Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Employee Reviews

Productive Workplace
Senior Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAAugust 26, 2017
Workplace strongly promoted advancement
Direct management was very good however management in other aspects of colonial williamsburg seemed inept
Worst part of job was large amounts of work mandatory outside the workplace for no pay
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Homework
Enjoyed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAAugust 21, 2017
Very fast pace, enjoyed working with guests. Very high standards that must be met and challenged by secret shoppers and guests reviews.

multiple shifts, working different days and hours each week.
Pros
respectable position
Cons
long hours, holiday work, weekend work.
Colonial Williamsburg
Donor Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VA 23185August 1, 2017
A day at Colonial Williamsburg is like stepping back in time and being inspired by our forefathers who diligently sought to apprehend freedom and equality for all people. People from diverse cultures and backgrounds work together to carry on the tradition of upholding the truths and values of our great Constitution...We the people...The atmosphere is competitive, but always friendly and collaboration is encouraged. Workers input and ideas are welcomed and rewarded regularly.
Pros
Fun environment, cosplay in some areas, great benefits package
Cons
Medium to high stress level to perform well; Long HOT summers
Sad place to work.
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 26, 2017
You had to work in fear everyday with the idea of being laid off or the company closing. The president and all of the upper management does not know how to run the business. I don't see the company staying open for much longer because the past president and this president are running it into the ground.
Cons
Bad management, no growth in company, lack of reward for good workers
Money, money, money
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 21, 2017
A tragedy in progress, and so very heartbreaking to see it's decline. Management cares only about making money and not it's employees. IF they would treat their employees as well as they want their guests to be treated - this would be a great place to work at. Benefits are OK - but you will pay.
Pros
Great historic place!
Cons
Management is overwhelmed and takes it out on their employees.
fun place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 19, 2017
easy to learn. no pressure work. Managers are helpful and on your side. you can take time off when you need it. New management are doing some cut back as they see fit to do.
Pros
Paid lunch time
Cons
Not paid up to standards
Great Company
DONOR STEWARDSHIP SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 19, 2017
Colonial Williamsburg is a great place to work, however it may not be the best environment for young professionals. A typical workday consist of responding to donor complaints. I enjoy all of the changes that are being implemented throughout the foundation.
Pros
Great people.
Cons
Not much opportunity for growth.
Colonial Williamsburg has a friendly helpful work environment.
Senior Gardener/Grower (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg. VaJune 18, 2017
A typical work day often includes interaction with other departments. it is a cooperative environment. I have learned that many employees have a deep pride in the vision and work of the foundation.
The workplace culture is relaxed and laid back.
Pros
Friendly environment, excellent benefits.
Cons
The work environment at times is too lax.
Telling the history of the tavern
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMay 24, 2017
Dressing up in the 1800 clothes,talking about the tavern an what people used to do there,having special events like interpretors to talk about themselves an what they did.
Pros
Wounderful experince
Cons
Long nights
Housekeeper
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAApril 28, 2017
Mopping bathroom floors,emptying trash cans ,making up beds,and dusting furniture.using multiple chemicals for cleaning and sanitizing hotel suites.wiping down windows
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No benefits
A Wonderful place to work!
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAApril 7, 2017
I enjoyed my years at Colonial Williamsburg very much.
Working in this division there was always something different and fun going on. The people were friendly and a close knit group.
It was a very hard decision to leave. However, in 2010 my husband deployed to Afghanistan for a year and being alone in Williamsburg, I wanted to have flexible time to go and be with my aging mother and family.
Pros
An active place, a lot of catered lunches, and guest
Cons
Work space wasn't great, and a freeze was put on raises, so even though I received glowing reviews, I was never compensated with a raise.
I work with the best team in CW.
Senior Gardener (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMarch 12, 2017
Varied, Best foreman to work for ever. We complete a full day and always find enjoyment in what we do. Like any job we do have to put up with managements minutia haha. But this team is all professionals and I know I can trust each one of them to get the job done no matter how hard it may be..
Productive and exciting
Sales Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMarch 10, 2017
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is an exciting place to work and get involved in history. It is a different day everyday, an employee gets to interact with different people and get to experience history
Pros
Different everyday, a part of history
Cons
short breaks
Identity Crisis
Digital Designer (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAFebruary 18, 2017
Working under this Marketing department was like receiving orders from a distant god with little or no instruction, feedback, or interaction. Scheduled meetings were usually cancelled. If you don't get hired directly by the Marketing director fear for your job. This organization is having a major identity crisis.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no teamwork, elitist attitudes, brown nosers get the cake
good
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAFebruary 15, 2017
great coworkers, fair to avg benefits, below to avg pay. Poor employee moral due to job cuts and general instability. Poor communication with upper management.
Pros
Free admission to museum, tuition reimbursement
Cons
slow advancement
Historically interesting place to work.
Marketing Copywriter (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJanuary 31, 2017
Not very interested in trying new approaches to marketing or attracting new customers. Driven by many different cooks in the kitchen who are all competing for their business lines to succeed.
Good experiance
Americam Indian Interpretor (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VADecember 28, 2016
It's a good place to work if your in scholl, but I need a career. The employees are great to work with as well. Although there is little to no advancement opportunity and no possibility of earning a raise.
Pros
Cons
Low pay across the board
fun place to work at
Cook (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VANovember 28, 2016
Great place to work at. Lots of opportunity in the work place. Have more the one job opportunities that you can choose from. You can make a career from this company.
is a nice place to work
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  main warehouseOctober 8, 2016
not abad place to work although manabement dets in the way at times with micro-management . they often use intimidation tactics and no job security is felt.
Pros
nice people to meet and work with
Cons
upper management and middle, supervisors seem to micro manage and intimadate people
Lovely company to work for
Cashier(part time nights)Kings Arm Tavern (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAAugust 16, 2016
The Job it self was wonderful.Come in get the bank out of the office count the bank even though I counted it the night before making sure its balance is still 500.00 dollars.Check the count(people we are expecting for dinner) with Servers and ask if we are hosting parties tonight?If so how man?.If they all are B.E.O accounts or payment at conclusion. I go to my cash cage(its called) I sit fill out my paper work My deposit slip for that night my paper work, check tape for register,tape check tape dispenser and refill pen bowl and staplers(both) Servers and mines. I greet each and every person in the kitchen. then i prepare to be given the checks s the customer come in to be rung out,validated that the information used for credit cards and rooms are correct by calling the Operator of the establishment the customer is residing.
Pros
great food
Cons
even thou I pay 35 cents a day its never any food left