Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Employee Reviews

CW EXPEIRENCE
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), VAMay 9, 2015
A TYPICAL DAY COULD BE VERY HECTIC WITH THE PHONES RINGING AND BEING SHORT HANDED. MY CO-WORKERS WERE THE BEST PART OF WORKING THERE. THEY MADE THE WORK EASIER AND A KITTLE LESS STRESSFUL.
Great to work with the public
Guest Service Specialist (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: friendly environment, meet the public, pride in what i sell
Cons: i wish we had better hours and more job security
My job requires me to deal with the public on a daily basis. I also work with a at least one co-worker every day. I enjoy meeting many people and as a tourist destination, I literally have met people from all around the world. I have even met people who knew some of my family from years ago!
I am naturally an outgoing, friendly person. At work I am all "business" in that I do my transactions within a demanding timeframe, thoroughly and accurately, and I always remember to mention or recommend other products. Other products can include an evening program, upsell a ticket (for example, one a one-day to a year pass), a Colonial Williamsburg tavern or a carriage ride.
A rare lifetime opportunity!
Character Interpreter/Actress (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VAJanuary 6, 2015
Cons: my job ended
I managed three gift shops and 27 employees. My typical day involved opening the shops, handling the cash banks, setting up the staff in the various positions needed. Scheduling, payroll, inventory, interviewing, hiring, counseling, teaching classes in 18th century craft on occasion and dressing in 18th century costume. All while engaging the public in the largest, living history museum in the world.
The hardest part of the job was the 17 years of working every Holiday. The most enjoyable part were the Magical moments that took place when people truly engaged you in "period fashion".
American style comfort food
Chef De Part'ie (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VADecember 19, 2014
Worked as Chef De Part’ie running one of the many well know restaurants for the foundation. I managed the ordering and worked as head chef of this establishment. I wrote and cost menus, order guides, schedules, prep sheets and over looked P&L statements on a weekly basis. The foundation also has put me thru management classes on staffing, speaking to influence, and time management also motivating the unmotivated, and other classes that were based on union contracted employees.
No merit system in which to draw points from
Server (Former Employee), Chownings TavernNovember 24, 2014
I have worked for a Colonial Williamsburg Tavern for almost eight years.I had the opportunity to work with some of the most hardworking people I have known. Management is however tied to a union contract that is unyielding. Everyone works EVERY holiday. You must pick a schedule including days, nights (until around 11-12) and 1, 2 or 3 14 hour shifts per week. Everyone must work full time. They go through managers quickly (I've seen about a dozen or so in eight years).
The money can be excellent for a server position in this area though. You can expect to earn 30-40,000 if you work hard and are good at what you do. Very difficult to work this job if you have school age children.
Very fun place to work at
Room Attendant (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VAAugust 21, 2014
Love the atmophere
fast paced employment
Great benefits
Great wages
Great people and workplace
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VAMarch 11, 2014
Pros: benefits and education available
Cons: breaks can be limited.
Educational opportunities for those who are willing to take advantage.
First impressions for tourists to the greater Williamsburg area
Guest Service Specialist (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAFebruary 1, 2014
Many tourists flock to the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center immediately upon arrival, regardless of whether they are going into the Revolutionary City, Busch Gardens, or even other points of the Historic Triangle. It is our job to assess their needs and properly educate and orient them, most often selling the most appropriate ticket to get the most of their visit. Days are usually 6-8 hours at a desk.
Historic Area Experience
Guest Service Specialist (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VAMay 14, 2013
A typical day of work consisted of greeting guest, recommending admission tickets, and making the historic area a great experience. The management team was awesome. They were very helpful when it came to wanting more training or help with questions about the historic area. I enjoyed this job because of my co-workers and meeting people all across the world. I gained a lot by working in the historic area and being knowledgeable on history.
Coworkers make it a better day, everyday.
Actor Interpreter (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAApril 25, 2013
Pros: insurance, 401k, one hour lunches, costumes and laundry service provided
The social environment and overall work experience would improve if communication and planning were utilized a bit more. Upstanding people tend to work for this foundation which is a plus.
CW
Guest Services (Former Employee), Williamsburg VAApril 7, 2013
Pros: good shifts
Cons: huge buliding, no security n reach
Great starting pay, friendly management, good shifts. However the work load could be too much because at moments picking up the slack for others was needed.
Productive, Educational, and fun workplace
Retail Customer Service Rep.D/ Bilingual (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VAMarch 26, 2013
Pros: many benefits as an employee and offers continueous education
Visitors can become a part of the two-day saga as the city comes alive to depict the days, months, and years leading up to and during the Revolutionary War. Meet the locals—townspeople, tradespeople, shopkeepers, political figures, women, and slaves—and learn of their hopes, struggles, and fears in these uncertain times.

You can also be at the center of it all with access to endless recreational opportunities—such as golf, tennis, spa services, fitness classes, mini golf, swimming, and lawn bowling—as well as special guest-only events and opportunities.

The job was very enjoyable because you had a chance to get away from the office for awhile and communicate with visitors face to face, not just over the phone.
Difficult work Environment.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAFebruary 15, 2013
Cons: bad 401k matching, rotating shifts, low pay rate
Working at CWF requires you to sacrifice your time at home, involves rotating shifts that are never consistent, and there are no set guidelines that bridge the various supervisors. Also never count on cost of living raises or good pay either
A learning experience
Room attendant (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAJanuary 21, 2013
Very productive days. I learned more about what guests look for when they check in a hotel. Co-workers are nice. Hardest part of the job is when you have all checkouts and the rooms are all trashed. Just being part of a team that works together to get the job done.
a completely unique experience
Waiter (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAOctober 2, 2012
Pros: work invironment
Cons: holidays
I work in an excetionl environment providing world clss dinner service for guests from around the state, country and the world including Queen Elizabeth II on her lat visit to America prior to her attending the Kentucky Derby. I have learned much about food service & preparation, having made friend of customers & co-workers that will last a lifetime.
Holidays are a challange being away from the family.
One of the best jobs I've had.
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VASeptember 14, 2012
Working at CW was one of the best jobs I've had. Very enjoyable atmosphere, very nice co-workers, and I loved every job responsiblity I was assigned.
Beautiful Place
Safety Intern (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAAugust 20, 2012
It is a historic site. It is a big outdoor museum showing life as it was in 18th century america. Conducting safety inspections is a bit different since all the trades are from the 18th century. The company keeps everything as safe as possible and as real as possible as it is meant to be for the public to be able to get a glimpse into the past.
Call Center
Inbound Sales Agent (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VAMay 4, 2012
Pros: spacious
Cons: pay
Great group of people, like a second family! Answer phones, take reservations, promote packages.
Productive an very diverse
Steward (Former Employee), Williamsburg, VAApril 19, 2012
Pros: a great learning experience
Cons: eight hours in the heat during the summer
I loved my job in Colonial Williamsburg it's a very diverse job. You learn many of things as far as history to present.