soooo disappointing....
Significant nothing (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNSeptember 17, 2016
If you want to work with a controlling back stabbing nurse that yells at everyone including the pts....go for it. INCREDIBLE.

Upper management is a JOKE WITH A PHD in whatever...displaced I imagine because there is absolutely no people skills demonstrated **carries a big stick. They give health care as a profession a bad rap.

Pay is low, salaried means working when ever and wherever they say with no regard to your personal life. THEY USE AND ABUSE. How ironic.

Pts are lacking continuity of care. RN turnover is staggering at 23 nurses either fired or quit in last 3 years...mainly due to vindictive behavior - set up to fail.

STAY AWAY RNs!
Pros
Counselors are good.
Cons
All of the rest
Not a great place to work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLOctober 12, 2016
I worked at a Colonial Management Group clinic for less than one year. It was a great opportunity to work with the patients and help them with their journey. Unfortunately, the clinic burdens counselors with paper work instead of them spending time counseling patients. Nurses are not allowed to work full time so they don't get paid benefits. Many of the nurses are not friendly and treat the patients poorly.
Pros
Good opportunity to help the patients
Cons
No benefits. Patients sometimes wait 2-3 hrs to see a doctor. Poor leadership
Absolutely Awful !!!!!!
CSAC (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 23, 2016
No words can express my disappointment. I am astonished that this legal, drug dealing company is in business. Where are the state people, where are the code of ethics ??? Most of our counselors are not even CSAC credentialed. How can you council substance abuse clients without a CSAC ? I started this job 3 weeks ago, and this week will be my last. As other posts have said, this evil place is destroying peoples lives. Money is more important than any of the "patients". Upper management should have janitorial positions, all kidding aside. The worst experience of my entire career !!!!!!
Pros
NONE
Cons
Everything !
Substance Abuse Counselling
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLNovember 29, 2016
Duties and Responsibilities: Providing mental health and substance abuse treatment services in an outpatient facility. The specific duties will include:
1. Clinical assessments, treatment, case management, consultation, referral and education
according to the individual’s professional discipline. Services shall be provided in
accordance with the established Wyoming Mental Health and Substance Abuse Standards
as well as within the scope of practice of the individual.
2. Conduct psychosocial evaluations and provide therapeutic interventions including crisis
counseling to individuals, groups and families as needed to facilitate.
3. Evaluate the individual and family systems as well as assess client’s functioning within
work, family and routines of daily living and identifies areas needing continued support,
resources and treatment in order to assist clients.
Pros
Cons
PTO system
Wonderful place to work
Substance Abuse Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 22, 2016
I worked for colonial management at Durham Metro for almost three years . I worked with a wonderful group of professionals . My case load was very heavy paper work drove me crazy . But it was a great experience. Being a substance Abuse Counselor can not be just a job it has to be your passion. At Colonial management your skills are tested daily . You will find out quick if that's the job for you. Everyone is not cut out for the job and burn out is inevitable . If your are new to the field it maybe to fast pace but if you love what you do and love a challenge Colonial management is the place for you
Pros
Getting off at 2 o'clock and having your whole day to yourself or possibly even get another job
Cons
Getting up at 4am to be at work at 5:15 a.m.
Stay away
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNOctober 8, 2016
This place is horrible. The Program Director has no clue how to lead. The staff are unethical, they harass and bully one another plus provide no help to the patients. I saw and heard staff make inappropriate harassing comments about patients and staff in front of other patients. Staff were lying on documentation and management ask counselors to lie about patient ratings to get insurance to keep paying. This review doesn't allow for all the corruption that's happening. If you want to keep your license STAY AWAY
Pros
Off at 2
Cons
No options for client who have constantly paid, but then have hard time paying
Recovery (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJuly 28, 2016
They don't really care about the clients, just the money. But you can't take it with you when you die! I was a client there who constantly paid, then I was 1.00 short and was denied my dose because it was the end of the month and they're afraid of being SHORT. They say,"Oh management doesn't like shorts"! Greedy nonhumans. They charge too much daily! We're not in the streets anymore, but got In-house drug dealer hard for a dollar! Whether we spent more in the streets or not. You all are SUPPOSED to be decent, but I guess not. And I realize that you could careless, as long as you get paid, you reap what you sow, God sees how you want gain and then die and go to the wrong place if you don't stop.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
No options
Untrustworthy,lying coworkers and Program director
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 30, 2016
If your looking for a company that will stand behind what they teach while in training....This is not the company! I worked for this company all of 30days minus my off days...While still in training, while being advised and instructed by employees that been there way longer then me....to be called in by the program director reprimanding me about a mistake that made by a counselor but due to me being the newest employee I guess the Program Director decided it would be better to throw me under the bus then the employees that made the mistake and that instructed me to do what was done. Needless to say I quit this job,It was not worth my License and not worth the stress. If you want a company that you can trust This is not it....Keep looking!
Pros
Early hours
Cons
Untrustworthy staff, unempathetic Program Director
Great coworkers and management. Appreciative patients.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLNovember 8, 2016
I was nervous starting this job because it is a different type of nursing than I have ever done. However, the trainer was extremely patient in teaching me the job and local management was very accommodating. It is one of the easier nursing jobs I have had in my 20 plus years of nursing. The only difficulty is it is very busy due to not enough nursing staff. I think nurses don't apply here because they do not know what the job involves. This is not a detox center. The center is open to patients from 5AM till 11AM. Patients come in to receive their medication dose usually on their way to work. Most of our time is spent administering med doses to patients and preparing med doses for the following day. The patients are very appreciative and motivated to keep their lives on track so it is rewarding to watch their progress through the program. Each patient has a counselor to talk to and a Dr who specializes in addiction treatment to customize their treatment plan. There is a team work atmosphere between the staff which makes working here enjoyable. I am not sure why there are negative reviews. I can only speak for the clinic in Tallahassee, Fl. and it is a very friendly and well managed clinic.
Pros
Provides good training. Coworkers are friendly and helpful.
Cons
Need more staff
Cmg
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLDecember 23, 2016
Great place to development and practice skills for case management. Counseling is a commodity and rewarding when patients devote time to it. Number of patients on a counselors' caseload can be revisited for ways of improvement and attaining realistic measures based.
Pros
Working hours
Cons
Case load
Employment here at CMG
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLSeptember 14, 2016
I have worked with CMG for quite a while now and it has been such an amazing, humbling experience. The staff is wonderful, the job training is incredible and the work life balance is great! I encourage everyone to apply and become part of our CMG family!
Poor company
Clinician (Former Employee) –  MaineDecember 4, 2016
After 3 yrs had to leave for my mental and emotioal health. I fwel there is no respect by the company toward workers or patients. No input allowed and no professional considerations for knowledge and abilities. Don' work for these people as profit is the bottom line. Worst business i've ever worked in.
Other cons i've seen pretty well all cover it well.
Pros
A job
Cons
Too many to list
Can't speak for other areas but this clinic is doing it right!
Former nurse (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJuly 1, 2016
Ok. As a former employee I left on my own because of family and sooo much going on under a 3 child household!!! Crazy busy! Anyways... This company was great to work for. I can't speak for higher ups because most of the time my program director took care of that aspect for us. As for the staff on sight... Awesome! This group of people work very well together and know what they're doing! Great nurses, great doctor, great counsellors and great program director. Patient goals are definitely in mind and I believe staff does a great job of knowing who's there for the right reasons! I would definitely go back in a heartbeat!
Pros
Everything! Counselors and nurses worked well together, program director was awesome and knew what he was doing
Cons
None really.
Be very cautious about this place!!!!!! (Mid Florida Metro Treatment Center)
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJune 20, 2016
I worked there for just under a year and that was enough time to see how things are truly ran here and at various locations under Colonial Management Group. Good place to get experience in the field of substance abuse and mental health as a masters student studying mental health counseling with little experience required. Don't stay for more than a year because you will be in danger of burning out because of lack of support and resources for counselors.

Everything else, terrible leadership constantly throwing other staff under the bus. Counselors are extremely over-burdened with paperwork and mindless tasks. Program director did not value staff input and regularly discredited and attempted to intimidate employees. No team cohesion and everyone was out for themselves. No value of each staff member and pay was so little for all that was required with high caseloads (70 to 1 staff) at times without proper supervision. Overall negative environment feeling like you are walking on egg shells on a regular basis. Would not recommend anyone work here if you can help it but if you are a counseling masters student take the opportunity to learn a bit but DON't STAY FOR MORE THAN A YEAR I WARN YOU FOR YOUR SANITY!!!!

Program director should be better managed from higher ups to make sure that they are an effective leader and not simply bullying their employees to bend to their will. I would suggest massive amounts of retraining and continuing education to better assist the PD on better serving their staff and ensuring that compliance is in working order. In addition, fighting for additional
  more... compensation for the high amount of work that is done as well. Lastly, recognize and acknowledge outstanding team members that are going above and beyond the call of duty as a little bit really can go a long way and boost team morale. Lastly, stop fracturing the team and putting the younger new counselors against the older ones as that does nothing but hurt the team, working environment, and patients overall.  less
Pros
The staff (minus the program director)
Cons
Literally everything else
Former Employee
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLApril 26, 2016
Do not, I repeat, do not torture yourself with this job! After 3 years of giving my all, I was dismissed like I was nothing and then told that they were weeding out the old! The corporation is money hungry! They don't care about anyone, patient or employee. The pay is horrific and you will have a caseload of at least 60-70 patients. There is no leadership and when there is, the corporation sends in the higher ups to fix what's not broken instead of fixing the problem. If you want a job that treats you like a slave and doesn't care about your needs or the needs of the patient, then this place is for you. If you want to be a substance abuse counselor for a facility who really cares, find a different corporation! Don't waste your schooling and hard work for a company that you can't advance in!
Pros
Early hours and coworkers who have become family over the years
Cons
Everything else!
You're going to regret working here...
LPN (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 16, 2016
Go ahead and accept the job. Then, begin to prepare for a roller coaster type ride of employee drama, manager bullying, and company lies. You'll begin to wonder at what point the counselors & nurses are actually going to help patients in treatment because you're spending so much time trying to weave through a maze of junior high level mentality and mean girls attitudes. The turnover rate at this company is the highest I've ever seen...and there's a reason. Be mindful that this is a for profit company and the $$$$$ are the #1 priority. If you think that a call to HR will help you get some employee related problems changed, you're wrong. That would be a valid expectation, but you're still very, very wrong. I think maybe there was a large crop of incompetent, disrespectful, dishonest people grown and cultivated and CMG hired them all to run the company.

I really enjoyed working with the patients and would have continued to work at CMG, but I finally realized and accepted that the company supports any negative employee behaviors (including a Program Director that bullied and retaliated against counselors and nurses) and a complete lack of integrity as long as the patient census is acceptable. So, do yourself a favor and don't even apply. You deserve better than to have to work for CMG.
Do yourself a favor and don't even send your resume
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 29, 2016
I would not go back to this company if it was the last job on Earth!!! Where do I even start, its just awful. First of all, you will be micro-managed and treated like a child by a manager who likely has less qualifications and experience than you do. The caseloads are so far out of compliance with state regs its not even funny -and they will claim its a temporary thing - but in all my years there my caseload was way over the limit most of the time. And when you can't keep up with all the paperwork for70, 80, or 90 patients Corporate tries to blame you. If your goal is to truly help someone, its unlikely to happen here because there is no way to care for the number of patients they want you to manage. Even being short staffed they continued to admit patients until the state stepped in and made them stop - because, while they claim the mission is to help, the actual goal is money. Some of the patients are really trying, but some are clearly not interested in recovery but CMG just keeps on giving them methadone. Its nearly impossible to discharge a patient even when they continue to use and refuse to participate in treatment - no accountability! On site staff are not trusted to make good decisions so almost anything you do requires approval from one or more managers several states away with no direct knowledge of your patient. Over the past several years this Corporate office has grown top heavy, so many managers and not enough counselors! So you won't only have one boss - you'll have more like 50 bosses! Not to mention the Corporate structure changes from the top down every  more... couple years and this trickles down to you - and not in a good way! Raises are a joke and goals to earn a bonus are almost impossible to reach! No matter what you do you will be made to feel its not enough!!! This is a toxic and horrible place to work!!! Oh did I mention the hours - you will start at 5am - and don't even be a minute late because the micro managers will notice. I have worked with some really great counselors at this treatment center but no one stays for long! There are some great patients there as well and the lack of real help they are getting is heartbreaking! Do yourself a favor and just look elsewhere for a job!!!  less
Pros
Doctors and CRNP are the best!! so knowledgeable and caring
Cons
everything else - seriously
Run for the Hills
worker (Former Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 11, 2014
If you want to work with addicts who are not encouraged/helped to maintain a sober lifestyle then this is the place for you. Long hours, low pay, but advancement opportunities due to MAJOR turnover. No real treatment, no employee training or education offered. Terrible management - will not answer calls or emails, and will lie to save their own skin. No direction and changes are an every day occurrence. Money is being made hand over fist and the average hard working employee will never see a dime of it ! Patients cannot afford the methadone and are not offered any subsidies, financial assistance whatsoever.
Pros
early hours
Cons
pay, staffing, caseloads way too high, no appreciation or loyalty
I love my fast paced job
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDFebruary 28, 2016
If you like early hours like I do this job is great, I'm out by 1-2 daily & have the rest of my day. As a counselor my job is very fast paced and case loads are very heavy, but if your organized you can manage. Speaking for myself, my capabilities have been recognized & rewarded. CMG is corporate top heavy and I'm not terribly fond of people in a different state making decisions about our location such as relieving us of security guards, or only working one counselor on a weekend but I just roll with whatever I'm supposed to do....counsel. Personally I think the salary is fine, 401k @6% match, free life insurance, cheap health benefits 104$ a month, & a good amount of PTO. My director & one of my clinical supervisors is very approachable. A core group of counselors has kept the sensus going & we have hired several counselors but....corporate is eager to grow the sensus (there is a tremendous need) and have hired several new employees, however Very young & not experienced, just qualified on paper. If your an experience counselor that likes to work apply, you'll do well. Just remember professionalism before personality. Our building is new & expanding. Every job has its pitfalls but I plan on staying with CMG
Pros
Good benefits, approachable director, team approach, great doctors & nursing staff
Cons
No gaurds, big case loads, personality conflicts with counselors at times
Run from this ad.
former employee (Former Employee) –  midwestJune 14, 2016
This is the worst of the worst. Unprofessional, lie right to your face. Poor pay, lousy working conditions. Keep reading other ads . Stay away from this company.
Pros
Cons
too numerous to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colonial Management Group. Our community is ready to answer.

1.9