Colorado Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Basic Security Prison Guard
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 18, 2017
The management is whoever applied and got the job because they are friendly with upper management. Rarely do you get someone who is qualified to lead. The security is horrible, the aforementioned promoted staff dont know how to lead or teach newly hired officers. Security is also a huge concern with newly promoted teaching or not teaching basic security practices. If you want to promote quickly you can, but your basically working with people from the Denver airport who were hired to fill vacancies. Mandatory overtime almost daily and horrible security and safety. If you need a job that pays decently its great, but other than that I would not recommend this job to anoyone.
Pros
Payscale starting out
Cons
No safety and security, horrible management, mandatory overtime.
Working for DOC isn't for everyone. Can be stressful and dangerous.
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COAugust 30, 2017
Life working in a prison environment is not for everyone. Can be stressful. Dangerous and can affect your home life. Dealing with inmates is not the only problem you deal with some staff including upper management isn't always easy.
Everyone is close, like a family
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COAugust 22, 2017
The DoC is a small, tight knit community. Everyone knows everyone, which makes it a great place, because you know someone will always have your back and assist you. The management were some of the best people I've ever had the chance to work with. I've learned a lot for both on and off duty that I will take with me in the future and use, which I believe will be extremely beneficial to future employers. The worst part was dealing with unruly offenders when they were at their worst. The best part was the fellow officers I served with.
Pros
The staff and officers
Cons
The offenders
Necessary but not desireable
Core Subjects Tutor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, COAugust 22, 2017
A necessary job that required fortitude and determination under less than desirable working conditions in a mostly hostile work environment. Advancement is limited by top heavy job placement.
Pros
Government employer
Cons
Hostile and unfriendly work enviroment
Good work
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 16, 2017
You work in a prison so if you are not willing to do that this is probably not the place for you. It is very political and can wear on you if you do not have the right mind set.
Job with opportunity and advancesment.
Sergeant / CO II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 11, 2017
Great place for advancement with opportunity to learn from proven mentors. During my time there, meeting the organization's mission and value while providing safety and security to the public and staff was a top priority.
Pros
Very good benifits.
Cons
Not for everyone, only level headed and career minded.
Not very organized
Electronics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Limon Correctional Facility, COJuly 27, 2017
For being a state entity the DOC is not very organized especially with the things that they do on the maintenance side of the facilities. Lost of waste.
A secure facility housing offenders in a correctional setting.
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Sterling, COJuly 9, 2017
In 1993 through 2003 correctional facilities made work life very difficult for women and minorities, through harassment, racism, degradation and pretense. I did not know that some jobs were designed for one type of people or gender, but I was told that I was taking a job away from a qualified white male.

The cooperation is responsible when they deny the problems and do nothing to change it.
Terrible place to work
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Buena Vista, COJuly 5, 2017
Wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy, they treat you like dirt, over work you and call it mandatory. If you don't work the overtime they tell you to work, you get in trouble. Nothing is guaranteed and you will work a minimum of 6 day work weeks. The benefits at Walmart with a 401k are way better
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
ok place to work
HP II Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Sterling, COJune 25, 2017
staff is good, management is a bureaucracy. The work load was okay. There were good and bad issues to this work. In the end the position was not what I wanted to do.
not the best job in the world but pays the bills
Technician IV (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 21, 2017
a day in the life of a correctional officer is never easy. Some days are easier than others depending on offender behavior. Many staff members quickly become disgruntled due to offender behavior along with policy on handling offenders. The management is some cases are great in others not so much. Just depends on where you work. The ability to promote is one of the great things about this job, however, that isn't always easy either. Overall I would say some changes need to be made to make this job a little more bearable.
Pros
good pay
Cons
disgruntled employees
Pros and Cons to every employer
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 13, 2017
I enjoy what I do at work and my work area, although the workplace culture at the facility is not so great. Management has made it clear that staff's personal issues basically do not matter. I interpret that as your staff do not matter. The needs of the Department is what matters. Over the years of working here, I had to fully change my career path and stray away from law enforcement to Administrative duties. I learned that is what I'm actually good at. This company, under a different appointing authority, gave me the opportunity to transfer from an Officer to a Admin Assist. to better my life. I am very greatful for that opportunity. The one thing I am disappointed about is this business is it offers not opportunity for work from home positions. As a parent, I would of enjoyed more time with my little one when she was born. An improvement from my opinion is there needs to be better current advancement such as a better merit raise every year for the skyrocketing cost living because of the increasing economy in Denver. I do believe that every employer has their pros and cons.
Pros
Great retirement.
Cons
Not compensating enough for the raising cost of living.
Behind the bars
Corrections Officer I (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 12, 2017
This department is one of the best in the nation. Unfortunately, this nations facilities and practices are far substandard from many other western nations.
Pros
A sense of purpose in serving the community within a law enforcement setting.
Cons
Dangerous job at times. Many assaults on officers, some have been fatal.
Stressful
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Cañon City, COMay 23, 2017
Job is good however work practices are difficult. Management does not care and you will be told to deal with difficulties without much support, if any at all. We are required to go on call for a week, will not get paid extra because we are salary and are still required to work our regular day job as well. On-call means that we are working 24/7 for a week straight.
Benefits
Cons
Overworked, mandatory on-call hours without adequate compensation
Every day is different
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 18, 2017
It is prison, so there are always dangers, but the level of diversity is amazing. You will meet new and interesting people and will learn a lot about human nature.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Dangerous
Hard to work for
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COMay 3, 2017
CDOC was hard to work for when having to juggle a family as a single parent and if you have a disability. I was fired when out on short term disability.They did not allow me to have the appropriate amount of time to begin recovery. They are not willing to work with time off needed during a time of struggling. I would not say they do not have good management or job security in the professional line. Advancement in the administrative series is almost impossible.
No room for Advancement
Clinical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COApril 30, 2017
Not a very hard job to do. Very political. I felt that it was a reasonably safe environment and the inmates were generally respectful. The culture of the workplace was the most difficult. The hardest part of the job was dealing with incompetence and the good ol' boy politics. There was no room for advancement unless you know someone. The most enjoyable part of the job was going home everyday.
Tough Environment to work
Correctional Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Limon, COApril 26, 2017
Working in a prison can be tough on staff. Tends to be negative and a lot of staff conflict. Advancement was quick if scoring well on exams. minimal overtime but at times mandatory.
A challenging and multifaceted position!
Quality Improvement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 21, 2017
Initially my responsibilities were to research and develop QA reports on program compliance for the Alcohol and Drug program. Being a state organization the Behavioral Health division of the Colorado DOC undergoes numerous changes in leadership. This reality led to my inclusion, with my A&D responsibilities, to another unit where my responsibilities enlarged to include monitoring complaints from staff concerning behavioral health.

A typical day would include accessing the state/agency computer network to research new cases, contacting the author of each case, researching the validity of the complaint via interviews, facility visits, medical record reviews and consultations with my supervisor. I might also make on-site visits to A&D programs for a medical records review, after which I would provide a statical and written report to the A&D program manager, director and staff. I could also be involved with various meetings and/or attend training.

This position exposed me to opportunities that enhanced my abilities to provide training, facilitate problem resolution, policy revisions, program modifications, and committee leadership.

I encountered challenges as many of my decisions affected the employment status or job performance reviews or staff and/or the type/level of mental health care of DOC inmates. Also, the many responsibilities required careful strategic planning to insure timely completion of projects and reports.

The opportunities that challenged me also provided me with the rewards of adapting to numerous supervisory changes which would typically provide
  more... changes in responsibilities, processes and procedures. Though at times feeling overwhelmed, I found I grew as a professional and a leader in my efforts to meet these challenges.  less
Pros
Intense exposure to program monitoring, report writing, investigations, and problem-solving.
Cons
The many changes in leadership were challenging.
perfere not to say- unethical- and quick to judge
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 16, 2017
staff will cut your throat before an inmate does... literally speaking
You will be fine if you go in being a hard core person and kissing butt. If you are not on the like page forget it ... they will destroy you.
Pros
money
Cons
staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colorado Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9