Colorado Department of Human Services Employee Reviews

OK place to work, sometimes boring
Program Policy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 13, 2017
Working with the State was sometimes good and sometimes bad. You would go from being very busy to nothing to do.
It was hard to get approval from developers of the system to make Federally mandated changes due to budget and time frames.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, Advancement opprotunities
Cons
Slow Paced, Frustrating to get what you need accomplished due to the lack of support from programers.
Safety
Clinical Youth Security Officer I (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COJuly 18, 2017
There is minimal staff safety. The division continues to remove vital tools corrections officers used in order to protect youth from being injured but in reality staff are in now more dangerous environment.
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 11, 2017
Good team work environment. Fast paced but low turnover and staff works well together. Would recommend. Parking issues because job is downtown. Overall a good working environment.
Worst job ever due to employees and management in 2004 through 2007
Human Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 7, 2017
During the time I worked there from 2004 through 2007, the Colorado Human Services at the Federal location and the East location was the worst working environment that I have ever worked in, during my entire life. I hope things are better now.
Pros
Pay was ok
Cons
Just a horrible place to work from 2005 through 2007
Workplace culture
SNAP Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 1, 2017
There is no typical day here. Every day is different. There isn't much direction, but if you're self-motivated and use your resources, you'll do fine.
Stressful
Psychologist candidate (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, COFebruary 16, 2017
Dangerous Patients attack staff. Staff get hurt regularly. Patients rarely get charged. Not enough staff always short staffed. Stressful work environment
Pros
Position
Cons
Dangerous
Hands Tied.
Therapist (Former Employee) –  DenverJanuary 16, 2017
Too much red tape to do meaningful work. Little to no room for financial growth which has led to high turnover. Need some support from the Governor.
Not for everyone
Don't want to say (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 10, 2016
The worklife balance depends on the department. Since there is so much opportunity for advancement that means when someone in your group leaves then you have to pick up their slack. That throws the whole work life balance out the window. If you are coming into government from a midsize company with a family feel where there is lots of understanding for things like your dog dying then don't go to government. It's more like a cattle situation. The work is like assembly line type of work. So it all depends on your personality. If you currently have a ton of freedom with your current position then this isn't the right fit for you. If you don't like doing the same exact task all day then this large of an organization would not be for you. The particular department is very low funded. They only vacuum once a month and that doesn't include your cube. Someone only vacuums cubes twice a year. I hate to say this but there are roaches at the building downtown. You hardly see them. I've only seen two. But just knowing they are there is disgusting. I mistakenly thought government would get normal raises i learned that is not the case.
Pros
Getting PERA
Cons
For me alot of cons coming from private sector. Just depends on what you are ok with.
Helping our youth
CYSO I (Current Employee) –  Golden, CONovember 23, 2016
Interaction with the troubled youth in the facility. Helping them with their daily routines & guiding them to a hopeful future. This job isn't for everyone. However, if you want to help the vulnerable population in our societies, this is a great career. Lots of room for advancement. Great benefits & time paid off.
Very supressive
Driver License Examiner (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COAugust 30, 2016
Management is poorly trained and lacks management skills. No upward mobility or pay raises. Volume of customers out way the ability to process documents and meet management expectations.
Joke
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pueblo West, COJuly 22, 2016
This job is a joke. It doesn't Matter hoe hard you work it's a dead end, they retaliate against you and treat cna s poorly. They force mandatory over time, so if you have a life this place isn't for you. I've been here 6 months and wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy
Personal feel good benifits
Licensed Psychiatric Technician-DD (Former Employee) –  Wheat ridge, ColoradoJuly 20, 2015
A great place to work, so many helpful people who care about the people that they are working for as well as personal benefits that cannot expect to be compensated for.
Pros
great training
Cons
poor communication
Good parts, but terrible executive management
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 31, 2015
There is a good work/life balance at CDHS, and the job is relatively safe so long as there aren't major overhauls in local politics. That said, the executive management team have been featured a number of times in articles published by the Denver Post, about retaliatory work culture, questionable ethics and practices, and lack of transparency with the legislature. I think that, if they eventually leave and there is leadership changes, the agency will return to being a positive place to work and develop one's career.
Pros
centrally located downtown, reliable pay rates, decent benefits overall
Cons
poor upper management, lack of opportunity for advancement, no compensation for degree level
Serious problems
Youth Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 16, 2015
Working for CDHS at DYC was the a bad experience for me. I do not want to make it sound bad, but if you are thinking about working troubled teens you probably should look somewhere else. The current state of the division is doing a bad job of rehabilitating the youth. Currently, DYC is a very dangerous place to work. Unlike police officers and correctional officers, the front line staff are not giving the tools to defend themselves against violent offenders. I would not recommend working there until some major changes are made.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
unsafe working environment, hostile administration, no personal life
A great place to work with opportunity to advance
Outside Medical Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, ColoradoAugust 3, 2014
A typical day at work consists of routine duties as well as many additional tasks as the day progresses.
Management is very supportive of the staff and co-workers mostly work together to make a difference.
Poor Management, way understaffed, good ol boy's club
Youth Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COJuly 30, 2014
The juvenile inmates run the place, it is like day camp or summer camp for them, they know you can't do anything punative to them. Day care for juveniles.
Pros
Non
Cons
No room for advancement, HIGH turnover
Not for the feint of heart
Technician III (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 4, 2013
Too bizarre...I can't talk about it. Supervisors act as managers. Infighting and politics are rampant. Wish I could say something good. Oh, wait.....at least the checks don't bounce (yet).
Pros
no comment
Cons
no comment
Colorado Department of Human Services.
Screen Printing Technician (Current Employee) –  Golden, COOctober 18, 2013
A typical day of work started with a quick briefing of all requirements to meet vendor specifications. I worked with a great team of six others who all had great qualities. The management style of my direct supervisor was very relaxed as long as everyone was on task and working toward mastery of their position and duties. I learned, or tried to learn something every day. This was made easier by the fact that I was able to work with such an experienced boss, as well as with inexperienced staff. The hardest part of the position was that there were many volunteers that would start the position, get trained, and then move on to other places and leave the team with a missing piece. This was difficult for two reasons, The first reason that this was difficult for me was because I spent a lot of time focusing on getting someone ready to be part of the team and by the time they were ready to work, they would leave. The second reason that this was difficult for me was because I really enjoy working with people after I get to know them. I feel that people who know each other can create a more effective and efficient work environment through synergy than two people who are strangers. The most rewarding part of my day was seeing the final project complete. Knowing that my team can accomplish a difficult task and do so while meeting time and quality requirements gave me the best feeling I have had in the work environment.
Pros
challenging work, fun, satisfying
Cons
turn over
Productive work environment with a lot of personality
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 26, 2013
Working for the Department of Human services has provided me with the work ethics that can make you want to wake up and go to work and not fill like it's an activity that just fills time. I enjoyed working with my team members and had no problem helping them out.
Pros
Social environment, Flexable work. positive communication
Cons
Dirty Jobs.
Its ok
CYSO1 (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMay 22, 2013
hard to work for some people. They only treat you like a number some times. People only watch out for themselves no one else.
Pros
vacations off
Cons
no breaks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Colorado Department of Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6