Colorado Department of Human Services Employee Reviews

Good parts, but terrible executive management
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 31, 2015
There is a good work/life balance at CDHS, and the job is relatively safe so long as there aren't major overhauls in local politics. That said, the executive management team have been featured a number of times in articles published by the Denver Post, about retaliatory work culture, questionable ethics and practices, and lack of transparency with the legislature. I think that, if they eventually leave and there is leadership changes, the agency will return to being a positive place to work and develop one's career.
Pros
centrally located downtown, reliable pay rates, decent benefits overall
Cons
poor upper management, lack of opportunity for advancement, no compensation for degree level
Joke
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pueblo West, COJuly 22, 2016
This job is a joke. It doesn't Matter hoe hard you work it's a dead end, they retaliate against you and treat cna s poorly. They force mandatory over time, so if you have a life this place isn't for you. I've been here 6 months and wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy
Very supressive
Driver License Examiner (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COAugust 30, 2016
Management is poorly trained and lacks management skills. No upward mobility or pay raises. Volume of customers out way the ability to process documents and meet management expectations.
Dead end job
Pipe Mechanical Trades (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 9, 2013
Started working with CDHS with promises of career enhancement, flexible hours, and management opportunities. Fast forward 6 years later; All management has been hired from the outside, flex time has been denied numerous times because of organizational need supposedly, although the state says flex time should be used wherever possible. Management is "the good ole boy club" you have to kiss up in order to recieve a good score on your pmap ( pmap is the employee rating system) after 6 years I've had it with broken promises and bad decisions.
Pros
holidays off
Cons
no management direction, no advancement opportunities, no work life balance, no opportunity for pay raise's
Friendly and caring work environment
Administrative Assistant Intern (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 5, 2012
As an administrative assistant intern to the staff of the Executive Director's Office (EDO) I was offered the opportunity to learn the basics of working in a fast paced office environment. I learned the routines and needs of 5+ members of the EDO and was included in many of the different processes that each was involved in for their respecive office.

The Executive Director and his staff were very warm and supportive during my internship. The feel in the environment was postive.

Everyone I worked with within CDHS seemed to truly have a drive to give back to their community through their position.

The hardest part of this internship has been realizing that in the beginning I did not have the attention to detail I thought I did. It is never easy to look at ones shortfalls. But luckily I worked with very generous and kind people who taught me to see that and how to grow better in that area.
Pros
free education!
Cons
none that i could tell in two months
Serious problems
Youth Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 16, 2015
Working for CDHS at DYC was the a bad experience for me. I do not want to make it sound bad, but if you are thinking about working troubled teens you probably should look somewhere else. The current state of the division is doing a bad job of rehabilitating the youth. Currently, DYC is a very dangerous place to work. Unlike police officers and correctional officers, the front line staff are not giving the tools to defend themselves against violent offenders. I would not recommend working there until some major changes are made.
Pros
good pay
Cons
unsafe working environment, hostile administration, no personal life
Not for the feint of heart
Technician III (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 4, 2013
Too bizarre...I can't talk about it. Supervisors act as managers. Infighting and politics are rampant. Wish I could say something good. Oh, wait.....at least the checks don't bounce (yet).
Pros
no comment
Cons
no comment
A great place to work with opportunity to advance
Outside Medical Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, ColoradoAugust 3, 2014
A typical day at work consists of routine duties as well as many additional tasks as the day progresses.
Management is very supportive of the staff and co-workers mostly work together to make a difference.
Poor Management, way understaffed, good ol boy's club
Youth Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COJuly 30, 2014
The juvenile inmates run the place, it is like day camp or summer camp for them, they know you can't do anything punative to them. Day care for juveniles.
Pros
non
Cons
no room for advancement, high turnover
Colorado Department of Human Services.
Screen Printing Technician (Current Employee) –  Golden, COOctober 18, 2013
A typical day of work started with a quick briefing of all requirements to meet vendor specifications. I worked with a great team of six others who all had great qualities. The management style of my direct supervisor was very relaxed as long as everyone was on task and working toward mastery of their position and duties. I learned, or tried to learn something every day. This was made easier by the fact that I was able to work with such an experienced boss, as well as with inexperienced staff. The hardest part of the position was that there were many volunteers that would start the position, get trained, and then move on to other places and leave the team with a missing piece. This was difficult for two reasons, The first reason that this was difficult for me was because I spent a lot of time focusing on getting someone ready to be part of the team and by the time they were ready to work, they would leave. The second reason that this was difficult for me was because I really enjoy working with people after I get to know them. I feel that people who know each other can create a more effective and efficient work environment through synergy than two people who are strangers. The most rewarding part of my day was seeing the final project complete. Knowing that my team can accomplish a difficult task and do so while meeting time and quality requirements gave me the best feeling I have had in the work environment.
Pros
challenging work, fun, satisfying
Cons
turn over
Productive work environment with a lot of personality
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 26, 2013
Working for the Department of Human services has provided me with the work ethics that can make you want to wake up and go to work and not fill like it's an activity that just fills time. I enjoyed working with my team members and had no problem helping them out.
Pros
social environment, flexable work. positive communication
Cons
dirty jobs.
Stable workload
Disability Determination Services Examiner (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 5, 2012
Lack of specialized training, heavy workload, little upward mobility, nice coworkers
Pros
pleasant coworkers
Cons
lack of employee engagement
Its ok
CYSO1 (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMay 22, 2013
hard to work for some people. They only treat you like a number some times. People only watch out for themselves no one else.
Pros
vacations off
Cons
no breaks.
File Bank
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 11, 2013
Updating files, also removing old files and boxing them for storage pick up. Making new files and upgrading for the file bank.

2.6