Colonial School District Employee Reviews

The Most Enjoyable Part of my Career
5th / 4th Grade & Kindergarten Teacher (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEJuly 12, 2017
There are many enjoyable parts to my career. The most enjoyable part of my career is knowing that I can make a difference in just one student's life. Knowing that I am able to shape a student, and be a positive role model is very powerful. As an educator I wear many hats and have to be ready to switch to a different hat at a moments notice. I enjoy this flexibility. I also appreciate the ability to work as a team, but still have the room to be independent with choices that are a "fit" for my students.
Pros
Flexibility to make choices that are fit for my students
Cons
Numerous after- school activities
Rewarding
Cafeteria Aide (Current Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAJune 29, 2017
If you enjoy working with others to provide a well balanced learning environment for children, then the Colonial School District is the place to be.Your input is valued, and you get to work with many like minded individuals.
Working with children can be challenging and demanding at times, but the smiles on the children's faces make it all worth it.
Pros
Great hours for going back to work after raising small children.
Cons
Only 15 hours available during typical week and none during summer.
Like any other kitchen
Substitute food service worker (Current Employee) –  Conshohocken, PA 19428May 27, 2017
Worked in the kitchens of colonial school district. They are clean for the most part, taken well care of. Work is normal, get free lunches, and usually one or two breaks depending on how ahead of work you are. Pay is okay for subs 10.75 and better for full time employee 13. Only thing is full time is really only 25 hours a week so you really need a second job if you take this.
Pros
free lunches, retirement plan, help kids
Cons
no advancement, no work in the summer, low hours
Food service postiton
Nutritionist (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEMay 23, 2017
colonial school district typical day at work is to get set up for the kids to come in and get their lunch, and then once they are finish we clean up for the next day. I learned how to be patient when dealing with certain situations. The management was great, the hardest part of the job, I can not find anything hard about what I was doing, the most enjoyable thing about the job is working with the beautiful children.
Wonderful place to work
Desktop Support Technician II (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEMay 16, 2017
Great place to work, with good people and great benefits. Everyone there treated you like a person and made sure that you were well taken care of. People did hat they could to help, and managers focused on fixing problems instead of finding someone to blame.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEMay 13, 2017
I am semi retired and the Colonial School District position of school bus driver is an ideal job for me. You really have to like interacting with school children. The job is very rewarding and makes me feel like I am giving back to society.
Pros
Part time work enabling me to do things during the mid day
Hit or Miss
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEApril 28, 2017
Some buildings have a much better atmosphere than others, but overall the needs of the kids are placed first and it's a nice place to work. It's a Title I district.

The hardest part of the job is managing the serious behavior issues. Admin does their best, but that doesn't make it easier for teachers to deal with kids running and screaming down the halls during class time.
Inspiring Excellence
3rd - 5th Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bear, DEAugust 26, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working as an educator in the colonial school district. A typical day on the job was full of fun and learning.
Like a Family
Elementary Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEJuly 5, 2016
I truly enjoyed my time as an Elementary Education teacher within the Colonial School District! Administration in my building was amazing. I felt truly lucky to be working for such a caring principal. I will truly miss my time at NCE.
Pros
Wonderful staff and Admin
Cons
Testing
Colonial School District is a great enviroment in which to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEJanuary 18, 2016
The company has given me many opportunities to learn management positions and has also given me many experiences in learning how to work with many people. The hardest part of the job is trying to work with the different working paces of others. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting many people and being able to assist others.
Working with this organization afforded the opportunity to work both outside and to keep my administrative skills sharp by working in the office.
School Bus Driver/PA Cert Instructor/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAOctober 26, 2015
Typically, my work day began with driving a school bus route that transported special-needs students. Following that, I would work in the Transportation Office assisting with many administrative duties including providing information to parents, schools, contractors, resolving complaints, assisting in the routing of buses, training school bus drivers, providing driver in-service training as required by the state of PA every 4 years. My co-workers were a fun bunch with which to work. My supervisors were very pleasant, fair and respectful towards me. Realizing how much the parents appreciated the conscientious job that I did was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Kept my office skills sharp as well as a valuable B class commercial drivers license
Cons
There was not an employee handbook with a clear set of holidays, policies, etc.
Great people, and learned a lot about co-teaching.
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAMay 27, 2015
There were a lot of teachers who were there because they wanted to help all the children. I made great connections with teachers, therapists, and parents.
School District
Human Resources Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEMarch 15, 2015
I enjoyed working with the different employee groups. The ultimate goal is to make sure the top talent is hired to service students.
Pros
10 month and 12 month positions are available.
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities for secretaries.
Loved this summer job.
Janitor/Grounds Keeper (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEMarch 9, 2015
As a youth the school district would hire student athletes during the summer. We would keep the grounds, do janitorial work etc. I worked three summer with them and I loved it every year.
Desire to teach in an urban setting
Student Teacher/Long-term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAAugust 18, 2014
I left this position to pursue a teaching position in an urban setting.
Great Place to work
Substitute Custodian (Former Employee) –  Lafayette Hill, PAAugust 16, 2014
A day consisted of general cleaning of areas in the different schools in the district, I learned alot about the uses of different techniques and tools of the trade. Management was very helpful in providing a great work environment and ensuring we had all the tools necessary. Co workers were very helpful as well in learning the ropes.

Hardest part of the job for me was the travel, but it was worth it. And I enjoyed every aspect of the job itself.
Public School
Writing Clinician (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAAugust 8, 2013
Worked with students on essay assistance. It was a public school teaching position.
Good place to work, friendly environment
Custodian/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DeApril 9, 2013
Very productive, very busy, at times slow, over all it was good, like to be busy, people are very friendly. I was a substitute and job was temporary. I enjoyed coworkers willing to help out as team players when needed.
Cons
temporary
John G. Leach is a great school to work at, it a very eye opening school.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEJanuary 20, 2013
I work in the 18-21 year old program. These students are on they way to graduate and we get to enjoy Prom with them and graduations with Caps and gowns. Its very fun and sadding due to the students had been in the school since they were 3 years old.
Pros
the number one pro is you get to see what they've learned and mastered over the years.
Cons
they are leaving and you are their last stop before graduating.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEDecember 11, 2012
I enjoyed working with disabled children as being a paraprofessional on the school bus from picking them up in the morning and taking care of them as they are being transported to school and the same task in the afternoon until they are dropped off in the afternoon to there home.
Pros
helping others

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colonial School District. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4