Colonial Management Group Employee Reviews

Outstanding Professional Environment
Treatment Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMay 24, 2017
I have been at CMG/New Season Sarasota for a little over a year and I feel incredibly supported by upper management. I feel they are a very supportive and encouraging organization and the potential to grow within the organization is virtually limitless.

The overall work environment is a therapeutic one and as a former employee of our current competitor, I believe we are head and shoulders above them.

There is a compassionate and caring team of employees with whom I work and our corporate leaders are only a phone call away.

I truly love this modality and feel I work with the best organization in the field.
Pros
Great salary, great environment, I have all the equipment I need to do my job effectively, great team of peers, the organization truly cares about the patient.
Cons
Work hours - 5am is a bit much! But, so worth it:)
Depending on location
Substance abuse Therapist (Current Employee) –  MiamiApril 30, 2017
Very Stressful. Very Overworked, VERY VERY UNDERPAID. IT's Slavery. Not Valued Financially. They try to financially compensate in other ways. Your hard work getting your degree should be valued. Good people come and go in this company.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
everything mentioned above
Great team of nurses! Excellent PD and counselors. Couldnt ask for a better group of people to work with.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLApril 22, 2017
Very rewarding to be involved with patients who successfully complete the program and are living productive lives. Must have accountability for your actions and success. The company is making great strides to become a better program for both employees and patients. Program Director is very helpful and resourceful.
Pros
Getting off work early and great team of coworkers
Cons
Things can change from one day to the next. Have to be flexible.
experience
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 21, 2017
This company has lots of potential and master lever employee who are working with lower pay. The job is good because it is good to a client being successful in their treatment and doing well
Great place, Great Team and Great Program Director
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLApril 1, 2017
this is the best place I ever worked, we work as a team and we have the best program director and nurses are the best, hardest part of the job is dealing with patients who are using drugs other than methadone. corporate office took our Police away!! Putting the staff in danger,because of money.
Pros
Work like family
Cons
No security
chaotic
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 13, 2017
Too many responsibilities for the pay. Love the patients and employees. Corporate was not easy to deal with. Only negative feedback, not positive. Would never work there again.
New Hanover Metro
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Hanover MetroMarch 12, 2017
Will not get paid for overtime hours worked. Working there is good if the program director personally likes you. I enjoyed working with the patients and the job provides good experience for people that are new to the Substance Abuse Counseling field.
Pros
early hours
Cons
health insurance
Great co-workers, but too many chiefs.
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  New HampshireMarch 7, 2017
This is a starter position, first and foremost. I would not recommend building your career here as the company is already top-heavy and every boss has potentially several bosses above them. It's like an upside-down pyramid.

The team (counselors and nursing staff) is fantastic for the most part and bring much experience to the table. The problem is that corporate continues to change the rules and what they want line staff to do without even considering the already thin veneer of patient services stretched to the limit. In essence, you will become a paper-pusher first and if you have time.. a counselor second. You will be tasked with the impossible job of making sure any and all documentation is perfect and completed (I've done the math via task analysis and the requirements are a physical impossibility; you literally need at least an extra 40 hours each month!). I'm all for working hard but don't set your employees up for instant failure. There is no way 5 weeks worth of work is getting done in 4 every month. Oh, and no overtime or you'll get reamed a good one, just to start.

Conflicts between nursing and clinical staff, a very passive program director, and a drive to increase census at all costs (which includes maintaining chronic crack using clients on methadone without much in terms of intervention) makes the environment stagnant and repetitive. There is treatment and then there is CMG. Quasi-treatment does not classify as treatment.

Use this as a stepping stone, then move on to something better. Career expectancy for a substance abuse counselor is reportedly about
  more... 2 years. It makes sense if you work here.  less
Pros
Great staff to work with, experience to build within the field.
Cons
Passive PD, top-heavy corporate office, ever-changing corporate policies.
Tense, negative workplace
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  MNJanuary 22, 2017
Hours and basis for pay unclear until several weeks on the job. FT + hours, no comp time. Job responsibilities expanded after hiring, no written procedures or guidance to follow. Maximum responsibility, no local or individual autonomy allowed by this company. Rare positive feedback, unaddressed tension amongst employees, fears over job security, negative expectations of employees and customers made poor work culture.
Pros
Excellent health insurance, av. pay
Cons
Numerous
Lying Program Director- out of control Admin Asst - lazy counselors
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLJanuary 2, 2017
Steer clear of this place. I know you may need a job but this isn't the place for anyone to work. I am looking everyday to get out of here. Some great counselors some ok and some terrible. Some act like they're cops and others like they're your friend while they are trying to get you fired. The director will threaten you daily with your job, and she is very degrading. the secretary does everything but answer the phones- the best is when she tells a counselor how to set up guest dosing or a transfer and she's never even done it!!!!!! And the director thinks this is ok.
Pros
Hours and pay
Cons
Back stabbing counselors, bully Director, out of control secretary
Untrustworthy,lying coworkers and Program director
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 30, 2016
If your looking for a company that will stand behind what they teach while in training....This is not the company! I worked for this company all of 30days minus my off days...While still in training, while being advised and instructed by employees that been there way longer then me....to be called in by the program director reprimanding me about a mistake that made by a counselor but due to me being the newest employee I guess the Program Director decided it would be better to throw me under the bus then the employees that made the mistake and that instructed me to do what was done. Needless to say I quit this job,It was not worth my License and not worth the stress. If you want a company that you can trust This is not it....Keep looking!
Pros
Early hours
Cons
Untrustworthy staff, unempathetic Program Director
Cmg
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLDecember 23, 2016
Great place to development and practice skills for case management. Counseling is a commodity and rewarding when patients devote time to it. Number of patients on a counselors' caseload can be revisited for ways of improvement and attaining realistic measures based.
Pros
Working hours
Cons
Case load
Poor company
Clinician (Former Employee) –  MaineDecember 4, 2016
After 3 yrs had to leave for my mental and emotioal health. I fwel there is no respect by the company toward workers or patients. No input allowed and no professional considerations for knowledge and abilities. Don' work for these people as profit is the bottom line. Worst business i've ever worked in.
Other cons i've seen pretty well all cover it well.
Pros
A job
Cons
Too many to list
Substance Abuse Counselling
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLNovember 29, 2016
Duties and Responsibilities: Providing mental health and substance abuse treatment services in an outpatient facility. The specific duties will include:
1. Clinical assessments, treatment, case management, consultation, referral and education
according to the individual’s professional discipline. Services shall be provided in
accordance with the established Wyoming Mental Health and Substance Abuse Standards
as well as within the scope of practice of the individual.
2. Conduct psychosocial evaluations and provide therapeutic interventions including crisis
counseling to individuals, groups and families as needed to facilitate.
3. Evaluate the individual and family systems as well as assess client’s functioning within
work, family and routines of daily living and identifies areas needing continued support,
resources and treatment in order to assist clients.
Pros
Cons
PTO system
Great coworkers and management. Appreciative patients.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLNovember 8, 2016
I was nervous starting this job because it is a different type of nursing than I have ever done. However, the trainer was extremely patient in teaching me the job and local management was very accommodating. It is one of the easier nursing jobs I have had in my 20 plus years of nursing. The only difficulty is it is very busy due to not enough nursing staff. I think nurses don't apply here because they do not know what the job involves. This is not a detox center. The center is open to patients from 5AM till 11AM. Patients come in to receive their medication dose usually on their way to work. Most of our time is spent administering med doses to patients and preparing med doses for the following day. The patients are very appreciative and motivated to keep their lives on track so it is rewarding to watch their progress through the program. Each patient has a counselor to talk to and a Dr who specializes in addiction treatment to customize their treatment plan. There is a team work atmosphere between the staff which makes working here enjoyable. I am not sure why there are negative reviews. I can only speak for the clinic in Tallahassee, Fl. and it is a very friendly and well managed clinic.
Pros
Provides good training. Coworkers are friendly and helpful.
Cons
Need more staff
Not a great place to work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLOctober 12, 2016
I worked at a Colonial Management Group clinic for less than one year. It was a great opportunity to work with the patients and help them with their journey. Unfortunately, the clinic burdens counselors with paper work instead of them spending time counseling patients. Nurses are not allowed to work full time so they don't get paid benefits. Many of the nurses are not friendly and treat the patients poorly.
Pros
Good opportunity to help the patients
Cons
No benefits. Patients sometimes wait 2-3 hrs to see a doctor. Poor leadership
Stay away
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNOctober 8, 2016
This place is horrible. The Program Director has no clue how to lead. The staff are unethical, they harass and bully one another plus provide no help to the patients. I saw and heard staff make inappropriate harassing comments about patients and staff in front of other patients. Staff were lying on documentation and management ask counselors to lie about patient ratings to get insurance to keep paying. This review doesn't allow for all the corruption that's happening. If you want to keep your license STAY AWAY
Pros
Off at 2
Soooo disappointing....
Significant nothing (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNSeptember 17, 2016
If you want to work with a controlling back stabbing nurse that yells at everyone including the pts....go for it. INCREDIBLE.

Upper management is a JOKE WITH A PHD in whatever...displaced I imagine because there is absolutely no people skills demonstrated **carries a big stick. They give health care as a profession a bad rap.

Pay is low, salaried means working when ever and wherever they say with no regard to your personal life. THEY USE AND ABUSE. How ironic.

Pts are lacking continuity of care. RN turnover is staggering at 23 nurses either fired or quit in last 3 years...mainly due to vindictive behavior - set up to fail.

STAY AWAY RNs!
Pros
Counselors are good.
Cons
All of the rest
Employment here at CMG
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLSeptember 14, 2016
I have worked with CMG for quite a while now and it has been such an amazing, humbling experience. The staff is wonderful, the job training is incredible and the work life balance is great! I encourage everyone to apply and become part of our CMG family!
Absolutely Awful !!!!!!
CSAC (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 23, 2016
No words can express my disappointment. I am astonished that this legal, drug dealing company is in business. Where are the state people, where are the code of ethics ??? Most of our counselors are not even CSAC credentialed. How can you council substance abuse clients without a CSAC ? I started this job 3 weeks ago, and this week will be my last. As other posts have said, this evil place is destroying peoples lives. Money is more important than any of the "patients". Upper management should have janitorial positions, all kidding aside. The worst experience of my entire career !!!!!!
Pros
Cons
Everything !

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colonial Management Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.2